Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

MS got the reveal right, but so wrong.

so MS had this BIG reveal, they said it would not be about the games (E3 for that) but about how they see the future for your/my living room and i was OK with that.

i thought the reveal went very well with some great looking improvements to kinect, but my problem?....

i live in the UK and i'm reading the box aint compatible with Sky TV (my system of choice), apparently "Xbox One is HDMI-CEC and No Sky boxes support it."

so at this time, i'm not sure i'll be wanting to buy a £399 console that will only "SNAP" to adverts and the internet.
    perhaps later if the price falls. but not a snow flakes chance in hell i'll be buying day one if it remains as it is right now.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I feel kind of the same. I haven't seen normal TV for many months. I'll watch a bit of Netflix now and then and download the rest. As for browsing I doubt anything can dethrone safari on my iPad.

I'm in it only for the games and any other features related to gaming. I'm sure there will be some presented at E3.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I did wonder if its compatible with Sky. But what about other providers like Virgin or others outside USA, there must be lots more that are not compatible.
    Please abide by the signature file size limit. Thanks. ~ Staff

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I did wonder if its compatible with Sky. But what about other providers like Virgin or others outside USA, there must be lots more that are not compatible.
    i'd imagine its US centric, so the rest will suffer (countries that is). it sure looks like MS are offering an all in one box for the US only. not good.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    The reveal would have got a pass if it wasn't after the ps4's reveal.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah the PS4 conference made me feel like Sony was targeting me as a gamer while the MS reveal didnt. But I know "wait for E3." But I already listened to the people who said wait until May 21st and all the skeptical people will be eating crow on that day. Well we saw how that worked out so I feel I have good reason to be skeptical of MS E3.

PSN ID
    mishdon
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    so MS had this BIG reveal, they said it would not be about the games (E3 for that) but about how they see the future for your/my living room and i was OK with that.

i thought the reveal went very well with some great looking improvements to kinect, but my problem?....

i live in the UK and i'm reading the box aint compatible with Sky TV (my system of choice), apparently "Xbox One is HDMI-CEC and No Sky boxes support it."

so at this time, i'm not sure i'll be wanting to buy a £399 console that will only "SNAP" to adverts and the internet.
    perhaps later if the price falls. but not a snow flakes chance in hell i'll be buying day one if it remains as it is right now.
    Apparently the XBone will come with IR blasters to control non compatible boxes, and MS will roll out updates to other countries after the launch.

Not sure if i'm really interested in the TV stuff personally.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    They got it wrong because people were expecting the next generation of gaming, like we saw with the PS4. We didn't get that... We got the next generation of home entertainment.

But even then I'm not so sure... Live TV is becoming a thing of the past and more and more people are buying tablets that fulfil all the other needs (including gaming, video, streaming to TV, music, apps). Their only hope is that kinect 2 is revolutionary.

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

This year's E3 is going to be an exciting one. I'm going with ps4 by default now, microsoft is going at a "all in one" type of system, while sony is going for a gaming console with other features packed in. Sony is focusing on games, microsoft isn't. Ps4 has a very good line up (already) of launch titles that I would be happy to buy at full price.

Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Lets be honest here, Microsoft made a mistake by not bringing anything to the table to attract gamers. I know this reveal was about the box and how they are approaching overall entertainment in the living room, Kinect and whatnot but c'mon MS... show us something from one of your exclusive tittles to reassure your support for the core audience. Now we're just skeptical.

11. Likes snooper71, Two4DaMoney , mynd likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    i'd imagine its US centric, so the rest will suffer (countries that is). it sure looks like MS are offering an all in one box for the US only. not good.
    You will get it just not right away and it's really not all on MS. There is a $#@! load of legal stuff that has to be hashed out first. Also, I saw a interview with some xbox exec where he said they may be working out a deal with soccer over there like they are doing with the NFL over here.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'd be sceptical too. I said this months ago...Next gen is all about the super saiyan manifestation of each company's focus for the last few years, which started to part ways years ago. Sony is not $#@!ing around with its laser focus on games and thats been evident since 2008 and was reflected in the reveal of PS4 with an hour of games. Also not $#@!ing around with TLOU, Beyond, GT6, Rain, Puppeteer, Until Dawn, GoW:A in the year leading upto PS4. Paired with the Vita, GaiKai and Sony's WWS, the message at Sony's message at their reveal event was clear.

What have we been seeing recently from MS? Sports apps and media apps, Kinect and family fun and the same 4 exclusives. What did MS choose to send out the message of its new console? TV, Kinect, sports and Forza/CoD. I know that they are showing the games at E3 but that's not what you do to core gamers when you reveal the next gen console to them, you don't wrap it in a $#@!ing cable box service that only Americans can use to any real benefit. This is supposed to be a big epic moment, what they pulled off was an insult to the core. Why are games coming second at E3? Because they are second priority, evident by the claims of them not targetting higher end specs. But MS knows that it can get away with this. For the last several years it has only put out the same 4 games and has had roaring success. Even if MS's E3 presser reveals somegood $#@!, it's still a $#@! move to have such a snorfest of a reveal.

Forum Sage
    Seems a lot of people here are complaining just for the sake of complaining. As if a 19 day wait is going to kill you.

Seriously grow up.

Jeff: ‘I feel like going in we knew going in there would not be a ton games. I can stand to see some games [laughs].’

Albert: ‘Yes. You read the internet. When you go through this, you sort of know it's going to happen. I kind of joke ‘’damned if you do, damn if you don’t’’. When I go back and look at E3, we always take a ton of stick for that part where we want to talk about the other parts the system does. ’

Jeff: ‘Exactly.’

Albert: ‘So we said: Hey, let’s have a briefing that sort of goes and talks about our aspirations and I hope [mumbles]. Everybody was super consciences of saying that like that is not what this one [conference] was. This is about talking the overall vision, announce the name, what we’re trying to do, give some context about hardware. That will free us up for E3 to just like, nail it on games.’

(Further in the podcast)

Albert: ‘This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like. We took that over and made it into an event and said ‘let’s talk about what we’re trying to do and get that out of the way. And that frees us up for E3.’’
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...20#post6090820

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Seems a lot of people here are complaining just for the sake of complaining. As if a 19 day wait is going to kill you.

Seriously grow up.

Says the guy that can't accept other people opinions

"Waiting" doesn't make this reveal a lesser $#@! up towards those that were letdown.

Edit:Just follow your own advice and try not to get so mad.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 05-24-2013 at 00:54.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Says the guy that can't accept other people opinions

"Waiting" doesn't make this reveal a lesser $#@! up towards those that were letdown.
    I can accept an informed and reasoned opinion. Most of the opinions I have seen recently are not.

A 19 day wait is nothing. Those that claim to be disappointed clearly didn't read the press release about the May 21st event released in april. It they can't even be bothered to do that, why should their opinion matter?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff

Well, I agree with you in that I'm concerned about compatibility with the myriads of different cable boxes out there world wide and even just inside the US. However, does that really matter as to whether or not we'd purchase one? I mean, my PS3 does movie rentals and purchases along with music and I've used it, just for the sake of using it, but I just use my Apple TV and regular TV/cablebox 99.9% of the time. I'm betting that to get that smartphone like functionality to do fantasy football along with the NFL, you'll need the NFL package that you can buy now. Since it's almost $400, I wouldn't be buying it anyway.

I think the features MS showed on the new Xbox are very cool. I just can't see using them myself and am doubtful as to whether those functions add enough to really influence people as regards to sales of the product itself. I don't personally think it will matter. It's cool, but not cool enough for me to want to buy one. We'll see. I just don't think that just having those features should make you not buy one if you want one. After all, if you have a 360 or PS3 now, you can't and don't do that kind of thing. So if you buy a console that can do it but doesn't work with your equipment you're in no different place than you are today. Make sense?

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yep that guy nailed it. Looking very forward to Sony's E3 which I have no doubt will kick the crap out of MS E3 show. MS really stepped in it this time. Whoever is in charge and making these decisions at MS has done a pretty good job of destroying the brand.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-24-2013 at 03:48.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yep that guy nailed it. Looking very forward to Sony's E3 which I have no doubt will kick the crap out of MS E3 show. MS really stepped in it this time. Whoever is in charge and making these decisions at MS has done a pretty good job of destroying the brand.
    I think it's clear that XBO target demographic has shifted towards the casuals and the less casuals and, I blame kinect. Ever since kinect 1 their focus has been on kinect. Don't get me wrong everything about kinect 2 looks excellent and innovative and I'd love to see that tech evolve but not at the cost of less innovative games for the core gamer. I wouldn't say the brand is destroyed thought, it's just not targeting us so far.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyThree View Post
    I think it's clear that XBO target demographic has shifted towards the casuals and the less casuals and, I blame kinect. Ever since kinect 1 their focus has been on kinect. Don't get me wrong everything about kinect 2 looks excellent and innovative and I'd love to see that tech evolve but not at the cost of less innovative games for the core gamer. I wouldn't say the brand is destroyed thought, it's just not targeting us so far.
    By destroyed I meant dead to me as a core gamer. And yeah youre right Kinect was the start of all of this. I'm definitely no longer MS target demographic but I am Sony's so its PS4 for me.

Elite Sage
    Though I'm not really interested in Kinect 2, it works how I imagined Kinect 1 was going to work. I want to see how it's pulled off in, lets say, a fps. I can't imagine it making the experience better because it seems like you would be able to perform the action faster and more accurate with the controller. I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    By destroyed I meant dead to me as a core gamer. And yeah youre right Kinect was the start of all of this.
    Gotcha.
    I'm still holding off till E3 before I declare them dead for me lol.

Forum Sage
    If Move had taken off like Kinect did, do you not think sony would have put more of an emphasis on it with the PS4?

Though I'm not really interested in Kinect 2, it works how I imagined Kinect 1 was going to work. I want to see how it's pulled off in, lets say, a fps. I can't imagine it making the experience better because it seems like you would be able to perform the action faster and more accurate with the controller. I'm willing to be proven wrong.
    It won't replace the controller for shooters, racers and the like. It will augment the controller.

Administrator
    Same here. I'm really interested to see what they can do with it but like you remain skeptical. I'm part of the cores and I just don't feel comfortable without a controller on my hands while playing games. Will see though.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I think people are taking this too far. These days everyone seems to love $#@!ing about anything and everything even if they haven't seen the full picture. The fact that social media is huge right now exacerbates the whole thing. There wouldn't be this much complaining 10 years ago because people wouldn't have a platform to do so.

I expected a lot less from MS. I was actually surprised at how good their recent conference went. I was expecting worse. I knew it wasn't going to be about all the games. I expected no less than to hear about the system and their aspirations.

It is hard to please people these days.

(This post is not aimed at any specific person on this forum or out of this forum it is just something I have noticed all around the internet. Just so no one gets the wrong idea.)
    Last edited by EHY893; 05-24-2013 at 04:46.

Thread Information