Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I find it funny people are classing 2006 as a full year for PS3 and comparing it to a full 2006 line-up on 360 not only was it out for only a month but it wasn't even released in Europe, the last bit don't matter but still any logical person would use 2007 as the first year, not that it make a difference
    But its better then comparing 12 months of releases to 4-5 weeks of newly launched console.
    Regardless I see this article as how gamers won with a against all odds console. PS3 did do a 360( pun not intended) and delivered an excellent platform despite its stumbling at launch.

Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 05-07-2013 at 15:24.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    yes, but if you own both then their is no envy or anything that would cause people to have to demean one console to reassure themselves they bought the "right" one.

I am a gamer, pure and simple. If Sony, or MS bowed out of the gaming arena, I would not be sad as long as I had the other. I game for fun, not for one company to succeed and another to fail.

Until that day that one doesn't exist, I will own both that way I am covered!
    I think the same yet, I have 24 hours in a day and at most 2 hours to gaming in week, 5 hours at weekend = 20 hours to play. At most! A good title these days take around 20 to 30 hours to finish , if it has MP mode, lets say I spend 30 hours to that. 25 + 30 = 55 hours for a game to make it dusty on my shelf. So if I play alot (20 hours a week is alot ) It took my 3 weeks to be "done" with that game. there is 52 weeks in a year, so I can only have 17 games in a year.At most again. I can only get this number, if I don't speed run any tv shows or animes, only watching selected movies, not hanging around regularly with my friends, not watching my lovely football leage So basicly one console is more than enough for me.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yep, I have such a huge backlog right now, no point at all in getting a next gen system for a good few years yet.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    yes, but if you own both then their is no envy or anything that would cause people to have to demean one console to reassure themselves they bought the "right" one. I am a gamer, pure and simple. If Sony, or MS bowed out of the gaming arena, I would not be sad as long as I had the other. I game for fun, not for one company to succeed and another to fail. Until that day that one doesn't exist, I will own both that way I am covered!
    You dont need to own both in order to not be envious or to not constantly demean one console at every opportunity. It has more to with a lack of maturity than a lack of both consoles. Owning both consoles doesn't absolve somebody from console bias.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I find it funny people are classing 2006 as a full year for PS3 and comparing it to a full 2006 line-up on 360 not only was it out for only a month but it wasn't even released in Europe, the last bit don't matter but still any logical person would use 2007 as the first year,
    Err no one compared them in 2006, we were comparing them in their 2nd year i.e. 2007 and 2008.
    not that it make a difference
    But its better then comparing 12 months of releases to 4-5 weeks of newly launched console.
    Regardless I see this article as how gamers won with a against all odds console. PS3 did do a 360( pun not intended) and delivered an excellent platform despite its stumbling at launch.

Sent via Codec
    I have no doubt the time to buy a PS3 was 2009.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I find it funny people are classing 2006 as a full year for PS3 and comparing it to a full 2006 line-up on 360 not only was it out for only a month but it wasn't even released in Europe, the last bit don't matter but still any logical person would use 2007 as the first year, not that it make a difference

Sent via Codec
    More like a 180º, a 360º would've left it facing the same road
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    More like a 180º, a 360º would've left it facing the same road
    Haha yeah

Sent via Codec

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    You cant compare Halo with COD, Halo was an established franchise log before COD became big.
    I don't know how that makes any difference.

In the case of Resistance they didn't need to at all, unless maybe Insomniac has some sort of cast iron contract for three Resistance games?
    Who knows...but it's definitely cheaper to make a sequel than a new IP.

Oh without doubt there is the Ninja Blade or two in MS's cupboard, but if anything, one could complain they have stopped taking risks.

Taking risks in Ninja Blade, being stupid is Ninja Blade 2.

I have already vowed I wont be buying another console until I have finished my back catalog which runs at:

RDR, Batman AA, Batman AC, Dark Souls,Deus Ex, Darksiders 2, LA Noire, Hitman Absolution, Assassins Creed 3, XCOM, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, Halo 4, Kingdoms of Amular, Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops, Gears:Judgement, Doom 3 , Civilisation Rev, RE4, Dirt 2 and Fallout Vegas.

Yes they are all on the shelf looking at me.
    Trust me, I have a lot of backlog too, thus why it makes no sense for me to have two or three consoles. I'd love to own them all but don't have time and I'm picky so if I had three consoles, I'd have like a total of 5 games at any point. I buy and sell a lot of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Why not go with both and stick with both? They have pleased equally.
    What I said right above this.

yes, but if you own both then their is no envy or anything that would cause people to have to demean one console to reassure themselves they bought the "right" one.

I am a gamer, pure and simple. If Sony, or MS bowed out of the gaming arena, I would not be sad as long as I had the other. I game for fun, not for one company to succeed and another to fail.

Until that day that one doesn't exist, I will own both that way I am covered!
    What Rad said. It just happens so that people that stick with one console turn out to be loyal fans, it doesn't mean that owning just one makes you a loyal fan.

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    You dont need to own both in order to not be envious or to not constantly demean one console at every opportunity. It has more to with a lack of maturity than a lack of both consoles. Owning both consoles doesn't absolve somebody from console bias.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    A LOT of people used to use their multi console owning status to try and mask said console bias here at PSU. To the discerning reader, it was as clear as days what they were up to. lol You don't really see that any more though...most have left, simmered down or were banned haha.

10. Likes Two4DaMoney , Shingo likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    A LOT of people used to use their multi console owning status to try and mask said console bias here at PSU. To the discerning reader, it was as clear as days what they were up to. lol You don't really see that any more though...most have left, simmered down or were banned haha.
    For some reason I read that as "simmered down or were bananad....."

Ouch.....

Forum Overseer
    Simmer down mynd!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    For some reason I read that as "simmered down or were bananad....."

Ouch.....

Oh, you read right! Bring out the banana hammer!

14. Likes mynd likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I think the most disturbing aspect of that is how quickly Ghost found that image.

Forum Overseer
    Good point.

Ultimate Veteran
    To me, two things must be factored in to the success of the PS3. First and foremost, Playstation has definitely shown some resiliency by bouncing back and outselling the 360. Not only that, but the system is well on track for overtaking the Wii sometime into next year, especially if there is a price drop. All the PS3 has done is gain steam with each passing year. It didn't stand in place or regress ever and that is a pretty remarkable feat considering the Wii immediately taking the casual gamer at the onset and the Xbox having been solidified amongst the core gamer before the PS3 even launched.

Second, it simply must be said, is Microsoft lost its grip on the core gamer after 2009/2010. Their lack of focus is the cause for them to fall to third place and very much fueled the re-emergence of the PS3. We'll see how the next-gen goes, but my money is that history will serve to say that it was a very unwise decision for MS to attempt to rebrand the XBox360 and the XBox name from hardcore to motion control right in the middle of the generation. Chasing after the casual gamer has been catastrophic for Nintendo and also put the 360 in third place. You cannot count on those types of consumers.

Now, the one company that really stuck with the core gamer the whole previous generation is set to step up their efforts in every conceivable way. The developers are all in. The publishers are all in. The system itself appears to be quite simple to use and even outside of its integrated social features has been architected to overcome shortfalls that gamers have complained about for well over a decade (loading times, patches, game continuation, and online store access). It doesn't get talked about a whole lot lately, because it is a subject that makes Nintendo and Microsoft seem pretty dense in their pursuit of console sale number wars.. but the truth is that it is the core gamer that lines up on launch day and buys an upstart system in those painful first years in order to have the best latest and shiniest game system. It is the core gamer that makes those software sales skyrocket and it is the core gamer that ultimately drives developer support.. Something Microsoft should have understood intimately with their early success of the 360 but, then, they were too busy shutting down studios or selling them.. Or maybe it was that half billion they spent on marketing Kinect?

I rest my case. The PS3 literally put on a Rocky Balboa-esque performance in the ring with two intensely fierce competitors. Respect is due to all three and mistakes were made by all three. What matters is that Playstation is the last one standing.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    To me, two things must be factored in to the success of the PS3. First and foremost, Playstation has definitely shown some resiliency by bouncing back and outselling the 360. Not only that, but the system is well on track for overtaking the Wii sometime into next year, especially if there is a price drop. All the PS3 has done is gain steam with each passing year. It didn't stand in place or regress ever and that is a pretty remarkable feat considering the Wii immediately taking the casual gamer at the onset and the Xbox having been solidified amongst the core gamer before the PS3 even launched.

Second, it simply must be said, is Microsoft lost its grip on the core gamer after 2009/2010. Their lack of focus is the cause for them to fall to third place and very much fueled the re-emergence of the PS3. We'll see how the next-gen goes, but my money is that history will serve to say that it was a very unwise decision for MS to attempt to rebrand the XBox360 and the XBox name from hardcore to motion control right in the middle of the generation. Chasing after the casual gamer has been catastrophic for Nintendo and also put the 360 in third place. You cannot count on those types of consumers.

Now, the one company that really stuck with the core gamer the whole previous generation is set to step up their efforts in every conceivable way. The developers are all in. The publishers are all in. The system itself appears to be quite simple to use and even outside of its integrated social features has been architected to overcome shortfalls that gamers have complained about for well over a decade (loading times, patches, game continuation, and online store access). It doesn't get talked about a whole lot lately, because it is a subject that makes Nintendo and Microsoft seem pretty dense in their pursuit of console sale number wars.. but the truth is that it is the core gamer that lines up on launch day and buys an upstart system in those painful first years in order to have the best latest and shiniest game system. It is the core gamer that makes those software sales skyrocket and it is the core gamer that ultimately drives developer support.. Something Microsoft should have understood intimately with their early success of the 360 but, then, they were too busy shutting down studios or selling them.. Or maybe it was that half billion they spent on marketing Kinect?

I rest my case. The PS3 literally put on a Rocky Balboa-esque performance in the ring with two intensely fierce competitors. Respect is due to all three and mistakes were made by all three. What matters is that Playstation is the last one standing.
    This is so good to read thanks , can't rep you now

It also scares me , there is a slightly chance ps3 may effect ps4's success. It seems like it won't drop soon from the market And unlike other competitors ps3 still having great exclusives one after another, It is the strongest rival of ps4 in my opinion..
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    This is so good to read thanks , can't rep you now

It also scares me , there is a slightly chance ps3 may effect ps4's success. It seems like it won't drop soon from the market And unlike other competitors ps3 still having great exclusives one after another, It is the strongest rival of ps4 in my opinion..
    Thank you. I think Sony is in a unique place to not have to abandon the PS3 in order to step up for the PS4. There are so many projects that need to be completed on the PS3 or carried over to the PS4 that it's almost funny. Sony has announced PS3 games that have stayed in dev hell for so long that they could simply come out next year (preferably on both systems, but even on the PS3 still good to have) and it draws no resources from anything they would move on the PS4 in the first year, anyways. That and, ironically, the system is developer friendly enough to get some real third party gems to help carry it while internal studios finish their PS3 projects and move on. All the while, the top performing studios are already well underway on PS4 games..

Then, for extra bonus win-sauce, the studios that struggled internally with the PS3 are going to waltz into the PS4 development cycle with infinitely better and more mature development environments once they do get started, so they won't stay behind for long. PS3 still has another strong year or two left in it just clearing that back-qeue (Last Guardian comes to mind) and in the meantime, PS4 is going to be the shiny toy of choice for the third party games that, ironically, carried the XBox360 almost entirely through its generation.

Worry not, it's a perfect storm of games and more games. Just don't unplug your PS3 when the 4 moves into town.

I remember when the Playstation 3 came out, and the guys at Gamestop (my then-expert advice) said the outcome didn't look good. Glad to see that they were wrong.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    A lot of people were wrong lol, had it been any other company they would've been right and it would've been the next DreamCast.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    First and foremost, Playstation has definitely shown some resiliency by bouncing back and outselling the 360.
    When did that happen?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    When did that happen?

Last reported numbers have put the PS3 over xbox360 in sales and others haven't so its even in my eyes lol

Regardless of the numbers this was the first generation to have 3 successful Major consoles. I don't think this will ever happen again

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Last reported numbers have put the PS3 over xbox360 in sales and others haven't so its even in my eyes lol

Regardless of the numbers this was the first generation to have 3 successful Major consoles. I don't think this will ever happen again
    We dont have officla nuymbers form SOny, so its only guessing, but it probably has tied.

But really this is how they "caught up"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    We dont have officla nuymbers form SOny, so its only guessing, but it probably has tied.

But really this is how they "caught up"

The office max start button? Lmao...jk

Japan helps also that china market is gonna add to those PS3 numbers. Xbox360 is in Japan but that's not going well out there.

MS has a strong foothold here in the states if sony can take that from MS that would be impressive but its not gonna be easy MS has done a great job establishing its console here in the states.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    would that be the last reported "made up" figures?

I'm sure that if and when Sony pass MS in console sales that they will be shouting it from the roof tops.

Of course, I hope they remove all the other sales that they lump in with PS3 that massage the figures.

Ancient
    Didn't Sony say sold 78 mill in GT6 announcement, thats whats on GAF anyway

Sent via Codec

Thread Information