Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

How 4K Resolution Gaming Looks Is It Really Worth It?

http://gamingbolt.com/how-4k-resolut...eally-worth-it
    The games will look more 3d like without the glasses with tons of details on the screen.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

How 4K Resolution Gaming Looks Is It Really Worth It?

More pixels are always nice, it's important to have the capacity, but you also need the H/W to actually utilise it.

It's like cameras boasting about megapixels. What's a 25 megapixel camera without a good sensor?
    It's like a 4k console that doesn't have the power to fill it's games with high res textures.

More 3D just because of a higher pixel count?

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm not excited to see anything about 4k at this point. In a few years, MAYBE.

4. Likes Merchant likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I can't wait!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Ok, I checked the screens... changed my mind lol. I want some 4k plzzz....

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    ^me too, not until I can have a Ultra HD Tv at least.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    If they could do some better AA and textures, I'd buy the tv without hesitation lol. I was kinda against it, really... until I actually took the time to look at "what it could be".

Elite Guru
    All those 4K images proved to me is that I need to up my PC specs a little for the next few years.

4K is a nice luxury but it is really unnecessary, 1080p is really where the sweet spot of visual impact and performance will be for the next few years. Until we evolve better eyes there is very little need for additional resolution when it comes to TV monitors.

10. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I think we'll be fortunate to see 4K movies this gen. I am thankful that Sony is not going "krazy ken" on us and promising 4k 60fps games before they are really in a place to move there.

I've made up my mind on the topic, and I think what will happen is that in a couple of years, we will see a few "Fl0w"-like games in 4K to be some basic eye-candy/atmospheric tech demos.. But they will be few and far between. PS4 won't go far beyond that unless is sells over 100 million units in short time. Then, we might just see some PC-based developers offer back-catalogue titles in 4K since they wouldn't be technically demanding enough on the machine not to.

12. Likes Morganator likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I'll buy a 4k TV/Monitor when they become affordable. For a TV nothing less than 65" and for a monitor nothing less than 30".

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    As with any of these technologies I'll buy into it when I need a new TV and it comes as standard.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I absolutely plan on buying a 4K TV next January/February. I hope by then, I can get a 65" for around $3,000

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Currently usign a 4k TV aat 4k resolutions can only support maximum of 30FPS since the HDMI standard isn't fast enough to support higher framerates.

Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    More pixels are always nice, it's important to have the capacity, but you also need the H/W to actually utilise it.

It's like cameras boasting about megapixels. What's a 25 megapixel camera without a good sensor?
    It's like a 4k console that doesn't have the power to fill it's games with high res textures.

More 3D just because of a higher pixel count?

On the move with Tapatalk
    My camera is 10+ years old and only 2Megapixels, my mums is about 5 years old and 5Megapixels but mine takes much better quality pictures.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    All those 4K images proved to me is that I need to up my PC specs a little for the next few years.

4K is a nice luxury but it is really unnecessary, 1080p is really where the sweet spot of visual impact and performance will be for the next few years. Until we evolve better eyes there is very little need for additional resolution when it comes to TV monitors.
    My thoughts exactly.

That and I recently bought a new television. I won't need a new one for a few years so until then I'll wait. Not only that but it is said that the, Playstation 4 won't support 4k gaming? (Maybe indies will take advantage?)

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Currently usign a 4k TV aat 4k resolutions can only support maximum of 30FPS since the HDMI standard isn't fast enough to support higher framerates.
    That is my main problem with 4K currently. I think i'll have to buy a 120Hz 2560x1440 for my gaming needs once they are available.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

That and I recently bought a new television. I won't need a new one for a few years so until then I'll wait. Not only that but it is said that the, Playstation 4 won't support 4k gaming? (Maybe indies will take advantage?)
    Ps3 can do 4k but only with static images so I would guess there is no limitation to the output systems of PS4 stopping 4K gaming other than pure GPU performance.

Ultimate Veteran
    iam skiping 4k because 8k will be next
    all about 4k

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471727/joe-kane-on-4k

Friendship is Carrots
    I really hate how they call it 4k to make it seem better than it actually is, as we normally refer to pixel amount by its height, not width. Really, this should be called 2k.

I don't think it's remotely necessary right now. Maybe in half a decade.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Guru
    Most games will not support any kind of 4k mode and will just aim for 1080p.

There are however plenty of ways how 1080p game can be made to render images with higher than 1080p resolution without having to pay the full price.
    Games like Worms, Star Dust and such will be the ones that might offer 'proper' 4k experience.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I really hate how they call it 4k to make it seem better than it actually is, as we normally refer to pixel amount by its height, not width. Really, this should be called 2k.

I don't think it's remotely necessary right now. Maybe in half a decade.
    Well considering it makes more sense to go wide-angled than high.

4K is definitely needed...I think that's the optimal resolution and maybe could even put in a little more than that for 60"-70" screens. And then there's projectors.

4k isn't needed as mainstream right now but it has to start now so it becomes cheap for the mainstream in half a decade.

Anything over 46" should enjoy 4K but I would definitely be able to tell the difference on a 46". However mainstream people won't care after 2k, which is already there as they usually don't have bigger screens anyway. They will need to be shifted once 2k is completely gone, which will be like...like almost never.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The previous standards of PAL, NTSC and so on lasted for how many decades?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    First of all, why in the hell would I want 4K in video game graphics when the Graphics Fidelity has a long way to go on 1080p today? Yeah, so you put 4x the number of pixels on the screen. The processing power needed for that alone w/ the same Graphics Fidelity goes up significantly, which we don't have. And don't have enough processing power to max out on 1080p today.

Add to that, that almost nobody owns a TV large enough, for their normal sitting distance to even distinguish an appreciable improvement in 4K graphics.

Do yourself a favor and measure the distance from your TV to your couch (actually where the front of you face would be when seated.) Are you to the right of the green (1080p) line below? Not many of us are, and those that are maybe barely to the the right of the green (1080p) line. Those are the only ones who would start to see a benefit of going 4K. I'm at 10.5' and 65" I'd have to go up to at > 80" to start even potentially noticing a difference and the reality is I'd probably need to go up to 150-200" TV (which I can't afford ) to really start seeing it. Or I can move my Couch such that I'm 5-6' from my 65" TV to really make such a difference that I'd be saying, damn I need to move to a 4K TV (That's about the midway seating point for a 65" TV between 1080p optimal to 4K optimal - it's in this middle ground that someone really starts to see the difference, at the beginning you don't see a difference.)

Back to the point though, is that while they can digitize film to 4K and record video at 4K, and this has a Native Graphics Fidelity, and this would be worth it if you actually sat that close to a TV today. The reality is the Graphic Fidelity of video games do to processing limitations still has a long way to go before we're even close to fully utilizing 1080p, let alone going 4K.

Extreme Poster
    ^Yea, that's why I think 1080p is good enough for the mainstream for now until we're out of 1080p TVs. I sit very close to my TV so I can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and I'm sure I'd be able to tell between 1080p and 4k.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    ^Yea, that's why I think 1080p is good enough for the mainstream for now until we're out of 1080p TVs. I sit very close to my TV so I can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and I'm sure I'd be able to tell between 1080p and 4k.
    We'll end up going there soon enough anyway as these become commoditized but I don't see a big consumer push for it w/o some broadcast, cable, sat delivery behind it.

You can say, IP delivery, but I'm sorry, TV programs aren't going to move to 4K recording and delivery until there's sufficient demand for it. It took years after ATSC standards were put in place and the first HD broadcast before it became the norm to do, why because they wouldn't pay the cost to upgrade the equipment until they had a wide enough audience w/ equipment of their own to watch it.

Both DVD and BluRay sales are slumping w/ IP delivery services. And this is when IP 1080p quality looks worse than an upconverted DVD most of the time (IMHO.) The compression on it is extremely high to be able to support bandwidths limitations of their and every network.

This will improve in quality with time, but I don't see a 4K disc surviving against IP content delivery. I don't see IP content delivery being significant in the 4K video market for at least a decade. And I don't see a new broadcast standard coming out for at least 10yrs (it takes them 10yrs once they agree to move to the next standard to actually standardize it - it took longer to do so with ATSC from initial talks, and we still haven't had any initial talks for a 4K broadcast standard.)

The cable co's are raping the Analog Channels now, to be able to deliver HD channels. The Sat companies are over compressing things to death and requiring an obscene number of LNBs to support it's HD channel lineups. Going 4K is just going to cut the number to 1/4 of what there are of HD channels today (assuming they went all 4K and no 1080p.) Will these guys be able to squeeze some more magic bandwidth out of this, maybe but not enough that they'll be able to have the same amount of channels they have today. And it would be at great upgrade costs to boot.

While 4K TVs are coming, I say 4K content isn't coming, at least not in vast amounts for at least a decade, and not something that most people are going to be willing to pay for. Adoption will be even slower than what HD TV adoption was, which took about a decade to get to about 25% adoption rate, and this was a markedly observable improvement in quality, and we had broadcasters broadcasting in HD. We had upconverting DVD players. It took us almost a decade to get to an HD Disc standard. It took us almost a decade to get to HD game consoles.

A decade folks, that's what we'll have at minimum before 4K is real enough to the world.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    You can say, IP delivery, but I'm sorry, TV programs aren't going to move to 4K recording and delivery until there's sufficient demand for it. It took years after ATSC standards were put in place and the first HD broadcast before it became the norm to do, why because they wouldn't pay the cost to upgrade the equipment until they had a wide enough audience w/ equipment of their own to watch it.
    Sadly west is quite late on the recording side as 4k is pretty much non-existent even for movies.
    Japan however starts 4k broadcasts in 2014 and 8k is on target for 2016.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Thread Information