Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony and Microsoft going heavily on free-to-play...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/09/so...xt-gen-says-e/

Sony and Microsoft are telling developers they're "going heavily" on free-to-play and in-app purchasing models with their next-gen consoles, according to Epic Games VP Mark Rein. Speaking in a roundtable discussion at the UK's Game Horizon conference, Rein said both companies will take on the kinds of financial models seen on mobile devices.

"The next-gen consoles are going to be fully embracing the free-to-play and these IAP-type business models," Rein told the audience, "So in case you don't know that I'm putting that out there. Sony and Microsoft are both going heavily in that area."

Roundtable chair Matt Martin of GamesIndustry International said that's what both platform holders are saying, but that "we still need to see some kind of evidence."

Rein replied, "Well, I'm telling you. I'm telling you what they're telling developers."

In this month's issue of Game Informer, via Gaming Everything, Sony Worldwide Studios chief Shuhei Yoshida said his company's working on a "free-to-play type" PS4 game, and that Sony is open-minded when it comes to different financial models.

"We are developing a free-to-play type of game, but we haven't announced it yet," Yoshida told Game Informer. "We don't have any subscription-based games in development, but we are not crossing out any type of game; if it makes sense for a particular project, we'll look at adopting different models. We are open for any types of models. Overall, we are increasing investment in the digital side of development, either through digital titles like Journey that we've been doing, but also trying to add more service-based models to our games going forward, like DLCs or additional features post launch."

Sony also recently announced Blacklight: Retribution as a free-to-play PS4 game.

Later during the Game Horizon roundtable, which focused on "new opportunities in video game hardware," Rein said the PS4 and next Xbox can learn from Google and Apple on how to make gaming more convenient for players.

"I think what you're going to see the new consoles do is a better job of making it easier," Rein said. "I think the real big thing that the consoles can do is improve their interfaces. They can improve the Xbox Live-type experience. They can improve their media center capabilities. But that's only going to make them also better platforms for having your games. Your games will just come down from the cloud, you'll be able to go to any Xbox, sign in, and boom, you'll be able to play your game."

"I think they can make gaming a lot more convenient, and then I think you'll game more if it's more convenient," he added.

We should learn more on all that in the coming weeks, with the next Xbox set to be announced on May 21, and E3 kicking off in just over a month's time.
    I dislike free-to-play tremendously.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Dust is free to play

have you seen how that game has come along?

naturally however, a free to play model is nothing bad. the game will be designed to last longer which means you should be able to play it longer (no more yearly COD?) microtransactions for things that should be in the game however, is not cool. hopefully devs get this before they kill the idea outright.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    That's the main problem with the f2p model.. the "IAP". It basically comes down to money; the more the better.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    indeed, but the system isn't inherently bad. Dust has you purchasing ingame goods (with real cash) but its not required and the best stuff is still free.

it all comes down to how devs implement the system.

i think it was Deadspace 3 that had the really $#@!ty implementation of IAP, and that is just a stain on an otherwise solid business model.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Soldier 95B
    Love the idea of F2P. Looking forward to more.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That's the main problem with the f2p model.. the "IAP". It basically comes down to money; the more the better.
    Yeah exactly.

A lot of f2p games rely too heavily on people buying things.

We will see, but I don't see myself getting heavily involved in any

Via Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Love the idea of F2P. Looking forward to more.
    Do you pay in the game, or do you just play for free? Any particular games you've enjoyed?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Do you pay in the game, or do you just play for free? Any particular games you've enjoyed?
    Quake live
    Its free but gimped slightly in less maps for free users however premium is free all weekend right now.

Superior Member
    Port DC Universe to PS4 and I'll be happy!
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Soldier 95B
    Yes I do pay. Recently I have enjoyed Dust 514 as well as Happy Wars. Also Doritos Crash Course.

Thread Information