Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Vgleaks: Durango: Sound of Tomorrow

www.vgleaks.com/durango-sound-of-tomorrow/
    The sample rate is at 48kz instead of the usual 44.1khz like current consoles, very interesting.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

2. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The PS3 can output that and higher with a compatible amp

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    The PS3 can output that and higher with a compatible amp

Sent via Codec
    I didn't realize that anything was being compared to the PS3. Can the PS3 do it without a compatible amp?

Back on topic after the first response took it off topic.

This is good to hear....errr.... read. It's nice to see that the next gen will bring more than better graphics.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I didn't realize that anything was being compared to the PS3. Can the PS3 do it without a compatible amp?

Back on topic after the first response took it off topic.

This is good to hear....errr.... read. It's nice to see that the next gen will bring more than better graphics.
    Its more speaker/amp dependent you can blow your speakers if they aren't capable and its not comparing to PS3, its the current gen consoles and
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    www.vgleaks.com/durango-sound-of-tomorrow/
    The sample rate is at 48kz instead of the usual 44.1khz like current consoles, very interesting.
    I was responding to that, which just happens does include the PS3 so its on topic
    its good news thou, better sound = better experience.

Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 05-01-2013 at 02:00.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Its more speaker dependent and its not comparing to PS3, its the current gen consoles and

I was responding to that, which just happens does include the PS3 so its on topic
    its good news thou, better sound = better experience.

Sent via Codec

I missed that part of the original post, so I have to agree that the OP did open this thread as a comparison to the Wii U, PS3, etc.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    SHAPE sounds impressive. For an audio engineer working on a game built to use it's capabilities to the fullest I'd imagine it'd be heaven. It's basically an entire mixing console on there. That said, it seems slightly overkill to me. I'd like to hear the results though
    @TGO & Lefein the ps3 can output 48khz but if you guys take the time to read the artile and look at the diagrams
    The ps3 audio is nowhere near to what they are doing on the next xbox

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Ancient
    SHAPE sounds impressive. For an audio engineer working on a game built to use it's capabilities to the fullest I'd imagine it'd be heaven. It's basically an entire mixing console on there. That said, it seems slightly overkill to me. I'd like to hear the results though
    @TGO & Lefein the ps3 can output 48khz but if you guys take the time to read the artile and look at the diagrams
    48khz is actually the lowest above 44khz which can be outputted through a standard setup You can go up and beyond (about 178khz) PCM 7.1
    But you do need the audio setup to handle the frequency
    I trust/expect both Nextgen consoles to have this

Sent via Codec

Dedicated Member
    I don't think it is the 48khz sampling rate which is the real news, but rather that there is such specially dedicated hardware for sound processing.
    Last edited by Sajuuk Khar; 05-01-2013 at 17:03.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    I don't think it is the 48khz sampling rate which is the real news, but rather that there is such specially dedicated hardware for sound processing.
    Indeed, the SPE's handle it all in PS3
    So having hardware just for that is good

Sent via Codec

Soldier 95B
    Indeed. It is a good read, and cool if true.

Elite Guru
    Interesting post by interference on B3D about the audio hardware

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...postcount=2964

The SHAPE audio block and processing cores are really quite powerful (it's probably the closest thing in the actual hardware to the silly 'special sauce' claims).

Theoretically, they can free the main CPU from processing audio entirely - which is quite a benefit given games can use as many as 3 of the 6 CPU threads on 360 for audio.

Nevermind it also handling Kinect MEC and voice recognition which previously consumed CPU time from the game as well (as bkilian said above).

The SHAPE audio block alone is more than 100GF (though it can't really be counted that way since it's not general purpose FLOPS). The alpha kits had an extra 8 CPU cores to emulate the sound block but even that wasn't enough processing power so they never implemented the emulation

That's also where some early rumours of Durango having a 16 core CPU came from.

I don't think the PS4 has similarly capable fixed function audio hardware, so this helps compensate for the extra CPU core that's reserved on Durango.
    Last edited by X2; 05-02-2013 at 09:25.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    No $#@!?!?!? You're comparing 7 YO hardware vs with rumored unreleased spec on shiny new hardware, I wonder why it's nowhere near?!?!?! Why don't you compare it to PS4 OFFICIAL dedicated units instead? Let's talk about all the PS4 improvements over the much older 360 see how the later fares!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    That is the big news. MS and SONY seem to be dedicating specific hardware components for specific tasks to move them away from CPU/GPU. Very smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Interesting post by interference on B3D about the audio hardware
    Perhaps but lost credibility right here "I don't think the PS4 has similarly capable fixed function audio hardware" In a recent interview speaking about the PS4 hardware, Cerny was very clear on the dedicated units in the PS4 and that included a audio dedicated unit.

Freeing Up Resources: The PS4's Dedicated Units

Another thing the PlayStation 4 team did to increase the flexibility of the console is to put many of its basic functions on dedicated units on the board -- that way, you don't have to allocate resources to handling these things.

"The reason we use dedicated units is it means the overhead as far as games are concerned is very low," said Cerny. "It also establishes a baseline that we can use in our user experience."

"For example, by having the hardware dedicated unit for audio, that means we can support audio chat without the games needing to dedicate any significant resources to them. The same thing for compression and decompression of video." The audio unit also handles decompression of "a very large number" of MP3 streams for in-game audio, Cerny added.
    Last edited by snooper71; 05-03-2013 at 10:03.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

14. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So in future will we see more hardware accelerated audio games on PC? Right now there has been little in the way of audio progression in terms of hardware with MS killing off DS3D for Vista and later OS causing problems of audio effects not working since they relied on it.

Thread Information