Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
Results 51 to 71 of 71
  1. #51
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,077
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,533 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    My problem is that the XBox seemingly needs to always be online itself. That makes implementing always-online DRM a mere triviality for the publishers. I think the DRM will be uncommon at first, due to the bad press they will receive, but four years down the road? You'll hear them say "But your console is always-online, anyway. Why do you care?"

    The fact that PS4 and WiiU work offline means that always-online protected games will be obvious and detract from potential sales to the userbase. With 720 being always-online, it's almost as if MS is a bell-hop holding the door open for publishers to implement it without impunity. I think this is a pretty significant difference. This DRM technology has evolved faster than the dialogue about it. Will games be clearly labeled that implement this kind of thing? Will they need to be labeled on an always-online console?

    One thing is very apparent on almost every forum. XBox supporters were very vocal about Microsoft's special arrangement with EA until this Always-Online debacle broke to the internet. The Sim City launch was a travesty of epic proportions. There's been a bit of an uneasy hush about the whole thing as of late. The gaming press has been unusually mum on the matter as well. IMHO, gamers have every right to be a little upset about these rumors.
    Services such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video are streaming services and require an internet connection at all times. Since they are designed to stream content, it's not unusual to say that an internet connection is required.

    Most of the always online discussion we're hearing has to do with services like that. I think the next Xbox, like the PS4 will function offline. They are just designed from scratch to be connected.
    Last edited by sainraja; 04-28-2013 at 16:56.

  2. Likes mistercrow likes this post
  3. #52
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,382
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    15,507 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Services such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video are streaming services and require an internet connection at all times. Since they are designed to stream content, it's not unusual to say that an internet connection is required.

    Most of the always online discussion we're hearing has to do with services like that. I think the next Xbox, like the PS4 will function offline. They are just designed from scratch to be connected.
    There is a difference between "always online" and "requires to be online to use x-y-z services".

    Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  4. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
  5. #53
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    105,212 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah, Netflix works just fine on my Vita and I assure you that it is not always-online.

  6. #54
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    This could end up in MS' favor. If a dev wants on-line DRM and Sony and Nintendo doesn't have it, they may make deals with MS for exclusives or DLC.
    It looks like both consoles are doing the same thing with the online requirement determined by the publisher/developer. I just hope it doesn't $#@! up the experience.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  7. Likes mistercrow likes this post
  8. #55
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,613
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Are there any rumors/confirmation that Sony is also doing it? It's likely going to happen but I'm just wondering if they have said anything about it yet.

  9. #56
    Elite Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,291
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    13,329 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Are there any rumors/confirmation that Sony is also doing it? It's likely going to happen but I'm just wondering if they have said anything about it yet.
    Sony said that they are leaving it up to developers to decide rather to include it or not.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

  10. #57
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,613
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Oh ok didn't know that. I must've missed that in the conference unless it was an article later published. Yea that makes total sense...really it has less to do with the console makers and more to do with technology advancements...now they have the ability to put more services in the background and like PC, developers have more control over their content.

    I guess we're going to see more hubs and centrals like we already do on PC (Steam, Origin etc.) and if not yet then definitely next-next-gen.

    Either way we're going to see more DRM and that's just the way it is. One thing I'm glad about is that developers got the message that we don't want online passes. I tried very hard to get over it but couldn't and have missed many good games due to this but I'm glad because they need to get it.

  11. #58
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    News for ya all.

    Its already here.

    My son went to play Kingdom of Amalur yesterday offline, and guess what?

    "Must be connected to EA servers to play".

    So, yeah, uh...too late..its here already...forget next generation.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  12. #59
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,613
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    News for ya all.

    Its already here.

    My son went to play Kingdom of Amalur yesterday offline, and guess what?

    "Must be connected to EA servers to play".

    So, yeah, uh...too late..its here already...forget next generation.
    You're kidding right?

  13. #60
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You're kidding right?
    Nope, had to connect it up to Live just so he could play the game.
    My understanding is, if the game save is created "online" it must be loaded "online".
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  14. #61
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,613
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Oh ok that makes sense...since when did games have online saves? Unless they're online profiles which is in multiplayer games. Weird. Does Live have a cloud system?

  15. #62
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    164
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Next gen games could be online only, block used games, etc. There is nothing stopping a publisher from doing that with a game. Just like theres nothing stopping them from NOT participating in the online passes to make money from secondhand purchasers, and many dont in fact participate. Who does? Sony. Online passes standard across all their games...this odd "they will force DRM for everyone and block all used games" rumor started, and now its somehow fact that MS are the greedy/DRM used game killers in the industry. lol If MS does indeed do this then Sony will be doing it too. Neither company would if the other one wasn't. Neither would be that dumb.

  16. #63
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    164
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    News for ya all.

    Its already here.

    My son went to play Kingdom of Amalur yesterday offline, and guess what?

    "Must be connected to EA servers to play".

    So, yeah, uh...too late..its here already...forget next generation.
    Yep. Sad but true. Whether you go nextbox or PS4 this is something we're all going to have to deal with as console gamers.

  17. #64
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Oh ok that makes sense...since when did games have online saves? Unless they're online profiles which is in multiplayer games. Weird. Does Live have a cloud system?
    No, your misunderstanding (although yes you can save to the cloud on the 360).
    If he "signs into EA servers" (i.e. in online) and creates a new game, he cant play that game save unless he is signed into the EA servers.
    The game save is local.


    Basically if you start offline, you can continue offline.
    If you start online, you must be online to play.

    The save is local ,and is a single player game.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  18. #65
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,613
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Next gen games could be online only, block used games, etc. There is nothing stopping a publisher from doing that with a game. Just like theres nothing stopping them from NOT participating in the online passes to make money from secondhand purchasers, and many dont in fact participate. Who does? Sony. Online passes standard across all their games...this odd "they will force DRM for everyone and block all used games" rumor started, and now its somehow fact that MS are the greedy/DRM used game killers in the industry. lol If MS does indeed do this then Sony will be doing it too. Neither company would if the other one wasn't. Neither would be that dumb.
    I don't think these consoles will be online only.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    No, your misunderstanding (although yes you can save to the cloud on the 360).
    If he "signs into EA servers" (i.e. in online) and creates a new game, he cant play that game save unless he is signed into the EA servers.
    The game save is local.


    Basically if you start offline, you can continue offline.
    If you start online, you must be online to play.

    The save is local ,and is a single player game.
    That's a design issue, not the same as what's coming ahead.

  19. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
  20. #66
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I don't think these consoles will be online only.


    That's a design issue, not the same as what's coming ahead.
    Pretty sure its the same result for us, not online, cant play the game, and who's to say they all wont do it this way, once you online, you are "hooked". If you stay offline you are fine.

    Personally I think this is what they will do.

    In other words if you console is never hooked up to the net, then you can play offline.
    Soon as your online, your game become online only.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  21. #67
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    164
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Pretty sure its the same result for us, not online, cant play the game, and who's to say they all wont do it this way, once you online, you are "hooked". If you stay offline you are fine.

    Personally I think this is what they will do.

    In other words if you console is never hooked up to the net, then you can play offline.
    Soon as your online, your game become online only.
    Yep I can see that happening.

  22. #68
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,613
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Pretty sure its the same result for us, not online, cant play the game, and who's to say they all wont do it this way, once you online, you are "hooked". If you stay offline you are fine.
    Personally I think this is what they will do.
    In other words if you console is never hooked up to the net, then you can play offline.
    Soon as your online, your game become online only.
    But that will make people complain. I think they will either just keep the game playable either way or online only.

    They could always give incentives to people who will connect online. They did that with launch copies or something along those lines.

    nvm, both mine and your idea don't make sense lol.

  23. #69
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    14,016
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,966 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    News for ya all.

    Its already here.

    My son went to play Kingdom of Amalur yesterday offline, and guess what?

    "Must be connected to EA servers to play".

    So, yeah, uh...too late..its here already...forget next generation.
    Should send it back


  24. #70
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    But that will make people complain. I think they will either just keep the game playable either way or online only.

    They could always give incentives to people who will connect online. They did that with launch copies or something along those lines.

    nvm, both mine and your idea don't make sense lol.
    Problem with online only is, there million who aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Should send it back

    Who to? Its not even allowed on the shelfs anymore LOL.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  25. #71
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,613
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Problem with online only is, there million who aren't.
    That's exactly why it won't be online only. They will definitely sneak something in there but probably nothing more than what we've seen on PC...maybe a little more organized as it's a closed box but nothing radical.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.