Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

[Opinion] Next Generation Franchises

At first I have to admit that I was quite excited to see the next generation happening at last and with it a new, Killzone game showing off what will be possible on the hardware. But soon after gathering my thoughts and returning back to my adult mind (The Playstation 4 announcement made me feel like a kid again!) - I began to wonder if, Sony is going to continue their campaign of milking successful games and turning them into long lasting franchises.

While many people are happy to have the sequel of the games they came to enjoy, having a fourth Killzone and a third, Infamous game as their debut games to compliment the Playstation 4 announcement only worries me that Sony won't attempt to put new IP's that will intrigue our interest at new universes to tell and experiences to experiment with.

Instead what I come to expect is to see in the future is, Killzone: Shadow Fall 2?, 3?; Infamous: Second Son part 2 and 3; God of War IV, V, VI; Gran Turismo 6, 7, 8.. and Uncharted 4, 5, 6.. as their flagship titles. While GT6 and Uncharted 4 are inevitable with the former being an exemption to this - God of War has been exhausted to the point that it needs to rest after, Ascension. Kratos had a good run and made his mark in the industry but Sony Santa Monica has the talent to make a new universe that we will all come to love.

Killzone is another franchise that will need resting after, Shadow Fall. After re-watching their debut gameplay I knew that these guys haven't improved after, Killzone 3 (You can say that the maps are bigger and graphics are eye candy but it doesn't play any better and instead I found it dull most of the time).

Naughty Dog's decision to work on a new IP is music to my ears with, The Last of Us and likewise it's turning out to be another title to remember. Overall I personally think that every game deserves at least one sequel/prequel and move on to a new game. Developers get bored of working on the same franchise so why not give their creative muscles a good workout with a new tale?

The industry as a whole should start to reconsider their options of prolonging the same concept. Recently we have seen franchises sell less than the last game: Ascension sold roughly over 300,000 units in the states in one month vs 1,100,000 in a week with God of War 3!. Dead Space 3, Gears of War: Judgment and Resistance 3 also didn't show stellar numbers compared to their last games(To name a few).

There are big risks involved with new IP's so I can somewhat understand their reasoning in milking franchises but with a new generation of consoles; powerful game engines and tools will lower their costs significantly. Coding and developing shouldn't be a major issue nor time consuming as a result so developers should have the liberty of being more creative like they should.

2. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I agree with you. We need new IPS. I def think the Killzone and GOW will get pumped out, but infamous and Uncharted prob not as those two game devs have the balls to take risk.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Defo need new IP and we will get new IP. The risks are mitigated to a degree at the start of the generation.

We will probably see the same that happens every gen happens again; the biggest franchises from old consoles, whilst still relevant, are no longer than dominant force and new games take over the mantle.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    About to go to sleep, but I indexed it. Will definitely read it tomorrow! Thanks for writing another opinion piece!

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I know they're third party, but what's Rocksteady up to in next gen?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Totally agree. I think because this gen last soo much longer, we were treated with plenty of sequelitis, not to mention how costly some of these AAA projects are now, it seems devs are more interested in the safe bet than taking a chance. It's getting as bad as the movie business in that regard, redo the same $#@! over and over, every once in awhile there's a true gem.

Numbers talk though. Once a series declines in numbers, they stop making them (i.e. Resistance). Like you, I'm really interested in what The Last of Us brings us, finally a game without Drake!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I fully agree with your post Fon

We need new series's and new fresh ideas and directions for new gen
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I agree with you, existing franchises are important.

But this is why Knack is the game that has me most excited.

There will always be new IPs. This gen: Uncharted, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, MotorStorm to name a few.

So I'm not too worried

El Presidente
    Agreed as well. I would be more excited to see new games showing off their new technology.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    Whilst i agree new IP's would be awesome, i couldnt help but be bugged by the comma use in this post.

Also Uncharted needs more Spin-offs. i want a Chloe game!
    There once was a man named Sidney, he used to collect shells on the beach. everything was going well for him. untill he stopped and took a look, he had a glance and a stare and realised he what he was reading.
    It was a forum signature full of nonsense

Thread Information