View Poll Results: Would your really care?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 68.33%
  • No

19 31.67%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    If it's a game I'm interested in, the addition of an "always online" feature is unlikely to dissuade me from purchasing and playing it. So no, in actuality, I don't care if companies decide to move forward with such a feature. However, I think there are a slew of legitimate concerns surrounding these types of things that have already been mentioned.
    Quite the opposite for me. With the experiences I've had with the two aforementioned games, that I paid for, it won't happen again.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You're saying that now lol. There are going to be some games that will make you think twice. I've had the same thing with PC games...as much as I try to avoid, they've almost taken me back. If it weren't for the PS4 reveal, I'd been close to getting a gaming PC ready.
    The outcry made Ubisoft drop it, only SimCity and Diablo III have it and they've gotten plenty of backlash and lost costumers because of it.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Quite the opposite for me. With the experiences I've had with the two aforementioned games, that I paid for, it won't happen again.
    It's a matter of experience, then. I've never actually played one before, so everything I've said is simply hypothetical. Quite possible that my perspective will change after having played one.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    You're saying that now lol. There are going to be some games that will make you think twice. I've had the same thing with PC games...as much as I try to avoid, they've almost taken me back. If it weren't for the PS4 reveal, I'd been close to getting a gaming PC ready.
    I'm not saying I'm not gonna think it's cool or whatever - I'm just saying it won't be worth the hassle for me. Not trying to ascribe that opinion on anyone else either.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    It's a matter of experience, then. I've never actually played one before, so everything I've said is simply hypothetical. Quite possible that my perspective will change after having played one.
    Trust me, it sucks! I have a lot of things to do, so playing games isn't a necessity. However, when I paid $60 for these two games, without thinking ahead... now when the servers are down, I can't play the games that I paid for. When the servers are being hammered, and you can connect, it sucks.

It's put the always on aspect into a perspective that has changed my purchasing criteria.

My fav. IP's right now...

Killzone
    Uncharted
    Gears
    Halo
    Hot Shots Golf

I've been playing those for the better part of two decades. If the next release of any of those games has an always online aspect, then I just won't buy them. Period.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    A console always on online? Yes, I'd have a problem with it. Why do I need to be on the internet to play my games? I don't care about leader boards. Why would my console HAVE to be online for me to play a game that's on a disc?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

7. Likes RaY_210 , Shingo , DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    A console always on online? Yes, I'd have a problem with it. Why do I need to be on the internet to play my games? I don't care about leader boards. Why would my console HAVE to be online for me to play a game that's on a disc?

It is about making sure the game is legal and not pirated. That is the only reason for DRM.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-10-2013 at 01:21.

9. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I wouldn't really have a problem with it cause I'm always connected right now anyway, but I understand why some people would have a problem with it. I do have issues with my ISP sometimes but usually it doesn't last long enough to bother me.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    It is about making sure the game is legal and not pirated. The is the only reason for DRM.
    BS.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    It is about making sure the game is legal and not pirated. The is the only reason for DRM.
    Okay, thanks for explaining it.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    BS.

Your reply is "BS" with nothing else backing up your reasons for such a short reply?

DRM (Digital Rights Management) was created to make sure content creators are getting paid. It is to ensure the games are purchased, and not a free illegal copy.

Ancient
    DRM has never stopped pirating
    Same with digital, in fact digital makes it even easier for pirates.

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    DRM has never stopped pirating
    Same with digital, in fact digital makes it even easier for pirates.

Sent via Codec

Of course it will not stop pirating. Nothing will. But DRM can slow it down. Lets say the next console does not get hacked for 3 years. That is 3 years of each game being fully paid for.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Your reply is "BS" with nothing else backing up your reasons for such a short reply?

DRM (Digital Rights Management) was created to make sure content creators are getting paid. It is to ensure the games are purchased, and not a free illegal copy.
    It's BS that a console should have to be always online to play games. It's BS that someone should have to always be online to play a game. There.

Of course it will not stop pirating. Nothing will. But DRM can slow it down. Lets say the next console does not get hacked for 3 years. That is 3 years of each game being fully paid for.

DRM only stops legit bought copies from being played properly. It doesn't slow down piracy at all.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    It's BS that a console should have to be always online to play games. It's BS that someone should have to always be online to play a game. There.
    Ok, but I was only explaining to Black Wolf what the DRM was for. And you quoted me saying "BS", as if I was incorrect.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Ok, but I was only explaining to Black Wolf what the DRM was for. And you quoted me saying "BS", as if I was incorrect.
    She didn't ask anything about DRM. She asked about online requirements. Anyways, I explained my "BS" comment. Moving on.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    She didn't ask anything about DRM. She asked about online requirements. Anyways, I explained my "BS" comment. Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Question was asked, I answered it. She did not know what the DRM was for.

Anyways, it just looked like you called my reply "BS" as if I gave the wrong answer.

And besides, I am red now, and NEVER WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *flexin
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-10-2013 at 01:38.

Soldier 95B
    Lots of things are always on now and command top dollar and have downtime and don't work when offline.

I respect others that don't agree with it though. I am fine with always on (we have with some games now and I never noticed). But others have legitimate complaints.

Friendship is Carrots
    It is because of piracy that DRM exists. However DRM has proven itself time and time again to not slow or prevent piracy whatsoever. All it does it harm the consumer.

Personally, when I buy a product, I expect to not be treated as a potential thief. I also expect to have my product work, regardless of whether I have an internet connection. Any developer that actively supports and incorporates such extents of DRM will never see money from me. And, if any console has such system checks, I will never touch it. It's a disgusting anti-consumer business tactic that is near-entirely ineffective and potentially detrimental overall.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 05-10-2013 at 03:47.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

22. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian

Yes - but truly how much of PS3 and 360 games are pirated? I know it was real bad back in the PS2 (DVD) days.

Ye people will do it, but why can't companies "dealwithit" (a seemingly) majority of gamers who aren't pirates? I don't really know of anyone that pirates 360 or PS3 games (compared to that of the XBox and PS2 days). Yes it happens - but nowhere near as bad.

PC, yes, but on console, no.

Forum Overseer
    At the same time, I think Always-On isn't just a DRM measure, I think it's much more than that...I know we don't know much but there has to be an advantage to an integral concept of online.

I'd guess some phone apps might also be online-only (not the ones that require online to work because they need the connection)...I donno, just something tells me that it's the future and it's more than just DRM.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    At the same time, I think Always-On isn't just a DRM measure, I think it's much more than that...I know we don't know much but there has to be an advantage to an integral concept of online.

I'd guess some phone apps might also be online-only (not the ones that require online to work because they need the connection)...I donno, just something tells me that it's the future and it's more than just DRM.
    It is.

But it shouldn't be when it comes to playing single-player games. As in, the console shouldn't $#@! you if something happens to the connection between you and the server before, during; and after you play the game...

If they leave that part alone; I'll be fine.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Yes - but truly how much of PS3 and 360 games are pirated? I know it was real bad back in the PS2 (DVD) days.

Ye people will do it, but why can't companies "dealwithit" (a seemingly) majority of gamers who aren't pirates? I don't really know of anyone that pirates 360 or PS3 games (compared to that of the XBox and PS2 days). Yes it happens - but nowhere near as bad.

PC, yes, but on console, no.

There are thousands of PS3 and 360 games being pirated every single day. The Xbox has had it the worse, as it was hacked before the PS3 was. And the Wii, that console has more piracy than the 360 and PS3 combined. Piracy is much worse now than the PS1 and PS2 days.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    There are thousands of PS3 and 360 games being pirated every single day. The Xbox has had it the worse, as it was hacked before the PS3 was. And the Wii, that console has more piracy than the 360 and PS3 combined. Piracy is much worse now than the PS1 and PS2 days.
    Fair enough.

Either; always online is far too intrusive. If they want to do it some other way then fine. Just nothing that hurts the loyal customer (potential ex-customers if they $#@! us about).

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Fair enough.

Either; always online is far too intrusive. If they want to do it some other way then fine. Just nothing that hurts the loyal customer (potential ex-customers if they $#@! us about).

I see the DRM as a good thing for game developers and such. Possibly not great for consumers. Because I always plan on having my console hooked to the internet anyways, it just would not really bother me. If I was a developer, or a publisher, I would also be all for the DRM.

I am not saying that I do want it, but I would not complain if that is what the console ended up using.

Thread Information