Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

How the PS3 won the current gen console war

There’s no denying it was a slow start for Sony‘s PlayStation 3 console. The console launched over a year after Microsoft‘s Xbox 360, it was way more expensive than its competition and it was in short supply at launch. However, those early adopters knew they were onto something very good, and for many it was the home console of choice.

Forward to over six years since the release and the PS3 is now not only the biggest selling of the two main consoles, but arguably has the best selection of games from both first, third and independent developers. Some see this as a minor miracle. At the beginning, there seemed to be no chance of Sony winning this generation’s console war. However, in true Sony spirit they came, they saw the competition and they conquered. It was a long struggle, but worth it in the end. How did Sony achieve this feat?

The Games

There’s no denying that Sony showed a lot of promise with the early releases on the PlayStation 3. The very first Resistance game was an example of the potential power of the console. Yet early cross-platform titles suffered horrendously from badly programmed ported games, which affected people’s vision of how great the console was going to become in later years. For those who stayed through the tumultuous early years, they were greeted with better and better games. When it came to Sony Exclusive titles, the full power of the PlayStation 3 was released. Over the years Sony produced the best looking games on any of the console platforms, with titles such as Killzone 2 & 3, the Uncharted Series (all three pushed graphical boundaries unseen on a console before), the Resistance series (number three being technically uber-impressive), the sensational God Of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Wipeout HD, Heavy Rain and the stunning MotorStorm series to name just a few. But there is, of course, more to games than graphics, and each of those titles mentioned pushed the relevant genres to further heights. This push allowed console gaming to grow to a level where we expect much more from games now than we ever did before.
    It was not just the big titles that pushed limits though, as gamers flocked to obscure titles such as Little Big Planet and chose to download titles from Sony’s ever popular PlayStation Network service such as the PixelJunk releases, Flower, Echochrome 2, Dead Nation and the wonderful Super Stardust HD. For those people looking for a bit of retro-gaming, the PS3 can play PS1 games, and there are many to download on their download service, plus early PS3s played PlayStation 2 games, and now in 2013 there is a great selection of this software to download on PSN.

Quality is always far more important than quantity, and with Sony’s approach to quality software, it has left gamers with a mind-blowing choice of top-notch games that will suit everybody’s taste. Even as this generation comes to a close, Sony and developers writing for the machine are pushing out titles that are proving that there is still plenty of life left in the system.

One of the early criticisms of the PlayStation Network was that it paled in comparison to Microsoft’s Xbox Live. What many people seemed to forget though was that Sony’s offering was totally free, with no subscription and available to everyone upon purchase of a new machine. Over the years though, Sony has been fine-tuning the PSN and their store. For those of us who have seen the PSN since day one, note that the difference now between PSN and Xbox Live is that there really is not any.

For those who play online, they will know that PSN has always been rather robust. Although it lacked some of the features of Xbox Live, it did a good job of allowing players to play online together at no cost. Today, there really is no difference between the two online services, except you have to pay for Xbox Live, and anyone who says otherwise is living in a fanboy-dreamland.

The same can be said for the PlayStation Store. It is now got a huge amount of content, and thankfully due to Sony’s ongoing quality system, the quality of the titles on PSN is unsurpassed. There are quality titles available for every genre, plus genres that we never knew could exist. Looking at the titles on offer on both PSN and Xbox Live, you would be hard pushed to realize which one was the pay service and which one was the free service.

Since its launch though, Sony has released PlayStation Plus which is a brilliant pay service. PS Plus offers an instant collection of various games upon subscription, with many titles discounted to Plus members, and a lot of titles given away free each month, plus free early access to demos and Betas. The positive of it is, that it is optional, you are not forced to pay Sony, and may do so only if you want to enjoy the benefits.

The Package

Sony’s PlayStation 3 has been re-designed on a number of occasions, and the latest models are half the size of the original PS3. Of course, just like all console designs, one’s opinion on its aesthetics are totally based on personal opinion. However, taking into account that around the World the PlayStation 3 is outselling other consoles, its newer designs are obviously doing their intended job.

Also on a cost versus cost basis of each console, many people see Sony’s machine as the perfect choice because of its huge hard-drive, great game library, free internet access and so much more. In some territories there are also various coloured consoles available, which of course attract more customers.
    Thankfully, Sony did not mess too much with the controller either. The PS3 Dualshock controller still remains a favorite with gamers, with its perfectly formed shape to enable hours of endless gameplay.

Closing Statements

There are territories where the PlayStation 3 is not doing as well as the Xbox 360. However, even in these areas the PS3 is selling extremely well. Around the World, the PlayStation brand is as popular as it has ever been, and the success of the PlayStation 3 has shown that you just cannot keep a good console down if the games are there that players want to play.

The future for Sony is looking promising again. After the earlier failure of the PS3, Sony will no doubt ensure that the PlayStation 4 will be the gaming platform of choice for the next generation of gamers.
    http://gamingillustrated.com/how-the-playstation-3-won-the-current-gen-console-war/

Last edited by Ghost; 04-16-2013 at 04:10.

2. Dislikes Sparc is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Soldier 95B
    Lol. Entertaining read.

Forum Elder
    fantastic read, i now feel justified in owning the best console of this gen. i laugh at all of you who own the other console.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Now let's see if Nintendo can do what Sony did and turn the Wii U around.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Now let's see if Nintendo can do what Sony did and turn the Wii U around.
    Hope they do that. But Japan is holding them off a little...
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Dedicated Member

Microsoft gained a huge amount market share this Generation and Sony lost a large amount of market share and you call that a win? Guess if that's what you need to tell yourself to feel better after its been proven the PS3 isn't significantly more powerful than the Xbox360. I didn't include the WiiU because Nintendo just entered the current Generation.

Nucleus

8. Dislikes AaronSOLDIER is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    fantastic read, i now feel justified in owning the best console of this gen. i laugh at all of you who own the other console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
    Microsoft gained a huge amount market share this Generation and Sony lost a large amount of market share and you call that a win? Guess if that's what you need to tell yourself to feel better after its been proven the PS3 isn't significantly more powerful than the Xbox360. I didn't include the WiiU because Nintendo just entered the current Generation.

Nucleus
    No need to be all butthurt. It's not that serious. Sony's output isn't stopping the 4 repeat exclusives from touching the market.

Edit: Don't shoot me yet. I forgot to add Live exclusives too.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 04-17-2013 at 19:45.

10. Dislikes mistercrow is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Soldier 95B

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm just glad that Sony didn't need 4 years to prepare for next gen and is still rewarding its customers for their investment with the usual deluge of exclusives and badassery in the form of IGC. I'm loving the seemless momentum Sony is demonstrating as it moves into next gen. Not many could release 5 new IPs while apporaching the door to next gen.

Whether Sony won this gen or not is pretty subjective as everyone has their own metric for successs and winning. I think it did an admirable job in recovering from a late and more expensive start, arrogant attitude and lack of games early on.

In any case, ALL the mistakes of last gen have been tidied up and the buzz around PS4 has almost been fully positive. Sony has launched a VERY clear message too, and one that most will understand and accept in a heartbeat: PS4 is all about the games.

It will be interesting to see how MS positions the nextbox.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

13. Likes The Black Wolf wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier 95b View Post
    rofl

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy

Nucleus
    Games wise Sony was untouchable this gen like pretty much every gen before that, I don't get entertainment out of sales (they're interesting to watch sure), but when I'm playing and enjoying a game, I'm not thinking about what it's sold.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Soldier 95B
    Games wise Sony was untouchable this gen like pretty much every gen before that, I don't get entertainment out of sales (they're interesting to watch sure), but when I'm playing and enjoying a game, I'm not thinking about what it's sold.
    As a first party studio, in numbers, I agree. As a console and including first, second and third party, I would not agree.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    As a first party studio, in numbers, I agree. As a console and including first, second and third party, I would not agree.
    How is that possible when Sony had the most 1st AND 3rd party exclusives aside from a few multiplats performing better on 360 and vice versa?

yay, next gen!

Soldier 95B
    How is that possible when Sony had the most 1st AND 3rd party exclusives aside from a few multiplats performing better on 360 and vice versa?
    My "personal" experience (and opinion) states otherwise. Not only have I enjoyed many more games, including exclusives on the Xbox this generation, it's a fact that the Xbox not only has more games, but more exclusives as well. Xbox happens to trail in first party exclusives however. First party Microsoft Studios pales in comparison to first party Sony's gaming studios.

If you want the largest library of exclusive and multiplatform games, the Xbox was the clear winner this generation. If you want to go by each individual title metacritic ranking (if that is what you feel makes a game better or worse for you), then that would be another thing to look at. Though, I don't know the answer to that one. That would be a lot of work to figure out...when in the end, it's probably so close in rankings, it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I love the way the quoted content in the OP deems 3rd place as "winning" lol.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I love the way the quoted content in the OP deems 3rd place as "winning" lol.
    It's not about SALES FEAR!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I need to make sure the author of that article gets this, a nice reassuring pat on the back:

pat-on-back.jpg

Really... this late in the game, someone is still so desperate that they have to have a "winner?"
    Attached Images

Dedicated Member

It's not about SALES FEAR!
    So what is it about? Your individual opinion. Numbers don't lie, people do.

Nucleus

Soldier 95B
    [QUOTE=Nucleus;6068035]So what is it about?[QUOTE]

It is what YOU want to make it about.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Like I said, it's all subjective metrics, changed and manipulated to suit everyones individual agenda.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    My "personal" experience (and opinion) states otherwise.
    That was your choice to buy 90%+ multiplats on 360, had it been the other way around you would be putting PS3 ahead, which is why it pretty much comes down to the exclusives, 1st and 3rd party, in which PS3 has the edge quality wise. Plus the fact that there's much more variety.

Not only have I enjoyed many more games, including exclusives on the Xbox this generation, it's a fact that the Xbox not only has more games, but more exclusives as well.
    But only if you include indie games, which can offer the same amount of enjoyment but most suck, IMO. Pretty much the reason why I haven't bought a Vita yet since Sony is concentrating far too much on them.

If you want the largest library of exclusive and multiplatform games, the Xbox was the clear winner this generation.
    That doesn't give it the edge in the quality department though, most of them were thanks to it's early launch sharing a lot of PS2/Xbox multiplats, and then all the indie games. Exclusives wise there's been a far more diverse offering on PS3; LBP, MotorStorm, R&C, Sly, GT, Siren, GoW, MGS, Yakuza, Tales, KZ, Resistance, Valkyria Chronices, Ni no Kuni, MNR, LBPK, Uncharted etc. etc. whereas 360; Halo, GeoW, Forza, PGR, Fable, Splinter Cell, Banjo etc. etc. it's mostly shooters and racers.

Ultimately it comes down to your opinion, but if you could only have one of the two, PS3 offers more in variety and quality, there's a reason despite it's rough start PS3 has lasted this long and gone on to sell more than 75m and why a lot of people didn't just get a 360 instead of it.

yay, next gen!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    [QUOTE=Soldier 95B;6068043][QUOTE=Nucleus;6068035]So what is it about?

It is what YOU want to make it about.
    That wouldn't mean much in reality though. I mean, the 360 is winning in Japan? If I loved the 360, and that's where I lived, how does what I make of it factor in reality?

Soldier 95B
    That was your choice to buy 90%+ multiplats on 360
    Most of my games are exclusives.

had it been the other way around you would be putting PS3 ahead, which is why it pretty much comes down to the exclusives, 1st and 3rd party, in which PS3 has the edge quality wise.
    Like you said, it comes down to opinion.

Plus the fact that there's much more variety.
    A larger variety of first party retail $60 disk based exclusives, I agree.

But only if you include indie games
    And XBLA. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Unless you are specifically cherry picking a certain game price or size now?

which can offer the same amount of enjoyment but most suck, IMO.
    So we agree to disagree on opinions here.

That doesn't give it the edge in the quality department though, most of them were thanks to it's early launch sharing a lot of PS2/Xbox multiplats, and then all the indie games. Exclusives wise there's been a far more diverse offering on PS3; LBP, MotorStorm, R&C, Sly, GT, Siren, GoW, MGS, Yakuza, Tales, KZ, Resistance, Valkyria Chronices, Ni no Kuni, MNR, LBPK, Uncharted etc. etc. whereas 360; Halo, GeoW, Forza, PGR, Fable, Splinter Cell, Banjo etc. etc. it's mostly shooters and racers.
    Sadly, I cannot retort, as list wars are not allowed. But we will yet again agree to disagree.

Ultimately it comes down to your opinion
    Agreed.

but if you could only have one of the two, PS3 offers more in variety and quality
    I agree, for some, that is the case. But for some, it is not and have had a different experience.

Luckily for me, I have enjoyed both experiences tremendously. Just one more so than the other. Which is why I will get both consoles again...I can't get enough.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    "Sale numbers are all that matters" , "if it sells good then it means it is better"... what kind of logic is this?
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Soldier 95B
    [QUOTE=F34R;6068056][QUOTE=Soldier 95B;6068043]
    So what is it about?

That wouldn't mean much in reality though. I mean, the 360 is winning in Japan? If I loved the 360, and that's where I lived, how does what I make of it factor in reality?
    Well this is an honest comparison. I had bought a 2007 Toyota Camry back in 2007, brand new. I bought it because of the reviews, the claim to fame on reliability, and the fact that it was the best selling car in its class, by leaps and bounds.

I traded it in two years later, completely unhappy with it, found it to perform very poorly in the snow, very loose steering, roll lover like corning, under powered and had less options for the money compared to the competition. The comparable Chevrolet Malibu is what I replaced it with. Doesn't sell NEARLY as much, does not get the media hype support, trails in Consumer Reports comparisons. Yet I found the car quicker, more responsive, better cornering, tighter steering and more comfortable with more options for less money.

I don't go with what the sales tell me, I go with what I tell me. My personal experience and what makes ME happy. In this case, the Malibu is the clear winner. Not in sales, but in my driveway and my garage.

Thread Information