Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

MS spends $400 Million for the NFL deal

Imagine Sean Payton holding up a Surface tablet instead of a cardboard playsheet on the sideline.Envision Peyton Manning sitting on the bench and dissecting the last series from a variety of camera angles on his hand-held device instead of looking at still photos. Or sitting at home and pulling up real-time highlights on a Sunday afternoon.
    The NFL and Microsoft, through its next generation Xbox device, are combining to upgrade interactive TV viewing of pro football games in a multiyear agreement announced Tuesday. The next step after that, perhaps as early as 2014, will be bringing technology to the sidelines on tablets.It's coming.
    The deal is worth $400 million over five years for the NFL, according to a person familiar with the agreement. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because financial details have not been made public.
    "When you think about the sidelines, what is most important for us is how you make the game of football better, make what the coaches and players do better, using technology but preserving the competition," said Brian Rolapp, chief operating officer of NFL Media. "The challenge is how to bring technology to make it a better experience for them and for the fans.
    "You can start with how we communicate with each other, whether it's game officials or coaches. Coaches can look at formations as they develop. We'll look at how do you do the still photos better, get more into real time? Is there a more efficient way to give replay officials a way of doing reviews better through technology?"
    That's for the future, albeit the not-too-distant future.
    Fans will get new television viewing innovations, including the ability to watch games, Skype video chat with other fans, view statistics, access highlights in real time and gather fantasy information about players and teams -- all on a single screen. For those who prefer multiple screens, fans can get an even deeper experience on mobile devices and tablets with SmartGlass technology.
    "From the use of instant replay to the yellow first-down line that has become an important element of the at-home television viewing experience, the NFL is committed to leveraging technology to improve our game for coaches, players and fans," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We're thrilled to be teaming with a true innovator like Microsoft to shape the future of the NFL game experience both on-field, and in the living room."
    Such technology is expected to keep fans not one step but several strides ahead of what's being presented live on TV now.
    Consider that a Bears fan in Chicago could be watching his team take on the Giants at Soldier Field while conversing visually with a friend in New York on the same screen. Also on that screen could be all pertinent statistics for the game, access to NFL RedZone and to replays from the Giants-Bearsmatchup.
    Plus -- and perhaps as significant as anything to the NFL given the popularity of fantasy football -- real-time updated stats from around the league. Call it seamless fantasy integration with the real product.
    Branding of Microsoft products on the hoods of the referee's on-field instant replay station and other sideline areas will begin this season. In coming years, coaches or coordinators figure to have Surface tablets to aid in-game planning and for play calling."This partnership will redefine NFL experiences through exclusive and interactive content that you will find only on Xbox," said Don Mattrick, president of the IEB Division at Microsoft. "For fans, the NFL on Xbox will provide the most complete way to enjoy live football by bringing the first fully integrated fantasy football experience to the TV."
    The prospect presents enough competitive challenges that the NFL's competition committee will discuss guidelines for their use before making any recommendations to the owners next year or beyond.
    "Anything we do will go through the proper approval processes," Rolapp said. "Whatever we do, it's of paramount importance it enhances the competition. We have some gospel points we will not break."
    Signing a five-year deal also gives the NFL some flexibility as technological advances make even more improvements possible.
    "This was smart by the NFL because it is signed up for five years of interactivity, then it can evaluate what works best and maybe go on with Microsoft or go to another communications company or even the networks. Had they gone to the networks now, it would have been a hodge-podge," said Marc Ganis, the president of SportsCorp, which does consulting work with the NFL.
    "The tablets are a huge deal. For a league that prides itself about being at the forefront of technology, having Peyton Manning look at Polaroids isn't exactly cutting edge. Having him look at a tablet is."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ewing-of-games

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    How many games does that buy?

Don't get me wrong- I'm a huge sports nut; but from a gaming perspective... It's not like there wasn't any other way for them to deliver the content. They just wanted to say "we have it exclusively - nyahnanyahnanyahnyah!".

EDIT:
    ALso, how will NFL teams operate? A lot of the teams use iPads for their playbooks now. Will they be then forced to use Surface?

I ask because the last part about Peyton Manning looking at a Surface tablet.

lol - i can already see the reaction from the no-nonsense coaches: "You mean to tell me; that we have to replace ALL our playbooks from these perfectly working iPads, just so we can use these Surface thingies???!??!?!

Get the F outta my field!"

Oh jesus...
    Last edited by Admartian; 05-22-2013 at 21:31.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Not surprising. All that could have been used towards more games.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I thought of asking what sport is NFL but I googled it. I thought it was hockey but the luck of H made me thinking. lol
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Not surprising. All that could have been used towards more games.
    is 15 not enough for you?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Not if they end up being Kinect and XBLA games which is likely.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    How about you get your $#@! together MS and pinch a deal with some Australian and NZ TV suppliers so we aren't stuck feeling like you don't give a $#@! about anyone except America?

8. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    There is no such thing as "enough games" on a games console lol, even for PS2.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    How about you get your $#@! together MS and pinch a deal with some Australian and NZ TV suppliers so we aren't stuck feeling like you don't give a $#@! about anyone except America?
    lol yep.

You know what though - if MS announced that they'd be showing all rugby and league games, chuck in a few UFC/MMA fights; and that it's a waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper option than Sky, then I'm in.

....JUUUUUUST so long as I don't have to pay for XBL GOLD, on top of having to pay for the privilege to pay to use the service to do it...

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    How do you know they haven't tried and the AU/NZ content providers gave them the middle finger or wanted for to much money for the same services offered in the USA?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    lol yep. You know what though - if MS announced that they'd be showing all rugby and league games, chuck in a few UFC/MMA fights; and that it's a waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper option than Sky, then I'm in. ....JUUUUUUST so long as I don't have to pay for XBL GOLD, on top of having to pay for the privilege to pay to use the service to do it...
    You liked my little "privilege to pay" comment didnt you? lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    You liked my little "privilege to pay" comment didnt you? lol
    Absolutely.

(it's a compliment that I'm using it - if you have any more gold to steal, I'm all for it! )

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    How do you know they haven't tried and the AU/NZ content providers gave them the middle finger or wanted for to much money for the same services offered in the USA?
    lol no. Because Sky NZ wouldn't say no to money. Any kind of money.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    This Reminds me off WWE/NFL= XFL and that was a failure....

So MS/NFL= XFL
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Because I know they haven't tried, TV3 and TVNZ have both got services running on PS3 and websites. And Sky actually publicly said they wanted to do it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Absolutely. (it's a compliment that I'm using it - if you have any more gold to steal, I'm all for it! ) lol no. Because Sky NZ wouldn't say no to money. Any kind of money.
    Oh yeah I take as it a compliment. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. lol

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

Boyyyy, I tell ya...if this tv service doesn't pick up like MS is thinking...wooo, heads are going to roll within MS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    smh

Just a short while ago you were steady trying to preach "quality over quantity". Don't go having a change of heart because it's something that is supposedly working in MS favor.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 05-22-2013 at 22:06.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post

Boyyyy, I tell ya...if this tv service doesn't pick up like MS is thinking...wooo, heads are going to roll within MS.
    Its not even a $#@!ing TV service though, thats the half arsed thing about it. Its a frigin display pass through hooked up to TV.com.
    Its a $#@!ing joke.

Had they said..look direct digitally all these services that may have made sense.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It's definitely not a service. It's just a feature to combine what you already use to watch tv, and integrate it into the Xbox platform. I don't like it, and won't use it.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's definitely not a service. It's just a feature to combine what you already use to watch tv, and integrate it into the Xbox platform. I don't like it, and won't use it.
    I dont like it, and cant use it.

You know, they must be able to gather usage stats about what we get up to on our Xbox's and if they looked at mine they would see that 50% of my time its playing a DIVX'd TV programmes. I dont watch Live TV. I just don't.
    Hell even The Blue Rose which was a NZ based show I bloody downloaded.

Ultimate Veteran
    Smh...

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Um what? They just paid $400,000,000! That 400 million dollars to the NFL! Lol $#@! if I was a company and they approach me after seeing what they are willing to spend, I'll be at 350 million usds...negotiable lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Um what? They just paid $400,000,000! That 400 million dollars to the NFL! Lol $#@! if I was a company and they approach me after seeing what they are willing to spend, I'll be at 350 million usds...negotiable lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    I'm just going to ask you one question.

Apple is supposedly the darling of media companies due to the money they have generated for them through the itunes/app store. So then why are they having so much trouble securing the rights to used various media companies content for their streaming media service? Everything should be in the bag for them given their profitable history with the media companies.

Yet here we are. If even Apple has trouble with this, I don't see how people can criticize MS for this being a US only feature at launch. There is a lot more to media/entertainment services than people think.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    lots of hating and jelousy going on here because their company cant afford this deal.
    there aare over 200 million nfl fans around the world that re faantast football fanatics. this deal will pay for itself and move consoles \/ also this nfl deal will cancel out Apples deal that lets coches and plyers use ipads to store plybooks. this will be replaced with the Xbox surface tablet where coaches call plays and store playbooks. see how this del is a win for microsoft.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    lots of hating and jelousy going on here because their company cant afford this deal.
    there aare over 200 million nfl fans around the world that re faantast football fanatics. this deal will pay for itself and move consoles \/ also this nfl deal will cancel out Apples deal that lets coches and plyers use ipads to store plybooks. this will be replaced with the Xbox surface tablet where coaches call plays and store playbooks. see how this del is a win for microsoft.

Oh you.

Also, no one was jealous. It's just that time of the console generation again where people pull out the "yer jsu jealous" excuses.

Sleep well fellas. Sleep well.

26. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    lol@jealousy

@ this moving consoles

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Thread Information