Latest PSU headlines:

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Internship Interview, what to expect?

Hey PSU,

So, I'm experiencing life and this is my first time going for an interview, an internship interview, no less. Now, before you tell me to gtfo, I've already googled articles and even asked Yahoo Answers, but I feel it's not enough. I know that out of the hundreds of members on here, one of you has been through this experience. But here's the twist, mine is taking place at a restaurant. It's actually in less than 12 hours from now.

A little background on the interviewer/future employer if it works out. The company just started this year and they are booming. It's a media/film company that supports crowdfunding. I know the CEO there, he was the one who offered me this opportunity in the first place.

But I have a few questions regarding these type of interviews, especially at restaurants.

What type of questions will I be asked?

How should I answer the salary question, assuming this is a paid position?

The place is actually a sports bar and grill, so, maybe I should ditch the tie?

The people are roughly my age, or their early 30's, so should I be a little informal with them?

I'm very nervous, but I wanna be confident like a boss in there, any techniques to get over my nervousness?

And generally anything else will help,

Thanks a bunch PSU

TL; DR?

Going for my first internship interview at a sports bar in less than 12 hours, what to expect?

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Is this in Japan? America? In English/Japanese/Other language?

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Is this in Japan? America? In English/Japanese/Other language?

Lol, it's in Canada, I live in Canada. The Japanese flag is there because I love Japanese culture, but it's in Toronto.

Edit: Great, my nervousness decided to kick in last minute. Normally people puke, I take a shoot...correction, just took a ****.

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Ah, gotcha. What is the actually job you are interning for?

Well, first step is take a deep breathe, inhale, exhale, in hale again, exhale again. Gather your chi. Feel a little better?

Don`t ditch the tie. Go in looking your best. When in doubt a boss would rather see a person over-dressed than under-dressed. Show them you take the job seriously by how you dress.

Wait for how your interviewers act with you to judge how you act with them. If they act really buddy buddy, laid back style then go with the flow. If they act all super professional `Mr. Detox this, Mr. Detox that` then stay professional as well in how you address. But like I said let them make the first move so you have a gauge of how things go.

Wait to see if they bring up stuff like pay, benefits, etc. If they don`t then bring those that are important to you diplomatically. Don`t say `I`m expecting X, Y, Z.` Instead be laid back and ask `I was curious if this is a paid or unpaid internship.`

I`ll think of a couple more things.

5. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    I'll just give you one tip before I call it a night here.
    Remember to give em a firm handshake, It shows positive personality characteristics. Important for first impressions.

7. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Preciate it guys, a lot. Lasombra, it's a media type job, but I won't know what I'll be doing exactly, but it also functions as a production and post-production company. So, I'm assuming as an intern, it's all grunt work at first. They've even gained support from TED talks.

Edit: If I don't respond back within the hour, I'm probably asleep, but I'll let you know how it went, and then we can assess it based on what happened?

Thanks again you two, seriously.

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Since it is crowd sourcing, and dealing with media/production, they will probably ask you questions dealing with creativity.
    If that happens then you can draw upon your experience with this forum (and others) to give examples of your creative side as well as mentioning you`ve spoken with people/know people who deal and work in the media (like myself), so you have contacts for information/ideas to help the company. Contacts, or at least conveying you have contacts, is important with crowd sourcing jobs and media jobs.

The key thing you want to convey in the interview is what you can bring to the company. How will you help them compared to the other candidates. Yes, of course you want the job to help you, but you have to show them you`ll be productive and a team player.

10. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Well the advantage I have is that I'm in film school and the company even has Film in their company name. I've obtained lots of skills from the current course I'm in. I still have two years left and this internship, for however long it will be will greatly benefit in my last year, where I have to do an internship to get my 160 hours quota. Aside from that, I know the CEO off of facebook since 2008. We're on good terms. But yeah, I completely agree with what you're saying, having contacts, networking, is a huge factor in this type of industry. They do a lot of social media on facebook and twitter. I already have a good background knowledge of their company, but there always those out-of-the-blue questions that throw you off.

Additionally, I'll also be answering questions that back up what's on my resume, right?

Edit: Well I'm off to bed, thanks so much again. I'll be checking this thread again when I wake up to read through the comments again, if there is anything else, please feel free to post. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 05-14-2013 at 08:26.

El Presidente
    I don't have any experience with this but good luck! Best thing to do is relax. You're just talking after all. That's how I would think of it, otherwise I'd put too much pressure on myself telling myself 'don't screw up' you know?

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Well the advantage I have is that I'm in film school and the company even has Film in their company name. I've obtained lots of skills from the current course I'm in. I still have two years left and this internship, for however long it will be will greatly benefit in my last year, where I have to do an internship to get my 160 hours quota. Aside from that, I know the CEO off of facebook since 2008. We're on good terms. But yeah, I completely agree with what you're saying, having contacts, networking, is a huge factor in this type of industry. They do a lot of social media on facebook and twitter. I already have a good background knowledge of their company, but there always those out-of-the-blue questions that throw you off.

Additionally, I'll also be answering questions that back up what's on my resume, right?

Edit: Well I'm off to bed, thanks so much again. I'll be checking this thread again when I wake up to read through the comments again, if there is anything else, please feel free to post. Thanks again.
    Most likely they will ask questions about the resume, how you will bring in new business like contacts/writers/whoever or such that you're assigned to, and stuff like that. How will you network a new crowdsharing initiative? could be a sample question.

14. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Forum Sage

I always find the pre-interview period the most worrying. Actual interviews are fine.

Just remember; you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. You need to go in there with the mentality that you are already good enough for the job, you need to find what they can offer you.

Dress smart, make eye contact, speak clearly and try to avoid hesitating answering questions as it makes you look clueless however if you don't know the answer just admit you don't know the answer as it shows you aren't the type of person who will take gambles when it comes to making decisions.

Throw in a bit of humour as well at any opportunity you can get - no one wants to work with a boring guy!

Best of luck man.

16. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    You should also ask them questions to make it look like you are interested in the position.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Hi guys, I'm wide awake, gonna leave in half an hour. The way he speaks to me via gmail sounds friendly. he uses BTW, instead of by the way, or words like cool. I hope I can talk relaxed like that too. But thank you again guys. I'll post the results of the interview when I get back.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think you're getting too wound up about this. All you need to do before an interview is research the company.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I think you're getting too wound up about this. All you need to do before an interview is research the company.
    This, you will always be asked "why you want to work here" and more you know about the company the better. If they tell you anything about experience just mention that sure they could get someone with more experience but that means all thier bad habits and unwillingness to change while as someone with little to no can be shaped in the way you want a person to be.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Thanks Ixion, yep, I did that. Thanks all of you, I'm gonna head out now.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    So, I just got back and I think I got the job. No, I'm certain I got it. The conversation wasn't business generic at all, we were discussing film and the industry, and yes there were questions about what I can do and skills, but it generally really well over a poutine and some wings.

Thanks again guys, your comments have really helped a lot.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 05-14-2013 at 20:43.

23. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Great advise PSU good luck triple D sounds like it went well keep us posted

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSN ID
    duffman4pres
    good to hear the interview went well Dre, I'm gonna look into getting a similar film internship once l finish college. The pic is not my sig, l just keep seeing the scene in true romance where Clarence is telling himself to be cool in front of the mirror when you were looking for advice

http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-cont..._napkinweb.jpg

El Presidente
    Glad it went well Dre!

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    It well went thanks to you guys. Wish I could buy all a round of drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan13 View Post
    good to hear the interview went well Dre, I'm gonna look into getting a similar film internship once l finish college. The pic is not my sig, l just keep seeing the scene in true romance where Clarence is telling himself to be cool in front of the mirror when you were looking for advice

http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-cont..._napkinweb.jpg
    True Romance is a great film. Yeah, if you can get an internship, that'll be your foot in door, and will lead to greater things, just keep working hard and doing what you're doing atm.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Congratulations on the interview!

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    It well went thanks to you guys. Wish I could buy all a round of drinks.
    You can send me a good bottle of wine if you want :P

Thread Information