Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Dutch sending Humans to Mars for new reality TV Show (One-way Trip)

Applications are being accepted by the makers of a Dutch reality show that says it will deliver the first humans to the red planet in 10 years.

The main requirements are strong health, good people and survival skills, being 18 or older, and having a reasonable grasp of the English language.

The company, called Mars One, aims to land its first four astronauts in 2023 for a televised reality show that would follow the exploits of the first humans to attempt to establish a colony on Mars.

Already, the organisers have received "10,000 emails from more than 100 different countries from people who are interested in joining us for this mission", said founder Bas Landsdorp at a news conference in a New York hotel.

In all they are seeking six groups of four people each. A new group would make the seven-month journey every two years after the first crew departs in 2022.

The cost for the first mission is about $US6 billion ($A5.9 billion).

"It sounds like a lot of money. And actually it is a lot of money. But imagine what will happen when the first people land on Mars. Literally everybody on the globe will want to see it," Landsdorp said.

The project has garnered plenty of sceptics but is backed by Dutch Nobel laureate Gerard 't Hooft, who won the 1999 prize for physics.

The world's space agencies have only managed to send unmanned robotic rovers to Mars so far, the latest being NASA's $2.5 billion Curiosity rover that touched down in August 2012.

Major drawbacks to the proposed mission include the inability to return to Earth, the small living quarters and the lack of food on the dry planet. That is, if the radiation endured during the trip is not lethal, and if the volatile landing goes according to plan.

Key attributes for applicants, according to Mars One medical director Norbert Kraft, are being adaptable, resilient, creative and having empathy.

"Can you really work with other people from other countries, as a team?" he asked.

Many questions remain about how the astronauts would survive, breathe and drink on a planet with a temperature of minus 55C and whose atmosphere consists mainly of carbon dioxide.

But the company's representatives insisted that they believe they are within ethical guidelines by pursuing their mission.

"The long-term aim is to have a lasting colony," said Hooft. "This expansion will not be easy. How soon that will be accomplished is anyone's guess today."
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel...-1226626724666

That's some pretty big drawbacks, anyone wanna go?
    I hope you get a look at the other contestants first before you sign on the dotted line.

Imagine if you sign up and the other 3 contestants who you are spending the rest of your life with are all guys.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 04-24-2013 at 00:38.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well I'm certainly in no condition to go. Though, it would be awesome to take a two-week vacation there!

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I`d go but i couldn`t get the annual leave..shame really. I would be a $#@!hot astronaut.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

El Presidente
    Oh dear lord jersey shore mars edition! *pukes*

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Thowing an Austin Powers dutch was the first thing that I felt like, but didn't.

Sorry but no, I would not go. I'll watch the show if it happens...but I think it won't end well.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I bet there's stuff in that contract clause that goes over a lot of loopholes and gray areas. In other words, whatever happens..happens. And Dutch will not be held accountable for it. Not that I give a $#@!, it's interesting to see humans colonize and start a civilization on Mars or completely $#@! the $#@! out of it and kill each other because there aren't constitutional laws.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    I bet there's stuff in that contract clause that goes over a lot of loopholes and gray areas. In other words, whatever happens..happens. And Dutch will not be held accountable for it. Not that I give a $#@!, it's interesting to see humans colonize and start a civilization on Mars or completely $#@! the $#@! out of it and kill each other because there aren't constitutional laws.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I guess if I was suicidal I'll go lol. Forget that.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    This whole thing is the very definition of..... "taking one for the team"..

I love how it lists "not returning to earth" as a "major drawback" lol...

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Boring, anything original for a change.... Need something worth while and exciting, not this rubbish
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Boring, anything original for a change.... Need something worth while and exciting, not this rubbish
    I'd tune in, it'd only be a matter of time til the space madness hits.
    People want out of Big Brother going in and no doubt some will want off Mars once the harsh realities settle in. Hopefully they pick smart people who are prepared and are willing to work towards the big picture.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    sounds good to me, where do I sign up? i shall name the rocket SS Zod

Thank you itachi

Apprentice
    is Frank Sinatra's Fly Me To The Moon the theme song or eulogy.

Out of all the creatures to walk the Earth, HUMANS are the most CRUEL.:iagree

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Yep but the end result is the fact it is a one way trip... So a reality death is not one thing that sounds pleasing too watch
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information