Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

First Round Of Xbox One Vs. PS4 Goes To Microsoft

Microsoft revealed its new console, the Xbox One, today, and the console race is officially on. Itís not close to finished, but both Sony and Microsoft have had a chance to give us a first look at their new consoles, and Iím handing this first round to Microsoft. Neither company exactly blew it out of the water, but in a battle of mostly-boring, unsatisfactory console reveals, Microsoftís felt more together.
    First, the obvious point. Sony did not show us a console, Microsoft did. It matters. It lets us know what weíre talking about, and it gives the impression that the company has it a little together. The rest of the set up its vision of the modern console ó broad strokes all around, but impressive partnerships and a much more thorough look at what it will actually be to use the device. The NFL and EA Sports are very good friends to have. Better, I would argue, than Jonathan Blow.
    At its PS4 reveal, Sony set itself up as the anti-Microsoft. Microsoft is all about TV, weíre all about games, they seemed to say. If you care about games, you should be buying a PS4. But what does that actually mean? We saw more games at the Playstation reveal, but a lot of those are coming to the Xbox as well. Itís unlikely that third-party developers will, for some reason, skip the Xbox One, and third-party developers make all the biggest games.
    We still have a lot of unanswered questions about internet connection requirements and used games ó itís likely that the Xbox One will feature some sort of restriction on used games, but not necessarily require an internet connection to function. This gives Sony an opportunity to announce that it wonít restrict used games at all, and curry favor with the hardcore crowd ó if publishers arenít pressuring them otherwise. None of this is particularly great news, but the real question is how it will influence the game between these two consoles. My guess is that weíll hear something similar from Sony as weíre hearing from Microsoft now, and none of this controversy will be able move the needle much for anyone but Gamestop.
    Parts of the gaming community are definitely pleased about what Sony didnít announce ó they didnít spend time on TV, didnít try and storm the living room with a battering ram, and lent most of their stage to a series of developers. Thatís great. I have full faith that weíll see a huge number of big, great games on the Xbox at E3, and most games will be multi-platform anyway. For this generation, I donít think any hardware library is going to be different enough to dictate a systemís future. Except the Wii Uís.
    Both of these consoles still badly need to justify their own existence, and Iím not sure either will be a runaway success. Sony has plenty of time to come back swinging. But what I saw from Sonyís PS4 reveal was more of the same. What I saw from Microsoft was all of that old stuff with a lot more added on top. When it comes down to buying time in the fall, I think weíre going to be looking at two fairly similar consoles, with fairly similar pricing schemes and software lineups. The difference will be all of Xbox Oneís new features, and that could sway purchasing decisions.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...-to-microsoft/

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Thats not what most gamers are saying though

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    What I saw from Microsoft was all of that old stuff with a lot more added on top.
    What did he mean by that? Kinect 1 is the "old stuff" and "TV" the "a lot more"?
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Who are the judges though?

The NFL replacement refs?
    Be Together - Not the same.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    MS can do no wrong to some it seems. Consumers might as well continue bending over.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    He lost me at MS reveal felt more together and they didn't show the box!!! If you consider praising a multiplatform game for almost 25 percent of the show then yeah very well put together.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Dedicated Member

Well, I would wait a bit before everyone starts throwing rocks at either E3 is a few weeks away and all will be revealed. I'm sure they'll both be cool. But I have a gut feeling as usual to me anyway, PS4 will have games I like more.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    To summarize:

-Microsoft showed the console and Sony did not
    -NFL and EA are better partners than Jonathan Blow
    -Third-party games still coming to Xbox
    -PS4 will likely be controversial with used games well
    -Microsoft will show off great games at E3
    -PS4 is more of the same, while Xbox One is something new

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Pretty sure MS only delayed their reveal so they could show the console and "win" the reveal. Obviously didn't work.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Pretty sure MS only delayed their reveal so they could show the console and "win" the reveal. Obviously didn't work.
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/xbo...he-20-percent/

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Oh imagine that... mainstream media says something and it's automatic fact. Lol Seems familiar. I can only imagine if this was a perception from gamers it would not anywhere close to this percentage.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 05-22-2013 at 23:56.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Not surprising. We are the minority. Forum going "hardcore gamers" are vastly outnumbered by the mainstream gamers and the mainstream press is who the average person listens to and MS knows this. Xbox One may not be successful with alot of us but it will be with the mainstream masses. Especially in the US.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Yeah who doesn't want a pass-throguh service though? Some people only care about what majority think so they can sit and feel comfortable in the choice they made; despite maybe not receiving the full end of the deal.

Too much of this is a popularity contest, despite what's actually good for gamers (in a gaming forum? nah, fuggetaboutit).

If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't giove a $#@!l iof 80% wanted it for the popular mainstream stuff, if it hampered my gaming experience.

Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Yeah who doesn't want a pass-throguh service though? Some people only care about what majority think so they can sit and feel comfortable in the choice they made; despite maybe not receiving the full end of the deal. Too much of this is a popularity contest, despite what's actually good for gamers (in a gaming forum? nah, fuggetaboutit). If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't giove a $#@!l iof 80% wanted it for the popular mainstream stuff, if it hampered my gaming experience. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
    True dat.

Forum Sage
    Yeah who doesn't want a pass-throguh service though? Some people only care about what majority think so they can sit and feel comfortable in the choice they made; despite maybe not receiving the full end of the deal.

Too much of this is a popularity contest, despite what's actually good for gamers (in a gaming forum? nah, fuggetaboutit).

If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't giove a $#@!l iof 80% wanted it for the popular mainstream stuff, if it hampered my gaming experience.

Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
    Money talks.

People didn't respond to the hardcore gaming machine that was the original xbox. The 360 and the one are the results of that.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Not surprising. We are the minority. Forum going "hardcore gamers" are vastly outnumbered by the mainstream gamers and the mainstream press is who the average person listens to and MS knows this. Xbox One may not be successful with alot of us but it will be with the mainstream masses. Especially in the US.
    Yeah MS support from mainstream media helped their dominance in the US for the 360 for sure. I'm sure it is going to help with X1 as well.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Money talks.

People didn't respond to the hardcore gaming machine that was the original xbox. The 360 and the one are the results of that.
    So as a gamer you don't care?
    Got it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    lol I think this forum is a gaming forum but for some of us clearly it is a bussiness forum Forbes article in here? really?
    (ē_ē)
    ( ē_ē)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Forum Sage
    So as a gamer you don't care?
    Got it.
    Sorry?

I bought an original xbox. And had a live subscription. I supported MS's hardcore console. Did you? If you didn't you can't say a god damn thing.

I also did the same thing for the 360. Did you?

Furthermore MS has been yelling from the rooftops that in 18 days we will see the games for the ONE. And they have promised us 15 exclusives, 8 of which will be new IP's.

Seriously, what the hell more could you want?

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Sorry?

I bought an original xbox. And had a live subscription. I supported MS's hardcore console. Did you? If you didn't you can't say a god damn thing.

Furthermore MS has been yelling from the rooftops that in 18 days we will see the games for the ONE. And they have promised us 15 exclusives, 8 of which will be new IP's.

I owned the original and loved it. Their focus on gaming then was stellar.

I Owned 360 for about 3-4 years and loved the first few years of that. Then continued supporting of the same titles and an extreme focus of Kinect later they lost me. They seemed to lose their focus of bringing new and great games for the core to me. With the reveal I was looking for something that was going to show me as a core gamer they were thinking of us. In my eyes they failed to do that right out of the gate.

You can say wait but that doesn't make me feel confident that they are focused on what helped make their brand in the console market what it is today. Shouldn't it be the other way around but neither of us are going to change our feelings about the reveal impressions so.

Super Elite
    Nothing is stopping the X1 from being a great gaming rig to go along with the multi media stuff, E3 will be when they focus on the new games that are coming.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Sorry?

Hey, hey, hey - it's ok. Nothing to get worked up about. Sorry I even mentioned anything.

It's all good dude, it's all good.

*chill pill*

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I hope my doubts are put to rest at e3 and they bring all kinds of new games that are not Kinect oriented. That will be great for gaming. Both will compete hard with games. Meaning more games for us gamers.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I owned the original and loved it. Their focus on gaming then was stellar.

I Owned 360 for about 3-4 years and loved the first few years of that. Then continued supporting of the same titles and an extreme focus of Kinect later they lost me. They seemed to lose their focus of bringing new and great games for the core to me. With the reveal I was looking for something that was going to show me as a core gamer they were thinking of us. In my eyes they failed to do that right out of the gate.

You can say wait but that doesn't make me feel confident that they are focused on what helped make their brand in the console market what it is today. Shouldn't it be the other way around but neither of us are going to change our feelings about the reveal impressions so.
    They invested billions into the original xbox, they needed a console that could make them profitable. That's what the 360 did, especially with kinect. (I still can't believe how many kinects were sold).

Now that they are making money, the can focus on games and entertainment/media services.

Also the 360 had a longer than normal lifespan (likely due to the global recession) in order to survive the additional years they needed to jumpstart the 360, which is what kinect did.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I hope my doubts are put to rest at e3 and they bring all kinds of new games that are not Kinect oriented. That will be great for gaming. Both will compete hard with games. Meaning more games for us gamers.
    It's not so much that they're Kinect games; it's that the games we usua;ly associate with these motion games are subpar to normal gaming standards.

If they made something that we could all get excited about then all these peripherals will be a lot more well received.

26. Likes PS4freak likes this post

Thread Information