Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

    Can I ask PSU college students something? REP+

    I have a question for PSU college students or PSU members who know about college. I will give REP to anyone who answers or tries to answer it.

    I want to take 17 semester hours in the Fall of 2013 at a university. My classes include:

    Chem Principles (pre req to general chemistry)
    Statistics
    Trignometry
    Immunology and Serology
    Cellular Physiology

    Now I did the calculations and based on that, to make ALL A's on 17 semester hours, you MUST put in 35 hours of studying per week. I broke that down into 5 hours daily. So basically I'd have to study every single day, 5 hours a day, if I expect to make A's and continue to have a high GPA.

    My question is, is that realistic for a student who has never went above 13 hours and never put that much studying into a week?

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  2. #2
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,971
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    154,076 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    It depends...are you autistic?

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  3. #3
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    It depends...are you autistic?
    No, but I do have a learning disability. My GPA is currently a 3.58.

    So do you think I can handle it?

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    ps3isawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,716
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    3,100 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    You can if you want it enough
    Vengeful is amazing<3


  5. #5
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,505
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    2,705 (0 Banked)
    To be honest, if you need more than your current studying time to achieve your GPA, you might need to change your studying habits. When you cram that much time into something, you risk burning out. Then again, this is coming from someone does worse, the more he studies and better when he puts in a quick session of an hour or two at the most per night.

    I also want to point out that your current allotted time seems to be working for you. Why mess it up?

  6. #6
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    To be honest, if you need more than your current studying time to achieve your GPA, you might need to change your studying habits. When you cram that much time into something, you risk burning out. Then again, this is coming from someone does worse, the more he studies and better when he puts in a quick session of an hour or two at the most per night.

    I also want to point out that your current allotted time seems to be working for you. Why mess it up?
    That is true. You can burn out really quickly like that. However, that's what the field I'm going in requires. After I get this Biology degree, I'm going straight into dental school, which is 4 more years.

    The reason why I am messing with my current time is because 17 hours is more than 12 semester hours. You have to study more because you have more classes. Also, I want to make as many A's as possible.

  7. #7
    Forum Elder
    RaY_210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,685
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    30,647 (0 Banked)
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    That's a lot of studying, but it's gonna depend on you. I don't know if a person can really keep up that kind of studying on a consistent basis. Are any of those your strong subjects? Do you work? How have you handled 13 hours? There's so many things to consider that there is no simple answer
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

  8. #8
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I don't work but I have legal income. I am good at math and science. I have made only 1 C throughout my whole college years.

  9. #9
    Forum Elder
    RaY_210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,685
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    30,647 (0 Banked)
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I have a question for PSU college students or PSU members who know about college. I will give REP to anyone who answers or tries to answer it.

    I want to take 17 semester hours in the Fall of 2013 at a university. My classes include:

    Chem Principles (pre req to general chemistry)
    Statistics
    Trignometry
    Immunology and Serology
    Cellular Physiology

    Now I did the calculations and based on that, to make ALL A's on 17 semester hours, you MUST put in 35 hours of studying per week. I broke that down into 5 hours daily. So basically I'd have to study every single day, 5 hours a day, if I expect to make A's and continue to have a high GPA.

    My question is, is that realistic for a student who has never went above 13 hours and never put that much studying into a week?
    When you say this, do you mean you made a ratio of how much you study now for 12/13 hours and compared it to 17 hours?
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

  10. #10
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    When you say this, do you mean you made a ratio of how much you study now for 12/13 hours and compared it to 17 hours?
    No.

    You take your semester hours and multiply them by 2.5 or 3.

    So, I multiplied 17 hours times 3 and got 51.
    I spend 16 hours in the classroom every week, so subtract that from 51.
    That leaves 35 hours to study per week.

  11. #11
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,505
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    2,705 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    That is true. You can burn out really quickly like that. However, that's what the field I'm going in requires. After I get this Biology degree, I'm going straight into dental school, which is 4 more years.

    The reason why I am messing with my current time is because 17 hours is more than 12 semester hours. You have to study more because you have more classes. Also, I want to make as many A's as possible.
    While I agree that more classes equates to more studying, it's less than you may think you need.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I don't work but I have legal income. I am good at math and science. I have made only 1 C throughout my whole college years.
    This gives a better picture. I think you can add a few hours to your current studying but you may want to change your ratios a bit. Study more on the subjects you're unfamiliar or less disciplined in and a bit less on those you're more disciplined in. If you're more proficient in math and science trade about 25-33 percent of that time and distribute it towards the other courses. I don't think you need as much as 35 hours a week. Try and recalibrate yourself accordingly.

  12. #12
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    15,937
    Rep Power
    136
    Points
    84,437 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My cousin had to take 17 hour semesters and he quit college after 3 semesters. I saw what it was doing to him. Don't do it. It's not worth it unless you somehow enjoy stress and not having any free time.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 05-16-2013 at 01:52.

  13. #13
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,133
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    6,879 (0 Banked)
    I concur with Morganator. You seem to have a good system going, which is excellent. That obviously doesn't mean that it is bound to fail if changed, but it would require some sacrifices of time and the adoption of another system. Thankfully, you seem to have been able to get a routine down, which means it'll be easier for you to master a new routine as opposed to someone who generally doesn't plan things out.

    As others have mentioned, it's possible that such a change would cause you to burn out, but it really comes down to the amount you're willing to sacrifice and your commitment to achieving your goals. If you want it badly enough, you'll spend those five hours per day studying, and you won't burn out because you'll be making sacrifices and ensuring you get adequate sleep. So it certainly is possible, you just need to really consider whether or not you're ready to make that kind of daily commitment.

    It won't be easy, but if you know you're dedicated, go for it!

    Best of luck.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  14. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
  15. #14
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,971
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    154,076 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    No, but I do have a learning disability. My GPA is currently a 3.58.

    So do you think I can handle it?
    How well did you do with 13 hours? Do you feel you were spread too thin with that many hours? If 13 didn't phase you then you could probably handle 17. Just be sure not to burn yourself out! I know personally 17 hours would wear me out!

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  16. #15
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,505
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    2,705 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I concur with Morganator. You seem to have a good system going, which is excellent. That obviously doesn't mean that it is bound to fail if changed, but it would require some sacrifices of time and the adoption of another system. Thankfully, you seem to have been able to get a routine down, which means it'll be easier for you to master a new routine as opposed to someone who generally doesn't plan things out.

    As others have mentioned, it's possible that such a change would cause you to burn out, but it really comes down to the amount you're willing to sacrifice and your commitment to achieving your goals. If you want it badly enough, you'll spend those five hours per day studying, and you won't burn out because you'll be making sacrifices and ensuring you get adequate sleep. So it certainly is possible, you just need to really consider whether or not you're ready to make that kind of daily commitment.

    It won't be easy, but if you know you're dedicated, go for it!

    Best of luck.
    Exactly. It ultimately boils down to commitment. Still, changing things up can lead to better (or worse) outcomes. It can go either way.

  17. #16
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,128
    Rep Power
    245
    Points
    149,365 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's about how you retain the information you need, rather than try and calculate how much time to study by the formula used in the OP. What would take me days to learn, you might be able to learn and retain in just an hour.




  18. Likes Steve likes this post
  19. #17
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,133
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    6,879 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's about how you retain the information you need, rather than try and calculate how much time to study by the formula used in the OP. What would take me days to learn, you might be able to learn and retain in just an hour.
    Good point. I know people who can learn and remember the most ambiguous mathematical equations and calculations, but the moment they enter a language or history classroom, they're helpless. Then there's me, the reverse of that. The calculations made can definitely be helpful in helping determine how long you will be spending studying each night, but you have to consider the way you learn, the subjects and how easily you tend to retain that information.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  20. #18
    Dedicated Member
    PS3-The Ultimate Machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,207
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    2,082 (0 Banked)
    I agree with Morganator in that 17 semester hours won't necessarily take you 35 hours of studying per week, extrapolating like that will lead to exaggerations. Do you have an idea of how your lectures will be divided throughout the week? Like how many days of lectures, days off, longest lecture days etc.

  21. #19
    El Presidente
    podsaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    in a box
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,972
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    25,148 (0 Banked)
    Can I ask first why you are taking 17 credit hours?

    I have to tell you even now I'm only taking 4 classes per semester and it's a good amount of work. But I can commit more time to each instead of spreading myself thin with lots of classes and material to know. I do better with my grades, less is more for me. It's only going to get more rigorous as I take more difficult classes. Even with just chem and trig I think you would be killing yourself with that, let alone all the other classes(science is good but I'm terrible with math so ok I would do terribly with that). I don't personally think your should try to take on that much unless for whatever reason there is no way around it.

    If all you want to do is study, eat and breathe for these classes then go ahead. I don't know how you study but I don't and can't sit for hours looking at notes. I think about what I've learned even when I'm not looking at my notes. A lot of the time I'm able to better understand something when I don't look at my notes and I'm just thinking about the info, working my way through understanding it.

    So those are my thoughts on it.

  22. #20
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Having completed 2.5 years of Biochemistry, and having switched to an 18 credit semester of Communication Studies that I just finished, I can give you a little context here.

    The load you suggested, keeping in mind those types of classes, specifically, sounds difficult but not impossible. I can't speak for you or your study habits, but that whole "college formula" of needing to study a certain amount of time per week based on your number of credits is mostly bullsh**. You definitely have to put in more hours as your credit load increases, but there's no formula to it--some classes hardly require anything more than a couple hours of reading on weekends, while you'll be digging into others every night.

    I've had 14, 15, and 16 credit semesters in my Biochemistry major, times when I was taking (for example) Organic Chemistry, Biology, Biology lab, a science elective, and a performance arts elective at the same time. I've been a straight-A student throughout college (well, had an A- in one of those semesters) and I never had to put in that formulaic "exact" number of studying. I think going by the classes and what kind of content/workload you intuitively expect is a far better gauge.

  23. #21
    Superior Member
    TEJ2025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    1,603 (0 Banked)
    I just took 18 hours last semester (5 major courses and 1 minor course) and it was difficult. If your college is anything like mine then the worst part will be when you have 2-3 tests on the same day and the projects adding up towards the end of the semester (I had 4 projects and 3 tests the last 2 weeks of school and 5 finals in two days). If you think you can handle that then go for it but last semester was my most stressful one and has made me not want to go back. I am of course because I'm almost done and I'm taking less classes.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

  24. #22
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,255
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    490,065 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I always take 17 semester hours. I don't always get A+ but my GPA is good right now. Its tough work though, and you have to be prepared to sacrifice a lot of free time.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  25. #23
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,505
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    2,705 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    Having completed 2.5 years of Biochemistry, and having switched to an 18 credit semester of Communication Studies that I just finished, I can give you a little context here.

    The load you suggested, keeping in mind those types of classes, specifically, sounds difficult but not impossible. I can't speak for you or your study habits, but that whole "college formula" of needing to study a certain amount of time per week based on your number of credits is mostly bullsh**. You definitely have to put in more hours as your credit load increases, but there's no formula to it--some classes hardly require anything more than a couple hours of reading on weekends, while you'll be digging into others every night.

    I've had 14, 15, and 16 credit semesters in my Biochemistry major, times when I was taking (for example) Organic Chemistry, Biology, Biology lab, a science elective, and a performance arts elective at the same time. I've been a straight-A student throughout college (well, had an A- in one of those semesters) and I never had to put in that formulaic "exact" number of studying. I think going by the classes and what kind of content/workload you intuitively expect is a far better gauge.
    No offense and not to derail the thread but you don't by any chance, happen to work at Monsanto Corporation, do you? Just asking cause they're on my $#@! list of corporations.

    Anyway, back on topic.

  26. #24
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3-The Ultimate Machine View Post
    I agree with Morganator in that 17 semester hours won't necessarily take you 35 hours of studying per week, extrapolating like that will lead to exaggerations. Do you have an idea of how your lectures will be divided throughout the week? Like how many days of lectures, days off, longest lecture days etc.
    I haven't registered yet. I register at orientation next week.

    I made up what I want my schedule to be and so far I'm going to classes all 5 days.

  27. #25
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Can I ask first why you are taking 17 credit hours?
    Dental school looks for their applicants to take 15 semester hours plus every semester. I made out a schedule and had 13 hours. I added one more relevant class and the class happens to count for 4 credit hours. I still have only 5 classes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.