• Fancy graphics but 30fps@1080p

18 52.94%
  • 'Norma' graphics but 60fps@1080p

16 47.06%
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

I need to know: Frame rate vs Graphics

So we're getting closer and closer to the new generation - hurray!!

Games will be looking better, there is no question about that but I need to know, what matters to you?
    Do you value frame-rate over graphical goodness or do you not care for the frame rate as long as you have the eye-candy?

Personally I think I care more for a higher frame rate (60 and upwards) than i do for prettier graphics simply because i feel the fluid feeling you get from a game that is at a higher framerate does far more for gameplay than prettier graphics adds to it.

There isn't anything wrong with a game running at a stable 30fps however I just feel that 60fps should be the minimum target for games.

What is your take on this?

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    60fps camp here

For shooters, racers, fighters, 60fps adds more to the game than any amount of fancy graphics. In fact they just feel wrong below 60. Racers and fighters especially. Third person games/RPG's are fine at 30fps and I'd take the better graphics with those than a better update

Forum Sage
    More or less how i feel. Though I'd take every genre at 60fps. You are right, some genres it doesn't matter as much as others but I still think i'd take 60fps over better graphics 9 times out of 10

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    60fps FTW!

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    30FPS, I can see a difference when it comes to 60FPS but since the majority of games I've played over the years were PAL @ 25FPS it's pretty much the norm for me now. I want to see high end graphics from new consoles than higher framerates.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Sage
    That's fair enough I suppose. I just get bugged out by the lack of responsiveness when playing a game at 30fps. Not even nice graphics can sway me from smooth gameplay

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    30FPS is perfectly playable.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Flaw3d Genius
    60FPS!!!!!

I'd be more than happy at 60fps 720p

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Really depends on the pace of the game, but it is annoying going back to a 30FPS game after playing on higher framerates.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    60fps for the win. Games that don't need split-second choices such as RPGs should push graphics further and keep a stable 30fps. Meanwhile, FPS, racing games and fighters should all have 60fps, regardless of graphic detail, fidelity and whatnot.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    30FPS is perfectly playable.
    It's certainly playable, it doesn't make it nice though

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    60FPS!!!!!

I'd be more than happy at 60fps 720p
    I agree. Just because frame rate makes a bigger impact on gaming than a higher resolution does.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Really depends on the pace of the game, but it is annoying going back to a 30FPS game after playing on higher framerates.
    I think that is what my problem is now. I've gotten used to playing games at 60fps so anything less really bothers me. People always say I overreact when I say it but 30fps really does feel slow when you play it. it's only a few frames away from being a slideshow!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    60fps for the win. Games that don't need split-second choices such as RPGs should push graphics further and keep a stable 30fps. Meanwhile, FPS, racing games and fighters should all have 60fps, regardless of graphic detail, fidelity and whatnot.
    I agree some genres should push the graphic envelope that little bit more but I still don't think the genre of a game should be an excuse for the framerate it sustains.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I don't mind 30 FPS if it means a very pretty game with better AI and all the bells and whistles that go along with processing power. I've played 30 FPS for years and I honestly don't see the problem with them. I could understand if they were an unplayable mess...but that's not the case. Do i like 60 FPS? Yes. Could I live without it? Yup.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

13. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Graphics all the way.

We've seen the concessions that had to be made to get 60fps games this gen with consoles, I don't think those concessions will go away with the next generation.

Soldier 95B
    60fps FTMFW

Forum Sage
    It's hard really. It would be nice if we could get both but I don't see the developers going for it But for me i know i'd take the higher framerate if it means choosing between ultra and high settings

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm fine with better graphics at 30 frames per second at 1080p. Playing a game at 60 frames per second is definitely a neat experience that everyone should try out at least once, but it's not as important to me as the attention to detail developers could put into their open world environments or the kind of dynamic A.I. you could program into various NPCs.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-16-2013 at 19:52.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Veteran
    IMO next-gen games that are 1080p/30fps should offer you the choice of that or 720p/60fps in the video options menu, maybe with some other things like AA being disabled. Nothing complicated or confusing just one little switch. I don't see how it could be much of a problem with most games these days running on scalable engines and the fact that many PS4 games will essentially be the same code as the PC version.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    IMO next-gen games that are 1080p/30fps should offer you the choice of that or 720p/60fps in the video options menu, maybe with some other things like AA being disabled. Nothing complicated or confusing just one little switch. I don't see how it could be much of a problem with most games these days running on scalable engines and the fact that many PS4 games will essentially be the same code as the PC version.
    1080p or bust. 720p is so last generation.

20. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    If you play with a mouse and keyboard than 60fps is required or else there is horrendous lag. 30fps is easier with a controller.

Anyway, I choose 30fps@1080p with all the latest bells and whistles

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    60 LOL I used to try double at least when I had a 60Hz monitor The reason was because close to 60FPS with sync off the screen tears bad and I noticed the more above 60 the less that tearing occurs.
    But now with a 144Hz monitor that effect is lessened so anything around 60 is pretty much fine I find

When I played bad company 2 Back when I had dual core E8400 clocked to 3.7GHz and AMD 5770 I dropped the resolution to 1024x768 and minimum graphics to get around 70FPS.

When I play BF3 I do so on minimum graphics at 1080p so it rarely drops below 60FPS.

The latest Tomb Raider game I pretty much maxed out and played with no less than 30FPS but no more than 60, probably averaged in the low 50s.

I can play Quake live on the best settings with 125FPS no problem (hell even phones can) but I tend to use "competition mode" which makes the graphics look $#@!.

Also I played way more Gran Turismo 5 in the standard crappy looking cars than in the premium cars, there are loads more fun cars that are standard than fancy premium and since I drive in "bumper cam" I never saw the car.

I think its safe to say I care not about fancy graphics.

TLDR

Frame rate over bling.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-17-2013 at 01:07.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    For single player sure I agree. For playing online when I don't really care about extra resolution or graphics, I'd like a choice. Would prefer to play BF4 @ 720p60fps than 1080p30fps.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    For single player sure I agree. For playing online when I don't really care about extra resolution or graphics, I'd like a choice. Would prefer to play BF4 @ 720p60fps than 1080p30fps.
    That's an interesting thing, would be good if games would allow you to do that. But then that is edging into PC territory with tinkering of settings to get decent performance. unless of course it was just a toggle switch for one or the other.

It would actually be really good if they allowed games to do this

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    That's an interesting thing, would be good if games would allow you to do that. But then that is edging into PC territory with tinkering of settings to get decent performance. unless of course it was just a toggle switch for one or the other.

It would actually be really good if they allowed games to do this
    Yeah I'm literally just talking a single toggle switch to keep it as simple as possible.

A few games this gen have made slight inroads into this territory. You can turn AA off on console version of BF3 for better stability and I heard Bioshock Infinite has a few extra settings too.

Friendship is Carrots
    I greatly prefer 60fps on the PC, but it's negligible on consoles. 30fps is either unnoticeable or less apparent when you use a controller. With a mouse and keyboard, you can look around blazingly fast, and you need your framerate to keep up. This isn't really the case on console games, where you move within a confined speed limit with the analog stick.

I think with this coming gen, though, it won't really matter. It looks like console graphics are finally moving past their puberty stage. As long as the graphics are polished and not ugly, then I'm cool with it. Fix up those blocky shadows, toss a bit of AA on there, and cut out that ugly pop-in and we're good to go. (all glaring issues that became dramatically clear since I've been gaming on the PC) Even a 'normal' looking game will still be visually satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I agree, 1080p standard. Absolute. No arguing, developers. I'm $#@!ing sick of the blurry and jagged graphics. After playing on my PC, console games (resolution and lack of AA) hurt my eyes. If 1080p isn't standard (or very much common) next-gen then I'll be disappointed.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

El Presidente
    My requirements are that games do not lag and when there is a lot of action on screen that it doesn't take a sudden noticeable dip in frame rate. As long as the game doesn't look like someone just puked on my TV screen I don't care. Strike a good balance between the two please.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Thread Information