Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Sony PS4 may not achieve expected shipments in 2013

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Do you actively try to find bad news for the PS4?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Unrealistic goal for 2013 to begin with perhaps? 12-16 millions units with up to 20 millions units (now that a big gap in numbers). Come on now? "hey investors, we will ship 12m... no, 16m... well maybe 20m.. Sorry, were not organized enough to decide so we are giving you a gap of 8m units!!!"

They said they would begin shipping in June? How long does it usually take to go from SONY's suppliers to retail shelves?

This sounds made up for clicks. Internet crowd goes ape $#@! over the "June" shipment.... Actually ships in November in time for the holidays... "SONY didn't deliver as promised, they delayed the sorry mother $#@!ers!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tretton
    If you’re interested in buying it tomorrow, you can’t have one. It’s coming out Holiday 2013
    This was one of the first public statement by a head honcho. Have we heard from anyone high up we would get it this summer? I sure haven't.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    He also posts positive news, or maybe he feels obligated to post bad news because of the ragging his console of choice has been receiving...just saying

As long as I get mine on day one, I'll be happy

Master Sage
    Didn't PS3 sell like 10 million in 12 months? PS4 selling 20 million in 3-4 months sounds crazy to me.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Didn't PS3 sell like 10 million in 12 months? PS4 selling 20 million in 3-4 months sounds crazy to me.
    20 million? yes i agree that sounds crazy.
    10 million? possible if PS4 has a $400 model and great launch lineup.

Ultimate Veteran
    there was no way sony could hav shiped this many PS4'S TO START WITH.

8. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Elder

Anyone else think that sony has something crazy planned for E3? Something that will make the gaming world go crazy? I've seen this report couple of times, where sources have said that sony was planning on shipping out 16 million consoles at launch!

FFVII? :P Can't wait for E3.

Ultimate Veteran
    If I do recall, the 20 Million figure was actually combined PS3 and PS4 sales (possibly Vita as well).

And please, give someone a break if they are making a thread that is something less than sunshine and puppies for the PS4. The news is the news. Besides, it's not like he started the thread with "XBox 720 is going to rip the PS4s head off and shove it down its throat until it explodes."
    Last edited by Lefein; 05-09-2013 at 08:48.

11. Likes mistercrow, Justin , snooper71 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    If I do recall, the 20 Million figure was actually combined PS3 and PS4 sales (possibly Vita as well).

And please, give someone a break if they are making a thread that is something less than sunshine and puppies for the PS4. The news is the news. Besides, it's not like he started the thread with "XBox 720 is going to rip the PS4s head off and shove it down its throat until it explodes."
    This....

Don't shoot the messenger.
    Rip apart the news, not the member posting it!

Next Gen top picks:

Veteran
    I don't expect this to be true anyway, I seriously hardly doubt the fail like they did on PS3 launch.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3fan15 View Post
    Anyone else think that sony has something crazy planned for E3? Something that will make the gaming world go crazy?
    Be pretty badass if at E3 sony said: "We've decided to release the PS4 end of July"

15. Likes Justin likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    20 million in 2013? Perhaps if they release it now.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Sales are also dropping on current gen systems because Sony and Microsoft have their next gen consoles coming out, this is a completely normal cycle that I have seen happening since the NES/SNES days...I bet at E3 Sony and Microsoft will both announce a price drop of the current gen systems as well as all the details on the next gen systems. Sales will spike a little on the current gen because of the price drop and then the next gen systems will take over this holiday. I am not worried about mobile and tablet gaming, while there is a niche market for it, I don't in any way see it taking over normal console/PC gaming, the only time I really place mobile or tablet games is if I am waiting for something or just trying to kill some time when I am out and about.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    20 million? yes i agree that sounds crazy.
    10 million? possible if PS4 has a $400 model and great launch lineup.
    Totally unrealistic, I'm sorry. PS4 won't cost 400 bucks. Just like PS2 didn't, and just like PS3 didn't.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Totally unrealistic, I'm sorry. PS4 won't cost 400 bucks. Just like PS2 didn't, and just like PS3 didn't.
    It could be close. PS2 and 3 both pushed new disc mediums and had extensive custom CPU/GPUs. The PS3 is continuing with blu-ray and a fair amount of the CPU/GPU is pre made with customization here and there. The biggests costs for the PS3 were the diodes for the blu-ray drives, then RSX and then CELL.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    It could be close. PS2 and 3 both pushed new disc mediums and had extensive custom CPU/GPUs. The PS3 is continuing with blu-ray and a fair amount of the CPU/GPU is pre made with customization here and there. The biggests costs for the PS3 were the diodes for the blu-ray drives, then RSX and then CELL.
    Correct. The hardware shouldn't go above $400 but I could be wrong.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Be pretty badass if at E3 sony said: "We've decided to release the PS4 end of July"
    Well according to the upstream supply chain (digitimes source), the PS4 are to begin shipping at the end of June and "mass shipment" scheduled for August... Now my question is, how long does it take between shipment to suppliers and retail shelves? If I read the article right, suppliers will get them in June and "mass shipment" in August would mean retail?

If they do indeed start shipping in June to suppliers, that means production has already started or will start before the end of May? At 1.5 million units a month to start that would give us a 12 million figure (if production started in May) and since most of the parts are "off the shelf" production could easily reach 2m a month? Bringing the figure up to 16 million unites by the end of December.

Will they announce August release at E3?

While it seems far fetched to me they could ship that many (12m low figure), it's not entirely impossible (if production starts before the end of the month).

Next Gen top picks:

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    PS2 cost $299 at launch

http://au.gamespot.com/news/sony-ann...-price-2568701

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Just give me one before the years end, thats all I want.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    I don't see how it is possible to ship 12 to 16 million units this year, even if it is near that figure it would have to be a worldwide figure. Taking that into account and the plan to begin mass shipments in August, Sony has to at least be planning a worldwide release this year.

The Xbox 360 started mass production in August 2005 and managed a worldwide release. http://spong.com/article/8896/Xbox-3...egin-in-August

I am not sure when mass production started for the PS3, but they were having production problems with blue laser diodes and mass production for Sony's Cell processor hadn't even start yet in the September before release. http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+PS3+EU...rticle4081.htm

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Do you actively try to find bad news for the PS4?
    Yes, he has been for several years now with total impunity. It's OK to trash Playstation, it is verboten to even hint anything remotely similar for the Xbox.

Hey, how about this. Let's start this next generation by recognizing RUMORS are just that, about 90% bull$#@!, 5% WAG (wild ass guess) and 5% leaks. This is what Digitimes said in 2011, with 20 million units (funny, how that 20 million keeps showing up):
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110704PD202.html
    Sony to start production of PS4 at end of 2011, say Taiwan makers
    Based on this, we need to start the rumor that DUH SONYZ IZ DOOMED! SONY LIES ABOUT PS4 LAUNCH DATE, TWO YEARS BEHIND SCHEDULE. DEY PROMISED!!!! WAAAHHHHHH!!!!
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Superior Member
    I think both the PS4 and the Xbox 720 are gonna have issues with supply. The 360 did at it's launch and to a lesser degree the PS3 at it's launch too.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    I don't see how it is possible to ship 12 to 16 million units this year, even if it is near that figure it would have to be a worldwide figure. Taking that into account and the plan to begin mass shipments in August, Sony has to at least be planning a worldwide release this year.

The Xbox 360 started mass production in August 2005 and managed a worldwide release. http://spong.com/article/8896/Xbox-3...egin-in-August

I am not sure when mass production started for the PS3, but they were having production problems with blue laser diodes and mass production for Sony's Cell processor hadn't even start yet in the September before release. http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+PS3+EU...rticle4081.htm
    So basically 3 months between mass productions and retail availability. In order for the digitimes rumor to be true this time around (august shipments). SONY would have had to start (or will start very soon) mass production this month.

In order to meet shipment rumors, SONY would have to produce:
    20 million units = 2.5 million units a month (10 million at launch)
    16 million units = 2 million units a month (8 million at launch)
    12 million units = 1.5 million units a month (6 million at launch)

IIRC MS had 1 million units for the November launch across the 3 major territories, that's an average production of 300k units a month. Does SONY have the mean to produce 5 times more units a month with off the shelf parts when they start ramping up?

I know the title of the thread is copy/paste from the digitimes "article" but still... Why does it make it seem like it was a SONY statement?

Next Gen top picks:

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Mass shipping will start once mass production does, so mass shipping will probably start in or around August(to warehouses). However, it is not likely or planned to reach near 12 to 16 million shipments in 2013. Either there was a misunderstanding between Digitimes and their source or the source was wrong/lying.

Still Sony shouldn't have any problems shipping more units than what the Xbox 360 did, assuming they don't run into any production problems and mass production starts in August(or earlier).

Microsoft had originally planned on shipping more consoles at launch, but at some point decided "not to flood stores with consoles at launch, but rather depend on a strategy of steadily resupplying shops at regular intervals".

Thread Information