Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Would your really care?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 68.33%
  • No

19 31.67%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Would have posted sooner but my internet was down.

I would care

2. Likes MjW , sainraja wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    Items User name style
    If I need a constant internet connection just to play games, I will quit gaming. Fuck that stupid noise.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

4. Likes Lefein, John25 wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

If always online prevents me from playing offline, it would be a deal breaker.

Nucleus

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Maybe they are just stating their opinion, voting, and moving to another thread?
    Well, it's really because no argument for its defense exists.

7. Likes John25 , sainraja wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Well, it's really because no argument for its defense exists.
    Doesn't need one. People have an opinion, and do not have to justify it. That is not what this thread is for. It was made to simply see who cared about the idea. I wanted people to share their opinion without worrying about being attacked for their opinion. It was meant to simply state your opinion and move on.

9. Dislikes sainraja is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Maybe they are just stating their opinion, voting, and moving to another thread? I am not about to spend time trying to convince you to agree with my opinion. It is just a waste of time trying to change peoples opinions.
    Havent seen it in those threads either. And if we're not allowed to discuss or debate it then you might as well close the thread to comments and just keep the poll open.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Havent seen it in those threads either. And if we're not allowed to discuss or debate it then you might as well close the thread to comments and just keep the poll open.
    Shouldn't have to close the thread though. Members might still want to drop a reply stating why they care or do not care about it, without getting the 1st degree by someone else.

At this point I guess it does not even matter. I wanted the thread to be something different than the direction it took. Closing it now would be pointless.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-07-2013 at 23:43.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Shouldn't have to close the thread though. Members might still want to drop a reply stating why they care or do not care about it, without getting the 1st degree by someone else. At this point I guess it does not even matter. I wanted the thread to be something different than the direction it took. Closing it now would be pointless.
    No worries. I can respect that and I'll stop arguing against the differing opinions in this thread.

13. Likes Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    No worries. I can respect that and I'll stop arguing against the differing opinions in this thread.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, now you respect what I was going after. lol

TOO LATE! I already said you guys can carry on debating. NOW DEBATE DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I would care. As long as game consoles can achieve their most basic function without any kind of BS, I'm on board.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I dont mind auto updating and that sort of thing but I dont want an internet requirement in order to play my SP games.

17. Likes Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Doesn't need one. People have an opinion, and do not have to justify it. That is not what this thread is for. It was made to simply see who cared about the idea. I wanted people to share their opinion without worrying about being attacked for their opinion. It was meant to simply state your opinion and move on.
    For me, it's a principle + convenience + reality issue.

Even if you gave everyone the fastest internet connection, with 100% uptime at YOUR (the user's) end. You still have to guarantee non-router/internet issues like on the server's end (either be at the console manufacturer's or the developer's).

If it's the developer's then they have to guarantee that they can handle the server loads. If they piss about and go "Economically" (which we know is how companies operate) ; then we're fucked. Because when that happens, it doesn't matter if I can download a terrabyte of data faster than you can blink - there will be external issues (both accounted for and unaccounted for) outside the normal parameters which we can currently expect; and I don't realistically believe that they can (adequately) account for all the possible variables.

This happens with online multiplayer games. But the reason it's tolerated/accepted is because it inherently requires an online presence. That is, its basic state is designed to have that component (online).

Single player games or story-based games, do not.

Also, about 6km sq of businesses in my area had to shut down work as a fibre optic cable was hit = no internet etc. In a day such as this, when you would want to play a game the most, you can't because you need teh internetz to play? please.

People can go on about "do something else etc" but that is a slippery slope at best - that is the worst argument to it tbh. I've done NOTHING wrong - I've bought the game, entered your BS online code; and now I have to make sure nothing fucks up at my end AND YOURS (or anywhere else that can affect a connection) in order to play your shitty game!!?!?

We should be able to choose what I want to do at our leisure (when it comes to lighter issues such as gaming) etc.

And to add online-requirement in SP games for DRM reasons is BS. Try to punish the pirates - if not, then move on. If you can't - reside in the fact that you can't get em all.

Look, if it's used as a ONE-TIME check - then that's not the end of the world. But to need it more than that is just pushing your luck guys.

EDIT:

Yes I'm mad!
    Last edited by Admartian; 05-08-2013 at 02:20.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post

Even if you gave everyone the fastest internet connection, with 100% uptime at YOUR end. You still have to guarantee non-router/internet issues like on the server's end (either be at the console manufacturer's or the developer's). If it's the developer's then they have to guarantee that they can handle the server loads. If they piss about and go "Economically" (which we know is how companies operate) ; then we're fucked - because when that happens, it doesn't matter if I can download a terrabyte of data faster than you can blink - there will be external issues (both accounted for and unaccounted for) outside the normal parameters which we can currently expect; and I don't realistically believe that they can (adequately) account for all the possible variables.

This happens with online multiplayer games. But the reason it's tolerated/accepted is because it inherently requires an online presence. That is, its basic state is designed to have that component (online).

Single player games or story-based games, do not. And to add it for DRM reasons is BS. Try to punish the pirates - if not, then move on. If you can't - reside in the fact that you can't get em all.

Look, if it's used as a ONE-TIME check - then that's not the end of the world. But to need it more than that is just pushing your luck guys.
    I understand where you are coming from completely. And I see why you would care if the next console has the DRM deal.

For me, my internet damn near never goes out. So I still do not feel this would bother me one way or another. Of course my opinion could change if this does in fact happen, and I am not happy with my experience.

Indoril Nerevar
    Doesn't need one. People have an opinion, and do not have to justify it.
    An opinion without a basis is pretty pointless. But that's besides the point; Rad brought up not having seen any arguments for pro/acceptive-DRM, to which you commented, then I responded to. Within the context specifically concerning such arguments and positions, then yes, they are certainly required.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I understand where you are coming from completely. And I see why you would care if the next console has the DRM deal.

For me, my internet damn near never goes out. So I still do not feel this would bother me one way or another. Of course my opinion could change if this does in fact happen, and I am not happy with my experience.
    I can see that pov too. And my internet itself is pretty much the same (though I'm 99% sure it's nowhere near as fast as you guys' speeds). But I've seen XBL, PSN, and sometimes Steam have random errors and I get disconnected. Like I said, guarantee me 100% uptime fast speeds
    but there will be a snag that screws you.

Also, sorry to you Lethal/anyone else that may quote me - I kept going back and editing to vent.

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Personally I wouldn't much, I'm always online more or less. But I know many people in rural areas that wouldn't be happy if every time their internet goes down they can't play.
    Last edited by MjW; 05-08-2013 at 10:45.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Any form of always connected DRM should be resisted just on general principle, regardless of whether or not you are a selfish bastard with the perfect internet service. Always on DRM sucks, it adds too many additional points of failure to be tolerated. You could have 99.9999999% up time on your connection but you are now a potential victim to potential problems at every step between you and the publisher's servers, something EA has already shown can ruin your gaming experience. No one's internet is perfect. I was once working tech support when Bell-Nexxia in Chicago go hit with a DDoS attack and half the continent lost broadband. The house I live in has a stand by generator, why should I give up gaming just because a winter storm took out power to 70% of the city, which has happened btw. I've been sent nasty emails for passing my provider's 200GB bandwidth cap before. I've had to replace wireless routers, or have the local cable company come into fix wiring and replace modems before. Any of which could stop me playing games with an always on DRM system, regardless of how good my internet is normally.

I don't mind a console that is always connected, or that does an infrequent security check, or does a one time verification but any system that says I can't play games if I don't have a connection, that's bullshit. There are simply too many reasons I could lose my ability to game, and my internet provider is just one of them.

24. Likes the_jim , Admartian , Rapture wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    If I need a constant internet connection just to play games, I will quit gaming. Fuck that stupid noise.
    I don't know why the bolded make m actually LOL:

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post

Even if you gave everyone the fastest internet connection, with 100% uptime at YOUR (the user's) end. You still have to guarantee non-router/internet issues like on the server's end (either be at the console manufacturer's or the developer's).

If it's the developer's then they have to guarantee that they can handle the server loads. If they piss about and go "Economically" (which we know is how companies operate) ; then we're fucked. Because when that happens, it doesn't matter if I can download a terrabyte of data faster than you can blink - there will be external issues (both accounted for and unaccounted for) outside the normal parameters which we can currently expect; and I don't realistically believe that they can (adequately) account for all the possible variables.

Single player games or story-based games, do not.

Also, about 6km sq of businesses in my area had to shut down work as a fibre optic cable was hit = no internet etc. In a day such as this, when you would want to play a game the most, you can't because you need teh internetz to play? please.

People can go on about "do something else etc" but that is a slippery slope at best - that is the worst argument to it tbh. I've done NOTHING wrong - I've bought the game, entered your BS online code; and now I have to make sure nothing fucks up at my end AND YOURS (or anywhere else that can affect a connection) in order to play your shitty game!!?!?

We should be able to choose what I want to do at our leisure (when it comes to lighter issues such as gaming) etc.

And to add online-requirement in SP games for DRM reasons is BS. Try to punish the pirates - if not, then move on. If you can't - reside in the fact that you can't get em all.

EDIT:

Yes I'm mad!
    How I feel. Principle and convienience. I had ongoing net issues for like 2 months; if a console required a connection to be on for meto actually play games: GET. THE. FUCK. OUT!

If it is just for background updates and additional bells and whistles I don't really give a fuck either way. I'm usually always online on PS3.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Ultimate Veteran
    I patiently await to see whether or not this happens. Apparently, an internal memo was "leaked" to the net a couple of days ago where MS essentially said that gamers expect the next XBox to play games offline.

What I find troubling about this is that Loop was supposed to be revealed before now but it had to be rescheduled. In my eyes, it appears that MS has reacted to the fallout on the internet over DRM. The SimCity launch was probably disastrous for any platform maker that planned on implementing this DRM feature.. So much so, that EAs new SIM game will not feature it. On top of all of that, Blizzard delivered a cherry on top by stating that the PS3 and PS4 version of Diablo III will not implement it.

Make 0 mistake about this fact. The industry as a whole is retreating from this, but we need to hold the line loudly and clearly. You, the gamer grew this industry from a niche market to a multibillion dollar industry that outpaces Hollywood movies in the revenue it generates. This industry grew because of us, not in spite of us and the publishers who have declared war on you have their answer.

IMO, this DRM fiasco is every bit the same watershed moment for the XBox name as when Epic campaigned MS to have the 360s memory bumped up to 512Megs. You XBox fans have a system to talk about because wisdom is the better part of valor.
    Last edited by Lefein; 05-08-2013 at 10:44.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    This still only serves to punish you, in principle gamers should oppose it. Server-side problems? You can't play.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    As someone who doesn't have the ability to obtain an "unlimited internet" source, yes I would care a great deal. I live in a rural area where we can't even get DSL. Only options I have for high speed internet are Wireless broadband and Satellite. We all know how reliable those types of connections are. If a system requires online to play, it will require me to allocate funds elsewhere.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Extreme Poster
    Always on is the future whether we like it or not.

P.S. NFS, so you do care somewhat right? You said you could care less but not entirely.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Always on is the future whether we like it or not.

P.S. NFS, so you do care somewhat right? You said you could care less but not entirely.
    Did you just call me NFS? BANNED!!!!!!

I could care less right now. But that could change if it happened and then I became unhappy with it. But as of this moment, I really do not care. And that could be because I plan on owning all the major consoles.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    If I had the choice between a console with Always-Online DRM and one without, I would choose the one without.

But the problem arises if both consoles have it. I don't know if I can give up gaming completely.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    If I had the choice between a console with Always-Online DRM and one without, I would choose the one without.

But the problem arises if both consoles have it. I don't know if I can give up gaming completely.

Part of that could be why it does not bother me right now. I know that the PS4 will not have this feature, and I know one way or another, I am going to get my game on. And if I had a choice, I would also choose the one without.

Thread Information