Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

[Opinion] God of War: Ascension - A story that should have been

I had a long pause in gaming. More then a month I've spent without touching the controller to play a good game. My backlog is made up of games such as, Dishonored, Hitman, Darksiders 2 and Metal Gear Rising to name a few. Even popular new releases such as Tomb Raider and Bioshock: Infinite did little to catch my attention.

This is where, God of War: Ascension came in. To my disappointment with the story, the overall experience was engaging and well deserving of the money I invested in. I was back to enjoying games again and what better companion to rejoice than, Kratos. But this opinion piece isn't about summarizing the review I wrote. This is solely targeting the story of, Ascension.

Back when they announced the game I was honestly skeptical. Another prequel to a franchise that has had two prequels before it wasn't going to end well for them and likewise, poor sales in the, States proved it. However I had a glimmer of hope that they were going to tell the story about, Kratos before he became the ghost of Sparta with how they were marketing it.

Ascension did very little to show the most impotant things to, Kratos

Much like any game I'm hyped for, I try to ignore developer diaries, trailers and demo's for the sake of keeping the game fresh in my mind when I play it but once I did and saw where the story was heading, my first impression was "These guys messed up" The whole concept about the fury sisters holding, Kratos' pact with Ares in tact with your goal being to get rid of it was a very bad direction for the game. It was a bad timeline for this prequel that gave the series very little meaning.

My expectations was telling the story of Kratos when he was a high ranking Spartan who is close to promotion to, General. The game would start with our protagonist spending time with his family in a wheat rich field, strengthening his character along with who his wife is and forging that human side of the to be, God of War. He would go into missions with two of his most trusted companions, this in turn would change the battle system since, Kratos doesn't have the Blades of Chaos yet.

The Barbarians will be focused as the biggest threat, building tension for war

As per your comrades I'm sure that giving them unique characteristics would help develop the story and Kratos since he'll care about their safety unlike previews, God of War games. Puzzles would also require their assistance, each one having a unique use for certain problems that need to be solved(For example, one is both flexible and quick of his feet while the other is a sharpshooter and technical expert) I could see some complex puzzles put in place to clear some areas.

Boss battles would also require team work, especially if they are larger ones that are beyond, Kratos' abilities since he's still mortal here. Santa Monica studios could have done one hell of a job with this frame. Their idea of showing us a human, Kratos would have been more successful here and as each mission, Kratos completes, he would return to his family to give us an idea of how important they were to him while giving us a brief story on the two Spartans.

Kratos obtaining the blades of chaos for the first time during the war against the barbarians

The conclusion to all of this is the monstrous final battle with Spartans against the barbarians and ultimately making a pact with, Ares. Kratos then goes on a deranged path to please his god. His comrades will try to stop him but they are considered traitors and killed in the process. The end sequence will be the death of his family by his own two hands. With the character development build up to this point would have made a larger impact.

Ascension could have become one of the greatest, God of War games if they had gone back further. I still wonder why they went with the time frame in, Ascension. God of war fans will figure the plot quickly, there are no plot twists and the ending was anti-climatic. While it was tough fighting the fury sisters, they didn't seem important nor did they leave a lasting impact for the series.

2. Likes Updator likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I feel they should have taken the game to where you actually do accidentally murder your family. I think that would have really drawn in sadness that Kratos feels, with the gamer themselves. I also see why they didn't go that route.

4. Likes Fon likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Nice Fon! Glad to see an opinion piece! Having not played Ascension, I don't feel (based on what you've said) like I missed anything plot wise or had anything really spoiled. Shame the didn't play their cards in terms of story a bit better. Everyone knows Kratos is the ultimate badass, but I guess I'll have to playthrough myself to see what the deal is.

6. Likes Fon likes this post
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Great opinion article, Fon! I'd be interested in featuring your opinion on the PSU homepage, if you're game! Hit me with a PM if that sounds interesting to you.

8. Likes Fon , Sir_Scud likes this post
    El Presidente
    Nice read Fon. The story was bad because they're just milking this series now. Saddening because I love this series.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

10. Likes Fon likes this post
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    100% agree Fon.
    I thought that was the direction they were going when they had released this trailer -

Personally they didn't even have to go back as far as you had said, i'd been happy if they spent 5-10mins in his human form on the battlefield with hundreds dying around him and eventually calling on Ares for help, giving him power to destroy his foes and of course receive the blades.

The game could have focused on doing the deeds of Ares and end with being tricked into taking out his family (maybe after showing weakness in his job) and then swearing vengeance against Ares.

Hopefully if they ever do a movie they put more focus around the family side.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 04-19-2013 at 12:07.

12. Likes Fon likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I feel they should have taken the game to where you actually do accidentally murder your family. I think that would have really drawn in sadness that Kratos feels, with the gamer themselves. I also see why they didn't go that route.
    The gist of my opinion piece is that they should have developed Kratos and his family to the point where we are familiar with them and have them killed at the end. Unfortunately I don't think that another prequel will do them good, they missed their chance here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud
    Nice Fon! Glad to see an opinion piece! Having not played Ascension, I don't feel (based on what you've said) like I missed anything plot wise or had anything really spoiled. Shame the didn't play their cards in terms of story a bit better. Everyone knows Kratos is the ultimate badass, but I guess I'll have to playthrough myself to see what the deal is.
    If you're a god of war fan, there isn't much importance to the story and you'll figure out how it will all turn out. Shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun
    Great opinion article, Fon! I'd be interested in featuring your opinion on the PSU homepage, if you're game! Hit me with a PM if that sounds interesting to you.
    That would be great! I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus
    Nice read Fon. The story was bad because they're just milking this series now. Saddening because I love this series.
    I love it also but after, Ascension, I can't see them continue this franchise. They've made enough prequels as it is and after, God of War 3, there isn't much left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath
    100% agree Fon. I thought that was the direction they were going when they had released this trailer -
    Precisely. That's what I imagined would happen.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might get another opinion going in regards to next gen gaming.

Thread Information