Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Indeed. Should be interesting to see, if true, how that works. It is clearly designed as a 2nd hand game deterrent, and DRM. If companies like Activision and their Call of Duty game support this, more than likely we will see it trickle into the other consoles for consistency. Or on that token, REMOVED from a system for consistency if it turns out to be a failure feature/security implementation.
    If its true I can see two things heppening

1. The our cry against it will be so loud they change their minds.
    2. They stick to guns and sales suffer.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I wish I shared your optimism, but just watch. It's probably a HUGE play to leverage publisher support. If the next Xbox takes off real well, prepare to see XBox win over a lot of exclusive content or even franchises from third party as a result. That's not a chip that MS will let go of anytime soon.

I've tried to warn people that this was all in play, but no one seems to want to listen.. Or worse, there are people who have the "My internet is always on anyway" mentality.. and it will be the cancer of gaming.

For the past generation and into the next, I've been labeled every terrible thing under the sun that a "fanboy" could be named. I've been called out personally. I've been ganged up on. I've been permanently infracted. I've been banned. This whole time, I've been merely playing the role of resistance fighter for the gamer. I've rued this day for a long time.. But the money talks.. and now you know why I do what I do.
    I get where you are coming from with the 'always on' they are possibly going to try to shove down our throats, but hopefully if they end up going through with it there will be enough upset gamers to make them change their mind...kinda like with the Windows 8 start button...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I get where you are coming from with the 'always on' they are possibly going to try to shove down our throats, but hopefully if they end up going through with it there will be enough upset gamers to make them change their mind...kinda like with the Windows 8 start button...
    I don't know...they didn't listen to the gamers with Xbox Live for Windows. Still no games, still no free online, and has a huge lack of features. People complained up the wazoo, and the service just sits there like crickets.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I don't know...they didn't listen to the gamers with Xbox Live for Windows. Still no games, still no free online, and has a huge lack of features. People complained up the wazoo, and the service just sits there like crickets.
    True...very true...

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Microsoft will get away with Always-Online if they do it. Their marketing is too strong and they'll snag some exclusives, as Lefein said.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    I agree that they'll get away with it. Which is a terrible thing

Indeed. Should be interesting to see, if true, how that works. It is clearly designed as a 2nd hand game deterrent, and DRM. If companies like Activision and their Call of Duty game support this, more than likely we will see it trickle into the other consoles for consistency. Or on that token, REMOVED from a system for consistency if it turns out to be a failure feature/security implementation.
    COD may not be the best example as you're playing that online anyway but yeah as it sounds like Sony are leaving it up to the publisher to decide on a game-to-game basis, and MS are making it a requirement, the PS4 will be in the same situation as PC gaming is now; majority of games requiring authentication. Who would be surprised to see proper uPlay, Origin etc integration effectively acting as DRM?

This is all bad news for gamers

Soldier 95B
    The bizarre question here is, if always online dips into the pockets of publisher and developers, then they would never support it. Their goal is to make as much profit (and revenue) as possible. Requiring an internet connection could lose them millions and millions. No way would they recoup the cost of pirated and second hand games just by going always on. They would lose more than they would gain.

There is not a single person sitting in a board room at Activision thinking "yeah let's go always online and take a loss". So while it may be true, I tend to think there are some catches.

I wonder how well ONLINE passes have encouraged people to pirate less, play second hand games less, and if it actually has benefited their bottom line?

Why are we not seeing reports saying "This year compared to last year we have sold X number more copies (and online activated X number of copies)"

I support DRM, but only when it doesn't prevent us good gamers from having a good experience. Case in point, I can play Battlefield 3 online on my Xbox, but if my son goes upstairs to play it online, he can't. My household should be able to play the game without friction. If they can't give us a seamless experience like that because they can't determine who is in a household, then they need to drop it, or fix it.

Same goes for always on. I support it, if it works for the legit gamers and doesn't put them at a disadvantage.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Let's be fair a moment here. Every time there was a rumor be it good or bad for the Playstation, we had it up and running. We can't just exist in a bubble here and there's little point in trying. To refuse to do so is to promote ignorance.

We must seek to be well-informed. MS will reveal the console soon enough. In the meantime, the whole internet is going to be awash in speculation and rumors. We just have to..

It's not like our fellow forum members are actually writing the articles posted.
    lol true that.
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    So what? If it has to be connected to play games then I'm out.
    This.
    You missed the part where I said I was concerned for others. My internet is always on, single player or not single player, so I am not concerned for ME. I am for others though.

Do you get that?
    I could have perfect internet with 100% uptime with a 1TB/s connection. but if something goes wrong at their en;. or in the event of an attack (AnON etc), or some other minor inconvenience ( i.e. power outage at my end; router failure etc) then you can't play games.

Oh what? Do something else they say(channeling the Orthy sicophants) - $#@! you (not anyone in particular just the general 'you' )! I want to play games. You know - the main EFFING reason why I bought the damned thing!

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    i will not hesitate to hack/mod my ps4 or the next xbox if the games require online connection to play sp games...and with ms running a version of windows 8 on the next box, i believe it will be easy to hack/mod
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 04-25-2013 at 21:14.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    but if something goes wrong at their en;. or in the event of an attack (AnON etc), or some other minor inconvenience ( i.e. power outage at my end; router failure etc) then you can't play games.
    Yup, that sucks. Luckily for me at least, that would either probably never happen or if it did, it would be so infrequent, I wouldn't even notice. That is for me though. Not everyone has the same connection, same luck or same wishes or desires as me.

I have plenty of always on devices, and I am fine with consoles going that route so long as it doesn't impact my gaming experience. If it ruins the experience for a large number of people however, they should rethink it.

Elite Member
    What happens if you some how get banned from live? Your warranty has run out you have a break down then buy some spare parts put your xbox back together and get the ban hammer. That has happened to people with the current xbox for the duration you wont be able to play any games.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Soldier 95B
    I don't feel any pain for people that get banned from XBL. If it is because they repaired their own Xbox and that was against the TOS, then your loss.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Sounds pretty Draconian to me. If it must be connected to use then it must be connected to use. Sounds pretty simple to me. This is a dealbreaker for me I believe.
    Definitley a dealbreaker for me too.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    This again...lol The online thing isn't real deal breaker for me. I do wanna hear more on how it will be implemented if true. I get the feeling that if this turns out to be not true, some people will just move on the next excuse. Connected devices aren't so bad.

15. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    This again...lol The online thing isn't real deal breaker for me. I do wanna hear more on how it will be implemented if true. I get the feeling that if this turns out to be not true, some people will just move on the next excuse. Connected devices aren't so bad.
    I don't have a problem with devices being connected either, but if they decide to not let a game work because it is simply not connected then that is just $#@!ty on Microsoft's part.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    It is strange that they would take a loss with the subsidized console. A $499 console with 2 years of Gold Live would cost at least $619. It would only cost $539 for the $299 subsidized console and a $10/month fee for 2 years.

Microsoft makes around $100 extra from the current $99 subsidized Xbox 360; which has a $14.99/month fee for 2 years. With 2 years of Gold Live the non-subsidized Xbox 360 would have cost $369. If you get the subsidized version it would add up to ~$459 for the $99 console plus the fee for 2 years.

Forum Sage
    I don't have a problem with devices being connected either, but if they decide to not let a game work because it is simply not connected then that is just $#@!ty on Microsoft's part.
    And if they don't?

If they do go that route then it should make the choice simple. As i stated above, if this turns out to be totally false people will move on to the next complaint. Gamers will be gamers.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    And if they don't?

If they do go that route then it should make the choice simple. As i stated above, if this turns out to be totally false people will move on to the next complaint. Gamers will be gamers.
    Then the next complaints will at least be inconsequential or at least (hopefully) don't affect gamer's abilities to play singleplayer games.

Which in that case will just be like business as usual.

Forum Sage
    Then the next complaints will at least be inconsequential or at least (hopefully) don't affect gamer's abilities to play singleplayer games.

Which in that case will just be like business as usual.
    It's really not that big of a deal to me. I don't think MS is as stupid as some people think. The 21st of may is probably gonna shut a lot of people up and then they could move on to to the next reason.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    And if they don't?

You are right in the fact that people will always find something to complain about, but them doing that would only hurt them especially since Sony has stated that you don't have to be connected to play their single player games, they will just be pushing their userbase over to Sony by doing that. I still plan to get both consoles regardless, I just think it is kind of a $#@! move (if they do it) on Microsoft's part to do that to everyone.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    It's really not that big of a deal to me. I don't think MS is as stupid as some people think. The 21st of may is probably gonna shut a lot of people up and then they could move on to to the next reason.
    They're not infallible (Sony and MS) which is why these concerns about always online and the used game thing (before Sony announced) were waited on with baited breath.

It wouldn't be a shock if they did - I'm sure all these companies are just waiting to go "full retard". And of course, many will blindly follow.

Which sucks because I'm sure most of just aren't ready for gaming to die via mass-suicide (which would be the case if Sony or MS were to implement either of these things. Until the world can guarantee 100% internet at South Korea speeds (minimum) and companies like D-Link can guarantee faultless routers that don't randomly disconnect or freak out; or until there is a fair way to implement a no used games tech; then yeah do it.

But right now; leave it the $#@! alone.

Or we might be forced to go Nintendo - and I don't think anyone's body is ready to go Nintendo-exclusive.

Forum Sage
    You are right in the fact that people will always find something to complain about, but them doing that would only hurt them especially since Sony has stated that you don't have to be connected to play their single player games, they will just be pushing their userbase over to Sony by doing that. I still plan to get both consoles regardless, I just think it is kind of a $#@! move (if they do it) on Microsoft's part to do that to everyone.
    No, which is not a bad thing, but you do have to be connected to use things like Gaikai and other services. When it's all said and done these consoles are probably gonna be more similar than different. Both are gonna be pushing the connected experience.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    No, which is not a bad thing, but you do have to be connected to use things like Gaikai and other services. When it's all said and done these consoles are probably gonna be more similar than different. Both are gonna be pushing the connected experience.
    They are - and pushing an always online in the sense of downloading games in the background recording games, and predicting purchases add to the experience.

But requiring it is a whole kettle of fish; especially in order to play SP games.

Forum Sage
    They are - and pushing an always online in the sense of downloading games in the background recording games, and predicting purchases add to the experience.

But requiring it is a whole kettle of fish; especially in order to play SP games.
    If it's true.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    If it's true.
    lol settle Gretel. That goes without saying - and I wasn't saying that it will be true. Let's all try not to get too thinned skin about these things, especially about these MS rumours.

In any case; the point still stands.

Thread Information