Latest PSU headlines:

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style

[Playstation 3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

914lv36y2KL._AA1500_.jpg

This is a review of Dark Arisen the re-release of Dragons Dogma. This review only covers the new Bitter Black Isle part and not the full game. For original Dragons Dogma review please click here http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...Dragon-s-Dogma.

Dragons Dogma-Dark Arisen is the anticipated expanded version of Dragon’s Dogma. After listing to the players Capcom created the evil Bitter Black Isle for higher level players to come test their might against new foes. This place lives up to the challenge, but in some ways you would not have guessed.
    Noticeable changes in interface
    -You can now equip two jewelry slots
    -interface when opening and closing menus is faster
    -jewelry has its own category
    -Japanese language option
    -Hard mode/speedrun has their own option at start menu

If you think your pawn may have been rented use original Dragon Dogma to sleep and get rift stuff. Resting in Dark Arisen you will get "invalid data."
    Story
    At night in Cassidus you meet a girl who tells you she is basically projecting herself. She takes you to Bitter Black Isle and tells you little else saves for there is a dungeon, she has lost her memories, and you are not the only Arisen to visit. With such little knowledge you dive deeper into the depths of this new dungeon. At start there is a monument you cannot read. For this you find etchings in the dungeon that unveil the story and thus the girl’s memories.
    That’s it, that is all you are given. The plot and story is even thinner than Dragons’ Dogma and I can’t fig out how that is possible. In the last 15 min yeah you learn a lot, but the other 12hours 45min leading to it is dungeon crawling, which would be ok except for the dungeon itself is not very impressive.
    New Stuff
    On the new isle you get cursed items that you must bring back to the girl to uncurse and they give you random items (like really really random). Each item is splint into weapons, items, and novelty. What you get depends on the lvl and the item. The best items are of course the rings which upgrade certain abilities for classes basically making them stronger. There are also many new weapons and armor, some better than everfall loot.

Dungeon
    This place is HARD!!!! The mobs are completely brutal. For a place made for lvl 50, I at lvl 130 was struggling but there were a few factors that really made it seem harder than it was.

Factor 1-Other peoples pawns dressed skimpy with little resistance: Yep you can NOT have your pawn dressed skimpy anymore in this place. Those pawns WILL DIE. The low resistance is not a good thing unfortunately I have yet to find an actual pawn not dressed skimp so this is making my dungeon time more painful. I tested my level 59 tank with full Crimson Armor and best gear and she was taking less damage then a level 130 dressed skimpy!!!

Factor 2-Pawns with ****ty inclines: Yep inclines make all the difference and I have struggled to find ones with good combo. It takes me on average 20 min of searching various levels to find ones with good incline, good armor, and good skills. It sucks because there are so many guides out there and seems like players just want to look at skimpy girls (often in kid size) all day long.

Factor 3-****ty AI: Yep the AI still sucks major. The enemies in the new dungeon are very resistant to physical, thus making augments on weapons more crucial and unfortunately the AI will buff you with the wrong one making it painful. When I was held by a mimic they would often stand there doing nothing even after I tapped help, and finally they love to stand in the one hit spell rings thus leading me to res them every 5 min.

However this is not the type of hard you would see in a game like Demons Souls or Dark Souls, this the cheap cop out hard. To make it seem hard they throw tons of mobs at you with high health and high damage output. I was wearing the best armor I could get from everfall and was getting rocked. To make it seem even harder you do extremely little damage unless you hit the mob in its weak spot. In Dragons Dogma sure you did reduce damage if not hitting the mob with the right weakness element/spot, but you would still do a decent amount and they have changed that in this dungeon. The relying on right element/right weak spot with the tons of mobs with high health and damage is just a cheap feel. Unlike in the DS series were if you die it was your faults and you learned what to do, this game depends so much on the Ai support for right everything it all seems like the perfect storm is a must to win.

Most of the dungeon is close quarters, dark, and has water so min you get knocked down it becomes harder to see. Because of this pawns like sorcerer, rangers, striders die very very often. Yes get those fighters out because this is a place were high armor is better.

Because everything is so physical resistance if you play a mystic knight or magick archer you will dominate this place. Seriously I switched and it was so easy. I know you’re thinking “hey then why not get a sorcerer pawn.” That is a great thought and I thought the same, yet once again the players and AI hold you back because most sorcerers have the big spells that take forever making them worthless. People with Sorcerer Pawns please please just use ingle, Levin, miasma, and frigor.

Rift Crystals are the name of the game here. You use them to uncurse items, re-build rift stones, and light various lanterns. Do not worry they drop very very often.
    Often your screen with faded black and white, this means a boss is appearing and guess what…it is all random when and where it happens and what the boss is. This defiantly adds to the hard part as you could be fighting a mini boss then a boss appears. Good news is you can run out of the level then go back in and its gone.

Some doors require Moonbeam Gems to open. these places are optional but loot hunters will want to dive right in. Moonbeam gems are found scatter throughout main part.

After you beat MR. Bad guy you are free to explore everything the dungeon has. If you go to hunt for new armor have fun.

The Bad
    This pains me so much to say but the dungeon design is repetitive. Think Dragon Age 2 dungeon repetitive complete with blocking off areas. I started getting the “haven’t I been here before” about an hour in and sure enough I was right. This is completely lazy and unacceptable. It really made me want to stop playing. I hated it in DA2 and I hate it here.

So Yuuichi should I buy this if I have never played Dragon’s Dogma before?
    Yes. Dragon’s Dogma is still a fantastic game. Dark Arisen part just seems rushed.
    What if I already own Dragon’s Dogma?
    Yes once again. The changes are great and make the game even better. If you have other games to play right now hold off a bit then.
    Final Verdict
    Dark Arisen- 7/10: Could be better and often feels like they just made it to shut higher level players up about being over leveled and game to easy.
    Dragons Dogma + Dark Arisen-9/10: Still a great game if you missed it first time around get it now!!

Yuuichi Likes:
    -New changes in menus
    -New Gear
    -New monsters

Yuuichi Hates:
    -“difficulty” feels cheaply made
    -Pawns die to fast with low armor (your healer going to die a ton)
    -Reuse of same map over and over
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 04-26-2013 at 00:40.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

2. Likes Sir_Scud likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Woot! Glad you made your review! It's been indexed, even with all the server errors lol. Shame to hear the the game's difficulty is more cheap than skill based. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, despite the flaws.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I dont mind hard games, but I draw the line at cheap. That just means its more frustrating than fun.

This review made me unsure if I even want the expansion, I think if you cant atleast match the greatness of the base game.. why both with an expansion at all

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I dont mind hard games, but I draw the line at cheap. That just means its more frustrating than fun.

This review made me unsure if I even want the expansion, I think if you cant atleast match the greatness of the base game.. why both with an expansion at all
    The changes to Dragon Dogma really are good. Even seems the AI is a bit better. If you got the money to spend I would go for it. I will be going back through Dark Arisen when I am lvl 160.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    Woot! Glad you made your review! It's been indexed, even with all the server errors lol. Shame to hear the the game's difficulty is more cheap than skill based. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, despite the flaws.
    Hahah yeah whats up lately with that. Yeah the cheapness and repetitive dungeon brought the grade down. It was ok I do not plan to go back will my pawns lvl 160 and I will only be using mine.
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 04-25-2013 at 13:00.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Thread Information