Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I have a question for PSU college students or PSU members who know about college. I will give REP to anyone who answers or tries to answer it.

I want to take 17 semester hours in the Fall of 2013 at a university. My classes include:

Chem Principles (pre req to general chemistry)
    Statistics
    Trignometry
    Immunology and Serology
    Cellular Physiology

Now I did the calculations and based on that, to make ALL A's on 17 semester hours, you MUST put in 35 hours of studying per week. I broke that down into 5 hours daily. So basically I'd have to study every single day, 5 hours a day, if I expect to make A's and continue to have a high GPA.

My question is, is that realistic for a student who has never went above 13 hours and never put that much studying into a week?
    If you are VERY strong at math and science then it might not be a problem, but you will very likely be exhausted at the end of a semester like that.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    No offense and not to derail the thread but you don't by any chance, happen to work at Monsanto Corporation, do you? Just asking cause they're on my $#@! list of corporations.

Anyway, back on topic.
    No idea what that is, sorry

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    No idea what that is, sorry
    The biggest producer/supplier of GMO seeds and foods. Anyway, I think you should look it up. If you wanna know more from me, just PM me.

Dedicated Member
    I haven't registered yet. I register at orientation next week.

I made up what I want my schedule to be and so far I'm going to classes all 5 days.
    It's probably doable, since you said that you're good at math and biology. The most important thing for you is to be able to concentrate on your studies completely, and if you're spread too thin, then that becomes an enormous hurdle in achieving the former.

But if you do get 5 lecture days a week, then that averages to 3.2 lecture hours for five days, plus your hypothetical (frankly a bit exaggerated because of the extrapolation you chose, no offence) 5 hours of studies make it 8.2 hours for 5 days of nothing of studying. Realistically it'll probably range from 7-9 hours since not all days will have equal length lectures.

I personally think, that if you have a knack for the subjects you're taking, then you won't need to study more than 3-4 hours a day. I don't know for the Bio-related subjects, but Trigonometry won't eat into your study time, since it's only about dedicating some time (1-1.5 hours) a day, to just practice what you've learnt. You need to look at it on a subject by subject basis, and then decide how much time it'll realistically take you to do an average day's work, based on your past experiences in those subjects.

Even if it turns out to be around 5 hours, then you can easily manage it by splitting your studies into 2-3 parts during the entire day. Depending on how spread out your lectures will be during the day, you can fit in your study hours accordingly. Personally, I do think it's realistic that you'll be able to get straight As in a 17-hour semester aswell. It'll require more effort than a 13-hour semester, but I feel that the experience will be invaluable to you for making these decisions in the future.

Just make sure to set aside 2-3 hours of your day for rest and relaxation. I had this really great english professor in College (well, High School by american educational standards), he told all of us one very important thing about higher studies and that was the fact that it's important to never compromise on your time of leisure, so long as you have enough time to unwind everyday, you shouldn't have a problem in putting in the extra effort. Well, at least that's my point of view.

Best of Luck for whatever you choose to go ahead with.

El Presidente
    Dental school looks for their applicants to take 15 semester hours plus every semester. I made out a schedule and had 13 hours. I added one more relevant class and the class happens to count for 4 credit hours. I still have only 5 classes.
    You must be taking 2 classes worth 4 credits? Because one 4 credit class plus four 3 credit classes give you only 16 total. There is an extra credit in there somewhere right?

Man five classes two of which are 4 credits and the schedule overall being math and science heavy...I could never handle that. I hope you're as strong in math and sci as you say you are because I would bomb everything especially the math. Sci I could do better with but the math portions...ugh!

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    You must be taking 2 classes worth 4 credits? Because one 4 credit class plus four 3 credit classes give you only 16 total. There is an extra credit in there somewhere right?

Man five classes two of which are 4 credits and the schedule overall being math and science heavy...I could never handle that. I hope you're as strong in math and sci as you say you are because I would bomb everything especially the math. Sci I could do better with but the math portions...ugh!
    Yes, that is correct. The two Bio classes are worth 4 credits.

I decided that I am going to drop the Stats. So I'll be taking 14 credits. I found out Dental schools don't have babies if you don't take exactly 15 hours every single time. 14 hours won't bite.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Thread Information