Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Vita: Sony exec hints at plans to turn console around

Sony’s recent prediction that it would sell less than 5 million Vitas during FY2014 is a worst case scenario, one executive has explained – with good chances for the portable to turn around.
    Speaking to Gamasutra, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe senior business development manager Shahid Kamal Ahmad – best known for his approachability and friendliness to indie developers – said Sony’s forecast for investors does not take account of upcoming initiatives which may see the platform’s performance improve.
    “Sometimes things can happen and they can dramatically change the evolution in terms of sales of a platform,” he said.
    “But what you can never do is say ‘We’re definitely counting for this kind of increase.’ So you can put plans into motion and say ‘We’re trying this approach, that approach,’ and if something comes off, it’s going to be fantastic.”
    Ahmad said one example of a surprising success is Thomas Was Alone, which was ported from PC to PS3 and Vita recently, and immediately become the best-selling game on the PSN.
    “I had no idea there was going to be the amount of press attention that there was around Thomas Was Alone,” he said.
    “If I’d put something like that in the original plan that I put together for engaging with the development community, I would have been laughed out of the office.
    “It’s really funny, because I’ve spoken to a few people about it today internally, and they’ve all accepted it as ‘Yeah, of course that was going to happen!’ So in hindsight it’s easy to say that this event and that event is what caused a change in course dramatically, but to say that in advance is usually not appropriate or sensible.”
    Ahmad said that he’s only a tiny part of Sony and can’t speak for its corporate performance, but suggested we not give up on the Vita yet.
    “Looking back at the performance of different consoles over the course of history, sometimes you’ve had slow starts which have been suddenly sprung into life by a number of activities,” he said.
    “What you don’t say ahead of time is, ‘Oh this will and that will happen, and suddenly we’ll have a massive spike in sales.’ It’s not the sort of thing that companies do.”
    Regarding the Vita’s games drought, the executive said that “there isn’t a console in history where making sure that you have content for it wasn’t an issue”. Interestingly, he said he doesn’t expect the PS4 to have as much trouble.
    “I think we’re going to have a really good launch, and I think we’re going to have a good amount of content appearing for quite some time on that,” he said.
    “We’ve got more developer engagement on PS4 than we’ve had for any previous console, so that’s a really healthy sign.”
    The rest of the article contains some interesting discussion of Sony’s new friendliness to indies; Ahmad is one of the most forthright executives in the industry at the moment, so his comments are well worth a read.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/14/vita-something-may-dramatically-change-handhelds-prospects-says-sony-
    exec/#comments

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Was one of those plans NOT including gt in the line-up?

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Needs more than Indie games to get the ball rolling.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Even these Kids understand.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    gumi42
    They definitely need a few big titles, IMPO it makes the PSP look like cow dung as far as the screen and functionality of it (IE two sticks). Killzone Mercenaries looks good which is coming later this year but man do we need a fallout, or GTA or God of War, something big to sell systems, otherwise they will never get devs to jump on board. Persona 4 Golden is just about the best game on it right now.
    Hard work never killed nobody but I ain't taking any chances

Master Guru
    At E3 they need some big titles announced come out with the big guns. Also a £50 price drop and drop the price of the memory cards and announce a 64GB mem card.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Harrow
    I can't really fault Sony for not trying to do a lot to make the Vita successful. One thing I would like to see is GOW Ascension for the Vita. On the PS3 Ascension is kind of "meh," but would have been a huge Vita release.

When Call of Duty is given to a no talent developer, Bioshock disappears, and Capcom won't release a handheld RE game for it - the Vita is getting crapped on by 3rd party developers big time.

PSN ID
    dragonlord510
    they need to add android app system or something idk. the vita is plenty powerful. just think the appeal of apps, and free games from apps would boast sales. if you see how well these free games work, and apps well hey you might want to play better games and bam more vita games bought. these days our attention span is to short for the amazing games the vita can be used for. the vita dosent deserve a back burner it is a heck a good system and i think givng it a wide app selection would bring so much more attention and evn make the g models worth it

Master Guru
    They need to ride the PS4 wave with the vita, show it working hand in hand with the PS4..

Have vita and PS4 bundles.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    They need more games for the Vita and they need to advertise the Vita more. That will make the sales increase.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I seriously hope Sony aren't just gonna rely on PS4 remote play and indies. Hopefully we get something big out of #jrpgvita. Either of the Tales games, Phantasy Star Online II or Final Fantasy Type-0 would be big.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I also want to add that they need to bring more colors to the NA and Europe. That may help it sell too.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm seeing an inverse function happening when it comes to Vita growth in the long long term. Yes, immediately, they do need to get aggressive with getting games out. In the long-term, they have an ace up their sleeve as PS+ membership drives up.

With the Instant Game Collection growing in the upcoming years, they will be in a situation where the games offered with the PS+ service supercede the cost of the unit itself. They will be in an incredibly strong position to push the Vita at lower pricepoints because the alternative for a PS+ membership is to walk away from an entire library of free games as well as a companion device that has all kinds of app functionality.

The Vita has a marathon ahead of it. People who may not give the Vita a second thought (AKA, PS4 owners with a 3DS for mobile gaming) may all of a sudden find themselves with a fist full of Vita games and no system to play them on. The long-tail game of the Vita is pretty epic, but they do need to keep it very strong up to that point and that will take some investment.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    sorry to say but I am sure vita will get all it needs, lots of jrpg but for Japan only

edit : Valhalla Knights 3 coming to vita? Amazing, taking back my words
    Last edited by Shingo; 06-14-2013 at 22:54.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

PSN ID
    aStRoRdInArY
    Ya, im sure itll continue to get a lot of support. unfortunately itll be titles 75% of people dont care about.
    If you add me on PSN, be sure to tell me you're from this forum

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items DoomVita
    It needs a decent CoD, that will bring more people to the format and that in turn will bring more 3rd partys. maybe Sony should drum up some partnership deals somewhere. Hell, Nintendo managed to secure a sequal to a game more Wii U owners probably never played. im sure Sony can trump that to massive levels

The King has Returned

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdfan View Post
    They need to ride the PS4 wave with the vita, show it working hand in hand with the PS4..

Have vita and PS4 bundles.
    I was expecting this at e3.. That would have made the $600-$700 price points some had suggested. I also believe serious integration with the PS4 would really help sales! If they can make that second screen indispensable....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks to Spyrde for the sig/avy

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Needs more than Indie games to get the ball rolling.
    I would buy Vita for awesome indie games.

That may help it sell too.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    I was expecting this at e3.. That would have made the $600-$700 price points some had suggested. I also believe serious integration with the PS4 would really help sales! If they can make that second screen indispensable....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Yeah you could have a bundle which is PS4, vita and a year sub to PS plus not sure of the price of that though.

Then with the PS plus sub they'd have PS4 and vita games to play instantly..

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    I would buy Vita for awesome indie games.
    You're in the minority as we can see by Vita's sales.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I want a game turn based strategy games, alot!!!
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Master Guru
    Really want an infamous game on vita

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I've played quite afew Indie games and while some are great, they are not what I bought the handheld console for. The likes of Thomas was alone, Sound shapes etc are alright but I want the triple A blockbusters and only afew games have shown what the Vita is capable of.

I personally want a couple of open world games like infamous and GTA with in depth stories and crisp graphics that play well, a Tomb raider, another couple of racers like something from the DiRT series or GT or just something on par with/better than NFS Most Wanted, a decent FPS (Killzone has alot of weight on its shoulders in terms of a decent FPS for the vita), a UC Golden Abyss sequel or a different IP from Bend, I could go on.

I imagined from the way Sony advertised the Vita that we'd be seeing more quality and a vast amount of titles that offer what I thought the console could offer. I thought that when I'd see an advert on TV for a game, as well as it saying available on 360, PS3 & PC, I thought PS Vita would be added to the list after how Sony was selling the handheld in conferences etc.

I know there's some excellent games but there's plenty of $#@! and I'm really starting to get tired of the lack of true quality.

Alot of people have been saying PS4 will help Vita sales because of remote play, which maybe true but you can't connect via remote play at 34,000ft on a plane or on a train service with poor signals etc and without remote play we're left with the same library of titles with still the missing gaps of more block buster titles.

Look at Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate for the Vita, perfectly capable of running a toned down version of the console counterpart, like NFS Most Wanted and AC Liberation but we get a side scrolling 2D game. It could be a damned good game but I know for sure I would prefer and appreciate a 3D open world toned down console port with cross play save or something along them lines.

I'll quit the waffle/mini rant now but I've defended the Vita since the launch date that I've had it and really starting to run out of excuses now for the games available for it. There's only so long you can keep reeling off the same list of games when people say it has no games. LBP, UC, Soul Sacrifice, Unit 13, MK etc etc.

26. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post

Thread Information