Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Nintendo plots Wii U resurgence with 3D Mario by October

Nintendo is internally lining up a string of high profile releases for the second half of 2013 as part of a major new bid to recover from Wii U's stuttering start.

Internal discussions have helped restore retailers' faith in the console, which has been hit by errors since launch. Global Wii U sales have fallen two million units short of Nintendo's original forecast.

The firm's current focus on 3DS, coupled with the relatively hushed PR and promotional campaign for the Wii U in the first half of 2013, had left some retailers questioning the platform holder's commitment to its new console.

However, one person close to the matter has said Nintendo's executive circle was not comfortable fully promoting Wii U until the release of the system's spring update. In January, Nintendo said two updates would arrive before the summer is over.

The first update, which launched in April (details), appears to have halved waiting times on various system loading screens.

The underpinning theory is that word-of-mouth discussion about Wii U has not been particularly positive so far, with many users complaining about system performance. However, it is hoped that the recent firmware patch (along with an apparent second one releasing this summer) will improve the user experience and help stimulate positive responses.

Now with many of the Wii U's launch issues behind it, CVG understands Nintendo is preparing a significant global Wii U marketing campaign.

Further to this, it was claimed by one source that Nintendo is intentionally holding back the release of some games - from Pikmin 3 to The Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U - in order to bolster the second-half release list. However, a second source familiar with Nintendo's plans had denied the company is intentionally delaying game releases.

In April, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said the corporation initially intended to release "a few" Wii U games in the first half of 2013, but they were delayed because the company underestimated the development resources required to complete them on time.

A number of blockbuster Wii U games will be released from summer until the end of the year, one of which is a new 3D Mario title. Although CVG is not yet able to confirm what the others will be, a new Mario Kart will debut in playable form at E3.

The marketing campaign will commence at the Los Angeles event (although some claim sooner), where the 3D Mario game will also be playable on the show floor. The title will be released before October, pending development delays.

Shelly Pearce, the PR director at Nintendo UK, told CVG: "From July onwards we will launch a succession of Wii U titles and we will promote these extensively until the end of the year. Marketing activity will include TV, print, online and PR as well as comprehensive experiential and social media campaigns".

She added: "We have a strong line up planned for Wii U in the second half of 2013 including the likes of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U.

"We are looking forward to launching these in the UK and for the opportunity to showcase the full potential of Wii U."
    via CVG.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    If true, that would be awesome! Was not expecting Mario Wii U to launch so soon, but if it's ready, I'm ready!
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Its a good thing this happened to them, might stop them being as ****y after the Wii's success.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Hopefully this generates some momentum because God knows they need it bad. Like Ray said, it's surprising that it's coming so soon especially since I've heard little to nothing about it. Hopefully it's not something rushed just because of the low sales numbers, but then again they did take their sweet time with Pikmin 3.

5. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    A 3D Mario in October would be fantastic! This first year is a bust for the console, but some late 1st part additions could really help gain some sort of momentum for the next year.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Bring it on!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Super Elite

Out of the games they listed, the only system seller is Mario.

Superior Member
    What happened to Nintendo? I loved the N64 and enjoyed the Gamecube but the Wii and WiiU are just bad consoles. The Mario and Zelda games cannot carry Nintendo any longer. They really need to step back and rethink what they're doing. I guess you can say that Nintendo started the next gen but no one seems to have noticed.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    What happened to Nintendo? I loved the N64 and enjoyed the Gamecube but the Wii and WiiU are just bad consoles. The Mario and Zelda games cannot carry Nintendo any longer. They really need to step back and rethink what they're doing. I guess you can say that Nintendo started the next gen but no one seems to have noticed.
    That Zelda game probably isn't even coming out this year. Nintendo has a long habit of lying to its consumers about release dates. I remember games on the N64 that were years late and/or vaporware (earthbound 64 cones to mind). To make matters worse, a remake of Zelda isn't really going to push a lot of sales. I do t think there's any debate that pikmin 3 is not a system seller nor is W101 which is a new IP.

TLDR: even if all this comes out (and it won't), it won't push many console sales.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    This can BOOST sales idk about it turning things around 180 but at the very least this is a step in the right direction

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    If they were to release a good 3d Mario game on the Wii U, I'd buy the system for that game alone!! Can't wait.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I hope but doubt it's up there with SM64. I'd buy a SM64 1080p60fps remake too.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If they were to release a good 3d Mario game on the Wii U, I'd buy the system for that game alone!! Can't wait.
    Do you still have your Wii U or did you get rid of it?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Superior Member
    It will sell because it's Mario not because of the 3D gimmick. 2012 was supposed to be a big year for 3D with the 3D movies, 3D blu-rays players, and 3D tvs selling in all the stores. Now go to Walmart and none of the new tvs that they just refreshed in March and April are 3D; at least not in the stores. They are all Full HD LED Smart TV's. Then you look at CES 2013 in January I don't recall anyone announcing a 3D tv, it's all about the 4k. I don't recall any of the movies released this year to be 3D either.

I typed all that to say: I hope the Mario game is amazing in it's own right and that they don't take it easy on the game allowing for the crutch called 3D to be the big marketing point of the game. I hope I'm completely wrong because I like Nintendo and love me some Mario.
    Last edited by TrUe GaMeR; 05-06-2013 at 02:31.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

New 3D Mario Game Will Arrive on Wii U in October - Report

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-3...t-351002.shtml
    I still think the wii u has something to WOW us with.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-3...t-351002.shtml
    I still think the wii u has something to WOW us with.
    Merged with this thread

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by TrUe GaMeR View Post
    It will sell because it's Mario not because of the 3D gimmick. 2012 was supposed to be a big year for 3D with the 3D movies, 3D blu-rays players, and 3D tvs selling in all the stores. Now go to Walmart and none of the new tvs that they just refreshed in March and April are 3D; at least not in the stores. They are all Full HD LED Smart TV's. Then you look at CES 2013 in January I don't recall anyone announcing a 3D tv, it's all about the 4k. I don't recall any of the movies released this year to be 3D either.

I typed all that to say: I hope the Mario game is amazing in it's own right and that they don't take it easy on the game allowing for the crutch called 3D to be the big marketing point of the game. I hope I'm completely wrong because I like Nintendo and love me some Mario.
    They're talking about a 3D Mario ala SM64, SMS, SMG/2, not a 3D 3D Mario lol, unless I missed something

TBH though I dunno why Nintendo aren't making 3D games since the tech is there unless there's something stopping them.

I don't care either way, SMG/2 looked amazing IMO I can't wait to see what they can do with the Wii U in terms of graphics and hopefully they make 2 3D Mario' again this gen.

yay, next gen!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Do you still have your Wii U or did you get rid of it?
    I still have it. I was kinda making a scenario I guess. If I didn't have one already, and that game came out, I'd buy the system on that alone lol.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post

The Wii U is a good console that is lacking games. The Wii was a **** console with **** games.

It needs more than a new 3D Mario game though. It needs a full 1st party lineup.

Mario 3D
    Mario Party
    Mario Kart
    Metroid
    Zelda

Nintendo also started going downhill when Microsoft bought Rare. Rare was Nintendo's shining star.

21. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    ***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Meh. Never been a fan of, Mario games. Just pump those JRPG's out and I will be interested.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Meh. Never been a fan of, Mario games. Just pump those JRPG's out and I will be interested.
    That's another thing I'm waiting for
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Regarding JRPGs, I liked the Golden Sun trilogy and Dragon Quest (played I-II, III, VIII and IX). It would be cool to see a sequel to a series like F-Zero though, which hasn't seen a home console release in nearly a decade.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Master Guru
    The Wii U is going to fly off the shelves once Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are released.

Right now, i can't blame anyone for not buying the Wii U. Even though i think it's worth it with the few games it does have at the moment, not everyone does.

26. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    The Wii U is going to fly off the shelves once Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are released.

Right now, i can't blame anyone for not buying the Wii U. Even though i think it's worth it with the few games it does have at the moment, not everyone does.
    The only thing I have been buying for my Wii U, are the damn virtual console games.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Idk about flying off the shelf but it will move hardware and will a step in the right direction for Wii U.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information