Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style

The Bible

Ok lets test the new rule for religious topics and keep this civil.

I am one to admit I do believe in a higher power. Maybe not some guy on a cloud but I believe in something especially life after death. Now many religions look at the Bible as the backbone of everything they say. I understand the Bible is suppose to be the word of god written by man. My issue with it, and this is why I really do not belong to any religion, is how the Bible has been reworded and used as "it says this" over the centuries. Why here in America the Bible said Black and whites couldn't get married and it was preached as that. Yet somehow it is ok now, so did the Bible suddenly change? I see people who claim to follow it to the t yet they do not because there is some grim stuff in there like not working on Sundays EVER. I was reading a more recent version of it comparing to my families one which is about 100 years old and I felt like I was reading a completely different book. The King James version was actually written so he could get a divorce yet many religions follow this one. I really want to hear from those of you who follow it and get your thoughts and opinions. I just can not trust the Bible because I believe man has alter it so many times to where it is no longer the word of god as it is suppose to be. I feel like it is now just a weapon for people to use to prove their points.

I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Americans also:
    eat bacon.
    Wear different fabrics.
    Women speak up on church matters without approval in most cases
    Idolize Bieber (now thats one major $#@!ing sin)
    Kids talk back
    And so on....

I haven't read the bible in 20 years... Sue me if i forget a few hundreds of "against gods words" christians have cherry picked OUT of their daily actions/preachings etc... While they stand tall and proud trying to dictate the lives of others (ooops, heres one omission... GOD IS THE ONLY JUDGE!!!)

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The bible, a book
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    coolstorybro.gif

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    Agreed...the Bible can only be used as a weapon now,it is up to the person with the faith to determine how to use that weapon. Example,even though the bible does not say it is or isn't okay to call a girl a $#@! over the internet, your own moral fiber should tell you that it is not okay to do at all.
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Elite Member
    Personally I think we are here based out of luck. The universe is too big to have something controlling all of it. People created religion to explain things they didn't understand. As long as your religion doesn't harm me or other people then do your thing. Too many people take it too seriously and that's why you see so many issues in this world.

The bible is a book just like the other millions of fictional books out there. That's all I see it as.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    From what i understand, the new King james version is the best. Old King james is generally considered the most accurate and the NKJV keeps that but gets rid of the old english. I would never bother with anything else other than NKJV.
    I see people who claim to follow it to the t yet they do not because there is some grim stuff in there like not working on Sundays EVER.

Not many even know what the Bible actually says, let alone follow it. If people read and understood the Bible, they wouldn't be keeping the pagan holidays of easter and xmas, they wouldn't be profaning the sabbath (which is Saturday, not Sunday), they wouldn't be eating pork, they wouldn't be teaching and following the erronous belief that you die and flota off to heaven forever...nor that the commandments were done away with.

The apostle Paul weeped for 3 years straight because he knew that after the apostles all died, wolves would come in and lead the church away. This happened. What mainstream Christianity practces today is something entirely different from what Jesus taught and practiced. There is so much paganism in today's religion and not only are some of the religios practices of today not in the Bible, they are condemned by it.

I love this quote by Jesus,

He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:‘This people honors Me with their lips,
    But their heart is far from Me.
    7 And in vain they worship Me,
    Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’[a]

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men[b] —the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”

9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.

Mark 7:6-13
    Jesus blasts the religious leaders of the day for creating their own religion based on what THEY think instead of what's written in the Bible.

The Bible says to keep God's commandments and rule with Christ when he returns to earth at the conclusion of the apocalypse.

Christianity says you sare saved by grace, and when you die you join Jesus in heaven.

Bible says to dedicate the 7th day of the week to worshipping God.

Christianity dedicates the 1st day to worshipping God.

Bible outlines 7 holy days that celebrate and commemorate God#s plan for mankinds redemption.

Christianity tacks Christ onto the celebration of Ishtar, the goddess of sex and fertility. This is why you eat chocolate eggs and bunnys, symboles of new life. Also, the easter tradition is amusing. Good friday, Jesus died, on easter sunday, he was risen! Bible says He was in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights (+rep to anyone who can get 3 days and nights in between those two days!). Xmas is just as bad, and Jesus wasn#t born at the end of the year.

The Bible isn't open to interpretation, it contaisn the meanings and explantations behind its own symbolisms and mysteries, but because no one really studys the Bible, they don't see or know these keys and decide that they can put their own spin on it. Anyway, I have no intention in engaging much in this conversation, just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Ghost; 04-20-2013 at 19:48.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Americans also:
    eat bacon.
    Wear different fabrics.
    Women speak up on church matters without approval in most cases
    Idolize Bieber (now thats one major $#@!ing sin)
    Kids talk back
    And so on....

I haven't read the bible in 20 years... Sue me if i forget a few hundreds of "against gods words" christians have cherry picked OUT of their daily actions/preachings etc... While they stand tall and proud trying to dictate the lives of others (ooops, heres one omission... GOD IS THE ONLY JUDGE!!!)
    Christians reject the Hebrew doctrine of pork being unclean. This was cleared up during a 'vision' in the NT.

Muslims and Jews still adhere to it though.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Never read the bible cover to cover.

Why would James need to rewrite the bible just to get divorced? When Henry already made it so divorce was allowed.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-20-2013 at 21:39.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Never read the bible cover to cover
    "Render unto Caesaer what is Caesar's"

Christ said this, and it basically means obey the law. The Old Testament was written for the Hebrews and their theocracy during far older, more primitive, times.

There is no directive to make a nation a theocracy, not in the NT. So I don't see any contradiction.

Separation of church and state is a very important facet of the United States. We are, like most western nations, heavily influenced by Christianity (which itself is a combination of Greek and Hebrew philosophies) and you cannot really extricate it from it.

That being said, we are not a theocratic state nor do we endorse any one religion.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Christians reject the Hebrew doctrine of pork being unclean. This was cleared up during a 'vision' in the NT.

Muslims and Jews still adhere to it though.
    I think Chris Rock pretty much cleared it up too!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    If you guys have seen "The Book of Eli", you would know exactly why the world needs the bible. If people had nothing to fear, this world could be a very bad place..

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    If you guys have seen "The Book of Eli", you would know exactly why the world needs the bible. If people had nothing to fear, this world could be a very bad place..
    Lethal, that is a movie. Being moral due to fear of god is not really morality.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Lethal, that is a movie. Being moral due to fear of god is not really morality.
    It sure is. Without something to fear, people would not care how bad they were in their life. People needed something to believe to keep the world civil. They need to think there is something good after they die, to keep them good as they are alive.

Movie or not, I think "The Book of Eli" shows exactly why we have a bible. Why all areas of the world have a religion. To keep the world civil.

But this is also my opinion. I am sure there are many religious people out there that would love to prove the stories in the bible are real. But here is my largest gripe with the bible. Why did all that "magical" stuff only happen back then? Why not now when the world needs it the most? And to that, there is no answer.
    Last edited by Lethal; 04-22-2013 at 14:59.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    are you meaning the past tense when the Bible was a newly release book?

Friendship is Carrots
    The argument that morality stems from religion and not basic human nature is absurd. Morality exists perfectly well without religion. The fear of social repercussions and our engagement of sympathy and empathy functions well enough.

But this is also my opinion. I am sure there are many religious people out there that would love to prove the stories in the bible are real. But here is my largest gripe with the bible. Why did all that "magical" stuff only happen back then? Why not now when the world needs it the most? And to that, there is no answer.
    It's particularly strange how God and his feats disappeared when we began to accurately record our history.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-22-2013 at 15:22.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

17. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Just because someone made a movie depicting something doesn't mean it would happen if it were true. If you actually believe that movie, you might as well start believing The Matrix, Terminator, Looper, etc.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    It sure is. Without something to fear, people would not care how bad they were in their life. People needed something to believe to keep the world civil. They need to think there is something good after they die, to keep them good as they are alive.

Movie or not, I think "The Book of Eli" shows exactly why we have a bible. Why all areas of the world have a religion. To keep the world civil.

The antagonist also wanted the bible in The Book of Eli. There's also the thing that the world didn't turn to $#@! because the bible was gone, but due to nuclear war.

Also very secular countries, like Denmark or Sweden, are one of the best places to live in. They're doing fine without the holy books.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    There is a great tradition in Judaism called Qabbalah (or Kabbalah). One of the first english translations is by MacGregore Mathers, titled 'The Qabbalah Unvieled' I highly recommend checking it out if your into Bible studies. It deals at length with the symbolism found thru out the Bible, both metaphoricaly , and thru various forms of numeroulogical transpositioning, due to the original Aramic (the language the Bible was penned using) letters holding numeric values - similar to roman numerals.
    All men cannot come to greatness thru the same path, we are all in diffrent states of awareness, intellectually, spiritualy, emotionally, etc. Its for this reason (imho) that the various religions and thier assorted canons are necessary. The Truth is the Truth & cannot be denied, what ever path brings the individual a step closer to it is good in as much as that - at least.
    The greatest crime (imho) is the bending of religions by those with the power to do so, the Modern vision of Christianity is a extremely perverted mash up of various pagan beliefs. Many of the truly American visions of Christianity ala' Jehovas Witnesses, Mormons, 7th day advantest, etc are very modern re interpretations and hold very little in common with the Old Faith. This is not to say they have no use, only that they are different from what 500 years ago would be excepted as Christianity. 500 years before that the same holds true. The council of Nicea effectively edited out what they found against or not in support of a unified Christianity, this was for political reasons & practicality atleast if not more so than religious purposes.
    Look for truth where you can find it, if you find the kernel of wisdom nuture it and meditate on it, that it may grow- but please except nothing at face value, I believe even Jesus said something to the effect that he wanted Men to come to him with thie minds, and not just thier hearts, I may be making that up - but it sounds right.
    Sorry for the long winded nonesensical post
    for further reading check- Eliphas Levi's 'Tretise on the soul', Loren Eisley's 'Man the Cosmic Orphan', Kahil Gibran's 'Jesus as remembered by those that knew Him', Richard Alperts 'The Only Dance There Is',

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    sorry having trouble editing my post please forgive my numerous grammar and spelling errors. Soft kb's suck

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    Morality is a matter of perspective. Individually and communally. Religion serves as a benchmark or backbone for morality in many individuals lives. Right and wrong while having some commonalities especially at extremes is still a matter of personal perception.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Just because someone made a movie depicting something doesn't mean it would happen if it were true. If you actually believe that movie, you might as well start believing The Matrix, Terminator, Looper, etc.

And just because someone writes a book, does not mean it is true.....

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    The antagonist also wanted the bible in The Book of Eli. There's also the thing that the world didn't turn to $#@! because the bible was gone, but due to nuclear war.
    I understand that there was a war, but it is the bible that will bring society back. The movie shows what it would be like without religion, without a bible. This is why it was so important to find, or write the bible again. It was the entire point of the movie.
    Last edited by Lethal; 04-22-2013 at 18:41.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    There is so much paganism in today's religion
    Very true, and its very awesome. im Pagan myself and i love the fact people are unknowingly using our traditions while implying were evil at the same time. Its like..

"Your Pagan? do you sacrafice lambs and stuff? BRB im off to church to drink the blood and eat the fleash of jesus! BTW your Evil for what you do!"

Ka-lol. Its a shame, theres so much about all the yearly celebrations that people dont know, for example...

Christianity tacks Christ onto the celebration of Ishtar, the goddess of sex and fertility. This is why you eat chocolate eggs and bunnys, symboles of new life.
    Not only that! But Its also taken from Celtic pagan celebration of Ostara, the goddess takes the form of the Hare during the spring equanox goes for a frollic. thats the short version atleast :-p But thats another place we get Rabbits from!
    There once was a man named Sidney, he used to collect shells on the beach. everything was going well for him. untill he stopped and took a look, he had a glance and a stare and realised he what he was reading.
    It was a forum signature full of nonsense

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    And just because someone writes a book, does not mean it is true.....
    I agree 100%!

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    We have plenty to fear without the bible.

It's pretty arguable that religion has caused more uncivil behavior than not.

Thread Information