Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 94
  1. #51
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Cat got your tongue? I was just thinking about and PS3 pretty much kept the 360 back. PS3 was the lowest common denominator if you really think about it.
    I disagree with that statement until I see the 360 crank out games that look as good as Uncharted, TLOU, Beyond, etc. PS3 was just a big pain to develop for. We've heard many developers say that. Which is why Sony is going with traditional X86 architecture this time around.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-10-2013 at 19:32.

  2. #52
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I disagree with that statement until I see the 360 crank out games that look as good as Uncharted, TLOU, Beyond, etc. PS3 was just a big pain to develop for. We've heard many developers say that. Which is why Sony is going with traditional X86 architecture this time around.
    precisely why i made that statement. when you have 256MB of VRAM to work with and you have to extract the rest of it by asking the Cell to let you have it and then work the Cell to do supportive GPU tasks, you're working a lot more than you should have to.

    that makes PS3 the lowest common denominator in multiplat games.

  3. #53
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    precisely why i made that statement. when you have 256MB of VRAM to work with and you have to extract the rest of it by asking the Cell to let you have it and then work the Cell to do supportive GPU tasks, you're working a lot more than you should have to. that makes PS3 the lowest common denominator in multiplat games.
    That makes it less developer friendly not lowest common denominator. Lowest common denominator implies weaker hardware which is a statement that I disagree with for the reasons already stated. And more recently we've seen multiplats be equal and sometimes even better on PS3.

  4. #54
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    of course, i meant that from a technical point of view. the PS3 didn't have raw power available more than the 360 - you had to extract it -, thus why so many multiplats weren't as good. bottom line is, most devs didn't care to go out of their way to extract it. from that point of view, it had less power and was the lowest common denominator.

    the only way they were able to get it on par or slightly better (better has been very rare) is when they actually worked more on the PS3 version and/or made it the main platform and ported over.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    That makes it less developer friendly not lowest common denominator. Lowest common denominator implies weaker hardware which is a statement that I disagree with for the reasons already stated. And more recently we've seen multiplats be equal and sometimes even better on PS3.

  5. #55
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    of course, i meant that from a technical point of view. the PS3 didn't have raw power available more than the 360 - you had to extract it -, thus why so many multiplats weren't as good. bottom line is, most devs didn't care to go out of their way to extract it. from that point of view, it had less power and was the lowest common denominator. the only way they were able to get it on par or slightly better (better has been very rare) is when they actually worked more on the PS3 version and/or made it the main platform and ported over.
    I agree with that but lowest common denominator is still imo the wrong term to describe what youre saying. Less developer friendly or less efficient is a better description. It was not weaker hardware which is what lowest common denominator implies.

  6. #56
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i'm not disagreeing with you at all. i'm just saying that given the circumstance, it was technically one but yes, it doesn't mean that exactly. it was just an interesting way i wanted everyone to look at.

    because everyone said that the developers were lazy and they didn't care and that's also somewhat correct but they shouldn't have to work more just to get it to par.

    all people focused on was how powerful it was. we were arguing about the wrong things. one side said, but it's not powerful, the multiplats are worse! the other side said, it is more powerful, look at the exclusives, third party is just lazy!

    the argument wasn't correct to begin with. because when a developer is working on it, they're not seeing PS3 as more powerful because they have no intention to extract all of that, they're looking at it as less powerful because that's all they have to work with through ease.

    so it was sort of like 360 dedicating about an extra 100 or so MBs of VRAM (wild guess, more or less) while PS3 having about 256MB VRAM more or less. you're going to see worse resolution, AA, and especially details and number of objects.

    while the PS3 is more powerful overall, from a context that multiplat devs were working with, it really wasn't. it wasn't more powerful where it mattered. we would've seen a lot more improvement in titles if it were a more straightforward structure like the 360's.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I agree with that but lowest common denominator is still imo the wrong term to describe what youre saying. Less developer friendly or less efficient is a better description. It was not weaker hardware which is what lowest common denominator implies.
    EDIT: so why i'm trying to call it the lowest common denominator is because if they are going to make a multiplat game, they have to keep the limitations of PS3 in mind or else they wouldn't be able to fit the game or they would just have to cut down on details.

    so they'd have to make the PS3 as the default platform or it would mean that you're working with a game that should work on 256MBs of VRAM. in the beginning of the generation, they could get away with it but games like BF3 require a lot more than that. so they have to make it on the PS3 first, extract as much power as they can and then port it over to the 360 and PC.
    Last edited by Omar; 10-10-2013 at 20:28.

  7. #57
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    19
    Points
    412,140 (0 Banked)
    OMG...

    That was good. Now that i'm done wiping the tears from my eyes and laughing...

    So, MS has WON this console generation because they aren't competing with SONY or Nintendo, with whom they've waged good battles with in the past, but,


    No, They are competing with Apple, Google, and Samsung, all of whom have beaten them senseless in the mobile market for years and Samsung who owns their fair share of the TV market as well... as does SONY btw, lol.

    Instead of a 60/40 share split on the losing end they are interested in a net share of 7%???

    FINE BY ME!!!

  8. #58
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    he's foreign right? he probably meant to say that they're not competing, not that they have won...because that's idiotic. unless he means to say that they are going to make $#@! ton of money, which i feel that they might...because people are easy to swindle...otherwise CC companies wouldn't exist.

  9. #59
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    13,780
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    84,906 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Xbox360 has Titan Fall and world of tanks. Plus they just released Ascend Hand of Kul. I'm sue there will be more in the next 2 to 3 years. Same with ps3.
    Yep. Sorry forgot about those. I thought World of Tanks was already released.




    Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

  10. #60
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    19
    Points
    412,140 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So Nintendo won.


    Wii won last generation, that is correct.

  11. #61
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    that's the generation i thought he was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Wii won last generation, that is correct.

  12. #62
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i'm not disagreeing with you at all. i'm just saying that given the circumstance, it was technically one but yes, it doesn't mean that exactly. it was just an interesting way i wanted everyone to look at. because everyone said that the developers were lazy and they didn't care and that's also somewhat correct but they shouldn't have to work more just to get it to par. all people focused on was how powerful it was. we were arguing about the wrong things. one side said, but it's not powerful, the multiplats are worse! the other side said, it is more powerful, look at the exclusives, third party is just lazy! the argument wasn't correct to begin with. because when a developer is working on it, they're not seeing PS3 as more powerful because they have no intention to extract all of that, they're looking at it as less powerful because that's all they have to work with through ease. so it was sort of like 360 dedicating about an extra 100 or so MBs of VRAM (wild guess, more or less) while PS3 having about 256MB VRAM more or less. you're going to see worse resolution, AA, and especially details and number of objects. while the PS3 is more powerful overall, from a context that multiplat devs were working with, it really wasn't. it wasn't more powerful where it mattered. we would've seen a lot more improvement in titles if it were a more straightforward structure like the 360's. EDIT: so why i'm trying to call it the lowest common denominator is because if they are going to make a multiplat game, they have to keep the limitations of PS3 in mind or else they wouldn't be able to fit the game or they would just have to cut down on details. so they'd have to make the PS3 as the default platform or it would mean that you're working with a game that should work on 256MBs of VRAM. in the beginning of the generation, they could get away with it but games like BF3 require a lot more than that. so they have to make it on the PS3 first, extract as much power as they can and then port it over to the 360 and PC.
    Certain PS3 exclusives are unmatched in console graphics so again I have to disagree.

  13. #63
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    right but i'm speaking from a context, as in not overall. overall, yes PS3 is definitely more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Certain PS3 exclusives are unmatched in console graphics so again I have to disagree.

  14. #64
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    right but i'm speaking from a context, as in not overall. overall, yes PS3 is definitely more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Certain PS3 exclusives are unmatched in console graphics so again I have to disagree.
    it's the same argument as someone saying that PCs are 10x more powerful than consoles but...

    but they don't show games that are 10x better? and why is that?

    precisely why Epic guy was so happy about the 8GB GDDR5 RAM because at any point, you don't have that much available on PCs to work with.

    it's about the power that is available or available easily rather than overall.

  15. #65
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    right but i'm speaking from a context, as in not overall. overall, yes PS3 is definitely more powerful.it's the same argument as someone saying that PCs are 10x more powerful than consoles but... but they don't show games that are 10x better? and why is that?
    I think you and I are basically saying the same thing but merely disagreeing on the term "lowest common denominator." So our debate is really over semantics at this point.

  16. #66
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol it definitely is semantics. i'm saying that while PS3 overall is more powerful, due to the way its architecture is, it most definitely can be seen as the lowest common denominator because when you're making a multiplat game, you don't have time to look at the specific strengths or you wouldn't get done. you might as well make two different games from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I think you and I are basically saying the same thing but merely disagreeing on the term "lowest common denominator." So our debate is really over semantics at this point.

  17. #67
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    lol it definitely is semantics. i'm saying that while PS3 overall is more powerful, due to the way its architecture is, it most definitely can be seen as the lowest common denominator because when you're making a multiplat game, you don't have time to look at the specific strengths or you wouldn't get done. you might as well make two different games from scratch.
    I get what youre saying and I agree. Once in awhile we see a 3rd party developer utilise certain strengths of the PS3 but those are probably developers who are using two teams, one for PS3 and one for 360. Certain developers did start doing that. Glad Sony isnt going with such alien architecture again. It wasn't a wise move in regards to a multiplat development environment.

  18. #68
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    exactly. i think we need to start thinking of it like that. because if we keep up with alien $#@! that devs don't want to work with, we're going to get back to that dark path.

    i never thought it mattered...but if you notice, before the PS2 even launched, devs were unhappy, they didn't think it was that powerful due to its difficulty. and sony was like, "see if we give a $#@!". i just figured that it didn't matter because devs would still come and develop and they did but yes, they would if you have a monopoly!

    it's amazing how they gave everyone a bigger middle finger with the PS3 and thought they could keep getting away with it. and we only have MS to thank for it.

    and to think, some people basically worshipped Ken Kutaragi. he was probably the reason for all this. you don't hire a hardcore nerd to think about "ease of development" because that's lame and not challenging enough.

    leave continuous improvements to the japanese but we need to involve americans for accessibility. that's partially why western games are doing so well now. everything seems to be just more seamless.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I get what youre saying and I agree. Once in awhile we see a 3rd party developer utilise certain strengths of the PS3 but those are probably developers who are using two teams, one for PS3 and one for 360. Certain developers did start doing that. Glad Sony isnt going with such alien architecture again. It wasn't a wise move in regards to a multiplat development environment.

  19. #69
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,423
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    38,542 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Sufi,Why is it when you quote someone it is underneath your reply? gets on my titties


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  20. #70
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    well if it's your titties then that's fine lol.

    it's because the place i work at, where i act like i'm working, we just had an upgrade so we all have windows 7 instead of XP because windows 7 is better because the logo looks pretty and it says the number 7 so that's better than having XP in front of it.

    so now, our windows has been obamafied or democrasized, meaning, they have more control over the computer. thus i cannot install google chrome or firefox (but i did install chrome, just has no connection). and IE sucks monster balls...you can't click to get to the bottom of the quote, you have to either click in the middle of the quote or at the very end of it (but not on the white space) so i got tired of it and started to post this way.

    i hope i didn't explain too much.

  21. #71
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,423
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    38,542 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    quit your job then dude, it's that bad!


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  22. Likes Omar likes this post
  23. #72
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,560
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,144 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    might actually be good for the economy lol.

  24. #73
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    5,596 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Pretty dumb article. Both systems did great, had their own issues and in the end finished legit with no losers. Everybody has money in their pocket, unlike the last generation where Sega nearly was no longer a company, they were saved by a huge donation from their own dying CEO.

    Nintendo won, but they're going to have to do a lot better this next generation the Wii U is already behind. This generation I feel like their might be a loser in the outcome.

    Also, Microsoft competing with Apple and Google? What a joke. They lost to them years ago lol. Even their Windows 8 OS sucks balls. All they have is their gaming department it racks in the most money, after that it's Office and that's because people have to use it for Business/Educational purposes.

  25. Likes Christopher , mistercrow, PS4freak likes this post
  26. #74
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    13,780
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    84,906 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    Pretty dumb article. Both systems did great, had their own issues and in the end finished legit with no losers. Everybody has money in their pocket, unlike the last generation where Sega nearly was no longer a company, they were saved by a huge donation from their own dying CEO.

    Nintendo won, but they're going to have to do a lot better this next generation the Wii U is already behind. This generation I feel like their might be a loser in the outcome.

    Also, Microsoft competing with Apple and Google? What a joke. They lost to them years ago lol. Even their Windows 8 OS sucks balls. All they have is their gaming department it racks in the most money, after that it's Office and that's because people have to use it for Business/Educational purposes.
    This right here says it all.




    Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

  27. #75
    Veteran
    UkHardcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,156
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    4,804 (0 Banked)
    Did MS win "the console war"? Did they make more money than Sony?
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.