Latest PSU headlines:

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX

Call of Duty: Ghosts critique - a word of warning following the next-gen hype

Among the highlights of today's news cycle was the world premiere of Call of Duty: Ghosts, the next installation in the critically acclaimed Call of Duty series and developer Infinity Ward's first foray into the next generation. Activision CEO Eric Hirschberg made a number of promises at Microsoft's Xbox One reveal this morning: Ghosts will offer a new, "character-driven" world with the best FPS gameplay to date.

We can waste time focusing on the timed exclusivity of Xbox content that we expected to carry into the next generation, but for PlayStation and Xbox gamers alike, the reveal of Call of Duty: Ghosts was an invigorating glimpse into what the next generation will offer us on the frontlines. Month-long exclusivity is, while occasionally irritating, is not a dealbreaker or a reason to buy one console over another.

Via ourselves.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    I missed a bit of this, it is JUST early dips on DLC again? or is COD: ghost exclusive for next gen xbox one and not on the ps4 ( but on the ps3/360) ?

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    I missed a bit of this, it is JUST early dips on DLC again? or is COD: ghost exclusive for next gen xbox one and not on the ps4 ( but on the ps3/360) ?
    It's exactly the same as it has been throughout this generation. Hence why it isn't as big a deal as some people would like to think.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Elite Member
    The game looked like all of the other Call of Duty games that came before it this generation.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    It looked current gen.

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    They keep looking in the Mirror and seeing the same thing, they need too change

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Finally! A game engine that can match, Uncharted 3!

8. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    It didnt look better tbh but it does seem to have more going on with i can take over gfx. On the other hand i was expecting something on the lvl or crysis like killzone shadow fall
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Looked pretty good to me; and staying at 60fps. nice.

Ultimate Veteran
    It looked on par with the first Crysis, tbh.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Looked pretty good to me; and staying at 60fps. nice.
    Yeah 60 frames is always welcomed though on pc its nice breaking that 60 fps ceiling. Cod has always been about gameplay so I wasn't really expecting much of a leap but it would have been nice to see better gfx.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    It looked on par with the first Crysis, tbh.
    really on what settings? Surely not these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dAuuZody8

Oh wait hold on thats a 670

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DaZhv50VIQ

I wonder what the native resolution is
    Last edited by hood; 05-21-2013 at 23:15.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    It looked current gen.
    Yep. I wasn't impressed.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Tomb Raider passed that months ago!

Apprentice
    "On par with Crysis"?!? I think some people have a very weak memory. No offense. Maybe they just remember it the wrong way.

This COD Ghosts trailer looked next gen close up, but look at MGS5 or TLOU which will run on PS3 and look better - even close up. The fact that Ghosts will run at around 60FPS is no excuse. There were PC's back in 2007 (Crysis came out in 2007 I believe) that could run Crysis at 1080p at 60FPS. Yeah, such a PC cost a lot, but that was 6 years ago! And btw, Crysis still holds up today visually. It looks so much more impressive than COD Ghosts, it's not even funny. But I'll reserve my final judgement until I see the game... you know some proper gameplay trailer, not some in-engine BS (which is still honest enough in comparison to CGI trailer that are marketed as gameplay/inengine; but for a COD game, gameplay is essential).

I am seriously disappointed in the tech side of this new COD. I mean THIS is the best they could come up with for their NEXT GENERATION engine? BF4 looked soulless, but at least the engine is - tech-wise - a NEXT generation of engine, not just the existing engine where you put the settings to maximum like on PCs a few years ago, oh yeah... and they added FISH THAT GET OUT OF YOUR WAY WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO SWIM INTO THEM. Seriously?

The most embarassing thing was the Kinect guy using a Powerpoint clicker in his pocket everytime he "voice-commanded" Kinect or used gestures. Just embarassing. I'm not hating on MS here, I'm just saying that this part of the presentation was just... I couldn't even watch it. I had to look away and I felt ashamed for the guy.
    Last edited by MBS D@v!d; 05-22-2013 at 00:54.

Thread Information