PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PSU's The Last of Us hands-on preview - set to be one of 2013's best PS3 games

Hi folks,

I was lucky enough to go hands-on with a new demo of The Last of Us this past week, which showcased two 'stages' - Lincoln and Pittsburgh. Both are fairly brief but offer a great example of the diversity of gameplay available in Naughty Dog's upcoming action-adventure, and I came away very impressed.

Be sure to check out the full preview here -- http://www.psu.com/a019445/The-Last-...best-PS3-games

From our latest hands-on with Naughty Dog’s hotly anticipated The Last of Us, it is abundantly clear that the Uncharted developer has successfully created a gripping action-adventure that is wholly distinct from the treasure-hunting, baddie-capping antics of Nathan Drake. And thank god for that, because The Last of Us is, by a country mile, shaping up to be one of the most compelling games you’ll play this year, let alone on Sony’s aging PlayStation 3.

Our latest hands-on with the game was separated into two distinct chunks: Lincoln and Pittsburgh. Fortunately, it’s clear this wasn’t an arbitrary choice on Naughty Dog’s part, as each ‘level’ offers its own distinct flavours, giving us an enjoyable--albeit brief--look at the different gameplay experiences available in The Last of Us.

To put it succinctly, Lincoln is The Last of Us in full-on exploration mode, with Joel and Ellie starting off in surrounding woodland before skulking through a creepily abandoned town. This being my first hands-on with the game (PSU's own Kyle Prahl went hands-on with The Last of Us in January, which you can read about here), I was immediately struck by the meticulous attention to detail in the visuals and animation. Joel and Ellie remind you right away this is very much a Naughty Dog game; each character boasts some characteristic behaviors, and much like Nathan Drake, they don’t sit around stiffly and lifelessly. Ellie whistles quietly and wipes the blood off her combat knife. A few feet away, Joel adjusts his backpack and tends to his aching muscles. It’s subtle, sure, but it adds to the authenticity and believability of the pair, both superbly voiced and instantly likable.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Master Guru
    It seems like very rarely do we get a game the quality of The Last of Us in the mid year months of May-August.

That's how Sony rolls though. They put out blockbuster games year round.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I'm willing to guess that The Last of Us will be THE best game of 2013. If not the best game period =p

PSN ID
    siftinglurker88
    yea or possibly gta 5. Both looking like great games

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Not entirely sure I want this on release day atm, if it's more open than Uncharted then I definitely will, but I'm not a big fan of corridor/linear games like Uncharted than only last 8ish hours. I like to explore in my games and go here and there not just go forwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Not entirely sure I want this on release day atm, if it's more open than Uncharted then I definitely will, but I'm not a big fan of corridor/linear games like Uncharted than only last 8ish hours. I like to explore in my games and go here and there not just go forwards.
    It's already been confirmed that it's more open than Uncharted. There are different paths to take, etc. Items to loot, etc.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Sounds good then, haven't really watched much/read much on it since I prefer to not spoil games.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    ^Oh, and it's Naughty Dog's longest game. I think it's around 15 hours.

You have to look for a more price worthy game (:

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Well I was gonna get Skyrim Legendary Edition next month but for $60 I'd rather get TLOU which is a brand new game. If it is a bit more open like you say ie. an area with difference places to visit rather than a corridor like Uncharted, then I'll be satisfied.

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Yeah, as I stated in the intro, this is nothing like Uncharted. The game is far more open and in Lincoln especially, you really had the opportunity to explore. In fact, it's quite crucial that you do, as you'll need the supplies and extra ammunition.

Combat is far more brutal too!
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I can clearly state that, Last of Us is one of the best games of its gen. But 2013 is fishy, it all depends on day 1 releases of ps4 and nextbox
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I can clearly state that, Last of Us is one of the best games of its gen. But 2013 is fishy, it all depends on day 1 releases of ps4 and nextbox
    A launch game? I doubt that, they've never been one of the top ever.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Super Elite
    I don't know. The more videos I've seen the less convinced I've become it'll be worth the full-priced entry. When ND plays the game it looks smooth, beautiful, ambitious, etc. When people play demos of the game, it looks clunky, the enemies stand in place a lot of the times, there were cheap jump-scares and seemingly stupid AI, and the UI continues to look worse. The same was true of Uncharted 3: great when being watched, pretty lame when you tried something outside of what ND intended.

I'm still anticipating it, but I don't think I'm going to buy it first thing.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    I haven't been excited from any game expect One Piece games ( which is my all time fav tv show ).

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    A launch game? I doubt that, they've never been one of the top ever.
    This time war is really on fire, lost of sony studios working on ps4 games ( possibly new ips), MS is slient for years, it is normal to expect something, isn't it ?
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I haven't been excited for any game expect One Piece games ( which is my all time fav tv show ).

This time war is really on fire, lost of sony studios working on ps4 games ( possibly new ips), MS is slient for years, it is normal to expect something, isn't it ?
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcedme View Post
    I don't know. The more videos I've seen the less convinced I've become it'll be worth the full-priced entry. When ND plays the game it looks smooth, beautiful, ambitious, etc. When people play demos of the game, it looks clunky, the enemies stand in place a lot of the times, there were cheap jump-scares and seemingly stupid AI, and the UI continues to look worse. The same was true of Uncharted 3: great when being watched, pretty lame when you tried something outside of what ND intended.

I'm still anticipating it, but I don't think I'm going to buy it first thing.
    How can you play a game outside of what the developer intended? U mean exploiting bugs? Every game has it, you can't honestly tell me there's a game that's 100% perfect in that aspect. I personally didn't find a single bug in the game, but that's because I don't go looking for them.

Or if you mean doing stuff like trying to melee an enemy in an akward position, then that's a whole different story. When I played Uncharted, all 3 ones, the animation was insanely flowy, nothing jerky or weird looking at all.

But if weird animations turns you off, then I wonder how you can like any games at all. Uncharted series has like one of the best animations out there.

Thread Information