Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    20
    Posts
    8,311
    Rep Power
    82
    Points
    30,167 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

    13 year old kills mother after rape attempt for taking COD away

    I chunk of me just died inside

    Source
    A 14 year old Osage, Iowa boy is on trial for shooting and killing his mother, Gretchen Crooks, last March. The jury in the case recently heard the 911 call where Noah Crooks described to a dispatcher how he shot his mother after she took away his copy of Call of Duty saying, “Something just came over me.”

    The jury also heard how the 14 year old attempted to rape his 37 year old mother but couldn’t do it saying, “I feel crazy and I know I’m not. I think I have some form of ADD…I tried to rape her. I tried to rape her but I couldn’t do it…Who tries to rape their own mom? My life is down the drain now.”

    When police arrived on the scene, Gretchen Crooks’ body was found stretched out on a couch with her pajama top undone and was naked from the waist down. Deputies seized the murder weapon, a .22 caliber rifle which was given to the boy by his mother when he was 11 years old.

    Noah Crooks’ attorney is not denying that his client killed his mother, but claims the boy suffered what he referred to as a “tumor of rage” which essentially rendered him insane at the time of the killing. In his address to the jury, the defense also said that a child psychiatrist will testify Crooks suffers from ‘intermittent explosive disorder’ – a mental illness marked by repeated episodes of impulsive, aggressive or violent behavior.

    After the shooting the boy texted his Father, William Crooks, saying, “‘Dad this is Noah. I killed Mom accidentally, I regret it. Come home now please.” The Father of the boy dismissed the text as a joke, only to find out 20 minutes later from the sheriff’s deputy that the slaying had indeed occurred. During his testimony, the father said that his son did once say that he wanted to kill his mother, but he didn’t take the threat seriously and there is no history of domestic abuse or criminal records associated with any of the Crooks family members.

    Apparently, the father’s Facebook page shows his interest in the US Concealed Carry association as well as the Springfield Armory, a company that sells pistols and rifles.

    Residents in the rural town of 3,622 people have been rocked by the slaying, the first since 1898.
    f*ckin sh*t man....I cant think right now

    EDIT: I wish someone can erase this from my mind
    Last edited by Itachi; 05-04-2013 at 22:14.

  2. #2
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,224
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,785 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    An example of why greater urgency should be used when keeping 18+ games out of the hands of children. They don't grasp the severity of murder, and all the stuff done in M rated video games.

    The world is truly a terrible place.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  3. Likes Fijiandoce, The Black Wolf likes this post
  4. #3
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    That poor boy is going to need some help. I know he killed his mother, but there's something wrong with him. His mother probably loved him and if she were alive, she would want her son to get the help he needs.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  5. #4
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7,872
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    13,359 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    An example of why greater urgency should be used when keeping 18+ games out of the hands of children. They don't grasp the severity of murder, and all the stuff done in M rated video games.

    The world is truly a terrible place.
    Yes and another example of parents not giving a crap about thier kids and letting a mental illness go untreated.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  6. Likes MartyRules, Fon likes this post
  7. #5
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    /runs out and buys son an extra copy of COD:BLOPS Dos.

    Yeah, definitely something hitting that kid in the head wrong. I am going to assume all the signs were there for years, and the parent(s) didn't give a care in the world about it.




  8. #6
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,224
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,785 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    /runs out and buys son an extra copy of COD:BLOPS Dos.

    Yeah, definitely something hitting that kid in the head wrong. I am going to assume all the signs were there for years, and the parent(s) didn't give a care in the world about it.


    With proper parenting, and understanding, some under age kids can play Mature games. Some can, some can't.

    I've played mature rated games since I was a kid. Nothing crazy, just violence stuff, and I have a firm understanding of reality. But I sure as hell wouldn't let my kid play a mature game if he shows signs of getting to a point where he might do something crazy.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  9. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
  10. #7
    Master Sage
    HellsJester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Yharnam
    Posts
    13,170
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    33,704 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Mother buys kid a rifle at 11 years old and lets him play CoD.
    Both things are not intended for children. At that age you have no idea if your kid is crazy so exposing them to these things is not a good idea. You need to make sure your kid is mature and mentally ready to handle these types of things.




  11. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
  12. #8
    Member
    D3RM1AN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Jolly ol' London
    PSN ID
    D3RM1AN
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    10
    Points
    1,475 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    An example of why greater urgency should be used when keeping 18+ games out of the hands of children. They don't grasp the severity of murder, and all the stuff done in M rated video games.

    The world is truly a terrible place.
    I feel as if it was the parents fault for allowing the child to have such a game in the first place. I know I sound like a bit of a heartless $#@! right now for saying that but I agree with the fact that more urgency must be taken towards game and the age ratings - it's there for a reason and parents need to see that.

    Sadly, this sort of stuff happens.

  13. #9
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,745
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    142,814 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post


    With proper parenting, and understanding, some under age kids can play Mature games. Some can, some can't.

    I've played mature rated games since I was a kid. Nothing crazy, just violence stuff, and I have a firm understanding of reality. But I sure as hell wouldn't let my kid play a mature game if he shows signs of getting to a point where he might do something crazy.
    Not to mention giving him easy access to the gun...the parents should of had the gun/ammo locked up and away from him since he is underage.


    PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

  14. #10
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post


    With proper parenting, and understanding, some under age kids can play Mature games. Some can, some can't.

    I've played mature rated games since I was a kid. Nothing crazy, just violence stuff, and I have a firm understanding of reality. But I sure as hell wouldn't let my kid play a mature game if he shows signs of getting to a point where he might do something crazy.
    I agree. There had to be some signs, somewhere, that he wasn't "right" in the noodle. It comes down to lack of interest from the parents. I mean, if my kids even frown about something, we talk about it. We discuss, very openly, things that go on in their lives that us as parents, don't get to be around. i.e. school issues, etc. where we aren't there 24/7 while things happen, etc.

    I ask them every single day, "how was school? What new things are you learning? Even if they don't want to tell us about any negative things, their demeanor is changed when something "not good" has happened. So when they tell me about the good things, I can tell in several ways that something didn't go well, so I explore that.

    I've met some parents that just don't give a $#@! what their kids are doing. One lady, three kids, they were breaking into homes in their neighborhood and bringing stuff back home. They took a 55" tv, 360, tons of games, etc., and the mother told us, "I never thought about where it came from..." during an interview. It gets worse...

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Mother buys kid a rifle at 11 years old and lets him play CoD.
    Both things are not intended for children. At that age you have no idea if your kid is crazy so exposing them to these things is not a good idea. You need to make sure your kid is mature and mentally ready to handle these types of things.
    Disagree to an extent. I don't let my daughters play COD games, but they do play Halo games. They are 12 now, but have been playing the Halo series for eight years now. Both "brands" are Mature rated (17+) but bring different aspects into nearly the same type of gameplay.

    Dealing with whether your kid is crazy is more about interaction with them, not their age. This kid could have been displaying triggers for a mental problem for years.




  15. Likes Morganator, Omar likes this post
  16. #11
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,224
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,785 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I agree. There had to be some signs, somewhere, that he wasn't "right" in the noodle. It comes down to lack of interest from the parents. I mean, if my kids even frown about something, we talk about it. We discuss, very openly, things that go on in their lives that us as parents, don't get to be around. i.e. school issues, etc. where we aren't there 24/7 while things happen, etc.

    I ask them every single day, "how was school? What new things are you learning? Even if they don't want to tell us about any negative things, their demeanor is changed when something "not good" has happened. So when they tell me about the good things, I can tell in several ways that something didn't go well, so I explore that.

    I've met some parents that just don't give a $#@! what their kids are doing. One lady, three kids, they were breaking into homes in their neighborhood and bringing stuff back home. They took a 55" tv, 360, tons of games, etc., and the mother told us, "I never thought about where it came from..." during an interview. It gets worse...
    Yes. Exactly.

    While I don't speak for every possible case. But a parent should be able to detect emotional shifts in their child as you mention.

    And Halo was one of the first mature rated games I ever played too. I to this day don't understand the mature rating on the first game. The graphics barely even detail that there is violence. lmao
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  17. #12
    Master Sage
    HellsJester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Yharnam
    Posts
    13,170
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    33,704 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post

    Disagree to an extent. I don't let my daughters play COD games, but they do play Halo games. They are 12 now, but have been playing the Halo series for eight years now. Both "brands" are Mature rated (17+) but bring different aspects into nearly the same type of gameplay.

    Dealing with whether your kid is crazy is more about interaction with them, not their age. This kid could have been displaying triggers for a mental problem for years.
    Like you said you interact with them until you know they are mentally ready for what they are exposed to. I said the same thing but in a different way. I mentioned age because some parents dont notice or even care to see the triggers as you say at that age. so we are on the same page here.




  18. Likes F34R likes this post
  19. #13
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11,588
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    18,978 (1,000 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I dont believe for a second it had anything to do with the game, the kid just had an undiagnosed mental problem.
    Though im basing that off my own experience, Ive played M rated games since I was 11/12 and I never wanted to go around killing people.

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

    PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4


    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  20. #14
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7,872
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    13,359 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    After the shooting the boy texted his Father, William Crooks, saying, “‘Dad this is Noah. I killed Mom accidentally, I regret it. Come home now please.” The Father of the boy dismissed the text as a joke,
    That alone tells you how unfit the parents where and how little they cared. That is never something a kid should ever joke about and for the parent to treat it as such they should not be parents.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  21. #15
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    20
    Posts
    8,311
    Rep Power
    82
    Points
    30,167 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    All variables aside, I can't help but feel there is something about media that has made us all so desensitized about death/violence (broad strokes I know). Children are especially very easily 'molded' into this way of thinking

  22. #16
    Master Guru
    THUGGEDOUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Jamming to Lamb of God with Pinhead...
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Posts
    7,121
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    145,281 (905,285 Banked)
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    His life isn't worth living anymore after what he did, no need to waste tax payers money on therapy, food or a jail cell, one bullet for him will do.


    "When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."




  23. #17
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7,872
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    13,359 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    All variables aside, I can't help but feel there is something about media that has made us all so desensitized about death/violence (broad strokes I know). Children are especially very easily 'molded' into this way of thinking
    I disagree with that. The media has been the same over past 20 years exposing violence and such to get ratings and many people who grew up with that, and especially us gamers that grew up before ESRB where our parents where really neglectful of the violence in games such as Mortal Kombat and GTA, turned out just fine. Parents have changed and from what I can tell in my studies becoming a teacher most do not seem to care and find thier child a bother so they pack their room up with stuff and ignore them.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  24. #18
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,291
    Rep Power
    106
    Points
    47,126 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I didn't see anything Bout cod in that article..... Sensationalist headline...

    And wow... What a psycho, if he's thinking about raping his own mother he should be institutionalised. There is something very deep going on here that has nothing to do with the worlds most popular game


    Via Tapatalk

  25. #19
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Like you said you interact with them until you know they are mentally ready for what they are exposed to. I said the same thing but in a different way. I mentioned age because some parents dont notice or even care to see the triggers as you say at that age. so we are on the same page here.
    After reading that part, I thought about it a little more, and I agree with ya. My younger kids don't need to be exposed to gleefully killing other humans in a game. They however, are fine shooting aliens in a game that doesn't necessarily depict real world scenarios. So yeah, I got what you mean in that respect, and agree with it. Good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    All variables aside, I can't help but feel there is something about media that has made us all so desensitized about death/violence (broad strokes I know). Children are especially very easily 'molded' into this way of thinking
    They are easily molded. Definitely. That's why it's our responsibility as parents to mold them, and not allow games and media, tv, etc., mold them instead.




  26. Likes HellsJester likes this post
  27. #20
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    /runs out and buys son an extra copy of COD:BLOPS Dos.

    Yeah, definitely something hitting that kid in the head wrong. I am going to assume all the signs were there for years, and the parent(s) didn't give a care in the world about it.
    They gave him a gun, which means he probably wanted one, that's how much they cared for his well being.

    My son has played shooters for years, all of them either Star Wars of Halo, he graduated to Black Ops 2 months ago (nearly 14), and prefers shoot the zombies than play multiplayer.

    That, I am fine with.
    Last edited by mynd; 05-05-2013 at 00:26.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  28. #21
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They gave him a gun, that's how much they cared for his well being.
    My son has a shotgun, and a crossbow....




  29. #22
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,224
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,785 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    My son has a shotgun, and a crossbow....
    I had a .22 rifle when I was young. I learned how to clean it, and use it properly by quite a young age.

    Lucky with the crossbow though. lol
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  30. #23
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    My son has a shotgun, and a crossbow....
    Most rural kids I knew had slug guns and I learned to shoot my uncles Rugar at 11. There is, much like owning a pet, a certain degree of care involved in ownership. Having read that the father largely divorced himself of the gun ownership by saying the wife bought the gun for the son, says quite a bit. The level of care clearly was not there from both parents.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  31. #24
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    I had a .22 rifle when I was young. I learned how to clean it, and use it properly by quite a young age.

    Lucky with the crossbow though. lol
    The girls are allowed to use the .22 rifle I have. It's an older model, with 14 rounds going in from the stock ~ semi-auto of course. It doesn't have recoil, mostly not loud, and light.. they like it to a degree. They are still getting used to shooting a gun. In Halo, it's awesome. In real life, it's quite a bit more aggressive and an adrenaline dump.

    I'll try and get some footage of them shooting....

    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Most rural kids I knew had slug guns and I learned to shoot my uncles Rugar at 11. There is, much like owning a pet, a certain degree of care involved in ownership. Having read that the father largely divorced himself of the gun ownership by saying the wife bought the gun for the son, says quite a bit. The level of care clearly was not there from both parents.
    I agree 100%. Doesn't seem like a "picture perfect" scenario going on there...




  32. #25
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Indeed, guns aren't inherently evil, they don't poses a child's soul, a parent cultivates a child's soul.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.