Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

PS4 price revealed by Sony India, listing now removed!

http://www.psu.com/a019473/PS4-price...ng-now-removed

A product listing on the official Sony India website may have revealed the PlayStation 4 price ahead of its E3 2013 coming-out party.

The PlayStation faithful have been dying to know what PS4 looks like and how much it will cost since its reveal in February. The Sony India product page, which has since been removed, allegedly listed a base model of the console with a 250 GB hard drive for...

€399.

There are no currently available screengrabs of the now-missing product page. The news was seemingly first reported by German gaming site Playfront.de before being spotted by NeoGAF. There, forum posters indicate that, while 399 Euros converts to roughly 513 US dollars, a direct conversion is almost never valid for game console sales. Case in point: at launch, the PlayStation Vita sold for €250 and $250. Another example: the PlayStation 2 launched for $299 and "2990 French Francs, which is equivalent to 450 Euros."
    More details after the jump. Please support your homepage with views and comments--we'd love to see your thoughts, speculation, and analysis both here and in the comments of the article.

http://www.psu.com/a019473/PS4-price...ng-now-removed

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The saying goes $1 = 1

Countries using the Euro get shafted heavily.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-20-2013 at 19:18.

Forum Sage
    And countries using the pound even more so.

4. Likes keefy likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Sony's USA love , I hate most. high price, around 800$ for me then... No day one
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    http://www.psu.com/a019473/PS4-price...ng-now-removed More details after the jump. Please support your homepage with views and comments--we'd love to see your thoughts, speculation, and analysis both here and in the comments of the article. http://www.psu.com/a019473/PS4-price...ng-now-removed
    Any console selling for over $399 is going to have a rough time. $399 sounds about right.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The saying goes $1 = €1

There is no way a standard PS4 will be $400. Now if they require a contract/subscription of sorts it could be subsidized down to that amount.

Converting $400 from 2005 into 2013 dollars (inflation) is 476.25. Which basically means we should expect $500/€500 to be the price of entry.

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Any console selling for over $399 is going to have a rough time. $399 sounds about right.
    People are only too willing to shell out $600+ for smartphones and $500+ for tablets. I don't see next gen consoles having a rough time, especially since they will do much more than gaming.

Not to mention the normal "lifespan" of a console is 6-8 years which is much longer than a smartphone or "dumb" tablet.

PSU Live Streamer
    Well the early reports on rumored (key word) price points were $420 for the entry model and $520 for the alternate model. Guess we'll see what it turns out to be

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    People are only too willing to shell out $600+ for smartphones and $500+ for tablets. I don't see next gen consoles having a rough time, especially since they will do much more than gaming.

Not to mention the normal "lifespan" of a console is 6-8 years which is much longer than a smartphone or "dumb" tablet.
    Agreed

Ultimate Veteran
    The saying goes $1 = €1

Yeah, wasn't the premium PS3 599 Euros when it launched?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    There is no way a standard PS4 will be $400. Now if they require a contract/subscription of sorts it could be subsidized down to that amount. Converting $400 from 2005 into 2013 dollars (inflation) is 476.25. Which basically means we should expect $500/€500 to be the price of entry. People are only too willing to shell out $600+ for smartphones and $500+ for tablets. I don't see next gen consoles having a rough time, especially since they will do much more than gaming. Not to mention the normal "lifespan" of a console is 6-8 years which is much longer than a smartphone or "dumb" tablet.
    The launch of the PS3 pretty much dispels that theory. Console consumers drew the line where their comfort zone is.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-20-2013 at 19:46.

El Presidente
    Well if it's gonna be $500 then I'll just wait a while. I haven't got that kind of money to throw around. We'll see.

Ultimate Veteran
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6295359.stm

Euros to dollar 1:1 looking HIGHLY likely.

PSU Live Streamer
    The launch of the PS3 pretty much dispels that theory. Console consumers drew the line where their comfort zone is.
    Not sure I follow? PS3s were flying off the shelf where I live. There were ps3 draughts at launch where I live. I was lucky to get my hands on it.

As for his theory, my only disagreement is with his assessment of price based on inflation. Even though the dollar may not be worth the same. The components have also dropped in price making up for it.

Forum Sage
    When did the ps3 launch again?

In 2006. Before "modern" smartphones. Before tablets. Just before a major worldwide recession. And with competitors selling at significantly lower prices. And all it could do then was play games and HD movies in an unproven format.

Much has changed today. And this console generation has been unusually long. I don't see them having any issues at their price points (in the US/Eurozone) at least. Can't really speak about the UK/other countries without their pricing info. (You have to remember people in AU/NZ paid around 1K usd for their ps3's at launch) (Based on my USD/Euro price estimations, I'd say the ps4 will be somewhere between 425-500 pounds in the UK at launch)

Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Not sure I follow? PS3s were flying off the shelf where I live. There were ps3 draughts at launch where I live. I was lucky to get my hands on it.

As for his theory, my only disagreement is with his assessment of price based on inflation. Even though the dollar may not be worth the same. The components have also dropped in price making up for it.
    The only major cost that has significantly decreased is that for blu-ray drives. Everything else is either similar to the prices back when the 360/ps3 came out or have increased.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    When did the ps3 launch again? In 2006. Before "modern" smartphones. Before tablets. Just before a major worldwide recession. And with competitors selling at significantly lower prices. And all it could do then was play games and HD movies in an unproven format. Much has changed today. And this console generation has been unusually long. I don't see them having any issues at their price points (in the US/Eurozone) at least. Can't really speak about the UK/other countries without their pricing info. (You have to remember people in AU/NZ paid around 1K usd for their ps3's at launch) (Based on my USD/Euro price estimations, I'd say the ps4 will be somewhere between 425-500 pounds in the UK at launch) Though
    I disagree with you. Thats a different market than your average console consumer. This is interesting though. http://www.giantbomb.com/playstation...e-ps4-1425643/

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Most people I know did not pay 600 for their smart phone it came "free" with their contract.

17. Likes KyleOnTheRun likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Not sure I follow? PS3s were flying off the shelf where I live. There were ps3 draughts at launch where I live. I was lucky to get my hands on it. As for his theory, my only disagreement is with his assessment of price based on inflation. Even though the dollar may not be worth the same. The components have also dropped in price making up for it.
    They weren't flying off the shelves here. Its universally known in the industry that PS3 had a rough launch due to the price. And Sony had to do some early price drops.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-20-2013 at 20:03.

PSU Live Streamer
    The only major cost that has significantly decreased is that for blu-ray drives. Everything else is either similar to the prices back when the 360/ps3 came out or have increased.
    The bluray drive was the leading factor behind the loss Sony took on ps3 sales. With that no longer the issue, their loss (if any) on the release of the ps4 will be almost non-existent. Because don't forget, these companies usually take a loss on the hardware in hopes that the software/peripheral sales make up for it.

Inflation still won't be a factor. If it was a factor....then it would be a factor at the individual component level and not the complete unit level. Last I checked my local pc parts store, they haven't been increasing/decreasing prices on parts on a monthly basis to keep up with the trends on wall street.
    Last edited by shepard; 05-20-2013 at 20:05.

Master Guru

Launch price for PS3 over here in the UK was 425 i believe (thats what i got it for anyway), so basically its a similar price, if not the same as its pretty much 1 to 1 Euro at the moment.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The bluray drive was the leading factor behind the loss Sony took on ps3 sales. With that no longer the issue, their loss (if any) on the release of the ps4 will be almost non-existent. Because don't forget, these companies usually take a loss on the hardware in hopes that the software/peripheral sales make up for it.
    Thats true.

Forum Sage
    Most people I know did not pay 600 for their smart phone it came "free" with their contract.
    In the end they end up paying much more than 600 on their smartphone contract. Assuming they even have a contract (most Europeans don't).

So my point still stands.

The increased costs will come from the GPU, CPU and 8GB of GDDR5 among other things. They won't have an issue with blu-ray drive costs, the cost increased are elsewhere.

Inflation still won't be a factor. If it was a factor....then it would be a factor at the individual component level and not the complete unit level. Last I checked my local pc parts store, they haven't been increasing/decreasing prices on parts on a monthly basis to keep up with the trends on wall street.
    Those increases still occur, though not as fast as you think.

Also physical retail stores tend to see things for more than online retailers, so they don't have to adjust their price as much.

one example: (more macro than micro, but still useful)

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130508PD222.html

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    No way is that the correct price... The console will go for a higher price
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    $399 and I'm there

PSU Live Streamer
    The increased costs will come from the GPU, CPU and 8GB of GDDR5 among other things. They won't have an issue with blu-ray drive costs, the cost increased are elsewhere.
    The GPU and CPU will be a single chip in the ps4. So that may or may not come at a cost reduction depending on how that type of technology is valued. The GDDR ram will be a shared memory platform for both the GPU and CPU meaning there will only be one memory type in the console. Once again turning the cost of two components and making it one. HDDs are cheap these days, so meh. Blurays as you've noted have dropped in price, so meh.

They aren't including backwards compatible hardware this time around, so there is cost savings there also.

With the reduction in the number of components, the console itself could theoretically be smaller. We already know it will require less power and cooling, so that unit will likely be smaller and cheaper.

Sorry. I don't see the system being overly expensive. Does that mean it won't be? Not really. Alot of the time the industry will hypothesis a product value that they believe will be high enough to make money on, but cheap enough so that they can still sell reasonably. Will sony take on that practice? Or continue to sell at a loss like they have been? Or will the component cost of the ps4 be so reasonable that they can sell in the $400-$500 price range, not take a loss, and still have ample sales figures at launch.....

Time will tell
    Last edited by shepard; 05-20-2013 at 20:39.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    No way is that the correct price... The console will go for a higher price
    Doubt it APU is off the shelf meaning no real major cost in R&D for Sony, Blu-Ray is cheaper now, only expensive part is RAM which would be bought in bulk lowering costs

Thank you itachi

27. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    But i do see it at a price some may consider, well really ?
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information