Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Soldier 95B

Next Gen Xbox IllumiRoom Demo

Costly and appeal to a niche crowd? Of course. Just like a triple screen Forza setup with 3 TVs, 3 Xbox 360's, 3 copies of Forza and a $500 racing wheel. I have that. And that is just for Forza. There is a market out there for pretty much any gimmick or hobby no matter the cost.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Costly and appeal to a niche crowd? Of course. Just like a triple screen Forza setup with 3 TVs, 3 Xbox 360's, 3 copies of Forza and a $500 racing wheel. I have that. And that is just for Forza. There is a market out there for pretty much any gimmick or hobby no matter the cost.
    Yep. Some people thought Kinect's price was too high but it sold quite well. There is definitely a market out there for this IllumiRoom thing.

Forum Overseer
    Cool but not practical for someone like me with a 2 year old.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    Personally, every time I see this thing I wonder, what's the point? It might be amusing as stand alone ambient lighting or even for the tech demo aspects, but I can't see how it would improve gaming at all. It's unlikely any third party developers would support it, because it would almost have to come with a CPU/GPU overhead to calculate that expanded field of vision that would take away from what can be shown on the main screen. Worse, it would give you a relatively large area of low resolution graphics to track and a comparatively small region of high def graphics that would be useful. I imagine this would make games harder to play, not better.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    Mainstream will love it to hell. Cause itīs shiny and new and all that $#@!. But in the end i donīt see how games could useful benefit from it. To me it seems more distracting then helping. In the end you stare on your TV to see the action and not on the wall behind it. The only thing that would be cool if it adds some minor details so that the atmosphere become more intense. For example if u enter some big mouth and the whole room starts to breath so u think u r really in a giant wall or something crazy like that ^^

Banned

What I like about this is the expanded peripheral view that takes into account objects in your living room when projecting. Good for a wide field of view in games. I can see brilliant spell effects in RPGs using this for a bigger impact. Like a spell light show.

I see it doing decent if the price is right. No one (including Microsoft) expected the level of success of a $150 peripheral..... that is Kinect. So this could surprise as well.

I see IllumiRoom the same way I see trigger extensions for the PS3 controller...... not absolutely needed, but a nice little enhancement.

7. Likes Omar likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim

Been playing with the idea of getting a projector. For this I may have to.

Mainstream will love it to hell. Cause itīs shiny and new and all that $#@!. But in the end i donīt see how games could useful benefit from it. To me it seems more distracting then helping. In the end you stare on your TV to see the action and not on the wall behind it. The only thing that would be cool if it adds some minor details so that the atmosphere become more intense. For example if u enter some big mouth and the whole room starts to breath so u think u r really in a giant wall or something crazy like that ^^
    No they wont! Projectors are still rather niche so I doubt this will change anything, though it's probably what MS is hoping for down the line. This s still very much like the above example from Soldier 95B.
    Last edited by D3seeker; 05-04-2013 at 02:26.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    It looks awesome. Apart from the cost the implementation seems quite easy and could add to the immersion. I liked it as a map where important pickable items would appear off screen. Or even use it as a map to help navigating big open worlds.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Make this pr0n compatible please.

Tap-a-hoe

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

11. Likes MjW likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Its pretty cool, $#@!ing love the snow effect!

But, its just another thing I'd probably not buy...
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Thread Information