Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Clever use for touchpad

It just came to me, and I'm in no way saying this is leaked info or anything other than just my own idea for the PS4 gamepad. If there is an integrated video chat feature in the PS4 (very likely) wouldn't it make sense if the touchpad could resize and move the video pop-up around the screen so that it doesn't get in the way of whatever game you are playing's User Interface?

I wonder if even Sony has thought of that.

2. Likes D3seeker, Bitbydeath likes this post
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    It just came to me, and I'm in no way saying this is leaked info or anything other than just my own idea for the PS4 gamepad. If there is an integrated video chat feature in the PS4 (very likely) wouldn't it make sense if the touchpad could resize and move the video pop-up around the screen so that it doesn't get in the way of whatever game you are playing's User Interface?

tell you what that is a quality post and idea ive also been trying to think of a suitable use for the pad and I genuinely believe you've hit on something there
    I also think some kind of Android connectivity may come into play with some Smartphones hence the tactile touch pad
    P S N user name birdyboy . . . THE LAST OF US WOW! !!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    There is no way to make accurate touching from so small touchpad for a 50" tv. It maybe used for strategy games or all those brain training games.Again it is too small, really wonder why it is there...
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Does seem like a good use and will be easy to move about very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    There is no way to make accurate touching from so small touchpad for a 50" tv. It maybe used for strategy games or all those brain training games.Again it is too small, really wonder why it is there...
    The size of screen is irrelevant its resolution that matters.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-16-2013 at 10:42.

6. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Apprentice
    There is no way to make accurate touching from so small touchpad or a 50" tv. It maybe used for strategy games or all those brain training games.Again it is too small, really wonder why it is there...
    that's a possibility however I believe it will be used more for the operation of menus r as the O P mentioned

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    I was thinking for throwing grenaids, setting objectives for squads like in Mass Effect or for a variety of in screen options, like have six item slots and grid the pad into 3 (but you said six, what?) and have flick upwards for row 1 and down for row 2. something like that? or perhaps for Melee kills, flick or poke for whatever action you want. sideways flick for a slash, poke for a stab, or if ya feeling hardcore then press both thumbs down for killzone style eyegorge!

Admit it, the idea of pressing both thumbs for an eyegorge is awesome and you want it...
    There once was a man named Sidney, he used to collect shells on the beach. everything was going well for him. untill he stopped and took a look, he had a glance and a stare and realised he what he was reading.
    It was a forum signature full of nonsense

9. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    If I've learned anything from working from a Lenovo laptop, it's that you can have pretty impressive control on a small mousepad. As was pointed out, the resolution of the pad is a big factor... And also, the bigger the screen the easier it will be for drag and drop operations.

I imagine the DS4 might actually be a decent controller for RTSes if it is implemented well.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Don't forget it still has sixaxis motion

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If I've learned anything from working from a Lenovo laptop, it's that you can have pretty impressive control on a small mousepad. As was pointed out, the resolution of the pad is a big factor... And also, the bigger the screen the easier it will be for drag and drop operations.

I imagine the DS4 might actually be a decent controller for RTSes if it is implemented well.
    I was meaning the resolution playstation is outputting. Physical Screen size doesn't matter since the resolution will be the same for a 20 inch and 100 inch screen e.g 1920 x 1080.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yeah that's not a bad idea Lefein. I'm really curious outside of basic uses, how will they get some unique use out of the pad. Creative thinking will make this thing catch on better than some gimmick like the six axis turned out to be.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

PSN ID
    JohnB405

Bravo!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I was meaning the resolution playstation is outputting. Physical Screen size doesn't matter since the resolution will be the same for a 20 inch and 100 inch screen e.g 1920 x 1080.
    I was talking about the resolution of the mousepad.

Soldier 95B
    I like that idea personally.

Apprentice
    How about add a stylus and it can be a very useful pad for creating items on Media Molecules next PLAY CREATE SHARE game?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    They need to pay you for this idea. And maybe hire you for R&D

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    They need to pay you for this idea. And maybe hire you for R&D
    do I sense a touch of sarcasm in your post by any chance. ?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I navigate my living-room pc with a touchpad the size of a SILVER DOLLAR. On a 60 inch HDTV.

Sure, it wouldn't be too effective to use with traditional console games.. but it opens up potential for a lot of pc and ipad/tablet-type games.

Adding touch to the controller is a brilliant idea. Lets see how well it plays out, come release day.
    Last edited by K2D; 05-20-2013 at 00:34.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Thread Information