Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Next Xbox rethinks DRM, achievements and Xbox Live friends

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/426...ievements-live

The next Xbox, set to be unveiled during a May 21 event on Microsoft's Redmond-based Xbox campus, will bring with it not just new hardware, but a slew of tweaks to the social aspects of Microsoft's console.
    Sources tell Polygon that the current version of the next-gen console includes a next-gen approach to video sharing, anti-piracy protection, social networking and a massive expansion of the Xbox 360's popular achievement system.
    Like the recently announced PlayStation 4, the still-unnamed next Xbox will include the ability to capture video highlights of gameplay and then share them through networks like Facebook and Ustream.
    In February, during the official PlayStation 4 unveiling, Sony officials detailed the heightened importance of sharing game experiences. The ability to share a snapshot from a game or show off a gameplay video is so important that a "share" button is incorporated into that upcoming console's new controller.
    Pressing the PS4's share button allows players to begin capturing their own gameplay in real time and then broadcast it to their friends using social networks.
    Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.
    Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.
    Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.
    The next Xbox will allow publishers to decide if their games should require an internet connection to be played.
    The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.
    Another thing developers and publishers will have more control over with next-gen Xbox games is the way achievements are used and updated.
    With the next Xbox, developers and publishers will be able to add more achievements to a game after launch, without the need to add DLC. This is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior, perhaps urging players to check out specific areas of a game or get past a difficult spot. Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend. Companies can also create cross-title achievements, like awarding points for finishing the first chapter in two different and unrelated games published by the same company. Some of these bigger, cross-title, communal achievements will be a requirement for all titles.
    Microsoft is playing around with cross-platform achievements as well. Ideally, these achievements could be earned by playing a game on the next-gen system and then using a companion app, a website or maybe even by playing a specific game, like a prequel to a next-gen title, on the Xbox 360.
    Microsoft is also looking to adjust the way Xbox Live functions to more closely align it with the way other social networks, like Twitter or Facebook, work. The next-generation Live won't have a cap on the number of friends a person can have. The way players add friends will also change. Now instead of it being a two-way friendship only, people can choose to follow one another, sort of like Twitter.
    We've reached out to Microsoft for comment on their support of always-online DRM, changes to Live and achievements and addition of video capture to the still-unannounced console and will update this story if and when they respond.
    Update: A Microsoft spokesperson had this to say in response to our questions and the article: "We're excited to share more about the new generation of games, TV and entertainment on May 21, but have nothing further to share at this time."
    Last edited by TwentyThree; 04-26-2013 at 19:40.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    i like what im reading especially there take on video sharing and how the friends system will work....not a twitter user but it all sounds intriguing

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    That DRM sounds a lot better than most rumours. The way the single player DRM is handled will be a deciding factor whether I get only one for the kids or 2 nextboxes

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Ultimate Veteran
    Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement.
    /donewithit

Friendship is Carrots
    Making it really easy on deciding which system to pick.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member
    This must be the "less Draconian" that he was talking about. If it's left up to the publishers, will any of them opt out? It's doubtful.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    /donewithit
    Thankyou MS for making my decision an easy one. PS4 it is then.

Elite Guru

Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.
    Sony will be doing the same pretty much.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Friendship is Carrots
    I guess we can wait and see. I will, as I'll wait for the first price drop and pick the better of the two. But if it becomes even remotely common whatsoever, I'll just skip this generation. I absolutely despise that bull$#@!, and at least on the PC I can rely on modders to crack the flimsy DRM.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I guess we can wait and see. I will, as I'll wait for the first price drop and pick the better of the two. But if it becomes even remotely common whatsoever, I'll just skip this generation. I absolutely despise that bull$#@!, and at least on the PC I can rely on modders to crack the flimsy DRM.
    Wait and see is the most sensible viewpoint for right now.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    And now it's easier to boycott some pubes!!

I will be supporting the console makers and most devs/pubs...

I will not support those that use "draconian" measures.

Next Gen top picks:

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Remember sony patent that was circlating last year.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    And here we go. Welcome to the next-gen online DRM system. The future of gaming. If Sony hops on this wagon too then count me out. I donīt mind optional online functions like share/facebook/twitter stuff and so on. But when disasters like Diablo 3 and Sim City will become the norm for single player games on a console then this $#@! is going to far. The PR talk of the always-on is ridiculous. What have you to "rethink" about it ? It is what it is.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/article/diab...ther-explained

Or will they?

Superior Member
    Appears that it will be left up to the publishers, just as the Nextbox is rumored to be doing.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

16. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Banned

/donewithit
    Keep it real dude...... you were never gonna be with it cuz it's the Xbox platform. Didn't matter if they implemented this or not.

Anyways...

The one thing I thought was cool (even though I likely won't use this DVR function too much) is the trigger event recording. I can see setting it to save the 30-60 seconds prior to getting an achievement. That way you don't have to edit it out of a long recording session. Or... if you have it recording all the time, have an event marker on the timeline when an achievement is made so that we can zero in on that moment.

Personally I don't see using this share $#@! on either console. Let's keep it real here.... how much or for how long did most people use a similar function starting with Halo 3 and it's gameplay recording and sharing service? Not a whole lot beyond the initial coolness of it. Halo 3 started this whole notion on consoles in the first place. Now it will be universal across games.

Superior Member
    /donewithit
    /likeyoueverstarted

I think I'll stick with my theRadBrad videos on youtube if I want to see someone game.

Can't wait

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    um people have been using capture cards way before halo 3. youtube and see how many clan matches that ppl recorded, welcome to competitive play where ppl enjoy showing off or showing ppl out! i for one will use the $#@! out of it, i am glad ms will also go that route

um didnt they say that calling ppl out are against the rule and will earn a temp ban? lol
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 04-26-2013 at 21:26.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    um people have been using capture cards way before halo 3. youtube and see how many clan matches that ppl recorded, welcome to competitive play where ppl enjoy showing off or showing ppl out! i for one will use the $#@! out of it, i am glad ms will also go that route

um didnt they say that calling ppl out are against the rule and will earn a temp ban? lol
    I said Halo 3 started this ON CONSOLES! Go look at my post. Recording has been done on consoles for years now. GTA:San Andreas had the record function on Xbox, you just couldn't save it or share it with others. And even then it was only like the last 15 seconds or so of gameplay. You couldn't go any earlier in your gameplay. It was pretty useless.

Halo 3 was the first to allow you to share it with others directly without having to videocard capture it and youtubing it out to the world. No other console game had done that prior to Halo 3.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    People will use "sharing" all the time. It's going to be a great feature for sites that do video reviews and those that make walkthroughs.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    People will use "sharing" all the time. It's going to be a great feature for sites that do video reviews and those that make walkthroughs.
    Initially maybe.... but it will wear off quickly. It reminds me of people always emailing me jokes of the day or links to youtube videos. After awhile I start ignoring them cuz I don't have the time or the will to bother with them anymore.

In a busy world, I find it hard enough to find time to play my own games, let alone look at my own highlights. Why am I gonna want to start watching OTHERS playing a game? That's just time wasted NOT playing my OWN games.

The walk-throughs are the only thing I might look at if I was stuck. Beyond that...don't have the time.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Ugh, the sharing. People are going to share them owning me daily.

24. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Sage
    /donewithit
    I think PS4 leaves that up to the developer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Initially maybe.... but it will wear off quickly. It reminds me of people always emailing me jokes of the day or links to youtube videos. After awhile I start ignoring them cuz I don't have the time or the will to bother with them anymore.

In a busy world, I find it hard enough to find time to play my own games, let alone look at my own highlights. Why am I gonna want to start watching OTHERS playing a game? That's just time wasted NOT playing my OWN games.

The walk-throughs are the only thing I might look at if I was stuck. Beyond that...don't have the time.

That depends on how it is done. If it is as easy as both of them say, I see people using it.
    Last edited by sainraja; 04-26-2013 at 22:22.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    I said Halo 3 started this ON CONSOLES! Go look at my post. Recording has been done on consoles for years now. GTA:San Andreas had the record function on Xbox, you just couldn't save it or share it with others. And even then it was only like the last 15 seconds or so of gameplay. You couldn't go any earlier in your gameplay. It was pretty useless.

Halo 3 was the first to allow you to share it with others directly without having to videocard capture it and youtubing it out to the world. No other console game had done that prior to Halo 3.
    easy there tiger, im not arguing that halo was not the first! all im saying is, if its important for ppl to go out there way and buy a capture card to do it, imagine what it'll do now that its part of the OS! thats all

27. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ugh, the sharing. People are going to share them owning me daily.
    Rejoice in the fact you'll have me to own and share your exploits!!!

I quite simply suck on anything multiplayer!!!

Next Gen top picks:

Thread Information