Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Would your really care?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 68.33%
  • No

19 31.67%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It's terrible. Why would anyone be comfortable with the potential to be locked from their games? It must only be console owners here supporting or being acceptable of this kind of DRM, because clearly they haven't seen its effects on the PC. Too many times I've been booted or incapable of playing my games because of this $#@!, and I would have to go out of my way to crack a game I bought. This wouldn't even be possible on the consoles, so it's far worse.

And this is meant to be some honest justification? It's not.

Bring on unnecessary restrictions? Why? This doesn't benefit you at all, and only serves as a possible detriment.

No need to argue anyone's opinions. This thread is really just to see who really cares about it, and vote. I already said it would not bother me as I will ALWAYS have an internet connection.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-07-2013 at 13:50.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster
    Wouldn't a console be cheaper and "Easy and Simple" as you say without a bunch of non-game features and hardware added to it that gives it MORE things that could go wrong with it? With all that stuff added....."So many things could go wrong" as you say. Why not just have it play games instead of this movie playback, web browser, social media/gaming, etc etc stuff?
    All of these features add to the experience and can be beneficial, always on accomplishes nothing for the user. Also considering there's 40 million Live users compared 80 million consoles, that's a big loss. It certainly would force some of them to go online, but that doesn't exactly justify it for me.

I was happy with the 360 this generation, but I'd skip the next one with this feature. 1 console is fine.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Sage

Well... I my internet is pretty much always up but I still don't want always on. As it's been mentioned Assassins Creed 2 had it on PC and i never really saw it as a problem until my connection dropped out as there was work going on in the area any my game kicked me out because it couldn't contact the server.

Even services like Steam suck when it comes to offline mode - If you don't know you'll be going offline you can't always play your games. Ridiculous.

So while even though my devices are usually always connected to my internet and my internet is always stable I can't think of a single reason why any consumer would actually 'want' this. It's all good and well saying my 'my internet is fine, it never goes down and everything else is connected anyway yada yada yada yada' but when your internet actually goes down and you can't play things you legitimately paid for then you realise how much of a ball-ache it really is.

Now, if Sony or MS did decide to pursue the Always On promise-land then i hope they at least think of a good way to create an Offline mode that people can use if they will be without their console for a period of time.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Of course. My internet was down for 7 hours on Saturday. It's fairly rare, but it happens. $#@! happens. That $#@! should not be compounded by games refusing to play when this occurs. Simple as that.

It's the future so deal with it? Do me a favour. Such a bad argument. It's only the future if the consumer lets it happen. Do not talk about always on as if it has some kind of intrinsic value, because it doesn't.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    No need to argue anyone's opinions. This thread is really just to see who really cares about it, and vote. I already said it would not bother me as I will ALWAYS have an internet connection.
    No need to argue, I agree, because there's no room for the opposition to argue. No one can give a convincing argument to actively support or encourage DRM, especially this kind.

It's fine if you're personally OK with it because you have access to the Internet, but my point was that you shouldn't support it, because it only serves to harm consumers. If you're empathetic, you should definitely be against it to some degree.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

6. Likes Two4DaMoney , Shingo likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    but my point was that you shouldn't support it, because it only serves to harm consumers. If you're empathetic, you should definitely be against it to some degree.
    I don't think you are understanding. I do not care either way. If we have the DRM, fine by me. If we don't have it, fine by me. I am sorry there are those who do not have a constant connection, but at the end of the day I only care about me. And I know this will not bother me.

The replies really should simply be a "Yes, it bothers me", or "No, it does not bother me." We already have a DRM thread for you guys to argue your opinions. This one was just to get a poll going.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-07-2013 at 14:19.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I don't think you are understanding. I do not care either way. If we have the DRM, fine by me. If we don't have it, fine by me. I am sorry there are those who do not have a constant connection, but at the end of the day I only care about me. And I know this will not bother me.

The replies really should simply be a "Yes, it bothers me", or "No, it does not bother me." We already have a DRM thread for you guys to argue your opinions. This one was just to get a poll going.
    Man at least you are honest instead of those who make up a million excuses on why something is good when the bottom line is they just care about themselves.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Man at least you are honest instead of those who make up a million excuses on why something is good when the bottom line is they just care about themselves.
    lol I am sure it makes me look selfish, but when I sit down to play a video game, I am only thinking of myself anyways. I never sit down and wonder if anyone in Japan, or Europe, or down the street is able to get online. Or if they are even able to boot a game. If I can play, then I am happy.

Friendship is Carrots
    The content of my posts is entirely apropos to the subject at hand. You made the thread, now let the community discuss within it. Stop being unnecessarily restrictive here.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

11. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Forum Sage

An option of 'No i don't really care however I still want to moan about it' would sum me up pretty well.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    The content of my posts is entirely apropos to the subject at hand. You made the thread, now let the community discuss within it. Stop being unnecessarily restrictive here.
    Here are some threads to argue in.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...be-put-to-rest
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...for-games-apps

This one is not for that purpose. It is to simply know if you care or not. NOT to argue with others on their opinion. This was created so I can see a poll.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-07-2013 at 14:40.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Wouldn't bother me unless my internet went down and I was only wanting to play a SP game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Friendship is Carrots
    I don't see in either of those threads the sort of responses I responded to here. Thus they're not fitting for the half of my post.

No offense, but maybe you should have stated your specific and arbitrary thread restrictions in the OP from the beginning instead of coming in a page later and clarifying things, then telling me to take my innocent questions elsewhere. Honestly, this is a rather silly.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

16. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    DRM is most dumbest idea i have ever seen in gaming history.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

18. Likes John25 likes this post
    PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    That same argument could be made for all the extra bells and whistles they add to a console that adds to it's price and complexity. Why do I need to pay the added cost of wi-fi in a console when I use the more dependable wired internet with no interference issues? Why do I have to pay for such a big hard drive when I've never come close to filling it?

Wouldn't a console be cheaper and "Easy and Simple" as you say without a bunch of non-game features and hardware added to it that gives it MORE things that could go wrong with it? With all that stuff added....."So many things could go wrong" as you say. Why not just have it play games instead of this movie playback, web browser, social media/gaming, etc etc stuff?

When people don't want something, they can come up with every justification under the sun as to why it's such a burden........ but when it's something they really like, they will dismiss the very same things as not being much of a burden at all....all of a sudden.

Simplified..... You like it...minimize the issues.......don't like it....exaggerate the issues. Happens all the time. Kinda like when PS3 fans dogged the 360 cuz they OVERSTATED the burden of having to swap discs on SOME games. The whole "in this day and age I shouldn't have to get up and swap a disc" baloney, but were perfectly okay with MANDATORY installs eating up the PS3's hard drive space on most games when the 360 made it OPTIONAL.
    No because the added bells and whistles are just that, bells and whistles. An internet connection is a requirement, not a whistle, in an online-only console. If my system explodes or my TV explodes or becomes useless then it is, comparatively, easier to fix than if the internet explodes or my router explodes. I buy a new TV, attach a couple cables and it is fixed in 30 seconds. Internet goes down and then what? Call customer service for hours to get an answer? Keep pressing the power button and hoping it turns on? Wait an unknown amount of time before it fixes itself? So instead of having an easy solution with a broken TV/System, now it is the tricky and time consuming solution of the internet.

Adding movie playback does not prevent me from using the system, nor does a web browser, social media, and so on. It adds to and layers the experience but if I don't care about any of it I can ignore it. I can't ignore not having a stable internet connection. Internet goes out and I have a useless paper weight because nothing will work on it. Even if things could go wrong with parts of the 'additions', I can still use the system for something. Look what happened with the PSN outage. PSN goes down for a month or so but because it is an added feature, and not a mandatory requirement, people can still use the system. Did they $#@!? Yes. Did they whine? Yes. Did they troll? Yes. Do they still complain about it now? Yes. But the system was still useable in some fashion and not useless and taking up space.

Elite Guru

You can't get a smartphone without a data plan. You can't denied that we are in always online world.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Ancient
    It'll make zero difference to me but it shouldn't be there as a requirement.
    It's like would a miss 1 pound going out my bank every month, no but thats no the point
    Its one of those to me
    Others it effects more for obvious reasons.

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    Items Linkin ParkUser name style
    meh i dont think i'd really care :/

PSN: raremew
    Playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Soul Calibur V,Street Fighter X Tekken
    Quote: "People are able to hold onto hope, since death is that which cannot be seen."

Elite Guru

Im just saying, it doesn't bother me because always online or online required is already force upon us.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Hell yes I would care. I'm buying a gaming console, if I go on holiday, move house or simply don't want to use the internet, I shouldn't have to suffer because of it

25. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    You can't get a smartphone without a data plan. You can't denied that we are in always online world.
    I bought my iPhone 5 without a data plan...

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I bought my iPhone 5 without a data plan...

Which carrier and how much did you pay?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    Items Linkin ParkUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Hell yes I would care. I'm buying a gaming console, if I go on holiday, move house or simply don't want to use the internet, I shouldn't have to suffer because of it
    oh well in that case yeah i would care. i dont wanna always have to be online. I'd rather have the choice to.

PSN: raremew
    Playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Soul Calibur V,Street Fighter X Tekken
    Quote: "People are able to hold onto hope, since death is that which cannot be seen."

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Which carrier and how much did you pay?
    My Nexus 4 was cheaper without a carrier. Even then it doesn't have to be online to use it. Not being able to use your apps without internet is crazy.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Not caring for Next gen too even care for this anymore... Fed up hearing about it to be honest
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information