View Poll Results: Would your really care?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 68.33%
  • No

19 31.67%
Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Lets be real here. Who would really care about "Always On"?

This poll is to see if you guys would really care about the console having a constant connection, or if this is just something to $#@! about.

I myself could care less if this were to happen. I ALWAYS have internet, and my console will ALWAYS be connected anyways.

I am referring to the online DRM rumored to be on the next Xbox console.

Last edited by Lethal; 05-10-2013 at 01:37.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    If you need an internet connection to play SP games then yes I care. If you mean always on in the sense of auto updating and whatnot then no. Since I'm not sure which one you mean I didnt vote in the poll.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    If you need an internet connection to play SP games then yes I care. If you mean always on in the sense of auto updating and whatnot then no. Since I'm not sure which one you mean I didnt vote in the poll.
    I am referring to the online DRM rumored on the Xbox.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Yeah, I would care. And if MS did it and Sony didnt I would choose Sony's console right then and there.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-07-2013 at 05:31.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Yeah I mean it really will not have any affect on me now but what I move to some place where I can not afford internet for a while. Should I not be able to play the single player of the came I bought? What if I am at a place that has free wifi yet it keeps dropping? If both consoles did it I would not game next gen.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Banned

Well I wouldn't care. People whine about people with no internet connections or bad ones. I say it's more rooted in something to $#@! about pertaining to Xbox platform more than anything. Once disc media based consoles fade away and go to digital downloads, you will be stuck with this in the end anyways.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-07-2013 at 06:04.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well I wouldn't care. People whine about people with no internet connections or bad ones. I say it's more rooted in something to $#@! about pertaining to Xbox platform more than anything. Once disc media based consoles fade away and go to digital downloads, you will be stuck with this in the end anyways.

I edited your post as the end of it was nothing but baiting. Lets keep this topic civil, without trying to bait others in to an argument.

Super Elite
    I voted no but I'm not going to get the next Xbox anyway, PS4 all the way for me.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I dont support always online DRM, besides the world isnt really ready for such a thing.

Yes, at present I fully intend to drop out of games once the disc format vanishes and everything goes the eventual online only route.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Right now I am in Japan. I have only 1 internet cord/connection. So if my PS3, for example, was online-only then I have to choose between playing my PS3 or using my internet. You might say `Hey, just buy an extra cord` but then why do I have to spend even more money, time, and space to set-up something else to play my PS3? It is just going to be an inconvenience.

How will an event like EVO work? Instead of just setting up a system to TV, now you need X internet cables hooking into X consoles, clogging up everything, limiting you to a corner where the internet jack is at.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Two words. Sim City and Assassin's Creed

12. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Every time I play online with friends it is a constant battle with my interent connection. 75% time I lose the battle and resort to going back to single player games. There is no way I would be able to play next gen consoles if they went this way... So I voted Yes.

I can deal with the no-used-games thing because I only buy new games but I can't deal with greedy developers thinking they have a right to do this. I've said it before, if they want one game per console they should "push" digital downloads, making it more attractive to the consumer.

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of always on DRM.
    Ubisoft used to do such a system on PC but it has failed badly and so they removed the always online requirement from all games going forwards.

People would be happily playing then there was a brief glitch with their internet or the Ubi servers and they were booted out the game back to the start screen with all progress lost.
    Sometimes the Ubi servers were down so nobody could even begin to play which resorted in people downloading the pirated versions just so they could play the game they actually paid for.
    Irony.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah, I would care. And if MS did it and Sony didnt I would choose Sony's console right then and there.
    Yep - and if both did it (in one way or another) then I'd have to give up consoles and go PC/Steam. It would suck $#@! but there you go.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    This is silly. Good for the ***holes that are set themselves with glorious always working broadband connection, but some of us are not so lucky and/or have more worldly views and realize that many will be cut off/ out in the cold/ if they do enact always on DRM that wont allow one to play a single player game without phoning home to confirm it's a legit copy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Right now I am in Japan. I have only 1 internet cord/connection. So if my PS3, for example, was online-only then I have to choose between playing my PS3 or using my internet. You might say `Hey, just buy an extra cord` but then why do I have to spend even more money, time, and space to set-up something else to play my PS3? It is just going to be an inconvenience.

How will an event like EVO work? Instead of just setting up a system to TV, now you need X internet cables hooking into X consoles, clogging up everything, limiting you to a corner where the internet jack is at.
    Get a cheap router. If you can't afford that then that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Two words. Sim City and Assassin's Creed
    Three words... It's the FUTURE. You may not like it, but it IS coming someday.

Quote Originally Posted by the_jim View Post
    Every time I play online with friends it is a constant battle with my interent connection. 75% time I lose the battle and resort to going back to single player games. There is no way I would be able to play next gen consoles if they went this way... So I voted Yes.

I can deal with the no-used-games thing because I only buy new games but I can't deal with greedy developers thinking they have a right to do this. I've said it before, if they want one game per console they should "push" digital downloads, making it more attractive to the consumer.
    Greedy? Define it! Cuz you wouldn't like it if I looked at your income and decided to call you greedy. You'd of course cry foul and say you don't make a lot of money. Well to a homeless person who has no money, you look mighty greedy to him. Greed is in the eye of the beholder. Be careful when throwing that word around cuz it could just as easily be used to describe yourself.

Kinda like when union members call corporations greedy for not paying them a "living wage" as defined by THEM. And these SAME union people look for the lowest prices when buying things, yet never think twice as to if their own cheapness in the price they pay for things is providing a "living wage" for the people that make and/or provide that service or product. People are okay with the notion of wanting the cheapest price possible for a product/service..... but blast the very same concept when an employer wants his labor for the cheapest price possible. BOTH are understandable.

When I was a teen back in the 80's, I used to pirate games all the time. Never thought it was wrong.....UNTIL.... I actually had to go work for a living to pay my bills. Then I understood why it was wrong. If you think a product is too high priced and that the devs are greedy... then just don't buy the game. It's not like it's lifesaving medicine you have to have to survive. We have no right to cheap games.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Yes, because I can't be "Always On". This only limits my options and I'd avoid it.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Get a cheap router. If you can't afford that then that's sad.
    Like I said, why do I have to go out and get a separate piece of equipment not otherwise needed? It is not essential. If every game made was online only, then fine it is not a problem. But if the majority to half of the games are offline only, what does having an internet connection do for me?

TV+System=Easy and Simple
    TV+System+Router+Internet=So many things can go wrong.

20. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I don't think half of the world is ready for it. Maybe next gen. Yet I also think MS doesn't care half of the world unlike sony, so they can pull this out so easily..
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Banned

Like I said, why do I have to go out and get a separate piece of equipment not otherwise needed? It is not essential. If every game made was online only, then fine it is not a problem. But if the majority to half of the games are offline only, what does having an internet connection do for me?

That same argument could be made for all the extra bells and whistles they add to a console that adds to it's price and complexity. Why do I need to pay the added cost of wi-fi in a console when I use the more dependable wired internet with no interference issues? Why do I have to pay for such a big hard drive when I've never come close to filling it?

Wouldn't a console be cheaper and "Easy and Simple" as you say without a bunch of non-game features and hardware added to it that gives it MORE things that could go wrong with it? With all that stuff added....."So many things could go wrong" as you say. Why not just have it play games instead of this movie playback, web browser, social media/gaming, etc etc stuff?

When people don't want something, they can come up with every justification under the sun as to why it's such a burden........ but when it's something they really like, they will dismiss the very same things as not being much of a burden at all....all of a sudden.

Simplified..... You like it...minimize the issues.......don't like it....exaggerate the issues. Happens all the time. Kinda like when PS3 fans dogged the 360 cuz they OVERSTATED the burden of having to swap discs on SOME games. The whole "in this day and age I shouldn't have to get up and swap a disc" baloney, but were perfectly okay with MANDATORY installs eating up the PS3's hard drive space on most games when the 360 made it OPTIONAL.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I voted no. All of my devices are on all the time anyways.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    I voted no. All of my devices are on all the time anyways.
    this....

Soldier 95B
    Yup everything is always on just like my Internet. Bring it on!

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    It's terrible. Why would anyone be comfortable with the potential to be locked from their games? It must only be console owners here supporting or being acceptable of this kind of DRM, because clearly they haven't seen its effects on the PC. Too many times I've been booted or incapable of playing my games because of this $#@!, and I would have to go out of my way to crack a game I bought. This wouldn't even be possible on the consoles, so it's far worse.

Three words... It's the FUTURE. You may not like it, but it IS coming someday.
    And this is meant to be some honest justification? It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Yup everything is always on just like my Internet. Bring it on!
    Bring on unnecessary restrictions? Why? This doesn't benefit you at all, and only serves as a possible detriment.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid

To get the most out of the console.

Before buying my PS3 in 2007 My internet was via USB modem (see pic) and when I bought the PS3 in 2007 I asked the person in the store if it was possible to connect via USB modem, he said NO you need a router either wireless or wired.
    So I bought one, I didn't have to but I did to have full use of the console, I saw it as a waste of money not buying a router because I couldn't connect it to the internet and use the console to its full potential.

Last edited by keefy; 05-07-2013 at 14:43.

Thread Information