Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    But i do see it at a price some may consider, well really ?
    I can easily see a 300-349.99 price tag at launch.

Thank you itachi

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    The GPU and CPU will be a single chip in the ps4. So that may or may not come at a cost reduction depending on how that type of technology is valued. The GDDR ram will be a shared memory platform for both the GPU and CPU meaning there will only be one memory type in the console. Once again turning the cost of two components and making it one. HDDs are cheap these days, so meh. Blurays as you've noted have dropped in price, so meh.

They aren't including backwards compatible hardware this time around, so there is cost savings there also.

With the reduction in the number of components, the console itself could theoretically be smaller. We already know it will require less power and cooling, so that unit will likely be smaller and cheaper.

Sorry. I don't see the system being overly expensive. Does that mean it won't be? Not really. Alot of the time the industry will hypothesis a product value that they believe will be high enough to make money on, but cheap enough so that they can still sell reasonably. Will sony take on that practice? Or continue to sell at a loss like they have been? Or will the component cost of the ps4 be so reasonable that they can sell in the $400-$500 price range, not take a loss, and still have ample sales figures at launch.....

Time will tell
    There are a lot of factors you are omitting or taking for granted in your analysis (manufacturing costs, quality control, variable component costs, ect.) And you have taken some unsubstantiated assumptions to be true/valid in your reasoning.

Not to mention Sony has a significant deficit accrued from the PS3 (among other gaming platforms) that will want to make up for (partly by minimizing the loss on the PS4 hardware at launch).

To do what I have stated and alluded to I don't see any reasonable way sony can charge less that 500 USD/EUROS and 425-500 pounds and achieve those goals.

Just doesn't seem feasible

Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    There are a lot of factors you are omitting or taking for granted in your analysis (manufacturing costs, quality control, variable component costs, ect.) And you have taken some unsubstantiated assumptions to be true/valid in your reasoning.

Not to mention Sony has a significant deficit accrued from the PS3 (among other gaming platforms) that will want to make up for (partly by minimizing the loss on the PS4 hardware at launch).

To do what I have stated and alluded to I don't see any reasonable way sony can charge less that 500 USD/EUROS and 425-500 pounds and achieve those goals.

Just doesn't seem feasible
    Considering Sony are targeting less then launch price of ps3, and ps3 has been profitable for a few years now.

Thank you itachi

Flaw3d Genius
    That's about 100 euro's more than i expected and thats for the base model? I call bull$#@!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Considering Sony are targeting less then launch price of ps3, and ps3 has been profitable for a few years now.
    500 USD is less than 599 USD.

500 Euro is less than 599 Euro

425+ pounds is not less than 425 pounds, but if sony keep with the tradition of the UK price being more expensive than that of the Eurozone, there is no way they can do less than 425 pounds.

Dat Guy
    500 USD is less than 599 USD.

500 Euro is less than 599 Euro

425+ pounds is not less than 425 pounds, but if sony keep with the tradition of the UK price being more expensive than that of the Eurozone, there is no way they can do less than 425 pounds.
    Guess your gonna be shocked when they reveal price, though doesn't matter to me it's a sony console. I'm willing to pay pretty much any price lol

Thank you itachi

PSU Live Streamer
    Manufacturing costs is already included in component costs. They are buying already manufactured hardware as they are not creating their own tech this time around. Manufacturing of the console itself is cheaper when they aren't trying to create their own tech.

Quality control of each component is tested by the manufacturer. The only testing Sony would need to perform is the console as a whole.

Variable component cost is what it is....variable. Neither you nor I can account for it either way. So just like you can say the ps4 will be higher price because of it....I can easily say the opposite.

At least this time around sony won't be dumping cash flow into R/D over unique tech like the cell processor and they won't be trying to change the industry media format. Then there is certain tech they already have in place and get to reuse again, such as wireless/rechargable controllers, etc.

We seemingly aren't going to see eye to eye in this matter, and thats fine. You believe it'll be more expensive. And I understand it could be more expensive. I'm not saying they won't release it at a price higher than $400. I just don't think we'll reach $600+ next gen like the ps3 did.
    Last edited by shepard; 05-20-2013 at 21:26.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I expect similar to the UK pricing logic for Sweden. 400 will translate to 4000kr (if not more) will in its turn is 460+.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Manufacturing costs is already included in component costs. They are buying already manufactured hardware as they are not creating their own tech this time around. Manufacturing of the console itself is cheaper when they aren't trying to create their own tech.

Quality control of each component is tested by the manufacturer. The only testing Sony would need to perform is the console as a whole.

Variable component cost is what it is....variable. Neither you nor I can account for it either way. So just like you can say the ps4 will be higher price because of it....I can easily say the opposite.

At least this time around sony won't be dumping cash flow into R/D over unique tech like the cell processor and they won't be trying to change the industry media format. Then there is certain tech they already have in place and get to reuse again, such as wireless/rechargable controllers, etc.

We seemingly aren't going to see eye to eye in this matter, and thats fine. You believe it'll be more expensive. And I understand it could be more expensive. I'm not saying they won't release it at a price higher than $400. I just don't think we'll reach $600+ next gen like the ps3 did.
    See my post in the teased price thread.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm hoping for $399 or less, but willing to pay $999 or less.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm hoping for $399 or less, but willing to pay $999 or less.

Veteran
    I'm pretty sure it'll be $499, which is not so cheap but not too expensive if they throw in a 500 HDD.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I can easily see a 300-349.99 price tag at launch.
    But that is still a low price for what they deem a no profit margin for them to achieve... Profit= higher price for a next gen console

It's worked like that for decades
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Flaw3d Genius
    Also 250gb hard drive? That wont happen...Games will be around 30-50gb so that's 5 or 6 games you can install then your harddrive is full? Base model will be 500GB at the very least!!

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I can see my self spending $399 on day 1 launch

Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    But that is still a low price for what they deem a no profit margin for them to achieve... Profit= higher price for a next gen console

It's worked like that for decades
    Sony has never made profit on hardware sales at launch only software and unlike ps3 the hardware won't cost 600-700 will cost alot less.

Thank you itachi

Super Elite
    I see them announcing at about 450 and a price drop Christmas 2014.

I don't see how they could sell a 250gb PS4 at $500 you will be shafted if they do.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

PS4 price revealed by Sony India, listing now removed!

450 is like 4550kr. I'm prepared to pay somewhere around there. I would prob pay 500 for the best version.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Flaw3d Genius
    You guys are crazy....we are in the worst recession the world has ever know and you think Sony will bring a games console out at 450...not a chance in hell the ps3 didnt even cost that. The very max a ps4 will cost will be 350

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I'll pay anything for it to be honest. If it were 600 I'd buy it but I doubt it'll be anything near that. I thnk it'll be around 400.

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    You guys are crazy....we are in the worst recession the world has ever know and you think Sony will bring a games console out at 450...not a chance in hell the ps3 didnt even cost that. The very max a ps4 will cost will be 350
    Holy hyperbole Batman!
    At least I hope you are saying that as hyperbole, because it is not even remotely true that this is the worst recession the world has ever known.

It isn't even the worst recession the United States has ever known, and we are only about 250 years old.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Yeah, wasn't the premium PS3 599 Euros when it launched?
    The PS3 60GB launched at 425 here in the UK..I expect the PS4 to be cheaper.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    will to pay pretty much any price..... the people saying that are either

a) $$$bags
    b)already saved up for ''PS3 second coming"
    c)are gonna be real upset when they announce the actual price

$400 - $500 USD is fine with me.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Sony has never made profit on hardware sales at launch only software and unlike ps3 the hardware won't cost 600-700 will cost alot less.
    Hench the price increase that will occur
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    The launch of the PS3 pretty much dispels that theory. Console consumers drew the line where their comfort zone is.
    Tablets/smartphones weren't as popular then as they are now. It's likely that if PS3 was $600 dollars now there would be no 'sticker' shock.

Thread Information