Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

Digital Foundry: Retail Disc vs Digital Version

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I would buy more games digitally if they got more realistic with their prices. They still want $60 for MS Apocolypse for example. And awhile back I got ME2 with all the DLC for $15 retail while PSN charges $34 for it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Yeah they better start competing with steam prices (though ps+ prices are sometimes really good during sales)

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I don't care about slight performance issues, I'll be buying everything physically on the PS4

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Can't read these articles on this machine - is this to do with pricing?

If so, then yeah, digital titles on consoles either need to have lower price points in general, or have WAAAY more frequent discounts/sales like Steam does.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Can't read these articles on this machine - is this to do with pricing?

If so, then yeah, digital titles on consoles either need to have lower price points in general, or have WAAAY more frequent discounts/sales like Steam does.
    Its to do with reading games off the disk vs reading off the HDD, worth a look but not persuasive enough to prevent anyone from buying physical games

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Its to do with reading games off the disk vs reading off the HDD, worth a look but not persuasive enough to prevent anyone from buying physical games
    *swing and a miss!*

Hmm - interesting. For me it's a convenience issue. But yeah; it's not like I've gone exclusively on digital downloads. But it's great having games ust on the HDD if you can.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    I have only 6 games digital compared to 27 physical and like DF shows the differences are very miniscule (i.e not worth giving up physical copies to me)

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Best off just using a decent 7200 rpm drive since it seems the SATA controller is pretty much maxed out.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-07-2013 at 16:21.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Digital FTW, it's the future so might as well jump onboard now.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Supreme Veteran
    Ohh I know.

I noticed when copying files from USB or over a network Every 20th file takes at est 4 times as long to copy than the previous 19 regardless of its size.

Try it with a USB stick with 100pictures and copy to your PS3.

So if that same behaviour exists when installing games, it will slow the process down by tens of minutes if there are many thousands of files to copy over.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-07-2013 at 16:27.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    PS3s USB 2.0 is slow as hell, when I had the 60GB and sent stuff to the card readers it would be at least twice as fast.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    PS3s USB 2.0 is slow as hell, when I had the 60GB and sent stuff to the card readers it would be at least twice as fast.
    Doesn't matter, same problem happens when copying over a network.

Master Guru
    Retail discs for life. I'm sorry but for me, holding a physical copy of a game is a part of gaming itself. It's just the way it is.

Nevermind all the other advantages to having a hard copy of a game.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I used to hate digital purchases, but I've grown a little more fond of them. I'm mostly getting steam downloads, but I've had a few games on handhelds and consoles too. I wouldn't want it all the time, but I'm not totally against it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I used to hate digital purchases, but I've grown a little more fond of them. I'm mostly getting steam downloads, but I've had a few games on handhelds and consoles too. I wouldn't want it all the time, but I'm not totally against it.
    same. Have quite a bit of steam backlog and I do purchase digital psn versions if I find that convenient but now I only have 60ish GB left and I don't wanna upgrade my HDD so I'm trying to buy all retail

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    I'll be honest...I used to only want retail discs but the convenience of having them all on the console for easy access has pushed me towards going with digital for this next cycle. I'm planning to buy all my games digitally going forward. I can see both cases and honestly, I don't notice performance issues either way. This is strictly a matter of convenience. Games nowadays have absolutely nothing to provide the gamer other than a disc. Hell, if i want I'll buy a bunch of dvd boxes, print out custom covers and throw them on the shelf. It's the exact same thing as what you have now...but without having to switch.

I will be more careful though with what I buy if it's not on sale though. With digital you're losing out on the opportunity to sell your used game...which i did quite often.

Thread Information