Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Simply leaving the question of "well which is it?" alone because it might ruffle feathers and accepting ignorance.. Well, that to me is akin to cowardice. Though cowardice for all the best intentions.
    Are you saying it's cowardly to be agnostic? Or am I reading that wrong?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I don't think it's a pure joke. Most people don't understand religion. Generally it has more to do with their upbringing and experiences rather than the religion itself. Note that in no way am I saying that any religion is right or wrong, I'm saying that it's valid.
    To me it is a pure joke and always will be, it is the blind leading the blind
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    To me it is a pure joke and always will be, it is the blind leading the blind
    Think about what you're saying then think about why you're saying it. Then understand that your basis is on people that follow religions you speak of, not the religions themselves.

I see a lot of ridiculous things too but you have to separate people from scriptures.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Think about what you're saying then think about why you're saying it. Then understand that your basis is on people that follow religions you speak of, not the religions themselves.

I see a lot of ridiculous things too but you have to separate people from scriptures.
    Friend, it is not the people i hate for their religion belief. Everyone too themselves for what they believe and i have never hated anyone for their belief

It is just the whole god and devil thing i purely hate and always will
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi

There are also problems with the scriptures though.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    There are also problems with the scriptures though.
    Such as? I'm not saying there can't be a religion out there that has something stupid in it but I'd like to know. You have to get to the bottom of every verse out there to get the real meaning. I've seen too many people taking verses out of their context...even ones that believe in them.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    everyone has a belief in something and i do too... But it is not the religion one's

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Such as? I'm not saying there can't be a religion out there that has something stupid in it but I'd like to know. You have to get to the bottom of every verse out there to get the real meaning. I've seen too many people taking verses out of their context...even ones that believe in them.
    Well vicarious redemption for one thing. Human sacrifice does not dissolve one's actions and is an immoral act.

Endorsing the genocide of Amalekites - 1 Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "

The Binding of Isaac - The truly hideous request from God for Abraham to sacrifice his son.

These are just a few problems, and only from 1 book, but I'm not going in-depth in this topic.

I personally do not mind if a person is religious, if it does make him/her a better person. It should be an individual spirituality though.
    Last edited by Naxi; 04-20-2013 at 21:27.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Are you saying it's cowardly to be agnostic? Or am I reading that wrong?
    I think intentionally avoiding the 'hard questions' and never pushing your intellectual boundaries is not something to be proud of.

There's more than one path to agnosticism, the route I described is hardly the only one.

10. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Well vicarious redemption for one thing. Human sacrifice does not dissolve one's actions and is an immoral act.

The endorsing the genocide of Amalekites - 1 Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "

The Binding of Isaac - The truly hideous request from God for Abraham to sacrifice his son.

These are just a few problems, and only from 1 book, but I'm not going in-depth in this topic.

I personally do not mind if a person is religious, if it does make him/her a better person. It should be an individual spirituality though.
    You know, Bible has been changed many times, do we know for sure it's in its original form and thus everything that it speaks about really was there from the beginning? Btw, did this really happen? Do we have evidence that these people were butchered due to these verses?

About human sacrifice, that doesn't exist in Christianity as far as I know, it was a test to prove that Abraham would do this for Him. He was stopped before he did it.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    You know, Bible has been changed many times, do we know for sure it's in its original form and thus everything that it speaks about really was there from the beginning? Btw, did this really happen? Do we have evidence that these people were butchered due to these verses?

About human sacrifice, that doesn't exist in Christianity as far as I know, it was a test to prove that Abraham would do this for Him. He was stopped before he did it.
    These are some crucially bad edits then. The book was also written centuries after the alleged life of Jesus. That was also a bad place to spread the word, China was much more advanced and literate back then.

I meant Jesus as the human sacrifice and scapegoat of our supposed sins.

I know, it was still not an admirable act of Abraham, or request by God.
    Last edited by Naxi; 04-20-2013 at 21:37.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    And the fact that their was more than one jesus back then and our we sure it was the jesus in the bible that was actually the one people know and love... Because a lot of their fathers were wood workers

Forum Overseer
    These are some crucially bad edits then. The book was also written centuries after the alleged life of Jesus. That was also a bad place to spread the word, China was much more advanced and literate back then.

I meant Jesus as the human sacrifice and scapegoat of our supposed sins.

I know, it was still not an admirable act of Abraham, or request by God.
    I don't wanna go into the big debate about the changes because I don't know much about them, I do know that they exist and that it's a fact that they were changed. Many different versions of Bible exist.

But what I will say is that if someone takes out something from the scriptures and uses that to kill someone, I can guarantee you that this person is likely not educated. Not to mention, one of the biggest disadvantages religions have is that because they're so wide-spread, you're going to find some $#@!tards somewhere along the lines.

How can we say that these people wouldn't be angry and stupid if they weren't religious. They won't grow a brain all of a sudden.
    And the fact that their was more than one jesus back then and our we sure it was the jesus in the bible that was actually the one people know and love... Because a lot of their fathers were wood workers
    There was more than one Jesus?

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    So that's the decision? Oh well, I'll just stay out of religious threads then.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I don't wanna go into the big debate about the changes because I don't know much about them, I do know that they exist and that it's a fact that they were changed. Many different versions of Bible exist.

But what I will say is that if someone takes out something from the scriptures and uses that to kill someone, I can guarantee you that this person is likely not educated. Not to mention, one of the biggest disadvantages religions have is that because they're so wide-spread, you're going to find some $#@!tards somewhere along the lines.

How can we say that these people wouldn't be angry and stupid if they weren't religious. They won't grow a brain all of a sudden.

There was more than one Jesus?
    Jesus is a name.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    So that's the decision? Oh well, I'll just stay out of religious threads then.
    Why not take criticism? I'm sure there are 2 sides to everything. Maybe one of them is right, maybe both are right, maybe both are wrong.

Point is, with criticism comes knowledge. If you see someone say something about your religion, why don't you research about what it is? Come to your own conclusion. I understand it's pointless to sometimes argue but all I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt to know more about your religion. If you feel that the other side is true then you won't feel bad about it once you hear it again.

I feel like you want everyone to not have the freedom to say what they want. As long as no one is bashing, I don't see any issues. I have questions myself sometimes and I try my best to look into it. You have to question everything before you believe in it and continue to know more about it.

I believe that most religions are generally peaceful and generally where people think it is evil or wrong is taken out of context and not looked at from a certain perspective. If you love your religion, I would suggest that you know more about it rather than not having open door for discussion and never having the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Jesus is a name.
    Oh right lol.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    By `millions of other preachers` he means that there were others preaching other `religions` for want of a better word. Think life of brian..lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Master Sage
    Why not take criticism? I'm sure there are 2 sides to everything. Maybe one of them is right, maybe both are right, maybe both are wrong.
    Imagine if it were Santa, for the past 30 years your parents (and fellow Santa groupies) constantly said how awesome and powerful he was on a weekly basis, not just human either, he has magical powers and can fly across the world in a night but if you were naughty you better watch out and you better not cry cause he will punish you.

You write to him often (for presents) and feel enlightened by singing (Xmas) songs hoping that will get you in his good books in return for a lil something down the track. You even talk to him through his messengers (the shop helpers) and hope offering certain goodies (milk or cookies) will keep you in his good books.

Now imagine all this ripping away from you as people cast doubt on your beliefs that you've had imprinted on your mind for 30 years, how'd you feel?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Imagine if it were Santa, for the past 30 years your parents (and fellow Santa groupies) constantly said how awesome and powerful he was on a weekly basis, not just human either, he has magical powers and can fly across the world in a night but if you were naughty you better watch out and you better not cry cause he will punish you.

You write to him often (for presents) and feel enlightened by singing (Xmas) songs hoping that will get you in his good books in return for a lil something down the track. You even talk to him through his messengers (the shop helpers) and hope offering certain goodies (milk or cookies) will keep you in his good books.

Now imagine all this ripping away from you as people cast doubt on your beliefs that you've had imprinted on your mind for 30 years, how'd you feel?
    Are you explaining how a person becomes an Atheist? lol

Yea, it would suck but sooner or later, you have to face the world, right? I think our parents should have gotten us ready for that.

Master Sage
    Are you explaining how a person becomes an Atheist? lol

Yea, it would suck but sooner or later, you have to face the world, right? I think our parents should have gotten us ready for that.
    Well I never said I was religious lol
    Just trying to put in some perspective as to what i'd imagine it'd be like for a religious person to come to terms with a non-believer. Santa and Jesus do seem to have a lot in common.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items DoomVita
    It is just the whole god and devil thing i purely hate and always will
    So its just the jesus based Arabaic faith you dont like then?

Also its funny how whenever theres a discussion on religion and such that its only ever Christianity thats touched? Hows dem Scientologys?
    Last edited by Kingstoph; 04-22-2013 at 07:36.

The King has Returned

23. Likes Updator likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    Praise Allah
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Well I never said I was religious lol
    Just trying to put in some perspective as to what i'd imagine it'd be like for a religious person to come to terms with a non-believer. Santa and Jesus do seem to have a lot in common.
    Oh I didn't mean you lol. Yea i totally get it, it was difficult for me too, trust me.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I think intentionally avoiding the 'hard questions' and never pushing your intellectual boundaries is not something to be proud of.

There's more than one path to agnosticism, the route I described is hardly the only one.
    What about avoiding the hard questions and being religious? I'm assuming you would have the same opinion?

Unbound Mercenary
    Honestly, I don't care if a person is agnostic, as long as they respect people enough to let them have their religions without criticism.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Thread Information