Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 200
  1. #76
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Exactly.
    He was serious as far as I can tell.

  2. #77
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,257
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,879 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Exactly.
    So you're saying that the PS3 has been trending downwards with games? and 360 is up? Explain how.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well, ya know when you cant actually produce games for the first 2 and 1/2 years, and then have the shortest lifespan of the current HD gen, I'm sure you going to produce more games "now".
    I don't get this part. Are you saying that naturally you're going to produce more games because the console came out later than the other one? Well, you can look at it that way but that is also a bad thing for the PS3 as the generation is ending, it's not going to keep going just because PS3 came in late.

    The only difference between the two consoles has been that Sony continued to support it more.

    ON the other hand, I recall playing really great games for the past 7 years constantly.

    What were YOU playing when I was playing Bioshock?
    Hmm let me think: Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Motorstorm, Oblivion.

    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    He was serious as far as I can tell.
    I'm trying to figure out what he meant there.

  3. #78
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So you're saying that the PS3 has been trending downwards with games? and 360 is up? Explain how.
    I don't get this part. Are you saying that naturally you're going to produce more games because the console came out later than the other one? Well, you can look at it that way but that is also a bad thing for the PS3 as the generation is ending, it's not going to keep going just because PS3 came in late.
    No I'm saying they produced next to nothing from their studios for the first 2 1/2 years of its life, if it weren't for Insomniac the PS3 would have had virtually nothing in that time.
    The only difference between the two consoles has been that Sony continued to support it more.
    As opposed ot no support at the start?
    Hmm let me think: Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Motorstorm, Oblivion.
    So launch games then.

    Its historically inaccurate to suggest people didn't enjoy games on the 360 because they don't have many exlcusives now.

    The fact is the 360 has some stonking titles at a time when you were playing nothing, absolutely nothing. Folding at home was the most popular title for some time.

    Whilst we had to choose between Forza 2, PGR 4, Bioshock, Oblivion, Forza 3, Mass Effect, people still were waiting for GT5 to arrive..and they would wait for sometime.

    The Ps3 continues to deliver exclusives.

    Yes yes it does. But it started delivering them very late in the piece.
    The 360 still delivers exclusives too, just not as many any more.
    With the plethora of quality 3rd party titles these days, it doesn't need to either.

    I'm sure this situation is being rectified by Sony, infact we know it is, cause even they have admitted they screwed the pooch and it is one of the key goals of the PS4 to hit the ground running.

    But ya know what, 2008 me, would ask what crack you were on if you somehow suggested that games back then didn't matter. (Hey 2008 me, Gears of War 2, Forza 4, PGR 4, etc etc they all dont matter!)

    2013 me is too busy with the huge back catalog of 3rd party stonkers to care (looks at Dark Souls, Darksiders II, Batman: AC, Red Dead, Hitman:Abs, Xcom sitting on shelf).

    I'm trying to figure out what he meant there.
    Last edited by mynd; 05-07-2013 at 00:30.

  4. #79
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Aside from the 3 flagship retail exclusives I notice as of late MS has been releasing exclusives via XBLA although not as high production as retail. I assume because they dont want to invest in high production new exclusives this late in the gen. But I do like how Sony does it even if it may not be business savvy. But as a gamer/consumer I like it.

  5. #80
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,257
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,879 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    No Im saying they produced next to nothing from their studios for the first 2 1/2 years of its life, if it weren't for Insomniac the PS3 would have had virtually nothing.

    As opposed ot no support at the start?

    So launch games then.
    Ummm, Motorstorm came in in US in March. Virtua Fighter 5 in February. MS was launch for Japan, not for US. And these are games I was playing, I'm not adding games that I don't like.

    I'm not denying that PS3 had a lack of games in the beginning but you should not avoid the fact that the trend has been downwards for the 360 since 2009. e.g. 360 had halo wars, halo odst, forza 3, l4d2.

    PS3 had demon souls, prologue, killzone 2, yakuza 3, infamous, katamari forever, uc2, and average titles but still known well, 3d dot heroes, rachet and clank.

    so while the first couple of years were rough, (although I'd argue that 2008 got much better than 2007), Sony delivered and made up for the drought more than enough whereas MS has just been ignoring the whole thing since then.

    Its historically inaccurate to suggest people didn't enjoy games on the 360 because they don't have many exlcusives now.
    Not saying that in any way, that's subjective.

    The fact is the 360 has some stonking titles at a time when you were playing nothing, absolutely nothing. Folding at home was the most popular title for some time.
    lol now you're exaggerating, we did have titles to play, just that 360 was in its second year so obviously it was booming.

    Whilst we had to choose between Forza 2, PGR 4, Bioshock, Oblivion, Forza 3, Mass Effect, people still were waiting for GT5 to arrive..and they would wait for sometime.
    Yea except PGR4 came out much later in 2007 so that changes things a bit. Forza 3 came out at the end of 2009, why put that out there lol. ME Nov 2007 and then you throw in GT5 like that's the only game we were waiting on lol. Well I guess if it fits your argument, you have proven to us that there's no way PS3 could've ever sold more than the 360 year on year...because it didn't have games until GT5! while the 360 users had all the games you listed.

    Good job sir.

    The Ps3 continues to deliver exclusives.

    Yes yes i does. But it started delivering them very late in the piece.
    The 360 still delivers exlcuieves too, just not as many any more.
    With the pleathora of quality 3rd party titles these days, it doesnt need to either.
    That's your opinion. More games have never been bad. Trust me. Now if you mean to outsell the PS3 in NA only then sure I agree, but overall yes, they do need more games. however, the price cuts and deals are definitely working.

    EDIT: My answer to your edit
    But ya know what, 2008 me, would ask what crack you were on if you somehow suggested that games back then didn't matter. (Hey 2008 me, Gears of War 2, Forza 4, PGR 4, etc etc they all dont matter!)
    Ok, I think both consoles were neck to neck that year. Everybody's Golf 5, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, LBP, Naruto, MS: Pacific ridge, and some ok titles like WKC, SOCOM, Afrika, Resistance 2 and I won't even count Haze.

    Sony had a pretty bomb-ass year too.
    Last edited by Omar; 05-07-2013 at 00:52.

  6. #81
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Ummm, Motorstorm came in in US in March. Virtua Fighter 5 in February. MS was launch for Japan, not for US. And these are games I was playing, I'm not adding games that I don't like.

    I'm not denying that PS3 had a lack of games in the beginning but you should not avoid the fact that the trend has been downwards for the 360 since 2009. e.g. 360 had halo wars, halo odst, forza 3, l4d2.

    PS3 had demon souls, prologue, killzone 2, yakuza 3, infamous, katamari forever, uc2, and average titles but still known well, 3d dot heroes, rachet and clank.

    so while the first couple of years were rough, (although I'd argue that 2008 got much better than 2007), Sony delivered and made up for the drought more than enough whereas MS has just been ignoring the whole thing since then.
    Who the hell cares? If I look at it in terms of "games to play", the number every year hasn't really changed on the 360 at all. If it started with 20 a year and 10 of them were exclusives, and now its 20 a years and 17 of the a third party, why would it matter?
    Not saying that in any way, that's subjective.

    lol now you're exaggerating, we did have titles to play, just that 360 was in its second year so obviously it was booming.
    2008? 3rd year, and the Sony couldn't even come close in 2008 to what MS produced in 2007 without relying heavily on Japanese devs that weren't even Sony stable.

    Yea except PGR4 came out much later in 2007 so that changes things a bit. Forza 3 came out at the end of 2009, why put that out there lol. ME Nov 2007 and then you throw in GT5 like that's the only game we were waiting on lol. Well I guess if it fits your argument, you have proven to us that there's no way PS3 could've ever sold more than the 360 year on year...because it didn't have games until GT5! while the 360 users had all the games you listed.
    Yeha my bad with Forza 3, I meant PGR3.
    Good job sir.


    That's your opinion. More games have never been bad. Trust me. Now if you mean to outsell the PS3 in NA only then sure I agree, but overall yes, they do need more games. however, the price cuts and deals are definitely working.

    EDIT: My answer to your edit

    Ok, I think both consoles were neck to neck that year. Everybody's Golf 5, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, LBP, Naruto, MS: Pacific ridge, and some ok titles like WKC, SOCOM, Afrika, Resistance 2 and I won't even count Haze.

    Sony had a pretty bomb-ass year too.

  7. #82
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,751
    Rep Power
    118
    Points
    67,260 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    2008 was the turnaround year for PS3 as far as exclusives; MGS4, Resistance 2, MotorStorm PR, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronices etc. I enjoyed all of them except PR.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  8. #83
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    2008 was the turnaround year for PS3 as far as exclusives; MGS4, Resistance 2, MotorStorm PR, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronices etc. I enjoyed all of them except PR.
    And only 3 of them were actually Sony's doing. Fruits of Japanese devs sticking with who they knew, more luck than design on Sony's part.

  9. #84
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,257
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,879 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Who the hell cares? If I look at it in terms of "games to play", the number every year hasn't really changed on the 360 at all. If it started with 20 a year and 10 of them were exclusives, and now its 20 a years and 17 of the a third party, why would it matter?
    beeecauussssssseee they both have the third party games? think about it. you don't care, what about the rest?

    2008? 3rd year, and the Sony couldn't even come close in 2008 to what MS produced in 2007 without relying heavily on Japanese devs that weren't even Sony stable.
    Are you serious? They had like PGR4, Halo 3, Crackdown and Forza 2 being the only games worth mentioning. Now it was better than Sony's 2007 for sure but 2008? look again at the 2008 list.

    Yeha my bad with Forza 3, I meant PGR3.
    Still, you shot down a couple of games I mentioned because they were "launch" and yet when it came to you, you wanted to add PGR3? lolers.

    Dude, I'm not saying in any way that 360 is a bad console, I have criticized the PS3 plenty in its early years and for the lack of features, screw up with Blu-ray, price, split RAM, you name it.

    I was willing to skip Sony next-gen and either go PC or the next Xbox (I almost built a new PC a few months ago until I heard about the PS4 reveal), had they not listened to our complaints and I'm still not 100% sure yet, I'm not "likely" going to by the PS4 on launch.

    But seriously dude, take off the goggles, see it as it is, that's all I ask. Stop bullshitting yourselves. It's just a damn console.

    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    And only 3 of them were actually Sony's doing. Fruits of Japanese devs sticking with who they knew, more luck than design on Sony's part.
    I don't even get what you're saying anymore lol. It's like Aquanox's talk about the fake GT effects lol. What?

  10. #85
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,751
    Rep Power
    118
    Points
    67,260 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    And only 3 of them were actually Sony's doing. Fruits of Japanese devs sticking with who they knew, more luck than design on Sony's part.
    Err well yeah I expect Japanese devs to develop for Japanese consoles, that's how it should be, not having some random American company busting in throwing cash around acting like big shots. That's why I never bought any of their consoles and probably never will because that kinda business is dirty and is the reason why we have BS exclusive DLC and why some games get DLC when they wouldn't otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  11. #86
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,257
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,879 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yea I'll take the lucky console!

    Well I guess we can discount games that came out on the 360 until PS3 came out then? lulz to be had.
    Last edited by Omar; 05-07-2013 at 01:24.

  12. #87
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    beeecauussssssseee they both have the third party games? think about it. you don't care, what about the rest?
    I can afford the time of the money to buy 3rd party games out now, yet alone the the rest.
    It pretty obvious from sales, that most people have to pick and choose their tiles wisley these days.

    Are you serious? They had like PGR4, Halo 3, Crackdown and Forza 2 being the only games worth mentioning. Now it was better than Sony's 2007 for sure but 2008? look again at the 2008 list.
    Silly me, Bioshock, Mass Effect aren't worthy, both built on publishing agreements by MS.
    Still, you shot down a couple of games I mentioned because they were "launch" and yet when it came to you, you wanted to add PGR3? lolers.

    Dude, I'm not saying in any way that 360 is a bad console, I have criticized the PS3 plenty in its early years and for the lack of features, screw up with Blu-ray, price, split RAM, you name it.

    I was willing to skip Sony next-gen and either go PC or the next Xbox (I almost built a new PC a few months ago until I heard about the PS4 reveal), had they not listened to our complaints and I'm still not 100% sure yet, I'm not "likely" going to by the PS4 on launch.

    But seriously dude, take off the goggles, see it as it is, that's all I ask. Stop bullshitting yourselves. It's just a damn console.
    You guys are on crack.

    Halo 3
    Forza 2
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Crackdown
    PGR 4

    and dismiss them as being not as good as Everybodys golf 5 and Resistance 2. The only worthy titles amongst 2008 for Sony was LBP and MGS4.

    $#@! me, there is no point in you guys ever ever even looking at the otherside, you don't even like games.

    Hell, even I own the MGS, and DMC collections because I like games.
    Last edited by mynd; 05-07-2013 at 01:37.

  13. #88
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,751
    Rep Power
    118
    Points
    67,260 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Resistance 2 not worthy? I liked it way better than the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  14. #89
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,257
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,879 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I can afford the time of the money to buy 3rd party games out now, yet alone the the rest.
    It pretty obvious from sales, that most people have to pick and choose their tiles wisley these days.
    I'm not disagreeing with that, but that's your own opinion. My opinion is that 99% of the games out there are $#@!. No one cares about my opinion.

    Silly me, Bioshock, Mass Effect aren't worthy, both built on publishing agreements by MS.


    You guys are on crack.

    Halo 3
    Forza 2
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Crackdown
    PGR 4

    and dismiss them as being not as good as Everybodys golf 5 and Resistance 2.

    $#@! me, there is not point in you guys ever ever even looking at the othe rside, you don't even like games.

    Hell, even I own the MGS, and DMC collections because I like games.
    chill out man, i mistakenly missed bioshock and ME, i was doing a quick search on google. i don't keep track of what games came out when.

    and i never said they were not as good as Everybody Golf 5 and Resistance 2, i even mentioned R2 being an average game. But again, that fits your argument . You know you got them goggles on and now you's mad. My bad sir, you could've just simply corrected me, like you did before the rage edit lol.

    oh and don't fool us into thinking you like games, weren't you one of the people that would rather have Sony spend on marketing than some of the B titles like SOCOM/LBP2 etc.? Don't remember, but I know you don't appreciate games outside the Xbox, liking a couple of series doesn't change that, those are outliers.
    Last edited by Omar; 05-07-2013 at 01:42.

  15. #90
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Resistance 2 not worthy? I liked it way better than the first.
    You were in the minority, its no that its not worthy, but really what your going to compare it to Halo 3 or Mass Effect and says it comes of the better and bigger game?

  16. #91
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with that, but that's your own opinion. My opinion is that 99% of the games out there are $#@!. No one cares about my opinion.


    chill out man, i mistakenly missed bioshock and ME, i was doing a quick search on google. i don't keep track of what games came out when.

    and i never said they were not as good as Everybody Golf 5 and Resistance 2, i even mentioned R2 being an average game. But again, that fits your argument . You know you got them goggles on and now you's mad. My bad sir, you could've just simply corrected me, like you did before the rage edit lol.

    oh and don't fool us into thinking you like games, weren't you one of the people that would rather have Sony spend on marketing than some of the B titles like SOCOM/LBP2 etc.? Don't remember, but I know you don't appreciate games outside the Xbox, liking a couple of series doesn't change that, those are outliers.
    Lets put it this way, what I want from a console, is quality titles from day 1. And when others wont support it, I want the 1st party offering to supplement and bolster the games I can get for the system, so I'm never without games.

    I don't care if they are exclusive or not, I just want good games to play on the system.

    That's the job of 1st party. And more specifically at the start of a generation, its also their job to raise the standard of what is acceptable and capable of being done on the specific hardware.

    At some point, the quality and quantity of 3rd party pass's or equals those offerings at which point the console manufacturer does what they were geared up to do, take the cream off the top of third party sales, and rake in the money. What Sony did instead was continue to try and compete with 3rd party offerings instead of pairing back focusing on marketing.

    But its important, really really important that 1st party studios be there at the beginning of each gen to get the ball rolling.

    I don't believe, and neither does Sony, that they did that, and they did each and every single early adopter a huge dis-service last gen.

    I DONT expect that to happen this next generation.

    Its ironic that you suggest I don't like games because I don't think Sony should have pursued dead end titles, and rather they had spent the money on marketing, but guess what "GREAT GAMES DON'T COME JUST FROM SONY".

    Most great games are in fact not from 1st party studios. The best a 1st party studio can do is identify and leverage as much as they can form 3rd party developers.

    When you see a title sell 7 million units world wide, what should you do.

    Dam right you snuggle up next to the devil and market the hell out of their game on your system.

    What you don't do is green light Resistance 3 in hopes it can compete in the FPS genre
    Last edited by mynd; 05-07-2013 at 02:08.

  17. #92
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,751
    Rep Power
    118
    Points
    67,260 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    You were in the minority, its no that its not worthy, but really what your going to compare it to Halo 3 or Mass Effect and says it comes of the better and bigger game?
    Why would you need to compare it another game to enjoy it? That's like comparing Forza to GT, even though it's nowhere near as big and never will be, doesn't stop you enjoying Forza.

    I don't really get what point you're trying to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  18. #93
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Why would you need to compare it another game to enjoy it? That's like comparing Forza to GT, even though it's nowhere near as big and never will be, doesn't stop you enjoying Forza.

    I don't really get what point you're trying to make.
    I was only responding to you suggesting it wasn't worthy?
    Last edited by mynd; 05-07-2013 at 03:54.

  19. #94
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,257
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,879 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Lets put it this way, what I want from a console, is quality titles from day 1. And when others wont support it, I want the 1st party offering to supplement and bolster the games I can get for the system, so I'm never without games.

    I don't care if they are exclusive or not, I just want good games to play on the system.

    That's the job of 1st party. And more specifically at the start of a generation, its also their job to raise the standard of what is acceptable and capable of being done on the specific hardware.

    At some point, the quality and quantity of 3rd party pass's or equals those offerings at which point the console manufacturer does what they were geared up to do, take the cream off the top of third party sales, and rake in the money. What Sony did instead was continue to try and compete with 3rd party offerings instead of pairing back focusing on marketing.

    But its important, really really important that 1st party studios be there at the beginning of each gen to get the ball rolling.

    I don't believe, and neither does Sony, that they did that, and they did each and every single early adopter a huge dis-service last gen.
    You're making it a bigger deal than it is. While I agree Sony could've done a better job at launch as MS was supposed to be a launch title, Microsoft didn't do that much better either, not to the extent of dis-serving their customers. Let's see the first few months:

    Sony: Resistance, RR7, F1 and then two average titles genji and untold legends.
    MS: Kameo, Perfect Dark, PGR3 and then your average games like Every Party.

    Personally I'd take MS' launch over Sony's because I would've liked to play Kameo but Resistance was a pretty good game. I think it's co-op was second-best to Halo back then. I can't decide between PGR3/RR7 as I wouldn't care about either of those but PGR3 sold like half a mil whereas RR7 sold a mil and a half. I know RR7 is more popular.

    But really, I don't see it as a dis-service...yea they screwed up with the delays but both launches aren't that different. Resistance and PDZ were both B games. Maybe B+.

    I don't think it's that big of a difference. 2007 was where Sony really screwed up with the delays, though by mid-2008 and more specifically the launch of MGS4, I think things have gotten only better, minus the normal downward trend that comes at the end of the console life.

    I DONT expect that to happen this next generation.

    Its ironic that you suggest I don't like games because I don't think Sony should have pursued dead end titles, and rather they had spent the money on marketing, but guess what "GREAT GAMES DON'T COME JUST FROM SONY".

    Most great games are in fact not from 1st party studios. The best a 1st party studio can do is identify and leverage as much as they can form 3rd party developers.

    When you see a title sell 7 million units world wide, what should you do.

    Dam right you snuggle up next to the devil and market the hell out of their game on your system.

    What you don't do is green light Resistance 3 in hopes it can compete in the FPS genre
    I somewhat agree that they were trying to compete but so did MS with Halo, that competed more with COD than BF3 ever did. I don't think it's a big deal, Nintendo does it too, just that they're better at it.

    Yea, I think they could've skipped R3 but we already had that discussion, of course you'd say that in retrospect but you have to understand that it's much cheaper to come out with sequels then new IPs.

    And you're saying that like MS didn't ever need to skip on some of their titles lol. Come on dude, you only criticize Sony and turn a blind eye towards MS. That's the problem I'm speaking about here, if we wanna look at the picture, why not look at the whole picture. Everyone makes mistakes and does good, but what about overall?

    Overall, I can't speak for MS as some people here obviously seem to be happy 110% but in the end, I'm glad I stuck out with Sony and especially as things "seem" to be good next-gen until further notice. I do think Sony is in a much better position going next-gen...but then again, we don't know what MS is going to do so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

    Either way, I think I'll likely go with Sony as they have practically answered almost all of my gripes...now it's just about the waiting game as far as games.

    P.S. I'm probably not getting it on launch unless they answer some more questions. I still need to know their pricing structure and while the chat will be free, will sharing be free to a basic extent at least?

  20. #95
    Veteran
    daLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    56,366 (0 Banked)
    Like I said before I'm a PS3 owner myself, Sony may have come up with better exclusives in the latest year but in the end it all comes down to which console sold the most, and although this gen is not quite over, it sure hasn't been won by Sony so far.


  21. #96
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,433
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,121 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You're making it a bigger deal than it is. While I agree Sony could've done a better job at launch as MS was supposed to be a launch title, Microsoft didn't do that much better either, not to the extent of dis-serving their customers. Let's see the first few months:

    Sony: Resistance, RR7, F1 and then two average titles genji and untold legends.
    MS: Kameo, Perfect Dark, PGR3 and then your average games like Every Party.

    Personally I'd take MS' launch over Sony's because I would've liked to play Kameo but Resistance was a pretty good game. I think it's co-op was second-best to Halo back then. I can't decide between PGR3/RR7 as I wouldn't care about either of those but PGR3 sold like half a mil whereas RR7 sold a mil and a half. I know RR7 is more popular.

    But really, I don't see it as a dis-service...yea they screwed up with the delays but both launches aren't that different. Resistance and PDZ were both B games. Maybe B+.

    I don't think it's that big of a difference. 2007 was where Sony really screwed up with the delays, though by mid-2008 and more specifically the launch of MGS4, I think things have gotten only better, minus the normal downward trend that comes at the end of the console life.



    I somewhat agree that they were trying to compete but so did MS with Halo, that competed more with COD than BF3 ever did. I don't think it's a big deal, Nintendo does it too, just that they're better at it.
    You cant compare Halo with COD, Halo was an established franchise log before COD became big.
    Yea, I think they could've skipped R3 but we already had that discussion, of course you'd say that in retrospect but you have to understand that it's much cheaper to come out with sequels then new IPs.
    In the case of Resistance they didn't need to at all, unless maybe Insomniac has some sort of cast iron contract for three Resistance games?
    And you're saying that like MS didn't ever need to skip on some of their titles lol. Come on dude, you only criticize Sony and turn a blind eye towards MS. That's the problem I'm speaking about here, if we wanna look at the picture, why not look at the whole picture. Everyone makes mistakes and does good, but what about overall?
    Oh without doubt there is the Ninja Blade or two in MS's cupboard, but if anything, one could complain they have stopped taking risks.

    Taking risks in Ninja Blade, being stupid is Ninja Blade 2.
    Overall, I can't speak for MS as some people here obviously seem to be happy 110% but in the end, I'm glad I stuck out with Sony and especially as things "seem" to be good next-gen until further notice. I do think Sony is in a much better position going next-gen...but then again, we don't know what MS is going to do so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

    Either way, I think I'll likely go with Sony as they have practically answered almost all of my gripes...now it's just about the waiting game as far as games.

    P.S. I'm probably not getting it on launch unless they answer some more questions. I still need to know their pricing structure and while the chat will be free, will sharing be free to a basic extent at least?
    I have already vowed I wont be buying another console until I have finished my back catalog which runs at:

    RDR, Batman AA, Batman AC, Dark Souls,Deus Ex, Darksiders 2, LA Noire, Hitman Absolution, Assassins Creed 3, XCOM, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, Halo 4, Kingdoms of Amular, Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops, Gears:Judgement, Doom 3 , Civilisation Rev, RE4, Dirt 2 and Fallout Vegas.

    Yes they are all on the shelf looking at me.

  22. #97
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You're making it a bigger deal than it is. While I agree Sony could've done a better job at launch as MS was supposed to be a launch title, Microsoft didn't do that much better either, not to the extent of dis-serving their customers. Let's see the first few months:

    Sony: Resistance, RR7, F1 and then two average titles genji and untold legends.
    MS: Kameo, Perfect Dark, PGR3 and then your average games like Every Party.

    Personally I'd take MS' launch over Sony's because I would've liked to play Kameo but Resistance was a pretty good game. I think it's co-op was second-best to Halo back then. I can't decide between PGR3/RR7 as I wouldn't care about either of those but PGR3 sold like half a mil whereas RR7 sold a mil and a half. I know RR7 is more popular.

    But really, I don't see it as a dis-service...yea they screwed up with the delays but both launches aren't that different. Resistance and PDZ were both B games. Maybe B+.

    I don't think it's that big of a difference. 2007 was where Sony really screwed up with the delays, though by mid-2008 and more specifically the launch of MGS4, I think things have gotten only better, minus the normal downward trend that comes at the end of the console life.



    I somewhat agree that they were trying to compete but so did MS with Halo, that competed more with COD than BF3 ever did. I don't think it's a big deal, Nintendo does it too, just that they're better at it.

    Yea, I think they could've skipped R3 but we already had that discussion, of course you'd say that in retrospect but you have to understand that it's much cheaper to come out with sequels then new IPs.

    And you're saying that like MS didn't ever need to skip on some of their titles lol. Come on dude, you only criticize Sony and turn a blind eye towards MS. That's the problem I'm speaking about here, if we wanna look at the picture, why not look at the whole picture. Everyone makes mistakes and does good, but what about overall?

    Overall, I can't speak for MS as some people here obviously seem to be happy 110% but in the end, I'm glad I stuck out with Sony and especially as things "seem" to be good next-gen until further notice. I do think Sony is in a much better position going next-gen...but then again, we don't know what MS is going to do so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

    Either way, I think I'll likely go with Sony as they have practically answered almost all of my gripes...now it's just about the waiting game as far as games.

    P.S. I'm probably not getting it on launch unless they answer some more questions. I still need to know their pricing structure and while the chat will be free, will sharing be free to a basic extent at least?
    Why not go with both and stick with both? They have pleased equally.

  23. #98
    Member
    Robardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    1,114 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Why not go with both and stick with both? They have pleased equally.
    Until microsoft starts trying to bring variety with there games I'm touching not any product they make. They need some new ip that isn't another shooter.

    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

  24. #99
    Dedicated Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,307
    Rep Power
    31
    Points
    14,372 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Why not go with both and stick with both? They have pleased equally.
    Because I can only play one of them at a time?
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

  25. #100
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    3,394,444 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Because I can only play one of them at a time?
    yes, but if you own both then their is no envy or anything that would cause people to have to demean one console to reassure themselves they bought the "right" one.

    I am a gamer, pure and simple. If Sony, or MS bowed out of the gaming arena, I would not be sad as long as I had the other. I game for fun, not for one company to succeed and another to fail.

    Until that day that one doesn't exist, I will own both that way I am covered!
    LMAO

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.