Latest PSU headlines:

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece

Why do Sony need regions?

I always wondered why sony divided in to three regions ( as far as I know, maybe there is more I don't know about)?
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This is a worldwide thing. This is due to pricing, tax, and distribution differences.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Dedicated Member
    It's one way to balance the loads on their networks. If users connect to servers in their own region, the latency will be better than connecting to a server that is farther away.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Also the whole NTSC and PAL thing, unless you're playing on a HDTV or handheld games, these are still used.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    This is a worldwide thing. This is due to pricing, tax, and distribution differences.
    ^ this

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Extreme Poster
    I'm sure they can eventually get rid of different regions of PS store (I presume this is what you mean) as they could make a check in there that only gives you the version of game that is for your region and the currency you have in your country. It can be done.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm sure they can eventually get rid of different regions of PS store (I presume this is what you mean) as they could make a check in there that only gives you the version of game that is for your region and the currency you have in your country. It can be done.
    Yeah, there's always something to look forward to with new consoles. Little things like this become better.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'd be pissed if they do that, I prefer to buy the NTSC versions of games especially the PS1/2 titles.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Yeah, there's always something to look forward to with new consoles. Little things like this become better.
    Yea, something PCs should have but they're just not as global or don't come off that way. Usually everything is local, not in all parts of the world. I bet Steam is not in all major parts of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I'd be pissed if they do that, I prefer to buy the NTSC versions of games especially the PS1/2 titles.
    Are you from UK? Well, they could easily just give you the option to buy whichever region you want. They could put in warnings there telling you what the risks are.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    There's US imports for games SCEE couldn't be bothered to test, but the prices on the US store are much more reasonable too.

I doubt they change the whole system now tbh, too much work and content, what they have now works fine.

yay, next gen!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    There's US imports for games SCEE couldn't be bothered to test, but the prices on the US store are much more reasonable too.

I doubt they change the whole system now tbh, too much work and content, what they have now works fine.
    Yea, I don't see it changing right now but who knows in the future.

Elite Guru
    If you're referring to lock out code regions for things like Bluray/DVD that's all decided by people other than Sony (mostly, although they did have a lot of say in Bluray region division which might explain why there are far fewer than there are for DVD.)

But if you're referring to PSN Store regions, that's due to issues like corporate workload distribution, ratings, content control, copyright and licensing contracts, and cultural controls. Some content works fine in more than one region but some are banned in some places or seen with a different mentality/morality than they would be in another. Europe for instance is a lot freer with sex and tight on violence, America is the opposite, Japan is well... Japan, which can be completely alien sometimes. Games that would sell millions in Japan do to cultural significance, sometimes don't register a blip anywhere else. Even with the rise in popularity of things like Anime, they still see a lot of that content as a niche market in the west that they can't predict so why spend the money hitting the whole spectrum when they can hit the largest centers of influence directly and allow other regions to target what THEY think is important. Unfortunately that means the minority opinion gets the shaft while a ton of content you'd rather not have floods the channel.

The upside is that Sony hasn't been as draconian about blocking overseas content lately, leaving the biggest difficulty to other region's content to be the money and language barriers in most cases. I think they see that if people are really that interested they'll go the extra mile to obtain certain content so let them have it, after all why should they care as long as they see money from a legitimate purchase but they can't change their business model over night. Not while overseas companies have local branches that can see a loss in profit if you choose to buy the Euro/Asian/etc. version from another region rather than wait for a properly localized one assuming you're ever going to get it at all. ...Yeah, I know, it feels like a catch 22. You might want "Super Japan Game 6" but they dont want you to buy it from Japan because then JapancoUS wont see any money if they bring the game out 2 years later, but yet they expect you to wait 2 years and they may not even bring it out so you really have no choice but to import. I suppose a lot can be said for companies like Atlus and NISA but they're small and they still miss things.

13. Likes jlippone, keefy wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    I hate the region differences with a passion. Bought a lemon in Armored Core V and its unplayable due to my copy being different than my PSN account. To play online (Which is the entire point of the game) requires to either buy a certain online content or the free patch for the content...but the patch only works when the game region and patch region are the same. Genius move right there when Korean PSN accounts requires a Korean SIN/SS number to create which foreigners don't get.

Thread Information