Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

GoW 3 and GoW Ascension could be done on the PS4 says Sony Santa Monica

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/05/06/god-of-war-3-god-of-war-ascension-could-be-done-on-the-ps4-says-sony-santa-monica/

Now that God of War: Ascension is shipped and on store shelves, with only the task of DLC and multiplayer upkeep keeping them on the game, Sony Santa Monica is looking ahead to the PlayStation 4 and what they can do with it.

In a piece by Eurogamer, Ben Diamand, Graphics Engineer at Sony Santa Monica, talked about what he thinks of the PlayStation 4:
    It’s definitely got its share of interesting challenges – filling up that much memory from disk takes some time. From a technical standpoint, the DDR5 part is perhaps more interesting to me. But the 8GB part makes me pretty happy, too, since I think it makes a powerful PR statement.
    As for something that is definitely an interesting question, they were asked about how difficult it might be to bring God of War 3 and God of War: Ascension onto the PlayStation 4, given how they spent so much time taking advantage of the PlayStation 3, with Diamand giving the first answer:
    Our approach is not really ‘to the metal’. It never really has been, and people are surprised every time we say this. Yes, we optimise, sometimes a lot, but we try to be smart about when and where. As for God of War and PS4, I couldn’t possibly comment on anything ‘future’…
    Going in to a little bit more detail about this was Cedric Perthuis, also a Graphics Engineer at Sony Santa Monica:
    It could be done. The PS4 hardware is such a big leap forward in terms of graphics power compared to the PS3 that we probably wouldn’t need to go that far. Most if not all of the SPU techniques we developed and used on PS3 were there to reduce the RSX workload. With the PS4 GPU we probably wouldn’t need those techniques.
    The chances of Sony Santa Monica actually doing upgraded ports of God of War 3 and God of War: Ascension on the PlayStation 4 are pretty slim, but you never know – the PS3 has, after all, received numerous PS2 games, both upscaled and simple ports.

Last edited by TwentyThree; 05-07-2013 at 22:20.

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    This last month has been tense. Microsoft holding out until the 21st, Sony not letting up on much else. The PS4 reveal discussed to death. Now we are in a news drought, but all of us so thirsty for more that we are scrambling around the smallest mention of the PS4.

This article wouldn't usually get a second glance. It says nothing, but we are so desperate for some info! May 21st and E3 cant come soon enough!

Ultimate Veteran
    Sony plans on loosening the lid, so to speak, leading up to E3.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Sony plans on loosening the lid, so to speak, leading up to E3.
    Yep. I cant wait to see Sony's E3 conference.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Should be fun.

It will be incredible to see what developers will do now that they have very good streaming methods and suddenly get ~6GB more memory to work with.
    Last edited by jlippone; 05-08-2013 at 07:11.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Its all great by bringing more games to the PS4. I care about that not paying any attention to MS event.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Should be fun.

It will be incredible to see what developers will do now that they have very good streaming methods and suddenly get ~6GB more memory to work with.
    I don't think we will see much significant impact of the additional memory for at least the first generation, second generation where titles have had it from day one of production however will be something special.

8. Likes Fon likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    $#@! 'upscaled' ports give me something new

Via Tapatalk

10. Likes Fon likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    I don't think we will see much significant impact of the additional memory for at least the first generation, second generation where titles have had it from day one of production however will be something special.
    A jump from ~512MB should be significant from the very first games.
    -------

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    $#@! 'upscaled' ports give me something new

Via Tapatalk
    This.

The next generation hasn't even started and people are talking about getting rehashed PS3 games already. $#@!. That.

Gimme some new stuff.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    The next generation hasn't even started and people are talking about getting rehashed PS3 games already. $#@!. That.
    I really love the idea of HD cleanups for older games. But this is definitely too early to be discussing it. I definitely wouldn't mind something like, say, the PS3's Uncharted games (or any other good titles) being ported up with 60fps and 1080p visuals. But it should come some time into the PS4's life.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I really love the idea of HD cleanups for older games. But this is definitely too early to be discussing it. I definitely wouldn't mind something like, say, the PS3's Uncharted games (or any other good titles) being ported up with 60fps and 1080p visuals. But it should come some time into the PS4's life.
    If it doesn't take much time and effort to upscale PS3 games than I would love to see games like, Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 on the PS4!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The jump from 720 to 1080 isn't that big a deal unless you sit 2 feet from the screen its not going to be noticeable. The frame rate jump would be more noticeable I think because it has doubled and matters less how close you sit.

Sitting on a PC its obvious which looks best but o sit the same distance you would when playing PS3 xbox. Be sure to make the 720p fill the screen though.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...3174176790AEE/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...9506F88780B05/
    Last edited by keefy; 05-08-2013 at 18:32.

16. Likes Merchant likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The jump from 720 to 1080 isn't that big a deal unless you sit 2 feet from the screen its not going to be noticeable. The frame rate jump would be more noticeable I think because it has doubled and matters less how close you sit.

Sitting on a PC its obvious which looks best but o sit the same distance you would when playing PS3 xbox. Be sure to make the 720p fill the screen though.
    It matters quite a bit I'd say. I play my console games on a 1080p 42-inch plasma screen and you can definitely notice jagged edges because of the resolution and lack of coverup AA. It's really been my primary grape with console gaming since I moved to the PC, actually. Bumping up a game like God of War 3 or Uncharted 3 to 1080p, even without AA still, would definitely be noticeable.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It matters quite a bit I'd say. I play my console games on a 1080p 42-inch plasma screen and you can definitely notice jagged edges because of the resolution and lack of coverup AA. It's really been my primary grape with console gaming since I moved to the PC, actually. Bumping up a game like God of War 3 or Uncharted 3 to 1080p, even without AA still, would definitely be noticeable.
    1080p is also the only resolution which doesn't need upscaling on modern TVs.
    This gives the resolution additional advantage outside the additional pixel count.
    -------

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Sorry but the PS4 doesn't need re-releases of PS3 games like the PS3 needed PS2 re-releases. This isn't the jump from SD to HD again.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

20. Likes Merchant likes this post
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The jump from 720 to 1080 isn't that big a deal unless you sit 2 feet from the screen its not going to be noticeable.
    If you sit 2 feet from my HDTV you can count the individual pixels on the screen at 1080p. If you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at 15 feet away you must be blind.

Not everyone in the world has a PC monitor sized HDTV you know. Some of us have big 70+" screens to look at.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Indeed it will be exciting. Maybe they will actually show us the PS4. Of course games and PSN/PSN+ improvements.

Thread Information