Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Quantic: PS4 like the PC of 2014 or 2015

The PlayStation 4 is like the PC of 2014 or 2015, Quantic Dream co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumiere has claimed.
    Speaking with GameSpot at the Tribeca Film Festival this weekend, the executive said the Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls studio is seeing a major difference over the PlayStation 3 during initial tests for its in-development PS4 game.

"We are already seeing in the first [PS4 tests] that we're doing a big difference," de Fondaumiere said.

He explained that the studio's goal with the new technology is, as it has always been, to capture the most realistic and authentic performance as possible. This will translate to believable characters in the end product, he said.

De Fondaumiere also revealed that the PS4 demo (below) Quantic Dream studio head David Cage showed off during the platform's announcement in February was just a "first glimpse" at what the technology is capable of rendering. The studio is working on an all-new engine for the PS4, he confirmed.

Though Quantic Dream's PS4 ambitions may be grand, de Fondaumiere admitted all technology--including Sony's next-gen platform--has limitations.

"There are limitations on the PlayStation 3 and there will be limitations on PlayStation 4," he said. "With the PlayStation 4, it's something that really is more like the PC of next year or two years."

Beyond: Two Souls launches October 8 exclusively for PS3.
    Quantic Dream's PS4 game will, according to Cage, retain the studio's emphasis on narrative, though further details have not been divulged. He described the game as "incredibly exciting; it's one of the strongest concepts we've had at Quantic Dream and we're really excited about it."

The game may include multiplayer, a first for Quantic Dream, as the studio is currently seeking an online programmer with a "strong understanding" of the multiplayer genre. An ideal candidate would also have a "very deep and high knowledge" of online gaming and network development.

Nextgen shall be interesting

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The PS4 will undoubtedly be a graphical beast.

Elite Guru
    I think he needs to upgrade his PC a bit more often if he thinks this. Ps4 is a beast but making the dumb move of comparing it to a PC is not a good idea.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I didnt see him say an high end pc at any point?? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by T0PGUN View Post
    Big talk with little context draws lots of attention on both sides. This is why I hate when developers say this kind of stuff.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by T0PGUN View Post
    That's not the title of this thread =s

He said

"With the PlayStation 4, it's something that really is more like the PC of next year or two years."

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Lies. The context implies powerful hardware of 2014/2015 when it is actually weaker than PCs of 2011. Intentionally obscure to trick and deceive. At least Sony showed live gameplay demos this time and not Killzone 2 CGI.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Does that mean it'd be a bad idea to watch bootleg movies on streaming websites?

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Master Sage
    There are 3 ways this can be interpreted-

1. PS4 is more powerful than PC (PC to catch up by 2014-2015)
    2. PS4 games are more powerful than PC games of today (PC to catch up by 2014-2015)
    3. The hardware inside the PS4 is not something you'll find in a PC. (PC to catch up by 2014-2015)

I'm leaning towards the 2 & 3 area

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post

2. PS4 games are more powerful than PC games of today (PC to catch up by 2014-2015)
    3. The hardware inside the PS4 is not something you'll find in a PC. (PC to catch up by 2014-2015)

4. Marketing

11. Likes Arimax likes this post
    Elite Member
    So what does the PS4 uses, "Supercharged C++++" and "DirectX 9000"?

If so Mother of god!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    4. Marketing
    I like the combination of 2 & 4.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSN ID
    PARTYBOY_1091
    well when talking about optimization i'd say he's somewhat correct

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    4. Marketing
    That's what i think too. PC is better now and will be always be. I know mine is.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    I don't have a high-end PC I will someday, but at this point after experiencing a few PC games compared to at least PS3 and 360 counterparts I'm going with PC most def. I kind of see the reason why people who really defend PC get up in arms over this stuff. lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    I don't have a high-end PC I will someday, but at this point after experiencing a few PC games compared to at least PS3 and 360 counterparts I'm going with PC most def. I kind of see the reason why people who really defend PC get up in arms over this stuff. lol
    I get what you're saying. BUt I don't see why they would need to. If consoles were cars, PCs would be the fastest (over consoles and that's like the driver of that car getting annoyed at someone saying that consoles are faster.

Don't need to get annoyed just prove it/know better.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    That's what i think too. PC is better now and will be always be. I know mine is.
    PC will always be more powerful it's just their games are 90% console leftovers.
    And the ones that are exclusive are usually low budget indie games.
    (Not that their isn't anything wrong with that).

If PC was really taken advantage of then mods like iCE Enhancer wouldn't be needed.

PS4 doesn't need to hold itself back as everyone who owns one can play whatever is offered on it. Hence my number 2 point.

Elite Guru

It's more No 4 - Ps4 isn't as powerful as a modern day PC. Don't get me wrong Ps4 is a powerful machine in the console space but when it comes to comparing it to PC's of today it's not all that hot. The CPU is a future laptop processor and the GPU at the moment can barely top high end current generation mobile GPU. This gap will be bigger than ever by the time Ps4 finally ships.

Yes an optimized closed system and that will always have benefits but that will only be a benefit for so long. The performance gap between these machines at a software level is closing as PC's have slowed the growth of the OS's footprint while consoles one are quickly catching up simply due to extra functionality.

We have already seen with the Unreal 4 demos that the gap is evident and it's only going to get bigger, this is expected as this is the smallest performance jump between generations we have seen in years.

It's isn't a bad thing, the games on Ps4 are going to be amazing and the experience they want to provide with the new OS concept in terms of instant functions is astounding. Comparing the Ps4 experience to a PC on features is a great idea and a real interesting battle, doing it on hardware capabilities however isn't so much fun this time around.

PC will always be more powerful it's just their games are 90% console leftovers.
    And the ones that are exclusive are usually low budget indie games.
    (Not that their isn't anything wrong with that).

If PC was really taken advantage of then mods like iCE Enhancer wouldn't be needed.

PS4 doesn't need to hold itself back as everyone who owns one can play whatever is offered on it. Hence my number 2 point.

This I can agree with 100%.
    Last edited by Jabjabs; 05-03-2013 at 00:49.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    This I can agree with 100%.
    Yes, i wasn't saying PS4 is more powerful. Just it has the ability to go 100% where as PC cannot.

That ability may give consoles a slight edge over PC's in the beginning but it is a mere illusion as PC has the power to overtake. But will it? According to Quantic it may not be til 2014 or 2015.

At least that is my interpretation.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 05-03-2013 at 01:11.

Elite Guru
    Yes, i wasn't saying PS4 is more powerful. Just it has the ability to go 100% where as PC cannot.

That ability may give consoles a slight edge over PC's in the beginning but it is a mere illusion as PC has the power to overtake. But will it? According to Quantic it may not be til 2014 or 2015.

At least that is my interpretation.
    Yeah Pc's never get 100% usage, a part of their down fall. Good at everything, Great at nothing.

I'm a bit skeptical of Quantic Dream in this regard as this mostly falls under the realm of marketing, being as close to Sony as they are just makes their intentions a little hazy.

Personally I want to see what John Carmack says about it in depth (not just a tweet here and there), he's very realistic when it comes to how these platforms are managed...

... I also forget that 2014 is only 7 months away.

Ultimate Veteran
    the ps4 is going to be killer with these specs

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I get what you're saying. BUt I don't see why they would need to. If consoles were cars, PCs would be the fastest (over consoles and that's like the driver of that car getting annoyed at someone saying that consoles are faster.

Don't need to get annoyed just prove it/know better.
    If you race cars (discussion how great graphics look), both consoles and PC brag about great theirs is compared to the rest. And when someone comes in and says my Wii (old Ford Metro) is just as fast as your cars, that's where the Mustang drivers $#@! their heads and go "eh? lol."

And I don't think it is all just bragging. When a PC game gets some nice visual additive that blows them away, people want to let others know how great it is compared to other platforms. I remember going a little crazy when I got Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD for the PS3. I could not help tell everyone else how much better it looked compared to the original PS2 version. It's more of just video game expression than bragging. And this is a forum for expressing and discussing your video game experiences after all. That's my two cents.
    Last edited by Foraeli; 05-03-2013 at 07:35.

24. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    It's more No 4 - Ps4 isn't as powerful as a modern day PC. Don't get me wrong Ps4 is a powerful machine in the console space but when it comes to comparing it to PC's of today it's not all that hot. The CPU is a future laptop processor and the GPU at the moment can barely top high end current generation mobile GPU. This gap will be bigger than ever by the time Ps4 finally ships.

Yes an optimized closed system and that will always have benefits but that will only be a benefit for so long. The performance gap between these machines at a software level is closing as PC's have slowed the growth of the OS's footprint while consoles one are quickly catching up simply due to extra functionality.
    You're forgetting that you're speaking about theoretical power. Power that won't be used that well due to two problems, 1) Market penetration, 2) Multiple configurations. Now, that's not to say that the PS4 is going to out-best the top PCs, just that it will be pretty damn close for a longer time than the PS3/360 were to the PC (which was probably not long or maybe not at all).

What we will see are certain exclusives that will still outshine the best looking PC games or be as good or be very very comparable. There are plenty of games on PS3 right now (exclusives) that go head-to-head with the best-looking PC games. That's only going to be more rampant. Last time, the RAM wasn't enough to begin with, PCs already had about 1GB by the time PS3/360 came out. Now it's going to be a longer while and with unified RAM, it's even more of an advantage.

We have already seen with the Unreal 4 demos that the gap is evident and it's only going to get bigger, this is expected as this is the smallest performance jump between generations we have seen in years.
    It's been confirmed that the UE4 demo was not optimized for the PS4, it was also not run with 8GB in mind but about 2GB. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it just yet. Not to mention, it's a third party engine and UE has never been the best example out there. We will see custom engines on PS4 and they will likely outshine PC engines as they did this generation.

It's isn't a bad thing, the games on Ps4 are going to be amazing and the experience they want to provide with the new OS concept in terms of instant functions is astounding. Comparing the Ps4 experience to a PC on features is a great idea and a real interesting battle, doing it on hardware capabilities however isn't so much fun this time around.
    We don't even have to talk about hardware capabilities. Let's just wait and see what I'm talking about.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    No need for PC gamers to get their panties in a bunch. The article is saying the PS4 is basically a beast of a console and can be compared to a gaming PC for the next few years, at a fraction of the price.

Naturally nobody with common sense would ever compare a home console with a PC that can be upgraded constantly. That is the reason why PC gaming will always be better, but it also comes with a price.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-04-2013 at 20:14.

Extreme Poster
    Sony developers aren't the only ones that have hinted towards this phenomenon but people don't want to face it.

Thread Information