Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style

Iron man 3 - my "review" *major spoilers!*

After months of anticipation I finally watched Iron Man 3 last night. After leaving the cinema I came away with the following thoughts and would like to know what other people have thought about the film.

WARNING: I MENTION HUGE SPOILERS HERE SO DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT.

You guys agree / disagree with any of this stuff?

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yet to see it, but movie spoilers dont bother me much.. but im curious.

Why is "Film assumes that you've seen the first two and the Avengers... Doesn't explain where war machine comes from and why he is inferior to Iron man" a con? I mean its Iron Man 3, it shouldnt really need to re-explain things its already covered. Should it?
    Last edited by Fenix; 04-25-2013 at 13:00.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Yet to see it, but movie spoilers dont bother much me.. but im curious.

Why is "Film assumes that you've seen the first two and the Avengers... Doesn't explain where war machine comes from and why he is inferior to Iron man" a con? I mean its Iron Man 3, it shouldnt really need to re-explain things its already covered. Should it?
    Any poor movie go-er that hasn't seen the first two will struggle to see the evolution of the Iron Patriot and what makes him different to Iron Man. Outside the suit it's apparent but inside it's not so. Obviously you don't want to watch old footage over and over again but they need a reference to Tony giving him the suit (Although I might just have missed it) and a scene where Iron Man out performs Iron Patriot, as I think he should have the edge... la the laser spin at the end of the IM2.

"XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jim View Post
    Any poor movie go-er that hasn't seen the first two will struggle to see the evolution of the Iron Patriot and what makes him different to Iron Man. Outside the suit it's apparent but inside it's not so. Obviously you don't want to watch old footage over and over again but they need a reference to Tony giving him the suit (Although I might just have missed it) and a scene where Iron Man out performs Iron Patriot, as I think he should have the edge... la the laser spin at the end of the IM2.
    That's more of a movie goer problem than a movie problem. If your watching a sequel then you shouldve seen the one before it, the movie doesn't need to waste time to retread old story points cause you didn't watch the first two movies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    That's more of a movie goer problem than a movie problem. If your watching a sequel then you shouldve seen the one before it, the movie doesn't need to waste time to retread old story points cause you didn't watch the first two movies.

I don't think thats true. For The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings, yes. If you want to make a good film, it should stand on its own two feet. Like I said before, I don't mean lazy flashbacks of previous films. Just subtle hints that boost the narrative.

Elite Member
    So... I don't want to risk spoilers, did you enjoy the movie a lot?

I loved the first Ironman and was really disappointed with Ironman 2.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Yeah what LastManDancing just asked, was it good? Is it a huge improvement over IM2?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    MoneyM07
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Yeah what LastManDancing just asked, was it good? Is it a huge improvement over IM2?
    I thought it was a good movie but I thought the twist in the movie was a little funny and bad at the same time. You have to watch it to know what I'm talking about. I don't wanna spoil it for you.

Elite Member
    I saw Iron Man 3 last Thursday and while I enjoyed it (http://www.magjournal.net/iron-man-3-review/), the big twist that everyone is discussing did piss me off.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

10. Likes Lebowski likes this post

i agreed,,,,,

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Just saw it. Bad. Do not recommend to anyone, whether you liked the first two or not

Iron Man - 8/10
    Iron Man 2 - 6/10
    Iron Man 3 - 3/10

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I had high hopes as it was being hyped up as better than 2, and maybe it was but only barely. There is WAY too many suits now, Iron Man/Stark barely has anything special or unique about him anymore. You could send any of them off with the Avengers and it wouldn't really matter.

Plus all those stupid limb power were just ridiculous, reminded me of Terminator too much. I should mention I'm a superhero movie fan not a comicbook fan.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

14. Likes John25 likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Actually Dave, the limb powers were based off of a really popular and cult classic comic book novel written and published in 2006 by Adi Granov, it's called Extremis. The three IM movies were based off of this, only very subtle in the first two, and full circle in Iron Man 3. It's actually really nice they did that, and it was pretty faithful.

As for having the suits, that's just back up. They wouldn't last in an Avengers fight because they are controlled by protocols and the A.I. , Jarvis. They would have to be piloted by Tony himself for good accuracy. And they were blown up. This whole movie was more Stark and his suits were background. We see more character than in the previous two, which is really nice..

My only weakness with it is The Mandarin. I understand trailers are supposed to lie, but not to that point. I've never been lied to that way before, ever, from watching a trailer. That was bull$#@!, I hated the twist, but that's because I'm an Iron Man fanboy. From a writing perspective, it's genius and hilarious.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    [QUOTE=Cyn;6085515]Just saw it. Bad. Do not recommend to anyone, whether you liked the first two or not

Iron Man - 8/10
    Iron Man 2 - 6/10
    Iron Man 3 - 3/10[/QUOTE]

Thats a Generous score for 1 of the Worst films I have seen this year by far!!!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Actually Dave, the limb powers were based off of a really popular and cult classic comic book novel written and published in 2006 by Adi Granov, it's called Extremis. The three IM movies were based off of this, only very subtle in the first two, and full circle in Iron Man 3. It's actually really nice they did that, and it was pretty faithful.

As for having the suits, that's just back up. They wouldn't last in an Avengers fight because they are controlled by protocols and the A.I. , Jarvis. They would have to be piloted by Tony himself for good accuracy. And they were blown up. This whole movie was more Stark and his suits were background. We see more character than in the previous two, which is really nice..

My only weakness with it is The Mandarin. I understand trailers are supposed to lie, but not to that point. I've never been lied to that way before, ever, from watching a trailer. That was bull$#@!, I hated the twist, but that's because I'm an Iron Man fanboy. From a writing perspective, it's genius and hilarious.
    The Mandarin bit was probably the only genuinely funny parts of the movie and I didn't mind it. The rest was just a ridiculous film. It was like watching a fan made parody of the first two films. The writers must have been as high as kites when they thrashed out the script. The story was all over the place, nothing made any logical sense

It's just a film of nonsensical plot devices to drive the dumb story down and equally nonsensical path

None of the characters had any depth, even for a hollywood film they were shallow with only witless banter telling you they're standing in the same room as each other.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I think we've seen the movie by now, and for those who still haven't... clearly this thread has spoilers, so....

It's funny, I think I'm the only one who really enjoyed this film.

Iron Man 1 8/10
    Iron Man 2 6/10
    Iron Man 3 8.5/10

I love all the humor. These Marvel movies are simply fun... The issue might be comic book readers who are more invested in the canon than the casual person. I stopped bothering to expect any real depth after Captain America came out. You have Thor which is most nonsensical and nonlogical comic character I can think of.

The plot twist with Mandarin was simply really good comic relieve to otherwise overbloated movie. I really enjoyed the henchmen adding to the stir of humor as well. The kid pissing off Stark was borderline but I think Shane kept it just within bounds. The hardest part was the end where Killian just doesn't die but thankfully that's varied enough to not be too overdone. I knew Potts would come back and then take him out. Fighting fire with fire.

P.S. 10,000th post.

EDIT: Btw, the house being destroyed... would it kill directors to use miniatures anymore? We already have a ton of CG between the suits and various bits of them.
    Last edited by RedDragon7; 05-20-2013 at 05:02.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    I actually liked the Killian fight a lot, I think that was a nod to Terminator 2 when the T-1000 rebuilds himself; Killian rebuilding skin tissue from that explosion.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    That would've worked if Killian was the only one who could regenerate. But I get the point.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    MoneyM07
    They boldly stuck with the "Mandarin twist" and actually did it. With that aside, they really wasted a great villain not only for Iron Man but for the Avengers.

Off topic, if whatever studio was doing the Fantastic Four movies did it right, Dr Doom could have also been a great villain for the Avengers

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by Epyon_1 View Post

Off topic, if whatever studio was doing the Fantastic Four movies did it right, Dr Doom could have also been a great villain for the Avengers
    I love doom as a villian especially his arrogance.

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If every movie reiterated everything that happened in previous movies it would be boring for those that have seen the previous movies.

Just like "previously on game of thrones..." FFS I saw the previous episode only last week or if you got the blu ray 10 minutes ago.

Iron man wasn't very Iron man in this Iron man movie.

What Mandarin Twist? It thought it was fairly obvious who was behind it all.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-25-2013 at 01:44.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Just like "previously on game of thrones..." FFS I saw the previous episode only last week or if you got the blu ray 10 minutes ago.
    I appreciate that they do it. Between all the story lines and the names, it can be hard to remember everything that went on. Besides, they also have to cater to people who might not watch regularly/each week.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    I appreciate that they do it. Between all the story lines and the names, it can be hard to remember everything that went on. Besides, they also have to cater to people who might not watch regularly/each week.
    GOT is juts 1 example many other shows do the same and its not needed.

yeah Iron man 3 is a great entertaining movie i watched it last weekend through this

http://sms111.com/blog/video/2013/05...-movie-sms111/

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    GOT is juts 1 example many other shows do the same and its not needed.
    For some people it is. GOT more than others,

Thread Information