Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran

Sony 65-inch 4K TV at Best Buy

It's just a placeholder now, but it isn't priced as bad as it was sounding a few months ago:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+6...204k&cp=1&lp=2
    Sony - 65" Class (64-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 4K Ultra HD TV (2160p) - 120Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV
    $6,999.98

There are more indicators 4K Ultra is going to come up faster and less expensive than expected. This is a new-name brand, but a 50-inch 4K Ultra TV for less than $1500?

http://gizmodo.com/5994765/seiki-50+...tiful-so-cheap
    Seiki 50-Inch 4K TV Eyes-On: How the Hell Is a TV This Beautiful So Cheap?
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

2. Likes Tim Nunes likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Interesting we'll have to wait and see how demand is when its finally released

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    Ahh, I remember when things like 1080p and HDMI weren't supposed to catch on and 3DTVs were just pie-in-the sky.. There was just no way any of that stuff would become normal.. Not until the new consoles came out.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Ahh, I remember when things like 1080p and HDMI weren't supposed to catch on and 3DTVs were just pie-in-the sky.. There was just no way any of that stuff would become normal.. Not until the new consoles came out.
    Ah... no. Let's break that down....

1080p: When the PS3 came out with 1080p support, people said it would be a few years before 1080p became the norm. That turned out to be true. It was a few years before it became the norm for televisions. Even today, a look on the BEST BUY website shows 118 (720p) sets for sale VS. 332 (1080p) sets for sale. So just over 1/3 of sets being sold are still 720p. This being almost 6 1/2 years after the PS3's release.

1080p was bragged about in the PS3 VS. the Xbox 360 debate. Well.. first of all the 360 didn't have a HD disc format in the console, so 1080p wasn't needed for DVD movie disc playback. Then a software update allowed 1080p upscalling in the 360 later.

But most importantly...... true 1080p gaming never really became the reality it was claimed it would be. Other than a title here and there, most PS3 games only supported 1080p in an upscale mode, not natively. So 1080p was over-hyped to say the least. The majority of games are 720p.

HDMI: I don't recall anybody saying HDMI wouldn't catch on. They said it wasn't needed for HD gaming. 720p and 1080i are HD modes and they look just fine through component connectors.

Also.. when the PS3 was released, most TV makers were well under way with dumping DVI in favor of HDMI. Only computer monitors and PC graphics cards stuck with DVI long after HDMI had replaced it on televisions.

3DTVs: Yeah.... pie in the sky? Don't recall that. I do recall detractors saying it wouldn't really catch on and they were right. The fad lasted about a year or two. Now most movies released quit bragging it was in 3D or even release in 3D anymore. Most movie theaters dropped it or only have it on a screen or two. Certainly not the ticket sales savior the studios and the theater owners had hoped.

As for gaming? Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 supported 3D and other than a few titles, it went nowhere fast. 3D on console games did much worse then the movies did. The 3DS is the only place where 3D kinda thrives..... only because it comes built-in to every one sold. So all devs support it by default.

6. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    PSU Executive Editor (US), Brosota, Platinumer
    That $1500 TV blows my mind. Usually, new technology from any source is robustly priced, but that is right around the mid-range cost for high-end televisions now, and I can't help but stare at it. As the article read, if the upscaling engine is top-notch, that TV might be the only one that makes any ground in the new generation of TV.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    It's hard not to pre-order a $1500 4KTV. Eat it, Sony, Samsung and LG. And it's funny how it's easier for films to be output at native 1080p, but harder for games.

Veteran
    Considering higher end digital cameras are 4K themselves or better, they can take off-screen screenshots that really give an indication of how much sharper and how much it pops out in 4K. It is strange to see 80-inch LED 1080p HDTV in Walmart for less than $6,000. Two years ago, they were technical marvels and going for $100,000. Now, those are going to be outdated soon. If that 50-inch 4K is any good at all, since I am in the market for a new HDTV anyway, why not an Ultra Def?
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    It's hard not to pre-order a $1500 4KTV. Eat it, Sony, Samsung and LG. And it's funny how it's easier for films to be output at native 1080p, but harder for games.
    Well polygonal gaming has to worry about rendering complex 3-D objects in native 1080p which requires a lot of buffer memory and processing power. Rendering the 2-D plane of a 1080p movie/game natively or merely upscaling a movie/game is a much simpler computational task.

That's why most native 1080p games are relegated to 2-D PSN/XBLA games and not the normal mainstream 3-D games.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    HDMI: I don't recall anybody saying HDMI wouldn't catch on. They said it wasn't needed for HD gaming. 720p and 1080i are HD modes and they look just fine through component connectors.
    Um no they don't lol. You must not have a good TV then. No way in hell components can ever come close...There's a difference, maybe the casuals can't see it but it's there. Components look blurry/jaggy as hell.

gaming? Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 supported 3D and other than a few titles, it went nowhere fast. 3D on console games did much worse then the movies did. The 3DS is the only place where 3D kinda thrives..... only because it comes built-in to every one sold. So all devs support it by default.
    They both supported it but if I recall correctly, the PS3 supported the better approach to it.

Extreme Poster
    Um no they don't lol. You must not have a good TV then. No way in hell components can ever come close...There's a difference, maybe the casuals can't see it but it's there. Components look blurry/jaggy as hell.

gaming? Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 supported 3D and other than a few titles, it went nowhere fast. 3D on console games did much worse then the movies did. The 3DS is the only place where 3D kinda thrives..... only because it comes built-in to every one sold. So all devs support it by default.
    They both supported it but if I recall correctly, the PS3 supported the better approach to it.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

It didn't say there wasn't a difference, I said they would look fine for the most part through component. If casuals don't notice it then it's not the big deal as some portray it to be. I know HDMI is better because it's an uncompressed digital signal. But component looks pretty darn good. Where component starts to clearly show it's weakness is as the screen sizes get bigger and you get closer to the screen.

As for the PS3 had a better approach to 1080p games....... how so? Whatever you are talking about clearly didn't translate into a bonanza of 1080p native games for the PS3. 1080p gaming amounted to a spec talking point in the end. We should see it far more now.

Curious if any devs will still stick with 720p again next-gen. You would certainly get better performance with it then with 1080p on very complex games. Could mean the difference between 30fps or 60fps locked depending on the game. I'd put up with some games in 720p if it meant a locked 60fps.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 04-21-2013 at 09:56.

Extreme Poster
    It didn't say there wasn't a difference, I said they would look fine for the most part through component. If casuals don't notice it then it's not the big deal as some portray it to be. I know HDMI is better because it's an uncompressed digital signal. But component looks pretty darn good. Where component starts to clearly show it's weakness is as the screen sizes get bigger and you get closer to the screen.

As for the PS3 had a better approach to 1080p games....... how so? Whatever you are talking about clearly didn't translate into a bonanza of 1080p native games for the PS3. 1080p gaming amounted to a spec talking point in the end. We should see it far more now.

Curious if any devs will still stick with 720p again next-gen. You would certainly get better performance with it then with 1080p on very complex games. Could mean the difference between 30fps or 60fps locked depending on the game. I'd put up with some games in 720p if it meant a locked 60fps.
    But you're agreeing that it wasn't needed for HD gaming, I think it is needed. You know, 480p also looks fine and most people can't notice the difference. I think we should have some expectations as gamers.

While I disagree with a BD in the console and the design choice, I think the HDMI was definitely worth it.

I didn't mean 1080p, I meant 3D, for better approach.

Ultimate Veteran
    Ah... no. Let's break that down....

1080p: When the PS3 came out with 1080p support, people said it would be a few years before 1080p became the norm. That turned out to be true. It was a few years before it became the norm for televisions. Even today, a look on the BEST BUY website shows 118 (720p) sets for sale VS. 332 (1080p) sets for sale. So just over 1/3 of sets being sold are still 720p. This being almost 6 1/2 years after the PS3's release.

1080p was bragged about in the PS3 VS. the Xbox 360 debate. Well.. first of all the 360 didn't have a HD disc format in the console, so 1080p wasn't needed for DVD movie disc playback. Then a software update allowed 1080p upscalling in the 360 later.

But most importantly...... true 1080p gaming never really became the reality it was claimed it would be. Other than a title here and there, most PS3 games only supported 1080p in an upscale mode, not natively. So 1080p was over-hyped to say the least. The majority of games are 720p.

Also.. when the PS3 was released, most TV makers were well under way with dumping DVI in favor of HDMI. Only computer monitors and PC graphics cards stuck with DVI long after HDMI had replaced it on televisions.

3DTVs: Yeah.... pie in the sky? Don't recall that. I do recall detractors saying it wouldn't really catch on and they were right. The fad lasted about a year or two. Now most movies released quit bragging it was in 3D or even release in 3D anymore. Most movie theaters dropped it or only have it on a screen or two. Certainly not the ticket sales savior the studios and the theater owners had hoped.

As for gaming? Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 supported 3D and other than a few titles, it went nowhere fast. 3D on console games did much worse then the movies did. The 3DS is the only place where 3D kinda thrives..... only because it comes built-in to every one sold. So all devs support it by default.
    LMFAO!!!!!111111four the difference being, the PS3 launched with an HDMI port. Just saying. I think I can count on one hand the amount of TVs that accept 1080p over composite. Nice try, though.. Like.. Word up bro.
    Last edited by Lefein; 04-21-2013 at 10:54.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    LMFAO!!!!!111111four the difference being, the PS3 launched with an HDMI port. Just saying. I think I can count on one hand the amount of TVs that accept 1080p over composite. Nice try, though.. Like.. Word up bro.
    It's component, not composite...BRO! And I never said 1080p over component, I said 720p and 1080i.... BRO! Considering almost all the games this gen were 720p, I guess 1080p over HDMI didn't amount to much unless you were watching 1080p movies... BRO!

Nice try yourself... BRO!

Ultimate Veteran
    It's component, not composite...BRO! And I never said 1080p over component, I said 720p and 1080i.... BRO! Considering almost all the games this gen were 720p, I guess 1080p over HDMI didn't amount to much unless you were watching 1080p movies... BRO!

1080i, it's the look and sound of perfect bro.

Extreme Poster

No, that's simply not true. HDMI is better even if you had 720p signal.

Master Guru

Bro

Ultimate Veteran
    4k is nice is 8 k is the next step lol

PSU Executive Editor (US), Brosota, Platinumer
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    4k is nice is 8 k is the next step lol
    Maybe, but I can't wait another half year. My longing for new technology is too strong for me to have money in my wallet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information