Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

About to finish GOW: Ascension, what's wrong with it? (SPOILERS)

I don't know how to use the spoiler tags so spoiler alert!

I'm about to finish Ascension. I have all the eyes and feathers, and with my blades maxed out I'm upgrading everything else.

Here's my question:
    Why are God of War fans saying Ascension is horrible and no where near as good as the other 5 GOW games? To tell you the truth, I place Ascension above GOW 2 when ranking them. I like it that much!

Last edited by Lethal; 05-03-2013 at 06:11.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I don't know how to use the spoiler tags so spoiler alert!
    Same way you write quote tags but instead you write spoiler [ spoiler] [ / spoiler]

Here's my question:
    Why are God of War fans saying Ascension is horrible and no where near as good as the other 5 GOW games? To tell you the truth, I place Ascension above GOW 2 when ranking them. I like it that much!
    I enjoyed the game overall but the story felt more filler than necessary. Would have been better if they started during the war when Kratos was human and ended with him killing his family and swearing vengeance against Ares... IMO

SPOILER ALERT!

I'm stuck at a certain part. I'm in the lantern and I have the eyes of truth. Now I'm on a platform. You use the eyes of truth and you pull a lever with your chains. That's when two giant snakes come out. Along with the snakes, you fight sirens. After that part, you pull the lever again and the fighting area becomes narrow. These spear chicks come out and you fight a hammer guy.

I can't get past this part. If you die from the spear chicks, you have to start ALL the way over again. You can't recover your health.

Help!
    Getting past the sirens and snakes is the hardest part in the game. I found it easier if you kept your distance and used the freeze and clone techniques. (You know the kratos clone that jumps up and down. L2 + Triangle i think it was.)

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Liked ascension. But gow2 is better...

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    atrin1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post

Getting past the sirens and snakes is the hardest part in the game. I found it easier if you kept your distance and used the freeze and clone techniques. (You know the kratos clone that jumps up and down. L2 + Triangle i think it was.)
    Exact same way I passed it. Also if your use the regular blades of chaos the fire ones the L3+R3 chaos meter builds up way faster than the others.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    atrin1
    And also I really liked Ascension it's a great game but GOW 1&2 were just so damn awesome

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The game is fun and I enjoyed it. The problem I had with it was pointed out by, Bitbydeath. I agree that they should have placed the game further back in time when, Kratos was a Spartan General.

Apprentice
    What's wrong with Ascension?

-No grapple pull except for the very basic enemies (E3 demo had it for every enemy, even the big ones)
    -fire magic looks a lot worse than in E3 demo, works differently and IMO not as cool
    -rage mechanic works a lot different than in the E3 demo; in E3 demo you had your basic triangle and square moves, but the special moves got enhanced, as well as other abilities like rage magic and normal magic (AFAIK)
    -the Talos didn't have that annoying "you can't hit me" attack. Well, if they didn't include the rage mechanic AS IT WORKS NOW, that attack wouldn't have been an issue. But because rage works as it does, it is.
    -less and worse effects in some areas
    -sound effects are less intimidating and cool (especially the sword which had that very cool slicing sound, now it just "sounds"... can't describe it); sound effects of the blades have been removed and replaced. The basic triangle move which sounded $#@!ing badass in the E3 demo, or even the sound of a spirit of hercules (triangle triangle triangle) have been removed and completely changed.
    -less moves; combat is not nearly half as fluid as the E3 demo

The SP feels as if at LEAST 1/3 was cut and the story was just "taped together" with sticky tape. It's a freaking mess IMO. They promised an origin story, and we got absolutely nothing in that regard. No origin story. No backstory with his family. NOTHING. ZERO. It was a big joke, and I am seriously disappointed. I still enjoy the game and I still think it's a good game, but not a fantastic GOW game. It's a real shame that they changed the game so much since E3 2012 and that they HAD to make multiplayer, AND that they didn't take the opportunity to tell a story in Kratos' life that we haven't heard before. Because everything besides the furies has been told before. Btw: As much as I like the MP, I can't help but think that it took away a big amount of money from SP.

Master Guru
    Nothings wrong with God of War: Ascension. Sometimes people just need a reason to downplay a game, even if it's part of a franchise they love.

The game was straight up awesome and one of my favorites in the series.

Veteran
    I'm one of the biggest God of War fans out there and I loved it. I don't think the real fans were complaining. More like a vocal minority who don't like the franchise anyway.

This one's combat was a lot more engaging than the previous ones. The story actually clears some things up as well.

But hey, it is one of those franchises that people love to hate on.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I made a thread earlier saying this was one of my favorite in the series. It certainly has one of the most epic end battles of any game.

Thread Information