Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Honestly, I don't care if a person is agnostic, as long as they respect people enough to let them have their religions without criticism.
    However, when religion comes into politics, then it's fair play.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    However, when religion comes into politics, then it's fair play.
    True.

But government should be run as such, not as charity house or an ailing mother. When harsh decisions must be made, we cannot fall back on religion as an excuse for weakness.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Honestly, I don't care if a person is agnostic, as long as they respect people enough to let them have their religions without criticism.
    Itís not the criticism I mind, itís the generalization, belittling, egoistic, arrogance that I have a problem with when it comes to Atheists. Granted Iím making a generalization myself, but due to their small number, it stands out moreÖI have not seen many people that didnít hate religion in one way or another, including the people that follow it. You have to realize, itís like having a popular console, e.g. PS2, youíre going to get some really great games, some good games and then there are trash games. But Dreamcast had ALL AMAZING GAMES! Guess whyÖit didnít have many games! Itís the same concept.

Just like in these forums, PS fans are majority so rinse repeat what I said above and then think of the Xbox fans as the Dreamcast.

When thereís a large sample, youíre going to find a larger variation than a smaller sample. Thatís just the way it is. The biggest religions mimick the world population, that there are some amazingly intelligent people out there, then there are some good ones, then some average, then some tards. Well, go ahead, waste your life fixating on the tards. What is that going to serve? Theyíll always be there, thatís a scientific fact! Thatís relevant to the concept of evolution!

4. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Itís not the criticism I mind, itís the generalization, belittling, egoistic, arrogance that I have a problem with when it comes to Atheists.
    Not a Bill Maher fan I presume? lol

Extreme Poster
    lol I actually like him, he's an intelligent man but that one documentary was definitely stupid and it's a way for a lot of anti-[enter religion here] people to make loads of money. Bill Maher has no idea about Christianity/Islam and likely not more than basic knowledge of Judaism, something he's definitely warmer with, which makes sense as he is an ex-Jewish man. Again, he's not above any of us, he's the victim of his own critique.

PSU Technical Advisor
    What about avoiding the hard questions and being religious? I'm assuming you would have the same opinion?
    In my experience, religious individuals are absolutely no better off in this regard. The blade of my perspective cuts both ways equally deep.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    As much as I detest religion, I never bash on anyone for believing in what they want to believe in. Though if religous discussion isn't even allowed on the forum then how does the topic even come up?
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    As much as I detest religion, I never bash on anyone for believing in what they want to believe in. Though if religous discussion isn't even allowed on the forum then how does the topic even come up?
    It came up because some threads would turn into religion discussions or the threads would contain religion discussions.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Its funny how this topic basically became a religious thread in a sense . I think we should be free to discuss it and politics because freedom of speech to an extent is also important in the digital relam. Other boards I'm on don't allow religion to be discussed so its nice to be a part of one that does. One or some of the most interesting debates did occur on this board near the old days of this community and I still reflect upon it sometimes. I recall users who joined this board just to discuss religion in a topic!!

Not a Bill Maher fan I presume? lol
    I'm a Bill Maher fan and I don't like what he says 35% of the time, its the way he says it that is funny to me. I don't agree with his views on the US constitution or religion but I watch his show fairly regularly.

lol I actually like him, he's an intelligent man but that one documentary was definitely stupid and it's a way for a lot of anti-[enter religion here] people to make loads of money. Bill Maher has no idea about Christianity/Islam and likely not more than basic knowledge of Judaism, something he's definitely warmer with, which makes sense as he is an ex-Jewish man. Again, he's not above any of us, he's the victim of his own critique.
    I actually thought that documentary was funny, even though I also don't agree with everything in that one. I looked at it more as comedy than anything else, with Bill's agenda clearly outlined at the end and inciting that religion will somehow end all of us. Bill Maher is half Jewish racially and a former Catholic religiously (before age 13). Why do you think he is warmer with Judaism? I see him attack that all the time and certainly in the movie he made.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverbike View Post
    I actually thought that documentary was funny, even though I also don't agree with everything in that one. I looked at it more as comedy than anything else, with Bill's agenda clearly outlined at the end and inciting that religion will somehow end all of us. Bill Maher is half Jewish racially and a former Catholic religiously (before age 13). Why do you think he is warmer with Judaism? I see him attack that all the time and certainly in the movie he made.
    Maybe in other places (which I have yet to see) but certainly in that documentary, he barely said a word against Judaism.

It was supposedly funny until he started to offend people and making fun of the uneducated ignorant people. Now if those people were harming him or had an evil agenda, that's different, these people just want to live their lives and he's offending them for no reason.

I still watched the whole thing though, just was very disappointed as he could've approached it in a better more intelligent way "while" keeping it funny. He was acting like a jackass.

When the Rabbi brought up a good point, he got all emotional and started attacking him by calling him a self-hating jew or something to that effect and threw a baseless rhetoric at him that he supported holocaust. That clearly showed that he was a jackass.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-25-2013 at 04:15.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Maybe in other places (which I have yet to see) but certainly in that documentary, he barely said a word against Judaism.

It was supposedly funny until he started to offend people and making fun of the uneducated ignorant people. Now if those people were harming him or had an evil agenda, that's different, these people just want to live their lives and he's offending them for no reason.

I still watched the whole thing though, just was very disappointed as he could've approached it in a better more intelligent way "while" keeping it funny. He was acting like a jackass.

When the Rabbi brought up a good point, he got all emotional and started attacking him by calling him a self-hating jew or something to that effect and threw a baseless rhetoric at him that he supported holocaust. That clearly showed that he was a jackass.
    For the first bolded part, since I have the doc on my PC its easy to refer to it now. At 1:03:50 in the film, Bill says, "But the jews, I'm mean they're...excuse me Jewish friends...they're as coo-coo as anyone is, especially the really orthodox ones." After this there is a clip followed by 2 small segments of Bill making fun of certain jews.

Bill acted like a jackass through the film? He kinda always acts like that so its no different to me here. He always came across to me as smug but funny.

That last scene with the Rabbi I watched it a few times again and I don't see Bill getting emotional just irritated that he can't speak soon enough. I don't see Bill calling him a self-hating jew either but just jokes about "They say 'never again' but you say, again!" and stuff like that. I don't know if I'd point that in the direction of Bill attacking him by saying he supported the holocaust but I didn't see it like that as much. Unless there are deleted scenes from the main movie that show these things, I didn't see them but was actually looking for any potential deleted scenes as I liked the movie that much.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    do the one's that care, our the one's that believe

Others like me could care less, i will comment on a religion thread. But in a context that suits me and others can take it as they wish
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverbike View Post
    For the first bolded part, since I have the doc on my PC its easy to refer to it now. At 1:03:50 in the film, Bill says, "But the jews, I'm mean they're...excuse me Jewish friends...they're as coo-coo as anyone is, especially the really orthodox ones." After this there is a clip followed by 2 small segments of Bill making fun of certain jews.

Bill acted like a jackass through the film? He kinda always acts like that so its no different to me here. He always came across to me as smug but funny.

That last scene with the Rabbi I watched it a few times again and I don't see Bill getting emotional just irritated that he can't speak soon enough. I don't see Bill calling him a self-hating jew either but just jokes about "They say 'never again' but you say, again!" and stuff like that. I don't know if I'd point that in the direction of Bill attacking him by saying he supported the holocaust but I didn't see it like that as much. Unless there are deleted scenes from the main movie that show these things, I didn't see them but was actually looking for any potential deleted scenes as I liked the movie that much.
    I know he said some things about the Jews but he was more harsh on the others. That Rabbi clip, I don't remember much but it was pretty apparent to me at one point that he was claiming that he supported the holocaust just to throw that guy off the point he was trying to make.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    why are the JEWS even motioned, thought this so called religion is for all mankind
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    why are the JEWS even motioned, thought this so called religion is for all mankind
    well he was specifically target christianity, islam and judaism as they're similar and have issues.

no one is going to make money off of making fun of buddhists.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Money is always made, what you expected me to say that

the end result is the fact that religion is just another cover for weakness

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Money is always made, what you expected me to say that

the end result is the fact that religion is just another cover for weakness
    Are you saying that it's bad that it's a cover for weakness?

Thread Information