Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Did you like it or not? Deus Ex: Human Revolution

This is it! The game I originally envisioned starting this series on. Just finished it, the credits are rolling....what an experience...

This game series completely passed me by. I didn't give it a chance 10 years-ish ago when the first title was released, and when this one came out 2 years ago....I didn't even know it came out! It wasn't until a couple months ago when I was watching a YT video from a guy discussing video games while showcasing a random game he was playing that I learned about this title. After watching his vid I quickly went to seek out more info on it and shortly there after ordered it from amazon.

So here it is, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the game thats all about choice and playing the game how YOU want to play it. The concept intrigued the hell out of me and I couldn't stop discussing it with someone I work with. He quickly said he knew about it but didn't think it was for him. "Too many dark tones" he said. "Don't like dark games" he said. Well with all my raving about the game while waiting for it to arrive....he jumped on kijiji and bought a copy lol. And that rapidly took this experience from enjoyable to over the top fun. As every day at work we would discuss how far we got to, how we managed to over come certain situations, who we killed, who we saved.....the answers were NEVER the same.

The game is as cyberpunk as I could possibly want it to be, right down to the music which I enjoyed so much that I downloaded the soundtrack to my phone so I could listen to it on the go. The music is something you might expect from the movie Tron Legacy. Simply perfect for the overall ambiance of the game.

It wasn't without its flaws though. Some rough facial animations, flickering shadows from time to time and some frustrating boss encounters. Probably stopping the game from being a perfect title in all manners, but I was quickly able to look past it while becoming enthralled in the experience. HIGHLY recommend this game, I look forward to playing it again differently.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling on due to the high I'm on having just finished it.

So my question to you all is, did you like it or not?
    Last edited by shepard; 05-09-2013 at 14:55.

Superior Member
    Liked the game but hated yhe physics and AI.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    One of the BEST games on the PS3, they seriously better be making a sequel or something for the PS4.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    One of the BEST games on the PS3, they seriously better be making a sequel or something for the PS4.
    That'll probably be Deus Ex: The Fall, which was trademarked by Square Enix back in March. Not to be confused with Human Defiance (CBS Films).

Anyways, I liked Human Revolution but my favorite title in the series is the original. It had a darker atmosphere with more conspiracy theories.

5. Likes Itachi , Fenix likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Damn, had no idea about The Fall. Excited already lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I loved the game and it wasn't bad at all.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

El Presidente
    It was one of the best games I have played this generation. I enjoyed the heck out of playing it!

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Member
    The game was definitely a enjoyable experience, except for that last level...
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Elite Member
    It's a good game. Not a great game.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Only thing that I didn't like was the boss battles, they were okay, but seemed very tacked on and didn't allow for much freedom.

I'm keen for another deus ex

Via Tapatalk

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Stylistically Human Revolution is a stunning game, the different color palettes for the different cities is very cool. The level of detail in the game is impressive, almost any computer terminal you see in the game can be hacked to find something. If you have the right skills there are areas in most of the game stages that you can reach that are other wised locked, even if you lack the skills there's often an alternative way to get past the barrier. This is a game that rewards careful exploration, there are sections of each stage that you might not even find if you don't go into every nook and cranny. This is a game where getting the ability to jump a bit higher or having a lot of points in none combat skills like hacking or lock picking can make a major difference in how hard a stage is.

There are multiple paths through almost any section of the game, you can fight, you can sneak, you can avoid. Except I'm told the various bosses, who are all unfortunately combat stages which is one of the few let downs in the game. I got distracted and hadn't got the first boss yet last time I played and I really keep meaning to go back and get back into it. Tactical choices can have a pretty big impact, letting the wrong character die can lock you out of reward scenarios. One I seem to recall punishes you if you didn't discover a hidden section of the stage and save some hostages you might not have even known about. They aren't important to the story, the game simply continues on without pause, but later in the game that NPC might not be available to help you.

Combat is where people might get turned off. This is a game that actively punishes you for running and gunning, it is very much a cover shooter, and you have to approach situations with a much more tactical frame of mind. If you are trying for a no kill stage the game can be extremely slow paced as you work out patterns and try to get right timing to knock someone out when he can't be seen by another bad guy, or waiting to lure enemies into ambushes. Almost everything you do in combat is resource limited, even using your cybernetics to punch someone out requires energy that has to be scavenged, or used right first time. Getting caught out of cover is almost always a quick way to die. Blowing the stealth can result in all the bad guys in a stage converging on you in short order.

This was one of the games I was most looking forward to for this generation, and part of the reason I haven't gotten back to it is I don't really want it to end. I was even at the SDCC panel for the game, which was an interesting discussion with the game's technical adviser on the state of actual cybernetic research.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's a good game. Not a great game.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    How come? Thought it was great myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Only thing that I didn't like was the boss battles, they were okay, but seemed very tacked on and didn't allow for much freedom.

Via Tapatalk
    I was not prepared for that first boss battle. I was all stealthy and didn't have to equipment to deal with that. I was scrambling with that one.
    Last edited by podsaurus; 05-09-2013 at 18:33.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Loved the game, one of my favourites this gen. I still listen to the soundtrack.

The problem with the bosses was that they were designed by a different company. Missing Link fixed that with a boss you could take down with stealth.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

15. Likes Metal King Slime likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I'm told the various bosses, who are all unfortunately combat stages which is one of the few let downs in the game.
    This was a concern of mine while reading/watching reviews on the game leading up to receiving it. I think I died at every boss roughly 12 times lol. In some cases I died faster than the loading screen that I had to wait through to try the boss again /facepalm. Alot of the critique was around building a more stealth oriented character and then having to fight impossible odds during the boss fights that "clearly required a more combat approach". Well I'm here to say that isn't really the case.

My deaths usually consisted of the following:
    -few early deaths to understand how the boss was kickin my butt
    -few deaths trying conventional run/gun tactics
    -few deaths learning the room layout and what was in it

Example first boss. I died easily 10-12 times on. And then when I found out what way works, I beat him in about 10secs flat barely taking a hit.

Tactical choices can have a pretty big impact, letting the wrong character die can lock you out of reward scenarios. One I seem to recall punishes you if you didn't discover a hidden section of the stage and save some hostages you might not have even known about. They aren't important to the story, the game simply continues on without pause, but later in the game that NPC might not be available to help you.
    Funny you mention the hostages. I completely walked right by them in that stage. Never even found them. They all ended up dying because I never looked for them before completing the stage. But my buddy at work found them, he just failed to save them within a certain time limit and they died for him too lol.

Combat is where people might get turned off. This is a game that actively punishes you for running and gunning, it is very much a cover shooter, and you have to approach situations with a much more tactical frame of mind. If you are trying for a no kill stage the game can be extremely slow paced as you work out patterns and try to get right timing to knock someone out when he can't be seen by another bad guy, or waiting to lure enemies into ambushes. Almost everything you do in combat is resource limited, even using your cybernetics to punch someone out requires energy that has to be scavenged, or used right first time. Getting caught out of cover is almost always a quick way to die. Blowing the stealth can result in all the bad guys in a stage converging on you in short order.
    Yes, combat can be brutal. While stage progression is highly praised for the choices you can make. The combat felt very much a choice between either stealth, or cover shooter. Half way through the game I was tired of dying in 1-2 hits if I screwed up my stealth approach, so I spent multiple points in the reduced damage skill tree and even maxed out I still felt pretty squishy if I was caught out in the open.
    Last edited by shepard; 05-09-2013 at 14:46.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Loved the game, one of my favourites this gen. I still listen to the soundtrack.
    Love the music, love it alot. The main theme is pure awesome.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Disliked the boss fights and endings but enjoyed the overall experience. Would have been nice if there were more than just one theory in play here.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    That'll probably be Deus Ex: The Fall, which was trademarked by Square Enix back in March. Not to be confused with Human Defiance (CBS Films).

Anyways, I liked Human Revolution but my favorite title in the series is the original. It had a darker atmosphere with more conspiracy theories.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Nice to see a new one coming out.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Probably the all-around most solid single-player experience I've had this gen. I need to play it again soon...

PSU Live Streamer
    That'll probably be Deus Ex: The Fall, which was trademarked by Square Enix back in March.
    If you watch till the end of the roll of credits they elude to a sequel. I'm stoked. GIME MORE!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    The game was awesome and i loved it, the A.I was questionable at times, but overall

An awesome game
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    If you watch till the end of the roll of credits they elude to a sequel. I'm stoked. GIME MORE!
    I've seen it before. They were alluding to the original, which is the sequel to Human Revolution.

PSU Live Streamer
    I've seen it before. They were alluding to the original, which is the sequel to Human Revolution.
    Yes thats right...ok makes more sense now.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    It was ok. Tho i quit two thirds of the way through as i could not be arsed with it.

Master Guru
    I loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Without a doubt one of the best games this gen.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    One of the great games of this gen. Masterful artstyle and colour pallete to showcase the themes of the narrative. The only gripe I cant come to terms with is that the game gives you full freedom to play as you like and after 20ish hours of intricate stealth and no alarms/kills the game doesn't acknowledge your choices at all.
    It basically comes down to "press square for ending A, press X for ending B..."

Dishonored is how player choice deserves to be done where the player means something and the world acknowledges your existence and actions
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post

Via Tapatalk
    also this

Thread Information