Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    breakend28
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    There will never be world peace. To think so is to be naive. We will never come together in common interest and then be at peace with each other. Fact of the matter is that the problems humanity has are problems that can't just be washed away by some common threat, enlightenment or intellect. The problems we face won't magically go away because people wish it so. This isn't to mention man's inherent self-destructive nature.

We are by far, the most destructive species on the planet. We nuke each other, gas each other, bomb each other and impose our will on each other as if we have a divine right to rule over one another. We screw each other over in every way imaginable and say to hell with the consequences and once those consequences come home to roost, we push them onto the next generation of ourselves as if they will somehow have it all figured out all the while handicapping them based on some medieval ideology we've boxed ourselves into imposed by our predecessors.
    Well Said!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Will we? Will all peoples and nations someday live in complete harmony? Will North Korea and South Korea give each other a hug?

Is world peace just like Santa Claus, part of the imagination or some unrealistic?

Bonus Question:
    If the world had one leader or one government for the whole world, would that bring world peace? Is that what's necessary to bring world peace?
    I doubt it. World peace is utopian. As long there are limited recourses and competing technologies there will always be a reason for conflict between countries.

See the current oil war.

Bonus:
    Total globalisation, will leave people so repressed that revolutions and even civil war will be unavoidable.
    Last edited by MjW; 04-26-2013 at 09:23.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

El Presidente
    There will never be world peace because someone will always disagree with others and that will lead to fighting. If the world is filled with clones who think and act the same way maybe you've got a shot, otherwise no. Sad but true.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Unfortunately, I think humans will always be at war.

My prediction:
    In the next 1000 years when we start playing with genetics, a new superhuman race will be created. Superior in intelligence being the main difference, I doubt we will start changing our appearance. They will be incredibly resourceful, using clean energy from fusion reactors, sharing thier knowledge and masters at preserving the Earth. The humans will undoubtedly wage war against the super humans... The humans will lose and it will be the last ever war on Earth.

I wish I could be around then to see it.

So as people have said above,
    As long there are humans; there will always be war.
    I think Einstein said something very similar.

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There will never be world peace, not as long as the human race is alive. It's not even a case of us fighting our enemies anymore, it's got to the point where we're fighting literally everyone. As long as we're living and breathing, there will be violence and war. As some have pointed out, the human race has always been at war with it's own kind and I can't see that changing at all in the future. If anything, it will get worse with time, as more weapons are created. Like many have said, I can see science playing a huge part in our downfall.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Finally You Are Free
    I think it's unlikely, but I do think things will progressively become more peaceful and tamer over time. Perhaps in the far future our species can finally learn to move past petty hatred, or a new type of society will replace what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    In a world full of peace, all the government has to do is what Japan does: limit the amount of kids. It may not be Japan, but one Asian country only allows couples to have 2 children. That would stop the world from over populating.
    Yes, and Japan is suffering for it because their working force is diminishing while welfare stacks up. Though, in a world with peace we could probably focus on actually improving the world (big shocker to national leaders, I know), and work on better gathering and utilizing our resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    there was "Peace" when the Romans conquered most of Europe. in fact, it is the longest known period of peace that has been observed, if i recall correctly.
    When was this time period? Between the conquering itself, the goths, the Celts, and the internal disputes, I can't see a lot of time of peace.

Unbound Mercenary
    As a Christian I can only pray that we one day have peace. But reality ensues when the world shows just how ugly and cruel its people can be.

There will never be world peace as there will always be evil in it.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    When was this time period? Between the conquering itself, the goths, the Celts, and the internal disputes, I can't see a lot of time of peace.
    i couldn't say
    that is being recalled from mandatory year 8 History classes.

i think it may have been when Constantinople became the new capital of rome??? or maybe when Rome and Egypt were "allies"...
    but as i say, its all recollection. but i was careful to quote 'peace' as the definition was probably being used rather laxly as i know that by the time Romans were out as far as Persia and such the capital had serious internal issues.

perhaps the term simply referred to a relatively stable time between countries?

EDIT:
    decided to look it up
    The name "Pax Romana" - "Roman Peace" is very decieving, because almost entirely throughout it wars were being fought, whether they be against the Parthians, the Germans, the Britons, the Dacians, or someone else.

The temple in Rome to Janus - the two faced god after whom the month of January is named - had two doors which were always left open, or rather almost always. The doors could only be closed when Rome was not at war with any country, anywhere. It says something about the Romans that when Augustus was able to have the doors closed near the begining of his reign, signifying that Rome was at peace with the world, it was only the 4th time in Roman history that this had been done, and it was not long at all before the doors soon had to be opened again, and after that, they stayed open. There were always wars to fight, usually just border scraps or rebellions, but every now and then a full-fledged invasion like the ones into Britain, Dacia, Germania, or Parthia, or a really serious rebellion like the one in Judea would crop up. Even after Augustus had turned Rome into essentially a military power on the defensive, she still thrived on warfare.

The "Pax"s of the great empires are always rather decieving. Throughout the entirety of the "Pax Britannica" Great Britain fought literally hundreds of wars to maintain her mighty Empire, and I'm not sure I even have to talk about the "Pax Mongolica".

The "Pax" more signifies a Golden Age of prosperity for the Empire rather than it necessarily having been at peace.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-26-2013 at 14:17.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Finally You Are Free
    Yeah. I'm not an expert on Roman history specifically (more of a jack of all trades when it comes to history), but I was definitely under the impression there wasn't any real period of peace for Europe under the Roman Empire. Certainly intermediate periods of lesser or no warfare, but not enough to constitute as a period or age of peace. Though arguably Rome's hold of territory may have kept the smaller kingdoms and clans among Europe from wrestling it out constantly, so perhaps it was more peaceful in that regard.

But that's besides the point. Because I believe, really, you were using it as an example for (super) hegemonic stability theory, no?
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-26-2013 at 15:35.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC

In short...no.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Basic blunt fact that since different regions have different religious beliefs there will always be conflict. Religion is at the root cause of a tremendous amount of violence today as it has been since the dark ages and even before.

Not saying one religion in particular, just religion as a whole. The strong, devout believers will always be in direct conflict with those who are not.
    LMAO

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Yeah. I'm not an expert on Roman history specifically (more of a jack of all trades when it comes to history), but I was definitely under the impression there wasn't any real period of peace for Europe under the Roman Empire. Certainly intermediate periods of lesser or no warfare, but not enough to constitute as a period or age of peace. Though arguably Rome's hold of territory may have kept the smaller kingdoms and clans among Europe from wrestling it out constantly, so perhaps it was more peaceful in that regard.

But that's besides the point. Because I believe, really, you were using it as an example for (super) hegemonic stability theory, no?
    that's very astute...much too astute

i'd be lying if i said i wasn't, but as always, its my preference to speak generally here.

running the risk of giving my 'own' opinion (heaven forbid) "peace", in whatever definition chosen, is most attainable when people see eye to eye. when a common goal is shared many of the things that separates people are often forgotten. when peoples civil liberties are threatened, or lessened, people "see" a better understanding.
    the common ground in this case is whatever superpower to be in question.

to run even closer to my own opinions, a totalitarian state is something that i find inherently intriguing. Totally flawed and unsuitable, but still, an interesting framework.....but i digress.

if you were wondering, i don't think the US classifies as a Hegemony. for all their 'strength' and 'power' a large majority of the world[states] still ignore them.

does that make me a realist? i've never given it much thought myself
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Probably not anytime soon.

Heck, we can't speculate (or make jokes/light of the matter) about a $#@!ing electronic gaming machine without people freaking the $#@! out - let alone world peace!
    Amen to that lol.

Dedicated Member

Peace will happen, when our sun becomes a red giant.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    Items Linkin ParkUser name style
    I highly doubt it. being as the human nature cant stop from killing each other :/
    that and people strive for power and control.

Elite Member
    Definitely NO, what ur suggesting is that we go against the natural law of things. Look around, every species on this planet is violent even plants, $#@! a volcano is $#@!ing violent as hell so is the weather. Look at space, galaxies, and the universe, they are a pretty violent place. U got the Sun blasting radiation equals to god know how many Nukes, star exploding, black holes sucking in and destroying planets, asteroid smacking the $#@! out of every planet that it hits, and supernova, etc. While it a pretty violent place we live in/around it has it great and beauty moment at times.

There is no "world peace", just "moment of peace" and there nothing wrong with that. As for one world government/ one leader all I see is mass( triple digit millions) execution and enslavement. SO while most people dream of these fairy tales and dreamy ideas, I shake in fear because to me it's a motherfucking nightmare.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items DoomVita
    Impossible, i mean look at countrys (if you can call it that) like Israel, created to give a group of people their own land because they kept demanding it, then spent the last like 50 years or so attacking their neighbours, murdering countless innocents, stealing land and building their own stuff ontop of destroyed villages, all while claiming their the ones under attack and the world should side with them.

Aslong as countrys like that exist, the world can never know peace, not when greed lives on in the hearts of men and woman, and the value of a human life is judged only by what they stand between. When someone can cast someone down simply because of what they belive, be it religion, politics, sexuality. Aslong as natural distasters happen, people suffer and countrys go with it, econemys are impacted and people become poor. they turn to other countrys for help and they get it, only sometimes with a massive debt attached that some people refuse to let go of.

There can never be peace, humanity is incapable of it, no matter how well people can get along there is always something that they can find cause to argue over. i mean look to christianity (and no this isnt an attack, just pointing out things that actualy happen), i happen to know someone who was part of a baptist church for years upon years, held bible groups and all that, everything was fine. But when the other people found out that one daughter was pagan and their son was gay, well their tones soon changed. Evil was named and so was sins.

And worse of all, the absolute worst thing about humanity and you can all just deal with that fact that a majority of this forum falls into this catagory. infact you yourself reading this now might do. But we cant all just agree that drinking propper tea (milk and suger, what kind of fool drinks it black?) and watching Doctor Who, is awesome.

Its a shame Charlie Chaplin's speech didnt effect the world in the way he hoped it would...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo

The King has Returned

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Not until humans start questioning their reasons for war, poverty, hatred, racism etc....

The balance needs to be struck and humans just need to listen more
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I dont believe we ever could i just dont honestly believe its in Human nature to be peaceful and live in harmony.

While it sounds nice and easy its not

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    it's an illusion
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    World peace? No. Not ever...war is a money making machine.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    We will. At the return of Jesus. Then we'll all get to chill and drink grape drank. And play videya games. And watch all my favorite teams win championships. World Peace is coming.

OH, and...

World Peace

$Greatness$ Awaits™

A billion dollar question but don't have a exact answer

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Not as long as the human species continues to exist.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    We will. At the return of Jesus. Then we'll all get to chill and drink grape drank. And play videya games. And watch all my favorite teams win championships. World Peace is coming.

OH, and...

World Peace
    That has to be one of the gayest pictures ever. Who the f@@k is that?

Thread Information