Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Maybe the 'Always On" thing can finally be put to rest

First, I can't believe that no one has posted this yet. Must be because it's positive news.

Second, I call this a MS "leak" so that everyone will STFU about it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ternet-doesnt/

Should single-player games, Blu-ray playback, and live TV viewing be possible on a gaming console with no Internet connection? Most gamers would say "yes," but they have been worried that Microsoft feels differently; the next generation Xbox has been consistently rumored to require a permanent network connection.

It won't.

According to an internal Microsoft e-mail sent to all full-time employees working on the next Xbox, "Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet." It continues, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

The quotation also implicitly confirms another rumor: the next Xbox will sport an HDMI input, to allow cable boxes to be hooked up for live TV viewing. Our sources tell us that the console will be able to provide TV listings and similar information.

How far this offline support will extend still isn't clear. It could take the form of a fully offline mode akin to that on the Xbox 360 (insert optical disc, install game, play, all without an Internet connection) or it could be more like Steam (install and activate online but enable subsequent offline play once this has been done).

While one could argue that "installing a game" is one of the "scenarios" that gamers "expect to work" when offline, a more Steam-like approach would be consistent with rumors that the next Xbox will use its Internet connection to block installation of secondhand games.

Still, though the next Xbox won't make everybody happy, it looks like fears that the console will be useless when your broadband goes down have been overblown.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yep I read this over on TXB. I didnt think MS would be dumb enough to actually do that. It made no sense.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yep I read this over on TXB. I didnt think MS would be dumb enough to actually do that. It made no sense.
    I agree, although I was a bit concerned about it at first. Then, after thinking about it at length, I realized that they weren't that dumb.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    XBOX win confirmed. Suck it gents!

Seriously though they should've probably just "leaked" this email earlier.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Like it was ever going to happen, still ya gotta give people credit for being able to get their knickers twisted over nothing.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Supreme Veteran

It was just P.R on MS behalf, be it them selling the fake rumor of being online all the time or some lonely guy with attention issue's making it all up for us to pat him on the back for breaking this earth shattering news

It is all we hope all over and never brought up again

Super Elite

A lot of people, myself included, are reading between the lines that they were planning the always on required for single player and the Orth debacle opened their eyes to the outrage. Why else do you send an email out like this to all your employees? "Oh hey guys? You know that stuff you've been working on? Well it's going to be the same as it's been for the last few years. No changes. That is all." Then the fact that they sent it to all their Xbox employees indicates that they WANTED this to leak.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    A lot of people, myself included, are reading between the lines that they were planning the always on required for single player and the Orth debacle opened their eyes to the outrage. Why else do you send an email out like this to all your employees? "Oh hey guys? You know that stuff you've been working on? Well it's going to be the same as it's been for the last few years. No changes. That is all." Then the fact that they sent it to all their Xbox employees indicates that they WANTED this to leak.
    Hmm...thats definitely possible as well.

Soldier 95B
    Black helicopters

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Black helicopters
    lol

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    A lot of people would look at this way, the same way they look at every thing MS does as negative.
    As I said previously, people will always feel they now "know" some hidden story, and view it negatively.
    Reality is, we dont know anything.

Just like if this console comes out with something other than VGleaks specs it will all be "Sony made them change it at the last minute!!"

Yup, that's what happened, sure....
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    A lot of people would look at this way, the same way they look at every thing MS does as negative.
    As I said previously, people will always feel they now "know" some hidden story, and view it negatively.

Just like if this console comes out with something other than VGleaks specs it will all be "Sony made them change it at the last minute!!"

Since Sony announced first, no matter what MS comes out with some here will say they copied or changed because of Sony.

It's a no win proposition.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Super Elite

That's what I think happened but the truth is, it doesn't matter. It's NOT going to require always on for single player games so whether the outrage caused this or if it really was like the all along is kind of irrelevant. It's good for gamers.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 05-07-2013 at 00:00.

Super Elite

On an unrelated note, I'm going to send my coworker an email telling him that I'm going to continue to work with him given the current realities of my need for money. That is all.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Black helicopters
    Maybe Sony started the rumors. Heh heh. (joking). http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David...itious_writer)

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Like it was ever going to happen, still ya gotta give people credit for being able to get their knickers twisted over nothing.
    Well hindsight is excellent isn't it.

It's only "nothing" until now (or at least officially nothing until the 21st). But they were twisted for very valid reasons. It was just the details of which weren't particularly clear.

I don't know why that would be something that would be frowned upon (people getting upset over something that could potentially ruin things for most non-blind/loyal gamers).

17. Likes D3seeker wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite

It's interesting that they inadvertently (?) confirmed the tv connection in the email.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Sorry, but rumours on top of rumours. Nothing is known yet.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Sorry, but rumours on top of rumours. Nothing is known yet.
    No wai this is a positive rumor so it must be true!!
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    First, I can't believe that no one has posted this yet. Must be because it's positive news.

Second, I call this a MS "leak" so that everyone will STFU about it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ternet-doesnt/
    You're a little touchy. The news was posted on May 6 2013, 10:58am EDT. You should have at least waited a day before saying that. This is good news, I didn't think Microsoft would require you to be connected.

I don't think people being upset had anything to do with the fact that it was Microsoft. People aren't going to be excited to hear that Microsoft or any company that creates software maybe thinking about implementing an online requirement for single-player games.

People expressed negativity towards Blizzard and EA when they implemented an online requirement for games that have had single-player offline in the past.

Take it for what it is, don't make it more than what it needs to be. No one wants internet to be required for single-player games.
    Last edited by sainraja; 05-07-2013 at 02:43.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    You're a little touchy. The news was posted on May 6 2013, 10:58am EDT. You should have at least waited a day before saying that. This is good news, I didn't think Microsoft would require you to be connected.

I don't think people being upset had anything to do with the fact that it was Microsoft. People aren't going to be excited to hear that Microsoft or any company that creates software maybe thinking about implementing an online requirement for single-player games.

People expressed negativity towards Blizzard and EA when they implemented an online requirement for games that have had single-player offline in the past.

Take it for what it is, don't make it more than what it needs to be. No one wants internet to be required for single-player games.
    No problems with people being rightfully upset if this was to happen, but the suggestion's that MS "backed down" is dumb. You cant back down from something you never climbed in the first place.

Forum Sage
    No problems with people being rightfully upset if this was to happen, but the suggestion's that MS "backed down" is dumb. You cant back down from something you never climbed in the first place.
    Aren't you assuming that? It's all been speculation either way (whether it was being considered or not.) I see what you're getting at though...
    Last edited by sainraja; 05-07-2013 at 03:15.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I agree with this. All I was saying is that people getting upset at the possibility of it isn't something that's surprising (rather, the opposite).

But yeah, they could've used more leaks like this in the beginning.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Aren't you assuming that? It's all been speculation either way (whether it was being considered or not.) I see what you're getting at though...
    Well you could assume a lot of things, but we don't "know" anything.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Lol. They saved themselves. I still find it silly though. Sony and Microsoft alike having their big guns spouting how the were pursuing method to do such. They didnt really think it would be met with open arms did they? Especially considering how drm and always on is already frowned upon in pc gaming. Laughable lot they are. Though you can't write 'em completely off for trying i guess. Filing patents and what not they are getting closer to doing something drm related. Maybe next gen they'll have something in place and anounced, then have to take it out at the last second due to opposition.

Sent from the Warlock

Thread Information