Latest PSU headlines:

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    The Xbox One OS isn't Windows 8 kernel. It just has Windows 8 features.
    Actually, if you go listen to the Xbox One reveal, they DID say it has the Windows kernel. Don't believe they specifically stated Windows 8 was the kernel source but there's no reason they would use something else. Makes sense for them to leverage what they already have, wherever they can.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Give us SSD Sony. Fucking do it

Or at least the ability to put our own hdds in there. However, I honestly believe they will go the proprietery route this gen, as it didn't seem to effect MS much with the 360
    I want the ability to change the HDD and I want the PS4 to support fast drives.

MS did add external storage support though. Attach your USB3 external 3TB HDD and you are set for life. They said external storage will be treated as internal, installing games etc.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Except that later on there was no mention of any type of split, and other sources stepped up to clarify that there is -no- real division amongst the CU's themselves to differentiate between certain functions (GPGPU vs graphics), such as Mark Cerny in his interviews. He was very open about the architecture and never once stated there was a division of labor built into the silicon.

This was discussed in depth at B3D.

The consensus over there, seemingly, is that the source (or VGleaks) was attempting to imply that the system was "balanced" for 14 CU on graphics +4CU for compute to ensure maximum efficiency. Not that there was anything special or gimped about those 4 CU's (or that they were somehow isolated from the others).
    Exactly, the are not gimped, they are there and they are real. From some other things I've read it is being said (not proven) that using the extra CU's doesn't result in a whole lot more performance due to the overall architecture and bandwidth. Again, not saying that's the case, but it's interesting. That being said, I doubt that Sony opted for all that additional muscle which represents more cost for them as well, if there's no benefit. I'm pretty confident we'll probably see benefit and results from that decision as the platform matures. Saying that they give no additional benefit versus the choice Microsoft made is pretty silly, IMHO, especially as we don't have all the FULL details at this point.

Bottom line, yes the PS4 has more muscle than the Xbox One. If I want an Xbox though, does that really matter? No! Both systems will have cool games and look great. Sony's just done their traditional "future proofing" here and it will likely show in their exclusives which Sony has more of and depends on more than Microsoft does. Microsoft is going more after the general entertainment and video market. I think the features they showed were really cool although I doubt I'd use them since I use my Apple TV, regular TV, etc. already to do most of that stuff. Interesting different directions by both Microsoft and Sony though. Will be interesting to see how it turns out for both of them. For my part, I'll probably just get the PS4, but I am interested to see what other features, if any, they have to reveal at E3. I'm hoping they get the online experience more on par with Xbox Live.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This time they did their future-proofing correctly. Make it easy and powerful.

Veteran
    Another thing, the DS4 controller added multiple features that may not make the throughput more powerful, but more features that make the overall hardware more powerful. Mark Cerny is probably on neogaf and read all the biggest complaints people had with the DS4. Made longer handles with cool two-tone material grips, widened the distance between the analog sticks, has the newer rumble, put trigger shoulder buttons, added a headset connector. Then to top it off, add the touchscreen panel and a multicolor locater light. Didn't see anything added to the XBone controller, seems the headset connector is gone, still uses AA batteries, kind of glossied it up a bit but little additional gaming function (do you really want your trigger to rumble as you are sweeping a machine gun around the horizon? you don't want a lot of vibration on your trigger finger).
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Another thing, the DS4 controller added multiple features that may not make the throughput more powerful, but more features that make the overall hardware more powerful. Mark Cerny is probably on neogaf and read all the biggest complaints people had with the DS4. Made longer handles with cool two-tone material grips, widened the distance between the analog sticks, has the newer rumble, put trigger shoulder buttons, added a headset connector. Then to top it off, add the touchscreen panel and a multicolor locater light. Didn't see anything added to the XBone controller, seems the headset connector is gone, still uses AA batteries, kind of glossied it up a bit but little additional gaming function (do you really want your trigger to rumble as you are sweeping a machine gun around the horizon? you don't want a lot of vibration on your trigger finger).
    Really, you are going to ingore the 40+ changes made to the X1 controller?

Not to mention, the things that sony added to the DS4 don't seem to have anything to do with improving the gaming experience, while the changes made to the X1 controller seem to have been geared towards improving the gaming experience.

Extreme Poster
    Care to elaborate what those are? I did not know that.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Really, you are going to ingore the 40+ changes made to the X1 controller?

Not to mention, the things that sony added to the DS4 don't seem to have anything to do with improving the gaming experience, while the changes made to the X1 controller seem to have been geared towards improving the gaming experience.
    You're kidding me.

So a touch pad, share button, actual triggers, enhanced ergonomics don't count for you in regards to the DS4?

The only thing the new Xbox controller really has "game experience wise" is the force feed back triggers.

And the DS4 can still do motion sensing- Xbone pad still can't do that.

If you're all about the "gaming experience" offered by a controller I dunno what else out there really beats the DS4 with all the stuff that's packed into it. Integral battery charger, blutooth, motion sensing, touch pad..

I use a USB 360 controller as my gamepad on PC, due to simplicity's sake though.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 05-25-2013 at 01:35.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Care to elaborate what those are? I did not know that.
    http://kotaku.com/the-tiny-cool-deta...ller-509188976

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...one-controller

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/20...ler/in/4116279

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...rs-new-buttons

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...er-testing-lab

You're kidding me.

So a touch pad, share button, actual triggers, enhanced ergonomics don't count for you in regards to the DS4?

The only thing the new Xbox controller really has "game experience wise" is the force feed back triggers.

And the DS4 can still do motion sensing- Xbone pad still can't do that.

If you're all about the "gaming experience" offered by a controller I dunno what else out there really beats the DS4 with all the stuff that's packed into it. Integral battery charger, blutooth, motion sensing, touch pad..

I use a USB 360 controller as my gamepad on PC, due to simplicity's sake though.
    Who put a "share" button on their controller? Who put in a useless touchpad (a la vita) on their controller?

Motion sensing? Are you really complaining about that when it is likely every X1 console is going to be bundled with kinect. Not to mention the affect on batterylife.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/01/ga...-battery-life/

The 360 controller triggers were superior to those of the sixaxis/de3. Based on the improvements for the one's triggers, I expect that advantage to continue.

And enhanced ergonomics don't mean much when the inherent design/shape of the controller doesn't really work for your hands.

10. Dislikes Vulgotha, Ryunosuke is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Extreme Poster
    http://kotaku.com/the-tiny-cool-deta...ller-509188976

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...one-controller

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/20...ler/in/4116279

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...rs-new-buttons

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...er-testing-lab

Who put a "share" button on their controller? Who put in a useless touchpad (a la vita) on their controller?

Motion sensing? Are you really complaining about that when it is likely every X1 console is going to be bundled with kinect. Not to mention the affect on batterylife.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/01/ga...-battery-life/

The 360 controller triggers were superior to those of the sixaxis/de3. Based on the improvements for the one's triggers, I expect that advantage to continue.

And enhanced ergonomics don't mean much when the inherent design/shape of the controller doesn't really work for your hands.
    How can you say the touchpad is useless when you haven't used it?

I'm not seeing 40+ improvements...more like less than 10.

And the controller still seems like it needs more improvement. e.g. d-pad still looks like crap, being clickier isn't going to fix the precision problem.

The buttons still look hard to push, we'll just have to see...it's possible that they improved some things but will they be better than the DS4? Remains to be seen.

All I know is that DS has always had awesome buttons that never stop working and are easy to push and the response is always good.

I have never liked Xbox controllers, they always feel clunky and less responsive to me. I don't get the whole thing about triggers either. I don't like triggers to begin with and see no ease of use from either controllers. I prefer the shoulder buttons for shooting. Much quicker response and quicker to tap.

While I see an advantage in the analog design of the left Xbox stick, the DS isn't that far behind, I see the Xbox stick in a more natural location as it is easier to move the stick at a 90 degrees up. However, once you play with the controller enough, that problem is non-existent.

And they still have AA batteries in them! I didn't want those 7 years ago! Much less for the next 7 years!

12. Likes VayMasters86 wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Dude, I love the rear touchpad on my Vita.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

Forum Sage
    How can you say the touchpad is useless when you haven't used it?

I'm not seeing 40+ improvements...more like less than 10.

And the controller still seems like it needs more improvement. e.g. d-pad still looks like crap, being clickier isn't going to fix the precision problem.

The buttons still look hard to push, we'll just have to see...it's possible that they improved some things but will they be better than the DS4? Remains to be seen.

All I know is that DS has always had awesome buttons that never stop working and are easy to push and the response is always good.

I have never liked Xbox controllers, they always feel clunky and less responsive to me. I don't get the whole thing about triggers either. I don't like triggers to begin with and see no ease of use from either controllers. I prefer the shoulder buttons for shooting. Much quicker response and quicker to tap.

While I see an advantage in the analog design of the left Xbox stick, the DS isn't that far behind, I see the Xbox stick in a more natural location as it is easier to move the stick at a 90 degrees up. However, once you play with the controller enough, that problem is non-existent.

And they still have AA batteries in them! I didn't want those 7 years ago! Much less for the next 7 years!
    The only significant use I can think of for the touchpad would be to scroll through menu's, but seeing as sony won't be using the XMB on the PS4, I don't see the touchpad being that useful at all.

Intial impressions from the press have been positive overall regarding the xbox one controller. They may not have been able to game with it, but they tried out the changes and they seem to be an improvement.

Did you read the controller testing article/kotaku article, they made the buttons easier to push. Not that it is an issue with the 360 controller. I've been using the same 360 controller since launch back in 2005 and everything works fine.

Triggers are very useful when you want a range of control that you can't get with buttons (like in a racing game)

Don't like AA batteries than use the batterypack, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by NextGenGamer2000 View Post
    This bit males no sense

How could you possibly know when the design of the controller changed?

I mean from reports so far it's very comfortable to hold.

The overall shape is the same as the ds3/sixaxis/ds2. Yeah they made the handles more rounded (and looks like the material is different) That seems like it will be an improvement. But my hands don't agree with the basic shape of the DS controllers. I find the xbox controller shape to be much more ergonomic. (not to mention placement of the analog sticks). So while the controller may be an improvement over the DS3 in some ways (and possibly worse in others), it seems the overall design will not be as good as the xbox controller for my hands.

Dude, I love the rear touchpad on my Vita.
    Makes more sense on the vita than it does on a dualshock controller.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    DS4 looks alot differetn, it is shaped a bit more ergonomically by the looks of it.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    The touchpad on the front will be great for those that like titles such as temple run and other iso/android based games. The code won't have to be changed much.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    So you discredit the changes made to the DS4 over DS3 because you don't think they are good in your eyes? I understand if you don't like the DS design as much as the Xbox controller but come on.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    So you discredit the changes made to the DS4 over DS3 because you don't think they are good in your eyes? I understand if you don't like the DS design as much as the Xbox controller but come on.
    Outside of the more round handles and potential improvements to the sticks/triggers the other additions seem like gimmicks.

The only significant use I can think of for the touchpad would be to scroll through menu's, but seeing as sony won't be using the XMB on the PS4, I don't see the touchpad being that useful at all.

Intial impressions from the press have been positive overall regarding the xbox one controller. They may not have been able to game with it, but they tried out the changes and they seem to be an improvement.

Did you read the controller testing article/kotaku article, they made the buttons easier to push. Not that it is an issue with the 360 controller. I've been using the same 360 controller since launch back in 2005 and everything works fine.

Triggers are very useful when you want a range of control that you can't get with buttons (like in a racing game)

The overall shape is the same as the ds3/sixaxis/ds2. Yeah they made the handles more rounded (and looks like the material is different) That seems like it will be an improvement. But my hands don't agree with the basic shape of the DS controllers. I find the xbox controller shape to be much more ergonomic. (not to mention placement of the analog sticks). So while the controller may be an improvement over the DS3 in some ways (and possibly worse in others), it seems the overall design will not be as good as the xbox controller for my hands.

Makes more sense on the vita than it does on a dualshock controller.
    Isn't it kinda sad that the controller is about the only positive thing from the conference.

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

20. Likes victorijapoosp wishes they had posted this first.
    Outside of the more round handles and potential improvements to the sticks/triggers the other additions seem like gimmicks.
    And the things Microsoft added don't seem like gimmicks? You can't just look at one and turn your cheek at the other.

Superior Member

To say that the changes to the Xbox controller are few is both right and misleading. The Kinect in every box adds to to control functionality while using the controller, that fact shouldn't be easily discarded, we'll have to wait and see. Though I doubt I'll like that controller since it looks to have the same shape, and that damned placement of the left thumb stick forces me to hold my thumb in an unnatural position. Having to replace batteries is an annoying inconvenience or I could shell out more money for the battery pack which should already be in the controller in the first place. I noticed the L1/R1 placement buttons seem to be bigger, which is nice, maybe now I won't forget they're there.

The DS4 has several changes to it directly. The extra distance between thumb sticks and concave tops on of the sticks themselves are two things that I really wanted. The L2/R2 triggers look to be better. The handles also seem to be more shaped. The touch-pad and motion sensing are in the same category as Xbox controller+connect, we'll have to wait and see what devs do with them. I LOVE the share button, I've never wanted to deal with setting up recording equipment, and it being built in and always recording (up to the last 15 minutes I believe) should make it greatly more convenient.

Based on what I know of them, DS4 has improved/added more, so big plus to Sony!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Extreme Poster

Ok, because they improved, doesn't mean they're "better". The xbox 360 dpad was improved twice. Once when they made the controller, once later on. Was it better than the DS3? Nope. Wasn't even better than the original DS.

So we will see how much they have improved but honestly if it were that easy for them, they would've done it in the past 10+ years.

And pressing buttons has been a huge problem with the Xbox controllers, what are you talking about lol. I know for a fact that the first Xbox controller's biggest problem was that the buttons would stop working or get stuck.

Why are you lying? One of those articles mentioned "whew" a few times about the 360 controller as well and I did notice that while they improved the buttons, they were still kinda tough.

The problem is your perception, you think it's fine so it must be fine.

As for the batterypack, 1) That thing is HUGE! 2) I do not want something sticking out the bottom of my controller! 3) You have to pay for it.

No, we are in 2013. I stopped buying electronics with AA batteries back in early 2000. No. Just not.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Robardian View Post
    Isn't it kinda sad that the controller is about the only positive thing from the conference.

Really, you can't even find one single thing in addition to the controller that was a positive at the reveal. (nevermind that we still haven't seen the second part of MS's plans which will be revealed at E3).

Like this for example:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/x...iple-accounts/

Quote Originally Posted by Robardian View Post
    And the things Microsoft added don't seem like gimmicks? You can't just look at one and turn your cheek at the other.

Please tell me what changes to the X1 controller are gimmicks and do nothing positive for the gaming experience?

Forum Sage
    Ok, because they improved, doesn't mean they're "better". The xbox 360 dpad was improved twice. Once when they made the controller, once later on. Was it better than the DS3? Nope. Wasn't even better than the original DS.

So we will see how much they have improved but honestly if it were that easy for them, they would've done it in the past 10+ years.

And pressing buttons has been a huge problem with the Xbox controllers, what are you talking about lol. I know for a fact that the first Xbox controller's biggest problem was that the buttons would stop working or get stuck.

Why are you lying? One of those articles mentioned "whew" a few times about the 360 controller as well and I did notice that while they improved the buttons, they were still kinda tough.

The problem is your perception, you think it's fine so it must be fine.

As for the batterypack, 1) That thing is HUGE! 2) I do not want something sticking out the bottom of my controller! 3) You have to pay for it.

No, we are in 2013. I stopped buying electronics with AA batteries back in early 2000. No. Just not.
    Do you really think MS would put out a completely redesigned controller for its next gen console and hamper it with a Dpad that did not offer a good experience? Come on now.

My xbox 1 controller still works fine to this day. As does my 360 controller. I didn't notice any button issues with either compared to the DS2 I had on hand for comparison.

The quotes you mentioned found in the kotaku article):

Control sticks that take less effort to move (phew!)

"Triple-shot" face buttons that make them look snazzier and require less force to use (phew again!)
    Both are issues that go away once the controller is broken in.

As for the batterypack, what are you talking about.

Look at the X1 controller:

The batteries/battery pack will be flush with the bottom, no protrusions.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by NextGenGamer2000 View Post
    Umm... when DS4 changes control stick it's gimmick

X1 controller does it , it's great. It seems like your minds set beforehand...

How would you know controller isn't comfortable??

Umm, that's not what I said.

If the same basic design exists, I don't really have much (if any) reason to believe that it will be more comfortable than a design I already know is comfortable. I could be wrong, but based off of the previous 3 generations of playstation controllers and knowing sony isn't going to do anything radically different (like the boomerang) I don't see that being the case.

Really, you can't even find one single thing in addition to the controller that was a positive at the reveal. (nevermind that we still haven't seen the second part of MS's plans which will be revealed at E3).

Like this for example:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/x...iple-accounts/

Please tell me what changes to the X1 controller are gimmicks and do nothing positive for the gaming experience?
    I said about. Until they show the games I'm not interested. Until they get rid of the preowned fee I'm not interested. Until they get rid of the DRM I'm not interested. It could be the best controller in the world but because of sentence 3 and 4 im just not interested at the moment. If things change at e3 then my position may change. E3 will either be microsofts salvation or damnation. The TV applications dont apply to me since i barely watch tv as is.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 05-25-2013 at 04:14.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

29. Likes victorijapoosp , TheBreezyBB , x_terna, mynd wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information