Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Inside Sony's indie initiative: How the hardware giant is courting small-team talent

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...die+initiative

Seriously, who woke up Good Guy Sony?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Like I said in the indie games on 360 thread I think most indie games are crap imo but this is good news to those that like them. Just not my cup of tea. But maybe some prospective talent can be nurtured out of this.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-15-2013 at 21:08.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Like I said in the indie games on 360 thread I think most indie games are crap imo but this is good news to those that like them. Just not my cup of tea. But maybe some prospective talent can be nurtured out of this.
    Most games are crap in general, haha. The rise of indie support is going to produce a lot more creative and quality titles, it's already excelling on the PC.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Soldier 95B
    I am glad to see them finally starting to embrace the indies as well. Great news for us gamers!

Elite Member
    The percentage of crappy indie games is the same as high budget games. The differences is that if an indie game is crappy(not to many sales) Sony or other publisher wont break the bank funding a small studio. Big studio and high budget game on the other hand from last gen prove to risky, not enough substance, quality, or technicality. Nothing but re-branded games with different colors and marketing hopping gamer won't notice. IMO Sony is doing good with this and in turn will get more talents for the PS4 brand = more games.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    The percentage of crappy indie games is the same as high budget games. The differences is that if an indie game is crappy(not to many sales) Sony or other publisher wont break the bank funding a small studio. Big studio and high budget game on the other hand from last gen prove to risky, not enough substance, quality, or technicality. Nothing but re-branded games with different colors and marketing hopping gamer won't notice. IMO Sony is doing good with this and in turn will get more talents for the PS4 brand = more games.
    I have to disagree with your first sentence. But like I also said perhaps prospective talent can be nurtured out of this.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-15-2013 at 22:24.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...die+initiative

Seriously, who woke up Good Guy Sony?
    Mark Cerny

8. Likes Raging fire, Lefein, Ghost likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I think embracing indie games the way Sony is doing assures us that this upcoming gen will not be 'more of the same'. I really am excited about the PS4.. Like, not the same way I was excited about the PS3. PS4 seems like it really is going to be special, and in its own way.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I gotta say too games try too hard now to be AAA just like every big budget movie tries to be this epic summer movie. For me the last 5-7 years Indie has really gotten more appealing. Making games for genres publishers wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole. Making games that make us think. Making games with a single concept but do it so well and make it fun you really dont need anything else to enhance that experience. Sony is smart as hell to embrace indie developers to make sure their games get on the platform.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I think embracing indie games the way Sony is doing assures us that this upcoming gen will not be 'more of the same'. I really am excited about the PS4.. Like, not the same way I was excited about the PS3. PS4 seems like it really is going to be special, and in its own way.
    Yeah I'm excited for PS4 as well. Seems like Sony is firing on all cylinders and doing everything right. And just because I'm not a big indie game fan doesn't mean that this isnt a good thing. Just want to clarify that.

Master Sage
    I agree, but if Sony, MS and Nintendo can sway them away from the god awful pay-to-win phone games then i'm all for it.

Soldier 95B
    Yeah I'm excited for PS4 as well. Seems like Sony is firing on all cylinders and doing everything right. And just because I'm not a big indie game fan doesn't mean that this isnt a good thing. Just want to clarify that.
    Indeed. The PS4 is looking to be a solid all around media and gaming powerhouse. Can't wait to start it up for the first time!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    I agree, but if Sony, MS and Nintendo can sway them away from the god awful pay-to-win phone games then i'm all for it.
    I'm with ya there.

Veteran
    I don't really fancy most Indie games out there, but I think this is good and the start to better games, some indie developers just need a push to get themselves started and make great games, this is their opportunity.

Master Guru
    That's what Sony does. Whether it's big budget blockbusters or small time indie games.

If it's worth having, Sony will green light it.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Indie games saved this generation for me.

Journey, Explodemon, Braid, Rainbow Moon, Tokyo Jungle, Unfinished Swan, Dyad, I've loved every single one of those games.

18. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    The pub fund has been around for years. Sony's always been about helping talented people make great games, it just seems to be more focused now, more initiative being taken, which is good. It's also worth keeping in mind that not every indie developer is a piss poor student (or just two or three guys) with a "new idea". There's pretty sizeable independent studio's out there with more popping up mainly because of crowd funding and I want Sony to focus on securing those games for PS4.

I am a little worried now with the trends, 90% of titles seem to be either AAA or small indie budget and not a whole lot in-between which is sad

Thread Information